tatchell (DayZ)

DayZ SA Trains?

I guess that raises issues of how will this/any kind of vehicle work in servers which reset regularly?

From my understanding the servers only reset regularly ATM to reset the loot table because respawning loot ANd zombies are both not in atm. With that in the restarts won't be as often and things will be more persistent even after a restart. 

Trains would really have the least utility of all the vehicles. MAYBE they should be electric-powered, able to work if you get Elektro's power running. Also, they need an inland extension of the rail line.

Electric trains are already in Brockovka, Ogdenvodsk, and North Haverzino, and by gum it put them on the map!

Well I think the features that would make a train uniquely useful would be that they are faster than road vehicles and also that they should really be easier to patch up to working condition than a car because there shouldn't be any reason why they would be damaged whilst a car would likely have had a crash or been looted in an apocalyptic event.

Also, this game is all about realism and so this adds another aspect of that that furthers the feel of the DayZ experience. I like this game because everything seems plausible and it has a simulator feel to it. In a real life apocalypse i cant see a reason why you couldn't try commandeer a train if you wanted to. So the ability to do this would just make DayZ feel more legit I suppose.

I know this feature wouldn't be a priority but I certainly think it would have use and be very exciting and impressive.

Edited by tatchell

I would love to see this, but on the Chernarus map it would definitely have to be tied into an end game objective to make it worthwhile. More or less a community effort.

Well I think the features that would make a train uniquely useful would be that they are faster than road vehicles and also that they should really be easier to patch up to working condition than a car because there shouldn't be any reason why they would be damaged whilst a car would likely have had a crash or been looted in an apocalyptic event.

Also, this game is all about realism and so this adds another aspect of that that furthers the feel of the DayZ experience. I like this game because everything seems plausible and it has a simulator feel to it. In a real life apocalypse i cant see a reason why you couldn't try commandeer a train if you wanted to. So the ability to do this would just make DayZ feel more legit I suppose.

I know this feature wouldn't be a priority but I certainly think it would have use and be very exciting and impressive.

Actually, yes: why are the trains even off the rails? They should just be on the rails non-functional. I'm assuming the explanation was "the driver was zombified and it went off the tracks", but you could as easily say it just coasted to a stop.

Allow players to gather pieces and tools to get a generator working to start up the train, or have an in-game event where you start up Elektro's power plant and the train and streetlights become functional.

I like the idea in principle, but i mean when yo log off for the night its gonna be pretty hard to hide lol

I like the idea in principle, but i mean when yo log off for the night its gonna be pretty hard to hide lol

Ha ha good point....not too hard to find when ya log back on again tho :)

I could see people fighting over control of it, or just jumping on and treating it as a point a to point b then abandon it type of transport. Alls it should take is some fuel and 10 mins figuring out levers to get moving. We got the shiny new physics so maybe have it able to be derailed if taking a turn too fast, could make slowing it down an art so lots of overshoots/collisions and derailed trains. Like having live heli crashes but the players make it happen :)

Sounds awesome. A clan could control the train station and charge people for a quick ride across the map. Groups of bandits in cowboy hats and lever action rifles could block the tracks and rob the passengers.

Rope + bambie + traintracks =?

So many cool things you could do

Hey devs,

I've been a longtime Dayz fan since the mod, and a thing I've always wanted to see was a train that could be driven around the train tracks all over the map. 

Are you guys considering making a train (or two) for each server that could be repaired with vehicle parts? It would be fantastic to drive around Chernarus in a train honking the choo choo horn and picking up people like fuckin thomas the tank engine. It would be cool to have track switches too that you could switch to make the train take a different track. 

How about it devs? Is this even possible? Does anyone else agree that this is a fun idea... or have any other ideas for a running train system in Chernarus?

Keep up the good work.

Edited by kumiiyo

Привет парни. Поезд да круто, но у нас нет электричества. А вот добавить дрезину это легко. Господа разработчики, оживите железную дорогу механическим средством передвижения. 

Absolutely not trains... But....

HAND CARS!!!!! Just because they're hilarious.

"A handcar (also known as a pump trolley, pump car, jigger, Kalamazoo,[1] velocipede[citation needed], or draisine is a railroad car powered by its passengers, or by people pushing the car from behind. It is mostly used as a maintenance of way or mining car, but it was also used for passenger service in some cases. A typical design consists of an arm, called the walking beam, that pivots, seesaw-like, on a base, which the passengers alternately push down and pull up to move the car."

The thing about these is that the more people you have operating them, the faster you can go. Observe:

But if you get a bunch of old timers together, then this hilarious shit could cross your path:

I would support one or two of these being available per map. Self-servingly this idea would play well into my suggestion to make Chernarus into an island (probably never gonna happen :D ) and to extend the tracks to encircle the whole island.

Edited by FlimFlamm

A train or a handcar would be awesome and it would give the players something more to fight for.

Not a bad necro...always thought the rail system should have some use and it's a shame to see such an elaborate setup serve no function whatsoever. Handcars would be one option but a track utility vehicle would also provide an effective, low energy means of conveyance. I've seen these referred to as "railroad speeder cars."

ee531291b6655321c86f4083d93e1947.jpg

These in conjunction with an assortment of turntables (below) would be a reasonable and practical addition to the overall gameplay while still being operated at the same level as our existing motor pool. Could be gas or diesel fed... require spark / glow plugs... batteries... 

Wagon_turntable.jpg

As running leading to exhaustion is hopefully going to be a "thing" sooner than later, having something like this would be a delightful benefit. (I say this knowing it's never that simple... but hey- it seems like a decent ground level suggestion). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eno said:

-snip-

Honestly, an expanding of the tracks, these kind of turntables and track switches, (and a few rail cars (maybe a motorized one too)) would be incredibly interesting. People could use them as high risk transportation to and from coasts, and also use them to haul raw materials to and from construction sites!

• Like 1

Hmmmm.

On 15.7.2016 at 10:18 PM, FlimFlamm said:

Honestly, an expanding of the tracks, these kind of turntables and track switches, (and a few rail cars (maybe a motorized one too)) would be incredibly interesting. People could use them as high risk transportation to and from coasts, and also use them to haul raw materials to and from construction sites!

That was my thought when I saw the tweet.