alexeistukov

The Community's List of Suggested Weapons for Dayz Standalone (Version: 1.29)

no real reason to be in chernarus, so as many other weapons already ingame... total balance breaker in weaponry, but dayz does not need balance in weapons... . i would not mind seeing it spawn sometimes at heli crashes, mags even more rare. FN FAL mags could be modified using the upcoming workshops to fit in the FN SCAR. but lets not include weapons like that when dupping is still a big issue, i'm already concerned with SVD/UMP45/VSS for 0.57 stable :o

i can't help, i still think this kind of weapons belong more to Arma than Dayz.

How would it affect balance? It would probably, if implemented, be a highly regulated/limited item like the SVD will be.

Why? Why does DayZ somehow dwell in an alternate plane of existence where military weapons do not exist?

No more so than the UMP45, MP5K, M4A1, Steyr AUG, or FNX45 do - sure, there are explanations for why those are there but in the end they're just as easily explained away as the SCAR-H is. It's not a ridiculous idea because it's a gun that's actually in service in quite a few places and serves the battle rifle role well, the only real argument against it if you're not going to be opposed to the other guns is that it "is too modern and tactical" which is just an appeal to very low levels of immersion and quite frankly a bad argument in the end.

Agreed.

Why? There was a Ukraine style civil war/proxy war in Chernarus before the zombie outbreak involving several nations.

Plus the SCAR platform was adopted by the US Army in ARMA2:OA as their standard service rifle. So, there's already an in-universe explanation.

Every single one of the weapons you listed are far far far more ubiquitous in the world in not only nations served but numbers than the Fn scar.

Kenya having a handful of rifles means little for it being in Chenarus.

I might also add that the largest user of Fn Scars the US special Operations command also has them in limited numbers.

Like most failed weapon systems I would not doubt there are more of these weapons in civilian hands in the US than actually in places where it would sorta make any sense for the weapon to make its way into the game.

"Far, far, far more ubiquitous in the world," do you have anything besides an assumption to back this up?

Lithuania, Poland, Serbia, France, Belgium, and Germany having them sure does though! And I included Kenya and the other Latin American countries to show that it's gaining a wider usage rate than "DER ITS ONLY IN KAWD! KEEP IT OUT OF MAH DAYZ SIMZ!"

"Failed weapon systems." Oh, so you mean the Mk 20/Mk 17 that's replacing the Mk 12 SPR (which you totally want in-game) and Mk 11 for USASOC? By 2017? That's been procured in the thousands by a multitude of international militaries?

1-bd27eb732f.jpg

Also, in-universe, it was adopted as the standard service rifle of the United States Army by at least 2010. So, there's that!

And again, don't you want the AN-94 too? The discontinued, rejected, prototypical, produced-by-only-one-country, popularized entirely by AAA video games, weapon used by nobody with a pulley inside?

Edited by Katana67

How would it affect balance? It would probably, if implemented, be a highly regulated/limited item like the SVD will be.

Why? Why does DayZ somehow dwell in an alternate plane of existence where military weapons do not exist?

Agreed.

Plus the SCAR platform was adopted by the US Army in ARMA2:OA as their standard service rifle. So, there's already an in-universe explanation.

"Far, far, far more ubiquitous in the world," do you have anything besides an assumption to back this up?

Lithuania, Poland, Serbia, France, Belgium, and Germany having them sure does though! And I included Kenya and the other Latin American countries to show that it's gaining a wider usage rate than "DER ITS ONLY IN KAWD! KEEP IT OUT OF MAH DAYZ SIMZ!"

"Failed weapon systems." Oh, so you mean the Mk 20/Mk 17 that's replacing the Mk 12 SPR (which you totally want in-game) and Mk 11 for USASOC? By 2017? That's been procured in the thousands by a multitude of international militaries?

And again, don't you want the AN-94 too? The discontinued, rejected, prototypical, produced-by-only-one-country, popularized entirely by AAA video games, weapon used by nobody with a pulley inside?

The AN-94 would be fine considering the Russian Special Ops and MVD that use it were also the ones that intervened in ArmA 2, and they happened to be using high-end prototype equipment as well (AK-107s were their main firearm.) However, yeah, there's really nothing that makes it more valid of a weapon than the SCAR-H, because both require special forces from a different country to be present if they have to be coming from a different land.

At this point I'd actually prefer they do the AK-12 if they do any more AK rifles, because now it is being accepted into the Russian military, it looks different to the AK-74 platforms (unlike the AK-107), and comes standard with modern equipment and RIS rather than needing a railed handguard like the other AKs. It'd be a good gun to have alongside the Russian kit they plan to do in the future.

The AN-94 would be fine considering the Russian Special Ops and MVD that use it were also the ones that intervened in ArmA 2, and they happened to be using high-end prototype equipment as well (AK-107s were their main firearm.) However, yeah, there's really nothing that makes it more valid of a weapon than the SCAR-H, because both require special forces from a different country to be present if they have to be coming from a different land.

At this point I'd actually prefer they do the AK-12 if they do any more AK rifles, because now it is being accepted into the Russian military, it looks different to the AK-74 platforms (unlike the AK-107), and comes standard with modern equipment and RIS rather than needing a railed handguard like the other AKs. It'd be a good gun to have alongside the Russian kit they plan to do in the future.

Point being, it's hypocritical to dismiss the Mk 17 based upon the misconception that it's "used by nobody" and at the same time, want the AN-94 which is/was actually only used by one country... and isn't being produced anymore... probably isn't even being used by the SOF it was initially provided to in limited numbers... had a very limited production... and was universally panned as overcomplicated.

But hey, it looks like an AK! Therefore it "fits" in Chernarus /s

I would love an AN-94, a Mk 17, and an AK-12!

