super_shadow

To stop Kill On Sight, we should make life more valueble

Hello. What is happening now? People just run around and kill each other all the time. Only few newbees usually don't shoot first. After couple of deaths, they start do the same (or went to private PVE server). That happens because: there is no punishment for killing; there is no much sense in letting opponent live etc.

I think there should be some kind of prisons (or places, that could be used like the prison). And ppl should have the opportunity to put criminals there (bandits can do this to). I mean - the player will be not just cuffed, but can't walk away, for some period (we should limit the time to make the game still be playable - if this will lust forever, the player will better erase the account, then to wait when character will be free).

And this places (at least used by bandits) should be vulnerable to attack. So other players could go and save their friends (or clients - then mercenaries could have place in the Game).

To prevent the character recreation, maybe the loot, that character is storing at some hidden place, should be attached to the character.

Then - if I'm at prison, and I got a lot of hidden loot, I will better wait few real days and then play again, instead of recreating the char and loose all saved items.

If there will be real punishment for killing players, it might happen that KOS will lower (at least at some servers where more adequate ppl play).

I'm not sure if this will really work, but think it could be tested on some servers.

With kind regards.

Ilya (super_shadow).

P.S. I don't know - but maybe there still should be places where killing others will automatically be punished - thy use that in Age Of Conan Unchained: you can kill any player anywhere, but, there are npc guards who will kill you almost immediately (there is little chance to escape but you still got criminal stance for some time). I guess this can be used, maybe, with no killing, but sending criminal to the prison for a few real time days.

KOS won't stop or be stopped overall, and we will not see any "gameplay mechanics" or safe zones to stop it the hard way. Unless players themselves create such zones.

Not all KOS, but as loner you might not be as lucky. People on both sides should also realize that KOS already comes with possible punishment and disadvantages. Common sense.

We probably won't see your core idea implemented at all.

Edited by Combine

Dear Combine, thanks for your answer. The main Idea is the punishment that will cause not letting to play freely for some not very long period of time. In my opinion that shoul be realised by Devs with letting ppl to imprison players. That will also give more interest like saving prisoners etc. But, if players hidden loot will not be "chained" to the game character, most ppl will prefer to recreate character, then to wait for being free again.

By the way, wha punishment for KOS we got now? Fear that you will die? After we'll got places to hide loot, it will not be thd probkem anymore. Go ahead ! Kill me few times. After you'll get calmed I will take my loot from safe place and start pk again...

PS I didn't mean that we shoul have npc in this game. It was just an example. That will be even more interesting if , for example, prisoners who was left unguarded could be freed by just one friend, who, for example will waite the time ehen whole group of players will be offline and noone will secure prisoners...

Honestly,  just take out the zombies, and turn this game into the deathmatch it was always intended to be. We can move on to find another zombie mmo if this one doesn't pan out.

Imo this would be a horrible implementation. I would definitely not play DayZ if they actually added this, so I'm glad that I'm 99.9% sure Dean would never do this.

This goes against the very core ideas of DayZ, and really doesn't even make sense.

5 contacts today, all friendy, no shooting. Filled some bloodpacks and gave some bloodtests away.

Can´t confirm the shoot on sight.

Yesterday in balota a friend of me get shot unconscios, also this "fight" I managed to a friendly meeting.

It´s all about how YOU act. It´s not a problem of the gamemechanics.

• Like 1

No, it's a problem of the game. Dean's mentioned it in interviews already. Basically saying the same thing people have echoed on this forum a hundred times already. After getting geared people just get bored and snipe bambies on the roadsides generally speaking.

It gets boring and there is nothing to do except shoot players. 

I agree that we need to make the actual player more valuable than the gear. That right there creates alot of problems. But alot of KoS will go away when there is more to do + harder loot. 

• Like 1

Penaltyys for Murderersss I love it. 

The game is only in alpha right now but If we could implement some sort of punishment for bandits(That get caught) would make being a bandit much for exciting and being a bandit hunter MUCH more rewarding. 

Good Idea over all. B)   I approve this message.

i think a more dangerous environment will bring the players to unite.

the current pvp situation is because the game is to easy at the time.

so the players search for trouble. 

we need more and faster zombies at first. give them the ability to grap the players.

put deep fogs full of zombies into the woods and so on...

