Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

Linky

Dean Hall intends to leave developer Bohemia and step down as leader of his hit video game DayZ by the end of the year, Eurogamer can exclusively reveal. The game he created will be left in the hands of the team he leads today.

• Like 4

Why would he do that exactly?

And this leads me to the comment I have been making to my friends:  Dean seems to be saying he wants to put everything plus the kitchen sink into this game.  My one friend who is in the field of game development (he is on the art side but has worked for major publishers on AAA games like Halo 3 and Destiny) says that DayZ is a long way from being a real stable product and seems to lack a focused design doc.  Everytime I see things like Dean wanting to add horses and dogs and underground bases, I am left wondering if he and his team really want to make a finished game anytime soon or if they even know what is achievable.

• Like 18

Let's not forget that DayZ mod was also "abandoned" after not ever year...and it flourished in the hands of community.

By the end of the year, we will hopefully have beta version, which should be much better in terms of content and performance.

Im trying to say its not all doom and gloom.

It might be for the better (of both him and the game).

DayZ generates so much profit, it will not be abandoned. That's for sure.

Now Bohemia is an experienced game design company. They will continue to make this game great.

• Like 7

Have to be honest that I am not suprised Dean is leaving and that the standalone has kinda disappointed me... The dev team lacks the vision and they keep adding new things no one wants while the core of the game is broken.

• Like 25

Let's not forget that DayZ mod was also "abandoned" after not ever year...and it flourished in the hands of community.

By the end of the year, we will hopefully have beta version, which should be much better in terms of content and performance.

Im trying to say its not all doom and gloom.

No it isn't but I guess I had the wrong impression of Dean i.e. that DayZ SA was his "baby" and therefore I find it strange that he is already announcing his departure barely 2-3 months after the alpha release.

• Like 16

I don't see how the core of the game is broken.

I will say that I am not one who sees this as doom and gloom.  This is Dean's baby, but what is it he really does?  He is a visionary type, but his vision is already here.  At this point, finishers need to get to work.

• Like 5

wow, you would have thought he would stick it out until it was in a state of release condition, wtf, so many people bought it because of promises of being better than ever not abandoned, leaving it in the hands of Bohemia isn't that appealing.

Edited by haarp
  • Like 5

This is ummm, very disappointing of him. Im not shocked... But to announce this so early? Its like he is admitting he is already done and moving on... AHHH Scary thoughts, scary thoughts.

Hmmmm.... speechless.

Edit: I just think if you know that this is eventually not going to be YOUR game and so soon, how much care can possibly go into it? He already plays it like he doesnt know wtf he is doing... AHHHH!

Edited by Blissful
  • Like 3

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

:o

On the bright side, maybe in a couple of years we can play something like DayZ, with Dean behind it..on a spanking new unclunky engine ;)

• Like 10

On the bright side, maybe in a couple of years we can play something like DayZ, with Dean behind it..on a spanking new unclunky engine ;)

I hear the next game is set around Everest and includes Yetis.

• Like 23

The end of the year is 10 months away people....calm down.

We refuse :D

Everest ? Gonna need more morphine.

• Like 7

I just dont understand the point of remaking DayZ Standalone at all then. I thought the point was to clean it up and make it the DayZ experience everyone wanted... Hence building it from the ground up... Not gonna lie kinda freaked out.

• Like 6

that will start around around december and finish the following december after climbing k2

• Like 3

Yeah, that's something like around when the game turns beta. :) Great time for the project lead (and author of the concept) to leave.

well with not too much extra done and then announcing you leaving early in alpha what do you expect from gamers?

from what we understand hell just be going as we get features that are in the mod now near christmas.

• Like 1