Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

I see everyone quoting his answer but.... what was the question that led up to this being his answer? 

I freaked out a lil at first but a bit of reading it was obvious he just wants to go back home to NZ and not live in Prague forever. He's not abandoning the game, he just wants to go home. That's the difference. 

It's not forever is it. 

Rocket needs to man up and finish what he started.

in one week people will forget that to prepare for next rage in 10 months

Edited by Felthat

The way I look at it is...

With out dean I think DayZ will become more like Arma with Zombies. I would guess the survival aspect would probably be similar to now pretty much a non issue finding food/water etc...

With Dean that could still be possible but less likely imo.

I have already gotten my money worth imo, if it becomes DayArma, I will just stop playing and move on to another qame in my steam library.

Ha knew it.. I wrote this post two days ago and everyone flamed me for it.

"Plus lets look at dean halls track record..as a dayz fan who had super high expectations i obsessively searched up daily news on ANY news websites or blogs dealing with the anything to do with dayz and progress on the standalone. I did this almost daily/weekly for an entire year and a half trying to get the scoop on dayz.. What i found was constant bad news and i initially didnt think dayz would ever come out based on the things i read. First lets start out with the multiple articles about dean hall throwing in the towel several times during development and quitting, Luckily he came back each time but there are also numerous reports of dean hall saying things in interviews like "I am just so sick of zombies" and talking about how he wants to go on to other things.. Not to mention reports of the few people he worked with flat out saying how rocket is very childish and difficult to work with. So would i be surprised if dayz standalone gets quickly labeled as beta than final than abandoned forever? NOT AT ALL.. And why you ask? Because of the fact that throughout all of dayz standalones sucess, he STILL has decided AGAINST starting his own gaming company or opening a studio."

I basically called it out that dean hall would do this.. He is like a child in a grown mans body. He states how he is too afraid to take risks and putting other peoples jobs at risk by making changes to the mod that people will not like?? What a wuss! Im glad he is standing down because being a successful game developer is a very risk dependent field. And we need someone who is not afriad of their own shadow to take over dayz..Yeah making billions of dollars is sooo scary right dean hall? So heres an idea lets just promise everyone so much from standalone than quit right after the first wave of all the initial sales.. This is why i've always been against early acess.. You shouldn't give companies money for unfinished games.

And the fact that dean hall flat out said that he doesn't see DayZ overcoming it's flaws and becoming the game we all wanted it to be.. MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD US THAT BEFORE YOU PUT A $30 PRICETAG ON IT YOU FUCKING DOUCHEBAG!!!! that just fills me with rage..

If you have no hope in dayz leave RIGHT NOW and spare us all a year of half assed work

Edited by randalmcdaniels

Must be conflicting to like the creation so much, but dislike the creator so strongly. 

This news truly worries me because it's unclear what state the game will be in before he leaves. Will it be near finished? Will it be set back?

I think of all the times game leads changed hands before the game was finished, and it's almost always a complete disaster.

• Like 1

You played a £19.99 alpha you were advised not to buy for 188 hours and you feel scammed?

I would get a warning from the mods if I said what I think of this forum's users at times.

Game development stalled because he needs to go on vacation. Then he steps down off his alpha project before it even sees a full release? 

Ridiculous. Stringing along 1 million people into buying an Alpha then abandoning the project as soon as he can get out with the money. 

• Like 1

It makes sense to be honest, and I respect his decision because its what he wants. Trust me, guys, not many people in the games or digital effects industries get to actually do what they want. Under normal circumstances they get tossed around like disposable assets (see the Irrational shutdown for a recent example).

I look forward to seeing what Dean can come up with at the helm for the next 10 months, then what he does afterwards.

• Like 1

Game development stalled because he needs to go on vacation. Then he steps down off his alpha project before it even sees a full release? 

Ridiculous. Stringing along 1 million people into buying an Alpha then abandoning the project as soon as he can get out with the money. 

Why wouldn't he be allowed to climb Mt. Everest?

When he climbed Mt. Everest had you personally handed over any money to Rocket, had he made any specific promises to you? Did youexpect him to cancel a $100.000 trip because you downloaded the DayZ mod for free? How did you get fooled into buying the Standalone? Did you not read the allcaps warning on the sale's page, did you not read the development road map on the sale's page?

You bought a game, not a person.

A game is bigger than one person.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

I trust Bohemia that they will do well. I think Dean is visionary and popular, but Bohemia is responsible and trustworthy as they have proven with other games. Never understood why everything focusses on Dean in that strange way, while there is obviously a great team on his side which deserves faith and support. So I have in no way any doubt this game will be inspiring and fun for a long time to come.

• Like 1

To all folks mentioning risc of "health bars" or "fast travel", ask yourself one question.

Is Bohemia Interactive known for casual and simplistic games, or for mil-sim like games for hardcore players?

Btw I'm also sad to hear Dean leaving, but that was to be expected.

Maybe he should have announced this somewhere around June - July, then again it might be the same shitstorm.

Sorry, but you went full r**ard mode now. Bohemia Interactive will take care of leading the development, they are funding it from start !
Also it's not like they will fire the whole team and just close DayZ hive, development will continue and in time, after some years, there might be even sequel on newer engine.

No you just went full retard.

Sorry so you are saying you expected rocket to leave half way through the development cycle??.

