Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

i am feeling scammed now!

You played a £19.99 alpha you were advised not to buy for 188 hours and you feel scammed?

I would get a warning from the mods if I said what I think of this forum's users at times.

• Like 3

Not to boast, or take a stab, or make a point, but in a long boring post I made before this happened I described the development and potential of the game in the same way Rocket did. I think, guys, its time to lower our expectations.

One of the best things about Rocket is that he's transparent even if it's going to cause a violent reaction.  Sadly the reason that he's the rare exception is because of the lack of moderation in communities like this.  (Anyone remember death threats to the developers for modifying damage rates in Black Ops II?)

It is for this reason that everywhere else we're given next-to-no information and the scraps we do get are heavily censored with a image/marketing/legal filter.  I'll take Rocket's direct communication style all day, thank you very much.  

• Like 2

Why would he do that exactly?

Because he has said it himself already - that he wouldn't continue post release.

Sixty percent sure we'll never see a finished game. I don't mind that I already paid, I got more than enough entertainment out of the game, but it's the last time I join an early access. We might not even have a beta until he leaves.

Too many apologists on here man, damn.

to the people SO deeply emotionally invovled in beleiving in rocket's flawless vision and integrity...

i'm sorry.

the cult leader left while you we're making the punch.

he had a cheque to cash.

• Like 1

Thats great news. So Something like dayz without the crappy bohemia engine/developer.

I mean seriously no multithreading and objectorianted in a game in 2005...

One of the best things about Rocket is that he's transparent even if it's going to cause a violent reaction.  Sadly the reason that he's the rare exception is because of the lack of moderation in communities like this.  (Anyone remember death threats to the developers for modifying damage rates in Black Ops II?)

It is for this reason that everywhere else we're given next-to-no information and the scraps we do get are heavily censored with a image/marketing/legal filter.  I'll take Rocket's direct communication style all day, thank you very much.  

Transparent, yeah sure man.  Sure yeah. Deffo! 

He says this, you know, now.  After everyone bought the game he's now abandoning.  

The timing as to when he chooses to be transparent is fantastic.  For his wallet that is.

Edited by electroban

"I know it’s hard to predict, but how long do you see yourself working on DayZ?

Hall: I think right now, realistically, the next 12 months. Particularly if a console port came in—or ports, if there were changes to certain consoles. I’d say I’m probably being realistic there, to deal with that."

thats from june, and yet still people cry

Edited by Felthat
  • Like 2

Will I never be free from the multitudes of the intellectually unwashed?

No.

The beauty of the Internet is that it connects billions of people who can instantly make rational comments and arguments so that they may thresh out their ideas and come to a conclusion about an issue. It's also a soundboard for total fuckwits with nary an ounce of common sense or anything that could be measured as "intelligence level greater than damp moss".

Anyway, obvious troll is obvious.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

to the people SO deeply emotionally invovled in beleiving in rocket's flawless vision and integrity...

i'm sorry.

the cult leader left while you we're making the punch.

he had a cheque to cash.

So if I don't have that much faith it means I was a cultist worshipping a leader? Take your dramatisation and evict yourself.

obv troll thread? yes.

vaild point made by troll thread? YES

Now Bohemia is an experienced game design company. They will continue to make this game great.

I recently bought Arma 3 and looks like they abandoned that game. FPS in multiplayer is absolutely unplayable. Hardly any servers. Awesome game, but online plays like crap.

• Like 1

Because I feel it does and could care less what some mod thinks.

That nice, we already have an existing topic on this though, so merged.

• Like 1

I have returned from the land of mystics and fairies!

I see the Deanpocalypse is in full-swing.

I guess I'm on the fence. Rocket's always been a pretty self-motivated guy, so what he wants, he does. And it's not like he hasn't been talking about doing other things for a while now. I'm all for him doing something that is fulfilling.

