Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

This is all speculative. We don't know the exact deal Rocket has with Bohemia. We don't know what his paycheck looks like, or if he receives any bonuses, or if he got a one time sum or what. You're also assuming he didn't have the money saved to start his own studio even before he started to work with Bohemia on SA. Maybe he just didn't feel that the time was right yet? Basically there are so many what ifs and maybes that factor into this speculation that it is indeed pointless. I can, just off the top of my head, think of at least five scenarios that are plausible, although neither of them have been considered in this thread. It's all just "mimimi Dean stole all my monies".

This isn't news. He has said this multiple times and I also believe he said it some where during PAX or E3. It's on YT of him answering questions.

• Like 1

This isn't news. He has said this multiple times and I also believe he said it some where during PAX or E3. It's on YT of him answering questions.

He did that statement of him leaving several months ago, but apparently it's news flash all of a sudden.

• Like 2

@Highlander: A lot of games base on the same engine and are totally different games. Take the Unity Engine - a lot of games use it and everyone of them claims to be a whole new game. And you have to watch out...a game engine =/= graphics engine =/= physics engine etc. e.g. the unreal engine (graphics engine, but no ganme engine).

Most Studios do not develop an own engine, instead they buy an existing one.

And DaZ does not derivate from ArmA 3...it derivates from Arma2, Arrowhead.

DayZ Standalone utilizes the Take On Helicopter engine, which is a branch of the Arma II Operation Arrowhead engine Real Virtuality.

so...like 2.5. But to make things possible, that weren't possible in the 2.5 engine, it had to be built up from scratch again. Looks simialr, feels similar, allows more, because it is especially developed for DayZs needs....if it is correct what we are told ;)

Interesting. I got that Take on Helicopter game but I haven+t tried it yet. You seem to know alot about this tho. What do you think, shouldn't they be working faster than this? It's been what, 3 weeks since the last update and the changelog is very poor indeed with one hoe and more hats I think...I have a feeling that they are developing atm features that technically they wont be able to implement into stable version half a year from now or more.

Edited by Highlander007

Interesting. I got that Take on Helicopter game but I haven+t tried it yet. You seem to know alot about this tho. What do you think, shouldn't they be working faster than this? It's been what, 3 weeks since the last update and the changelog is very poor indeed with one hoe and more hats I think...I have a feeling that they are developing atm features that technically they wont be able to implement into stable version half a year from now or more.

There are plenty more stuff being implemented other than hats and a farming hoe, if the experimental servers are anything to go by.

I just now got chased by a shitload of zombies, faster and more aggressive than before. Had to drop my shotgun because it was empty and take out my revolver. Unloaded all kinds of hell on them but got swarmed and had to abandon my shotgun and run for cover to bandage. Then ran back down to the shotgun to pick it up. Got swarmed again, ran for cover to bandage again. Took me four tries just to pick up that shotgun. Thought I was gonna die. From zombies. When did you ever think you'd die from zombies last time?

Ran into the woods and logged out, because I had to calm down a bit. What a rush!

Ah, I'm a programmer (java/C#/VB.Net, so nothing fancy, not even in the gaming industry) so I have another start up on these things...and I like to inform myself on topics I'm interested in.

Working faster...that's a tough question, since I can't say how fast they work now.

But you can't take the initial weekly updates as "normal" speed, because most of the things that were in them, were already premade by the designers & developers that were not needed for pushing out the Alpha release, so that these things for the first updates could brought out pretty fast.

I'd say it's still a pretty fast development now, regarding what is done there.

And if you look at the changelog, you'll see some things that are huge. And I mean real huge across all departments of  the dev team, like physics. Yeah, they are disabled at the moment, but as we could see in different streams, they work on internal. To make them work, it's not only physics (which bz´tw. is often an own engine, mostly only bought by dev teams and also not built) like "item has to fall down when in air" but also things like math - throwing items: how fast do they fly? How fast do they drop? And since it was mentioned that every item (!) will have a physic-based weight because they will all be of other materials (not only visual for the player but for the program!) you can imagine how horrible it is to perfect this. Or that items don't "slide" down when they hit somethign but bounce off...and what if a player is hit? What material does what? An empty crisp-box should not hurt, but a stone may do, even if both are thrown from the same distance with the same force. And what, if the player that gets hit, moves?  I know we are used to physics in game since some years, but as said before: Most use bought engines. So you see...that's really huge. And I mean HUGE. It will (I think) also affect ballistics (bulletdrop etc.) which are now calculated but will later be part of that...