Edited by Kenny Kyle
  • Like 2

Only way that there will be "less" KOS, is more zombies, spawn them everywhere around the map like in open fields near the airfield, in treelines, ect... and make multiple zombietypes, some are stronger some are faster, ect... Because if zombies could like 3 hit you, I don't think you would keep standing still to shoot someone when there are 3 zombies chasing you that can knock u down instantly... So you will have to clear the zombies first, before u could make a shot, so its not really less KOS but atleast it'll take more time for the bandits to take a shot at some times...

Adding more zombies will help ONLY if they will act like in most zomby-apocalyptic movies. The horde of zomby should run to the place where shooting was. If they will act so, only silent kills will be safe for killer. That's the way of lowering shooting to. Thank you!

Best fix, ADD MORE ZOMBIES. make it to where the person doing the killin has to think "well, ok, i could kill this guy, but then ill have 50 zombies on my ass."

• Like 1

Best fix, ADD MORE ZOMBIES. make it to where the person doing the killin has to think "well, ok, i could kill this guy, but then ill have 50 zombies on my ass."

Remember that these same features would be punishing people who defend themselves. Plus, the person could just use melee/suppressed or quiet weapons/fire from a long range.

Call of Duty has ruined a generation of gamers. End of Discussion.

• Like 2

Call of Duty has ruined a generation of gamers. End of Discussion.

As an older gamer, I laugh when people blame in-game behaviors on the young, as though back in the day we all held hands and sang songs.

I remember trolling in Ultima Online and how extensive it was. Even back in MUDs, and how dickish people were.

Everyone I play DayZ with is 35+ years old, and they are incredibly sadistic ingame and love to KOS. I'll shoot anyone with a gun, and I'm the nice guy of the group.

• Like 1

As an older gamer, I laugh when people blame in-game behaviors on the young, as though back in the day we all held hands and sang songs.

I remember trolling in Ultima Online and how extensive it was. Even back in MUDs, and how dickish people were.

Everyone I play DayZ with is 35+ years old, and they are incredibly sadistic ingame and love to KOS. I'll shoot anyone with a gun, and I'm the nice guy of the group.

I think you are right. I ran across some players who where apparently young gamers. They tried to avoid me or answered when talked to or where talking some jibberish in russian and backing of with a held up pistol.

KoSing and griefing has nothing to do with how old you are. Assholes are ageless.

Which brings me to a conclusion for the thread starter:

KoSing and griefing isn't a problem of the game. People are the problem.

It is like it is in reality. People can easily live together and creat utopia. But if only one person decides to spoil the fun, he will and can. And you can do shit about it.

Therefore, it doesn't matter what kind of game mechanic you like to include. There will always be assholes that find enjoyment in the knowledge, they just ruined your fun, no matter the consequences they face afterwards.

And DayZ is sadly the game, I see most griefing potential in. So it will (and has) attract all kinds of idiots.

It is sad, but get used to it. I will see what the games bring till it is offically released. Maybe it gets better, maybe it gets worse. But it will never go away.

• Like 2

I am not killing for fun. Sometimes you see a guy running towards building where you are hidden. Your fellows are exchanging stuff, one of them is sick with broken bones.

You are not sure does the guy running towards you has weapon, is he alone. In one word, is he a threat. Few seconds of thinking and you shoot.

Bangabang! You are in the jail...  <_<

The thing with simulators is that they give you possibility to make different actions. It is up to you how will you play with them. Taking away such thing as ability to KOS will cut cojones of this game. PVE private servers for those who are not seeing point in being killed because of lack of awareness. 

(...)
(...)

I have played Ultima Online on PVP and PVE servers. PVE were much more boring and pointless. Every sim-world has to has criminals. 

(..)

KoSing and griefing has nothing to do with how old you are. Assholes are ageless.

(...)

'griefing' - I agree.  This kinda topics are full of griefers. Someone virtually killed your virtual avatar, that doesn't mean he is an asshole. 

Remember that these same features would be punishing people who defend themselves. Plus, the person could just use melee/suppressed or quiet weapons/fire from a long range.

And THIS is a good point, because ppl will have normal choice - run or fight. And the attacker will be forced to use melee and can't reach the runner fast. Remember - they already did that - that running with weapon in hands is slower than without.

I think you are right. I ran across some players who where apparently young gamers. They tried to avoid me or answered when talked to or where talking some jibberish in russian and backing of with a held up pistol.

Which brings me to a conclusion for the thread starter:

KoSing and griefing isn't a problem of the game. People are the problem.