But, he always used to talk about how development was dependent on him making something. It sounds self-centered when I say it, but it didn't come off that way when he did. Either way, it suggests to me that he has a very central role in the creative process. So it might short-change the end product if he dips out. Yes, I get that the year is young. But still, I think we as a community need some hard, undoubted, planned-out assurances that DayZ will progress to a more acceptable/playable state. Definitive roadmaps, not vague "this is what we're working on, and we'll get it out when we get it out" or "this is what we'd like to do, maybe!"

I guess I just want a clear and concise "this is happening next, X will be taking over for Dean, things will proceed unabated" type of message.

I guess some people don't know how the business world works. Just because he says he will still be involved doesn't mean he will be.

How many people on this forum consistently go and visit their previous place of employment and/or do work for them? How many people remain in contact with their previous employers?

What happened here is a 10-month termination. I've given notice at my current job 7 months ahead of time because I had no idea if it'd be leaving in 1 month (Dec '13) or if my wife was going to get assigned her position in August '14. My job already hired my replacement... how does that make me feel? Not very easy, that's for sure. My job's paying two salaries right now instead of a single one. Don't you think that it'd be more money-smart for the company to let me go once the new guy knows his shit?

They could decide to let him go as soon as they have a replacement for him. That's it. He lost his ties and any sort of allegiance from BIS the moment he stepped in his boss' office and said he was leaving. Period.

What effects Dean has on the process, the pipeline and continued development will be up in the air. Personally, even though I have no idea how he runs his pipeline, I feel there's no direction. Assets are added even though core gameplay elements are still lacking or under-developed. You would figure that assets are the easiest to add and as long as the core elements are working, should be cinch to implement. Why have rabbits (with Zombie sounds) when you can't do anything with them yet, and are at this point, a pure annoyance and taking up processing resources? I know it's a small thing, but here's a lot of these "small things" and that's a problem.

Anyways... I'm off my soap box. This move by Dean was weird and I hope BIS follows through on the vision of DayZ.

I'm with you 100% on this.  I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dean was forced out, given his childish and condescending behavior (as seen through is twitch streams) and the directionless nature of this game.  I think the game lost its vision when this Rocket character first thought he could head up a development team.  I hope BIS has some good executives that will get a real adult with vision in there continuing this game. 

This is ummm, very disappointing of him. Im not shocked... But to announce this so early? Its like he is admitting he is already done and moving on... AHHH Scary thoughts, scary thoughts.

Hmmmm.... speechless.

Edit: I just think if you know that this is eventually not going to be YOUR game and so soon, how much care can possibly go into it? He already plays it like he doesnt know wtf he is doing... AHHHH!

he has announced it this early so he doesnt cause panic amongst the community, if he said it like a week before he left then people would start complaining that they paid for the game they want a full release before hes done with it. its so we full understand i guess

I think iBane got it nearly right:

And here's what rocket said on reddit:

And for gods sake (or whoever you worship) please don't get hung up now on the "not the best game i can make" -.-

He wants a perfect game. DayZ can not be perfect. That's the flaw.

..he IS far to direct and honest for a lot of people.

Edit: And also:

FTAz2pF.png

I think all this shows is how full of shit Dean really is.  Come on.  

No wonder 'famous' people and celebs act the way they do when there is an army of plebeian morons supporting every pointless action they make.

The guy could have said 'it's a flawed concept that's obviously not going to work, therefore we're abandoning the project and it'll stay at aplha'

There would be an army of people supporting and defending this. it's a facet of a wider problem with modern society, people are willing to accept everything that's forced down theirs throats and they'll be happy about it ffs!!

I think we as a community need some hard, undoubted, planned-out assurances that DayZ will progress to a more acceptable/playable state. Definitive roadmaps, not vague "this is what we're working on, and we'll get it out when we get it out" or "this is what we'd like to do, maybe!"

Agree.

This is what I've been grumbling about all along.

That's why I said the whole community <-> developer communication is not as it should be. 

Some information here, more information there, on Reddit, on Twitter, on facebook, on Youtube, on Streams but always vague and "would be cool to X...", "Maybe" but never any facts.

