Hrki

Why loot is not full random?

After several hours of continuous and sequential playing of dayz the player realizes (with the help of online maps that show exactly what house got what loot and what is the chance to finding it) individual houses lose their meaning. I want to say that it becomes monotonous (if you want an SKS or Mosin you will go to the red brick house or a house with a piano or possibly in the barn + sks on airfields) and if you want the M4 ... direction of a military base or airfield ... It becomes really monotonous (at least to me) .. So my suggestion is that loot spawns completely random? that in every house there is a chance to find anything, so it would be a lot of fun and "harder", if we compare this with the "RL apocalypse" I think there would be a chance to find the body of a dead person and a gun in the middle of a forest (or some abandom campsite in middle of a forest and there is maybe something usefull for me) .... Here's what you think about this?

• Like 8

Your signature needs a comma after it.

And loot is a work in progress, I wouldnt get to used to the current system. Some places will have better chances at types of loot but I dont think that the end result will be as it is now.

• Like 2

(...)with the help of online maps(...)

Maybe that "cheat" is the source of your boredom. 

• Like 3

Random loot would probably improve gameplay forcing players to explore the entire map looking for loot not just military zones.

• Like 5

you have 4 buildings in towns + airfields for good loot... and you know in what house you can find what loot i just say it would be much better if it is full random so there is eaqual chance to find in every house every ingame loot... nope its not "cheating" its "addon" same as TS3 premade bandits

Edited by HrkiGV
  • Like 1

The location of loot should make sense. It doesn't make enough yet but i hope this is because it's alpha. Want a Firefighter axe? Most likely to find one at the Firestation. Food? Well, i have my food in the kitchen, don't know about you though. M4? Most likely in a military installation. I know that. You know that. Everyone knows that. And everyone (almost) wants a M4. So you go to a military installation like everyone else. Which makes it a high risk area which is good for the gameplay. If any loot could spawn anywhere, players would just spread over the map and encounters would be by far less likely.

• Like 2

yes but why you cant find mousin or pistol in apartments for example...  and why are some houses mainly "supplie" and others "cloth" 

• Like 2

I hope in the end we get a compromise.

i.e Loot spawns appropriately.  Civilian gear in civilian location, medical gear in hospitals, military gear in military bases etc etc .. BUT there is also a small chance that anything can spawn anywhere, giving that random element.

Loot balancing is gonna be a difficult task.. I really hope the loot will be proportional to server populations, so low pop servers have far less loot than full ones.

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 4

I don't know why you can't find weapons in residental houses. Probably they took them while fleeing. If i had a gun at home and had to flee from a zombie apocalypse, for sure i wouldn't left my gun behind. Although i agree, at least a shotgun here and there would make sense (deer hunter).

Please keep in mind, it is alpha and i think that loot spawn isn't fully balanced yet.

Loot is currently quite broken, as most houses don't spawn the stuff they are supposed to spawn according to the game files. The result is there's only a handful of good houses worth looting if you are in a hurry. That's bad.

But until the loot starts respawning (should be soon according to rocket's twitter), I wouldn't worry too much about the balancing. I have a feeling the current situation is a side effect of having all the loot spawn at once. That probably forces them to not spawn in some places for performance reasons. Personal theory, that one, but it makes sense.

I don't know why you can't find weapons in residental houses. Probably they took them while fleeing. If i had a gun at home and had to flee from a zombie apocalypse, for sure i wouldn't left my gun behind. Although i agree, at least a shotgun here and there would make sense (deer hunter).

You can already find weapons in several houses (red brick, piano house) and nearly all barns. According to the dayzdb data, which comes directly from gamefiles, the shotgun should spawn in a lot of houses and cars, and in the deer stands that are all over. It doesn't because many of those spawn points are not working at all currently.

i.e Loot spawns appropriately.  Civilian gear in civilian location, medical gear in hospitals, military gear in military bases etc etc .. BUT there is also a small chance that anything can spawn anywhere, giving that random element.