It is like it is in reality. People can easily live together and creat utopia. But if only one person decides to spoil the fun, he will and can. And you can do shit about it.

Therefore, it doesn't matter what kind of game mechanic you like to include. There will always be assholes that find enjoyment in the knowledge, they just ruined your fun, no matter the consequences they face afterwards.

And DayZ is sadly the game, I see most griefing potential in. So it will (and has) attract all kinds of idiots.

It is sad, but get used to it. I will see what the games bring till it is offically released. Maybe it gets better, maybe it gets worse. But it will never go away.

You're right, BUT if it would be REAL situation. Most of stupid ones will PERMANENTLY die in the first few weeks. They will shoot each other and will be shot by more patient and qualified men. That's because I think that there is NEED of making some PENALTY for being asshole. Not just bad person, but stupid idiot with a gun. And if this person could be punished (yes let it be the way without NPC and changing the game mechanics. Other players will just hunt this idiot, caught him and cage him. After couple real-time days there he will think twice, before doing the same (at least he will do it not so impudent.

But, to achive that, we should hold server jumping (that could be made easy by chaining all loot to current server. And there should be chaining character to the account. Then ppl will not recreate character, without spending some time in prison (or being held as a hostage if caught by bandits).

And again - I'm not against killing players with a good reason - loot, territory control etc, but it should be VERY risky (as it is in real life) to try to kill somebody. How to achive that we already discussed (horde of zombies immediately running where the shooting was, opportunity to imprison the player.

Right now - the PK is risking only with what he got in inventory. After adding bases, safe places etc. there will be thousends of naked ppl with only 1 gun or melee weapon, who will run around and try to kill someone and take his loot. They will only grow - 'cause loot saving system will make it NOT-SO-RISKY to hunt other players. So I think that we don't need to change game mechanic to force ppl to PVE. We chould have opportunity to gather and punish stupid offenders. Not become the same, not being friendly while they shooting us, but being a threat for stupid and unskilled PKs.

I am not killing for fun. Sometimes you see a guy running towards building where you are hidden. Your fellows are exchanging stuff, one of them is sick with broken bones.

You are not sure does the guy running towards you has weapon, is he alone. In one word, is he a threat. Few seconds of thinking and you shoot.

Bangabang! You are in the jail...  <_<

The thing with simulators is that they give you possibility to make different actions. It is up to you how will you play with them. Taking away such thing as ability to KOS will cut cojones of this game. PVE private servers for those who are not seeing point in being killed because of lack of awareness. 

I have played Ultima Online on PVP and PVE servers. PVE were much more boring and pointless. Every sim-world has to has criminals. 

'griefing' - I agree.  This kinda topics are full of griefers. Someone virtually killed your virtual avatar, that doesn't mean he is an asshole. 

The situation that was so colorfull discribed, is really common. But just think - what will you do in real life? 90% that you will aim at him and then shout "Stop!" And ONLY if he will not - you will shoot. That is how most of normal ppl do. Because you know there could be bad consequences. That's what we need - group of zombie who can react on shooting, revenge of that player or his friends in future etc. And if he will just resurrect, find you and kill you - that is not to bad consequence. If he will imprison you and steal your character freedom for couple of real dayz, THAT WILL BE THE REASON why you will have a choice - to shoot or to asr first.

We just need a Bounty Hunters system which will add some fear to bandits!

Yep! That's what I was meaning. If we will have opportunity to make ppl our prisoners, we can easily come to gangs, bounty hunters, free stalkers and other communities creation. There will be MORE SENCE in being in group (saving imprisoned friends/in a bandit way - helping their gang members to run from the prison etc.).

And again - it wil add a lot of opportunities AND wisely using them normal players can survive. Stupid idiot's - hopefully not, cause usually they don't like to think a lot, to have some strategy etc.

When having some specialityes (like bounty hunters, stalkers, farmers, bandits etc.) there will be the way to make normal trading - the stalker will give some valuebles to bounty hunter/s, they will buy some guns from crafters/farmers, bandit's will get items by stealing and robbery. Everyone wil try to find his way of playing. The way he likes and have more attraction to!

Edited by super_shadow

Go Bounty Hunter youself !?!?!?. You can do it already. Granted no onw will know but you, your group and the guys you kill. But indirectly you'll be buying time for new spawns and other travellers. No need to have a system to cheer you to the world.

Don't wait for others to accomplish your ideas for you. Good luck.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 2