• Like 2

Agree.

This is what I've been grumbling about all along.

That's why I said the whole community <-> developer communication is not as it should be. 

Some information here, more information there, on Reddit, on Twitter, on facebook, on Youtube, on Streams but always vague and "would be cool to X...", "Maybe" but never any facts.

people's "faith in rocket's vision" made that type of roadmapping acceptable.

Not anymore.

Well I don't think Dean should speak as a PR person for any company. I was also suspicious when he went to climb Mt. Everest while DayZ Alpha was released. I don't think it's ok, that he often does not know, what is in the game, what not and does he sometimes misses a clear concept when he talks or that he doesn't hand out the dev roadmap or set definitive dates for the release of milestones...

But full of shit? I don't know why? Because he gives an announcment that he will leave in a year to go home, if he thinks the game is in a condition where he can account it? Or did ya mean sth else?

Edited by LaughingJack

This is what I feel is happening/happened:

- Dean develops DayZ mod for Arma II

- BI recognizes it could be a standalone game and incentivizes Dean to be the lead designer, he accepts.

- Dean gets a team to work on the SA

- Since BI is not sure about how many units they'll be able to sell, they advise releasing an early access version. (To see what interest is out there)

- Dean's team rework the RV3 engine to suit the SA better, Early access goes live.

- millions of ppl buy the early access. Money rolls in.

- Dean realizes he can't implement everything he wanted in the game due to engine limitations. His team advises him on what's possible and what's not.

- Since reworking the game fundamentally (new engine) is not plausible:

- Dean decides to move on, take the money he made and put it into his own studio.

Future:

- Dean creates a new game studio, hires a team

- The new project will probably be another survival simulator with a completely new engine that can actually accommodate everything he wanted. 

- The engine will be either bought from another developer or developed in-house<-- doubtful) 

- Since he won't have enough money, he will most likely start a kickstarter campaign or early access. In it:

- Dean will most likely reference DayZ as his creation to get money for his new project, but he will outline DayZ's flaws and how he won't make the same mistakes again.

- People will support his new project. Most will stop playing DayZ and move over to his new project.

- DayZ SA will be finished and released but only the most dedicated players will continue playing it. 

- Continuous development of DayZ will slowly stop as BI will notice servers are slowly dissapearing and there is less and less interest.

• Like 4

This is what I feel is happening/happened:

- Dean develops DayZ mod for Arma II

- BI recognizes it could be a standalone game and incentivizes Dean to be the lead designer, he accepts.

- Dean gets a team to work on the SA

- Since BI is not sure about how many units they'll be able to sell, they advise releasing an early access version. (To see what interest is out there)

- Dean's team rework the RV3 engine to suit the SA better, Early access goes live.

- millions of ppl buy the early access. Money rolls in.

- Dean realizes he can't implement everything he wanted in the game due to engine limitations. His team advises him on what's possible and what's not.

- Since reworking the game fundamentally (new engine) is not plausible:

- Dean decides to move on, take the money he made and put it into his own studio.

Future:

- Dean creates a new game studio, hires a team

- The new project will probably be another survival simulator with a completely new engine that can actually accommodate everything he wanted. 

- The engine will be either bought from another developer or developed in-house<-- doubtful) 

- Since he won't have enough money, he will most likely start a kickstarter campaign or early access. In it:

- Dean will most likely reference DayZ as his creation to get money for his new project, but he will outline DayZ's flaws and how he won't make the same mistakes again.

- People will support his new project. Most will stop playing DayZ and move over to his new project.

- DayZ SA will be finished and released but only the most dedicated players will continue playing it. 

- Continuous development of DayZ will slowly stop as BI will notice servers are slowly dissapearing and there is less and less interest.

I don't know what will happen, but somehow you had the same vision I had...well, but I can wait. This "new project" will be far in the future in until then I enjoy a nice round of DayZ...or more than one ;)

But on the other hand...I don't know if that will happen fast (people wandering off, development stop etc.)

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1