Loot balancing is gonna be a difficult task.. I really hope the loot will be proportional to server populations, so low pop servers have far less loot than full ones.

That sounds like a terrific compromise it would give people incentive to loot houses and just explore more something people rarely do now.

I think "more likely zones" is appropriate, but you assume a pretty static reaction to the chaos of swarming zombies. Why are guns on top of the hospital? Because people took them there and then died. Why would an M4 be in a random house? Because a soldier fleeing zombies tried to make a stand in that house and died.

In fact, another mechanic you could easily use is that any weapon spawning "out of zone" is much less likely to be in good condition as it was most likely abandoned or chucked aside in the midst of a zombie meal.

Still though, I think random with some probability weighting would definitely add depth of play and reward for persistent searchers.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind seeing a few areas that spawn rarely, but can spawn pristine weapons of only the appropriate type (armory, gun store, police station).

• Like 1

why should you find mosins or pistols in apartments^^ you don't know anything about the apocalypse, e.g. what exactly happened... i don't have any guns at home, why should guns spawn regularly in residential houses?

The location of loot should make sense. It doesn't make enough yet but i hope this is because it's alpha. Want a Firefighter axe? Most likely to find one at the Firestation. Food? Well, i have my food in the kitchen, don't know about you though. M4? Most likely in a military installation. I know that. You know that. Everyone knows that. And everyone (almost) wants a M4. So you go to a military installation like everyone else. Which makes it a high risk area which is good for the gameplay. If any loot could spawn anywhere, players would just spread over the map and encounters would be by far less likely.

Not really... Look at the cars and buildings. They are already rusted and falling apart. This suggests that Day 1 of the zombie apocalypse happened quite some time ago - a couple of years at least. By today places that potentially hold any valuable equipment should be already picked clean. As the OP said, it would be more likely to find an M4 in a cabin deep in the woods than in a military tent.

Hence, I support complete randomisation of the loot. For the benefit of gameplay, as well as lore.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 2

Not really... Look at the cars and buildings. They are already rusted and falling apart. This suggests that Day 1 of the zombie apocalypse happened quite some time ago - a couple of years at least. By today places that potentially hold any valuable equipment should be already picked clean. As the OP said, it would be more likely to find an M4 in a cabin deep in the woods than in a military tent.

Hence, I support complete randomisation of the loot. For the benefit of gameplay, as well as lore.

Good addition, thank you. Although i always thought those wrecks are burned, not rusted. Also the fact that you can find fresh oranges, apples,kiwis and bananas let me think that the apocalypse happened less than 6 month ago.

Anyway, let us just hope they get the loot spawn in a way that keeps gameplay interesting withouth losing authencity.

why should you find mosins or pistols in apartments^^ you don't know anything about the apocalypse, e.g. what exactly happened... i don't have any guns at home, why should guns spawn regularly in residential houses?

em there are always sick or week to travel if we put game to "RL testings" or some with small kids who will "build up home bunker" and try to defend them. So why i shoudnt find any guns or ammo in apartments?

yes but why you cant find mousin or pistol in apartments for example...  and why are some houses mainly "supplie" and others "cloth" 

This is not true.

yes it is residental buildings with military loots are: house with brick + piano house (and barns)

offices = "schools" - also some weapon chances

restaurants = medic + food

other houses mainly food + cloth

why i cant find in middle of street some axe of some guy who was too week to carry it or he paniced and he acidantly drop it...

or some "abandom tents" in middle of forest....

you know that you will drop any unnecesary loot if you are getting weeker...

also why all weapons are pristine... so i can find ruined, dmg or badly dmg, etc... cloth but there is always weapons witch are intact...  

Edited by HrkiGV

yes it is residental buildings with military loots are: house with brick + piano house (and barns)

why i cant find in middle of street some axe of some guy who was too week to carry it or he paniced and he acidantly drop it...

also why all weapons are pristine... so i can find ruined, dmg or badly dmg, etc... cloth but there is always weapons witch are intact...  

Its almost.... like the game is in Alpha. 

please learn the English language.

ffs you have spell checker......