You expected that and that's fine even though the name dayz and rocket go hand in hand he wont even be involved with the finishing of the product he sold us all on a boat of lies.

As i said you're the one going full retard.

BI has a terrible terrible track record on releasing games.

A3 released un-finished and they asked modders to finish the game for them.

Thinking Dean would stay on through the development process was a big reason I invested in the early access.

I don't care what the hell he does after DayZ.

I expect the game to GO OFF THE RAILS pre-to-mid BETA as BI's skeleton crew attempts to draw together release sales.

I personally won't be putting any stock into Dean's "Announcements" "Upcoming Features" for the time he reamains at BI.

I'll listen to the person who's going to FINISH the project.

• Like 2

You expected that and that's fine even though the name dayz and rocket go hand in hand he wont even be involved with the finishing of the product he sold us all on a boat of lies.

I don't recall Dean ever saying he was going to make DayZ his life's work. My only concern is if the other ~30 developers continue to deliver.

I expect the game to GO OFF THE RAILS pre-to-mid BETA as BI's skeleton crew attempts to draw together release sales.

I said this to you in the other thread, but you don't seem to listen so I'll repeat myself here: Those ~30 developers on that team are not a skeleton crew, I played the mod bad when Dean himself was the only person working on it and that was a skeleton crew. If you think the developers are going to suck so badly without him then why are you still playing? They've been doing most of the work since before standalone was launched, this game is just as much their work as it is Dean's.

When are you leaving? You expect the game to "GO OFF THE RAILS", when will I stop seeing your inane drivel?

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

So did Rocket several months ago.

Called it before Rocket called it before you attempted to call me on calling it after Rocket initially called it.

I got over 200 hours worth of entertainment (and agony) out if this game. Thirty dollars well spent, even if the doomsayers are right. I think my purchase was a wiser decision than a AAA single-player title with ten hours of gameplay priced at sixty dollars.

• Like 5

this is the exact reason why paid early access is a BAD IDEA...

steam should take the game down

BI has a terrible terrible track record on releasing games.

A3 released un-finished and they asked modders to finish the game for them.

Thinking Dean would stay on through the development process was a big reason I invested in the early access.

I don't care what the hell he does after DayZ.

I personally won't be putting any stock into Dean's "Announcements" "Upcoming Features" for the time he reamains at BI.

I'll listen to the person who's going to FINISH the project.

I can't understand people who are like "that's alright".

He said he'd finish it. He also said it's a fundametally flawed concept. How can you people think it will be alright if the man in charge of finishing the game says the entire f*cking concept of it flawed? I'd be depressed and unmotivated working on a title I considered flawed by design, but the problem is, up to this point, Dean was all up in the air how excited and awesome it is to work on this. 1.5 million reasons made him change his mind I guess.

• Like 3

I got over 200 hours worth of entertainment (and agony) out if this game. Thirty dollars well spent, even if the doomsayers are right. I think my purchase was a wiser decision than a AAA single-player title with ten hours of gameplay priced at sixty dollars.

Plus you do still have more content to look forward to, regardless of what the doomsayers...uh.. say.

This isn't the first time, he's said he wouldn't lead DayZ forever. Today's announcement isn't actually that much of a shock for anyone, who's followed the development, however his past statements have obviously become much more concrete after Eurogamer's article, that's all. 

Edited by Dallas

Nooooooo. Lol. It sucks but a lot can be accomplished in 10 months.

Wasn't there a huge thread about how this would happen not to long ago? By some guy that said that he was a game developer? I don't know if that guy was right but this sure seems like he could have been. 

It seems like Rocket didn't have as much control over SA as he thought he would. Rocket has always been the straightforward type but usually when a person announces that they're going to eventually leave they go cliche and say something like "I want to thank BI for giving me the opportunity" not "I never wanted to be here". 

To me it feels like he's sticking it to BI and trying to let us know that they screwed him. 

this is the exact reason why paid early access is a BAD IDEA...

steam should take the game down

Why? Development is not stopping, only one man is leaving. You're... I wish I could say what you are, the mods would not like it.

• Like 2

watch any recorded time dean has played the SA.

I know some of it is hilarious anything anyone says and rockets pretty much like 'yep were going to have that in there' or the best one 'i thought that was already in'.

This game is going to be a fail, look how slow the progress is, none of the underlying architecture which was meant to make this game different from the mod has even been implemented yet. When are they going to get rid of all the same problems they brought over from the mod (they are not going to btw because if they could they would have done it already). How can they get the massive increase in performance they need to add in all the stuff the community wants and if it is possible why are we not all running the game at 100 fps in preparation for all that stuff already because according to the DEVS' we hardly have anything in the game yet compared to what they were planning or more over 'WHAT ROCKET HAS SAID'.

What have we had so far in two months, three extra zombies in each town. three new guns and a few hats and jackets, woopty fucking doo. Barely a scratch of performance increase. Loads of server hopping. Zombies still clipping through walls, animations that make no sense. Oh and didn't rocket want to re do the way damage is done... Good luck with that, they don't have the resources to change anything.

Someone said earlier rocket leaving will not make a difference to the team. Actually if you take 1 away from 10 people because that's how tiny this team is you have just taken away 1/10 of the workforce. There are more janitors in the office building then there are staff working on this game, thats what 1.5 million pounds gets you now days.

• Like 1