tatchell (DayZ)

DayZ SA Trains?

[i understand this is optimistic but I think this would be a VERY useful/interesting feature]

Ok, I recently went along the highway in the very north of the map, and eventually got to the train station north-west of Gvozdno. The whole time I just couldn't stop thinking of how epic/practical it would be if they could bring in a train with all the other vehicles when those are introduced eventually. The railway basically runs a perimeter of the map (it terminates in the north-west and starts in the south-west).

Just think - could have your crew all aboard a post-apocalypse express, gunning down zombies/bambis as they travel around the edges of the map to epic locations (near NW airfield, cherno, elektro, (port near) berezino, svetlo). If you've played BF4 and seen the train on Golmud Railway I can kind of imagine something like that. I think it would just really open up the map and also just be bloody awesome. Would be very scary and apocalypse feeling to see a rusty old refurbished train wreck chugging along towards you from the distance.

Anybody else think this would be pretty cool/useful? Haven't thought about how they would be kept though. Maybe each server would have 2 trains, both starting off maybe in cherno and svetlo. Require the player to find fuel in the nearby train stations and fill up before they can get going. Then just let them go on till server reset and start all over again? Also a train collision could be pretty badass and scary too. Do you try slam on the brakes or do you jump off and risk broken limbs/death to avoid a head on collision with another survivors train?

I reckon this is a feasible idea, what do you guys think?

• Like 4

If and only if it was insanely difficult to both use and keep maintained. 

I think it should start absolutely trashed and you're required to put in a huge (I'm talking weeks) amount of work to get it functioning again. It would require a whole team of people, setting up a base nearby, staying on the same server etc. 

And even after that I think it should require constant maintenance. 

• Like 3

Only way I could see the train implemented is if it was fully automated. Just cruising around the map on its own taking short stops for people to jump on and battle each other until the next stop.

Anything more complicated would just be impractical IMO.

• Like 2

Y'know...I hate to be that guy, but this has been discussed several times.

Did you try searching "trains"? :/

and as far as trains go, meh, I don't see it happening. Very campable, and probably a lot of technical, practical, and exploitable work-arounds that just aren't worth the time.

and as far as trains go, meh, I don't see it happening. Very campable, and probably a lot of technical, practical, and exploitable work-arounds that just aren't worth the time.

Yeah i did type "trains" into your forum search but there weren't any dedicated threads :/

Actually, fair enough, there is one but it would be more helpful if it wasn't just titled "Great Idea I Think" :P so yeah sorry about the repost then!

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/172760-great-idea-i-think/

Edited by tatchell

Actually, fair enough, there is one but it would be more helpful if it wasn't just titled "Great Idea I Think" :P so yeah sorry about the repost then!

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/172760-great-idea-i-think/

ha don't apologize to me :P I'm just tellin ya i've seen a lot of train threads (and by a lot I mean like 3) 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea too, but i'm also a realist, and I know there's a frack ton of work that's gonna have to go into something like that, and I just don't think that it will happen anytime in the near future, if at all

This idea has passed through my head a few times but I dont think its that exciting to be honest.. I would rather be able to paint trains with the spray cans..throw up a sick piece like a sick caaarnt graffer 

This idea has passed through my head a few times but I dont think its that exciting to be honest.. I would rather be able to paint trains with the spray cans..throw up a sick piece like a sick caaarnt graffer 

Well you can't be too excited about vehicles then? i think the attractive part of this idea is that it just adds another dimension to the game. it would make it even more open-worldly and boundary-less than it already is

You know what I always say...

If there's 1 or more suggestions of the same thing, it's a good idea.

and you're required to put in a huge (I'm talking weeks) amount of work to get it functioning again. It would require a whole team of people, setting up a base nearby, staying on the same server

No. I really hate people like this. The survival rate for players is too low due to all the KOS for anybody at all to enjoy a working train if it requires literally, minimum by the statement "weeks", FOURTEEN DAYS of gameplay at the least to even get working when you can expect to be able to repair a car to basic functionality in a day. Nobody would even use the fucking train at that rate because it's on-rails and yet takes supposedly the same fuel cost as a car. Even if player life expectancy was longer, WEEKS of repair is an unrealistic and unfair expectation. Nobody took the train to pieces and ripped its engine apart, it didn't have a collision with a fixed object as smashed cars presumably would have. It just came off the rails and landed on its side. With enough vehicles to tow it, you could align it back on the rails. Then you get the motor running. No problem. That would take time to collect the vehicle parts and rebuild them [three cars needed?] haul the train [30 minutes IRL getting it back on rails if you have something to brace it on], fuel the train and chug up and down the coast. Fixing a train should take no longer than a 2 day effort on your own, and even shorter with assistance.