• Like 1

English isn't his first language. How many languages do you speak? 

• Like 3

i see that your English grammatical sentences are very demanding, complex and complicated

• Like 3

Your signature needs a comma after it.

And loot is a work in progress, I wouldnt get to used to the current system. Some places will have better chances at types of loot but I dont think that the end result will be as it is now.

The comma goes before the word it. This was even stated incorrectly the reader cannot specifically decipher whether "it" refers to the word in the signature or "it" is a pronoun that references the signature.

Do not start a sentence with "And." Contractions: if you must use them, they require an apostrophe. I believe you are trying to suggest "do not get too use to the current system." However, you used the wrong form of "too" and by adding a 'd' to the word use, you essentially used the wrong form of that word too. If I have deciphered your incoherent rambling correctly, then you would have been better served avoiding the statement altogether; to say "do not get too use to" is redundant, this is almost like saying: "do not get excessively familiarized to." Additionally, there is always the fact that two different forms of "to" separated by one word is reduntant.

At this point, my tablet is ceasing to cooperate and it is nearly 2 A.M. Therefore, I am not in the mood to research whether the glaring idiosyncrasies in your final sentence are actually errors or just personal pet peeves and, well, I am not even sure my brain is functioning properly. This is rather peculiar; I am usually in bed by 10 P.M. Nevertheless, I give to you bullet points:

1.) Comma before the word "but" (yeah, like always)

2.) You used chance in regards to probability, but then made it plural.

3.) Everything after "but" just sounds redundant. (When it is finished, it will not be unfinished!)

4.) Do not bother correcting people, unless they specifically state they want that kind of help. First of all, it comes across in text as condescending and that will just reverberate and escalate. Secondly, there are some people that are never going to care (about grammer, punctuation, and spelling). Third, sometimes differences across countries means both people are correct, I am specifically thinking about spelling here. Fourth, typos are real. Finally, this is not the ideal setting for English language courses and this is well accepted, even celebrated.

*insert language butchering meme here*

Edited by InflatedLyric
  • Like 3

The comma goes before the word it. This was even stated incorrectly the reader cannot specifically decipher whether "it" refers to the word in the signature or "it" is a pronoun that references the signature.

Do not start a sentence with "And." Contractions: if you must use them, they require an apostrophe. I believe you are trying to suggest "do not get too use to the current system." However, you used the wrong form of "too" and by adding a 'd' to the word use, you essentially used the wrong form of that word too. If I have deciphered your incoherent rambling correctly, then you would have been better served avoiding the statement altogether; to say "do not get too use to" is redundant, this is almost like saying: "do not get excessively familiarized to." Additionally, there is always the fact that two different forms of "to" separated by one word is reduntant.

At this point, my tablet is ceasing to cooperate and it is nearly 2 A.M. Therefore, I am not in the mood to research whether the glaring idiosyncrasies in your final sentence are actually errors or just personal pet peeves and, well, I am not even sure my brain is functioning properly. This is rather peculiar; I am usually in bed by 10 P.M. Nevertheless, I give to you bullet points:

1.) Comma before the word "but" (yeah, like always)

2.) You used chance in regards to probability, but then made it plural.

3.) Everything after "but" just sounds redundant. (When it is finished, it will not be unfinished!)

4.) Do not bother correcting people, unless they specifically state they want that kind of help. First of all, it comes across in text as condescending and that will just reverberate and escalate. Secondly, there are some people that are never going to care (about grammer, punctuation, and spelling). Third, sometimes differences across countries means both people are correct, I am specifically thinking about spelling here. Fourth, typos are real. Finally, this is not the ideal setting for English language courses and this is well accepted, even celebrated.

*insert language butchering meme here*

And knowing is half the battle!

My comment was only intended to be helpful.

I wanted to try to make the phrase in question more understandable because it is in his signature and will be seen every time he posts.

You will also notice I don't generally like people that judge others on their ability to use English. About three posts up I said as much :)

Edit again: I probably could have made my intent more clear in my original post. I apologize if I came off wrong.

Edited by Judopunch