Or the new melee animations. Doesn't look much, but in fact it changes the whole gameplay - how is it swung, when does it hit, how does it hit etc etc. The fact that this could be implemented that fast is a good sign, that the DayZ engine is built properly - that means it is easy to extend for the needs of DayZ

Or the lightning and HDR improvements...look at them and look at older pictures. the difference is amazing...and it won't cost you fps. That is (for programmers) so amazing to see...and so hard to understand as a player that never saw network code...

And other parts of the dev team work als hard it seems...Svetlo isn't THAT long part of the map and a new town comes, cities have been updated, new buildings in every city and still it looks not like pasted together, even if you know most of the buildings. It looks organic.

And in the background the new medical system starts to roll out (heart attacks/getting damp), which is (if dean told the truth ;)) easy to build on so that new diseases etc. can be brought in fast...And don't forget the Zombie Respawn System, also, it seems, their pathfinding is better, the wall glitch is not that common anymore, and the collision detection is a little bit better i have the feeling, dozens of bugfixes...

Well, it's actual the biggest update by now, from my point of view ;) Not that much fancy items but real huge things in the background...^^

Edit: Sorry. Didn't mean to write that much, it's just fascinating for me to see how DayZ unfolds :)

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1

Last time i played the mod.

Take a guess: Am I talking about the mod, or the standalone?

Points for most irrelevant post.

Take a guess: Am I talking about the mod, or the standalone?

Points for most irrelevant post.

Same zombies. You didn't get my whatchumacallit 'gist'?

@Laughing Jack, Seems like, if they keep hammering at it, we will get our perfect zombie game whether Dean likes it or not.

Oh, Dean would LOVE it. Not because it's his "baby" (and it is; as a programmer you hate your programs as much as you love them - just because you made them. Sounds strange, is strange, but that's how I feel about every program I did a big part of ;)), not because in the end it's only HIS reputation not BIs that stands or falls with DayZ, and not because of the royalties h might get - just because (and I'm pretty sure on that one) he wants to see it become popular and played all over the world and bring people joy, even if it is not perfect in his mind. But well, he said he finds flaws in everything he does, even when he drives he criticizes himself for things he could have done better.^^

I don't know if it will be perfect, but I think it will be great. And perfection...well...you never know when you may have reached it. ;) That's the mean part about perfection - because something can always be done better.

And for DayZ...there will be flaws (there are always flaws in every game), but as I said: I believe, it will be a great game with so much more inside than being a "Zombie Game".

I wish you were into programming, so that you could analyze, like I do it, every update that comes and think at some points "Wow. I did not think that this would be possible with that engine and the things that are in there by now. They must have programmed it total into the base of it months ago, to get it work that way now." ;)

Yeah I know, I'm a strange dude, but heck, I'm a programmer. Most of us are in one way or the other ;)

Ahm....Yes, you are right, and (i hope) inbetween all are aware of that....but actually (if you read the last 2 pages or so), we were debating the changes being made to DayZ within the last update and where it might lead etc. ;) and eben before that, the discussion was already about other things as well ^^

But you are right in reminding us unknowingly, that this might be the wrong thread for that discussion ;)

Oh my, I have to report my own post to Orlok...that thread is derailed...and...it can be closed....FINALLY! ;)

Edited by LaughingJack

Same zombies. You didn't get my whatchumacallit 'gist'?

Yeah some people speculate that it is the same zombies as in the mod. Either way it is a step in the right direction, and they have said that it's a simple respawning mechanism that they're testing out. That sounds a whole lot like a wip, meaning even if it was the same zombies as in the mod it very well might not be when they're done with them.

If they are using the same code I don't even see a problem with it. Otherwise it'd be like

"Hey, my Maserati feels hella good in corners now 'cause of the grip on these new tires."

"It's the same tires as on that old Lada over there."

"Ffffffuuuuuuu.."

Oh my, I have to report my own post to Orlok...that thread is derailed...and...it can be closed....FINALLY! ;)

Hello there

I don't think even I have the power to close this thread, its like Frankenstien's Monster.

Anyhoo, back on topic, please.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I hope whoever will be the new lead designer after Rocket is going to add PVE mode and other stuff to make the game more user friendly. I mean we already have 3rd person view as the main gamemode so why not. Everyone is happy. People get to play what they want and BI makes more money from a bigger audience.

Edited by myshl0ng

Hello there

I don't think even I have the power to close this thread, its like Frankenstien's Monster.

Anyhoo, back on topic, please.

Rgds

LoK

I have been waiting for you to say Frankensteins Monster for near on two years.

Success !

• Like 2

I want a mobile version to play on my smartphone on the train. And I want dice! And put some Magic - The Gathering cards in! I want to have fun with my friends!

New year is here. Did he leave?

Yes.

Also, holy necro batman.

• Like 2