• Like 1

I would rather see a river going from the north west to the south... at least boat would be useful this time...

Dude they can't even disable mouse acceleration.. They can't make it so that an uncounscous player dies from 80 crowbar hits to the skull..  They can't even make it so drinking from a fountain says anything other than "You take a sip of water from a pond" You honestly think they can add a moving train? If the dayz engine had a MOVING train on the railroad tracks all our pc's would explode. Im sorry but dayz is probably the stiffest hardest engine on the planet to work with. Just doing something simple is not anywhere even near simple

I think a cobbled-together "rail" sled (think METRO-style ) would be an interesting vehicle to include.  It would be limited by the railroad tracks unlike cars or whatever else gets implemented, but still would provide a transportation option.  Yes it should be difficult to craft and maintain, but it would be more restrictive than a car and certainly any flying vehicle.  It could be balanced as needed by difficulty to slow & stop, the level of noise it makes, etc.  

• Like 1

Only this thread shows up...lol  

Dude they can't even disable mouse acceleration.. They can't make it so that an uncounscous player dies from 80 crowbar hits to the skull..  They can't even make it so drinking from a fountain says anything other than "You take a sip of water from a pond" You honestly think they can add a moving train? If the dayz engine had a MOVING train on the railroad tracks all our pc's would explode. Im sorry but dayz is probably the stiffest hardest engine on the planet to work with. Just doing something simple is not anywhere even near simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_mIT5dfgk#t=0

• Like 2

Working trains, working frigates, working aircraft carriers. All has been available on A2 for a long time through mods, some are glitchy, but with the team having prorper support from BI now, I think its very possible for this to be added :)

Tank traps on railroad tracks to derail it?? :)

• Like 1

I would rather see a river going from the north west to the south... at least boat would be useful this time...

And yeah a river which is navigable would be a great feature too, although I'm not sure how easy it is to change the map? If you could plonk a river through the middle of the map then maybe the rail line could be extended into a complete circumference too?

Edited by tatchell

I would absolutely love to see traintrackvehicles in this game

but I would understand if they wouldnt go for the effort to implement it,

Sounds like a lot of work and more of a rarity for people to use

Still it would be pretty epic to suddenly hear the great iron beast roll over its tracks through the towns for whatever purpose

or see two guys on this thing like in the cartoons

Edited by RedAscendant

No. I really hate people like this. The survival rate for players is too low due to all the KOS for anybody at all to enjoy a working train if it requires literally, minimum by the statement "weeks", FOURTEEN DAYS of gameplay at the least to even get working when you can expect to be able to repair a car to basic functionality in a day. Nobody would even use the fucking train at that rate because it's on-rails and yet takes supposedly the same fuel cost as a car. Even if player life expectancy was longer, WEEKS of repair is an unrealistic and unfair expectation. Nobody took the train to pieces and ripped its engine apart, it didn't have a collision with a fixed object as smashed cars presumably would have. It just came off the rails and landed on its side. With enough vehicles to tow it, you could align it back on the rails. Then you get the motor running. No problem. That would take time to collect the vehicle parts and rebuild them [three cars needed?] haul the train [30 minutes IRL getting it back on rails if you have something to brace it on], fuel the train and chug up and down the coast. Fixing a train should take no longer than a 2 day effort on your own, and even shorter with assistance.

I was thinking about this and actually I reckon that considering that a train is more limited than any other vehicle by the fact that it's noisy, obvious and limited to one path it should maybe be quicker to set up than a car. And from a realism point of view, a zombie virus caused the apocalypse, not a nuclear war or anything, so why should the train be anything but abandoned? I mean maybe all you should have to do is find fuel cos I can't think why the train should be damaged, it's just been left after the driver presumably went zombie :/

if it took longer to make/maintain than a road vehicle then I would never opt to bother using a train cos I'd find a car quicker... I think it would need to be easier, sort of like a gateway vehicle

Edited by tatchell
  • Like 1

trains have been asked for many times. search forums to see threads on topic. hopefully they get added at some point. B)

I would roll a hand powered rail car like the old western movies. Much easier upkeep on the vehicle than an impossibly complicated train, which runs off of diesel anyway. So they would need to add 2 different types of fuel. Its a cool idea, not sure if its practical though

trains have been asked for many times. search forums to see threads on topic. hopefully they get added at some point. B)

Trains have been mentioned before but the only other dedicated thread had a misleading title when searching ("Great Idea I think") :/ sorry if this bothers you

Edited by tatchell

Trains would really have the least utility of all the vehicles. MAYBE they should be electric-powered, able to work if you get Elektro's power running. Also, they need an inland extension of the rail line.
Electric trains are already in Brockovka, Ogdenvodsk, and North Haverzino, and by gum it put them on the map!