Unfortunately, Chris said he wasn't in favor of the AK-12 because it hadn't been adopted by anyone (which has since changed as you've said). That said, even his reasoning then didn't make much sense.

The AN-94 would be fine considering the Russian Special Ops and MVD use it

I hear this a lot in regards to the AN-94 but we have any proofs of this weapon being used on as a duty weapon? I can't find an image of personnel using it outside of a firing range on what seems like a test demo or during their victory day parade where they often display less often used equipment in large numbers. On the contrary I witnessed SCAR Heavies being used in person in the US military in several occurrences, more so than I've seen UMPs or even MP5s.

Unfortunately, Chris said he wasn't in favor of the AK-12 because it hadn't been adopted by anyone (which has since changed as you've said). That said, even his reasoning then didn't make much sense.

That was before they announced it would be used, though, so I don't think it's completely out of the question anymore. Even though it'd be pretty hard to find a gun I would be completely opposed to in the game, you wouldn't see me campaigning for the AK-12 if it wasn't going to be adopted, but I think it fits far better than the AK-107 and AN-94 alternatives

I hear this a lot in regards to the AN-94 but we have any proofs of this weapon being used on as a duty weapon? I can't find an image of personnel using it outside of a firing range on what seems like a test demo or during their victory day parade where they often display less often used equipment in large numbers. On the contrary I witnessed SCAR Heavies being used in person in the US military in several occurrences, more so than I've seen UMPs or even MP5s.

They have them - whether or not they're used is a different story. USSOCOM still officially has the HK Mark 23 pistol in service but from all I hear it wasn't ever popular and practically everyone uses a SIG, Colt, or some other kind of pistol now, because the theory behind the MK23 wasn't as sound in execution. Likewise, the US Army still has M16A2s and M16A4s in their inventory, but do you ever see them? No. It's because they all use the M4.

I just wanted to point out that the reasons for an AN-94 appearing in Chernarus don't have to be 100% made up, even though in all actuality you'd be about as likely to find one of those as a Desert Eagle, and probably even less so considering the Deagle actually exists on the civilian market.

They have them - whether or not they're used is a different story. USSOCOM still officially has the HK Mark 23 pistol in service but from all I hear it wasn't ever popular and practically everyone uses a SIG, Colt, or some other kind of pistol now, because the theory behind the MK23 wasn't as sound in execution.

They have AN-94s, but if they aren't in use or deployed as duty weapons then why bother putting them in game? It would be as logical as putting in the XM8 or XM25. As for the US Army using M16A2s and M16A4s I've seen several in use.

Likewise, the US Army still has M16A2s and M16A4s in their inventory, but do you ever see them? No. It's because they all use the M4.

The US army does not have enough M4s to give each person one, so units like Fuels,Trans,Muns or Finance will use an older M16A2 or M16A4 in various configurations, or in the US Air Force most deployers will use M16A2 rifles and until very recently CAR-15s (called GUU-5Ps in the air force) were still being deployed until 2014. We often called them "Fobbit blaster 9000s" as any job in combat arms, military police, or special forces will never use them. Unlike the AN-94, they still see use.

Hum, FN SCAR-H ? i don't know... i love that weapon, probably the greatest 7,62x51 assault rifle ever made if you believe critics and youtube video. very light, powerfull, low recoil for a .308, accurate, reliable, ultra easy to clean, can take a shitload of attachements... we do not have select fire .308 currently, the weapon has a unique look... why not ?

no real reason to be in chernarus, so as many other weapons already ingame... total balance breaker in weaponry, but dayz does not need balance in weapons... . i would not mind seeing it spawn sometimes at heli crashes, mags even more rare. FN FAL mags could be modified using the upcoming workshops to fit in the FN SCAR. but lets not include weapons like that when dupping is still a big issue, i'm already concerned with SVD/UMP45/VSS for 0.57 stable :o

The weapon is actually quite balanced and points naturally. You want to talk unbalanced, check out the the c96.

On a side note, I invite all the realism enthusiasts to simply ignore the concept of "balance" in a game so long as physics and biology are properly emulated, and instead confusingly inquire about point of balance as though the firearm were a sort of fulcrum. Don't give the rpgheads any room.

Hum, FN SCAR-H ? i don't know... i love that weapon, probably the greatest 7,62x51 assault rifle ever made if you believe critics and youtube video. very light, powerfull, low recoil for a .308, accurate, reliable, ultra easy to clean, can take a shitload of attachements... we do not have select fire .308 currently, the weapon has a unique look... why not ?

I dunno, there's little wrong with a weapon like the SCAR H if it's implemented after the CLE is fully finished, and spawns as an extremly rare helicrash [west] item.

Edited by a_ruttle

On a side note, I invite all the realism enthusiasts to simply ignore the concept of "balance" in a game so long as physics and biology are properly emulated, and instead confusingly inquire about point of balance as though the firearm were a sort of fulcrum. Don't give the rpgheads any room.

Actually a funny statement as RPG's are usually the games to get away with the most blantant violations of weapon balance where you will find tons of trash tier items, straight upgrades and little in terms of tradeoffs (which is mainly put in skills and abilities instead). The main focus here is on progress and leveling up. On the other side we have "arena style" games (most FPS and TPS, strategy games, MOBA's) with a huge focus on balance and relatively limited gamplay options.

Now I think in DayZ it's proabably best to follow a hybrid route:

1. Make sure weapons have their realistic properties including logisitics and maintenace.
  2. Make sure every weapon has a place where it can be useful.

The game does not need classical balance because it adds many more dimensions that make it more complex and focus more on detailed and authentic representation. This would result in some kind of "real life balance" as the game progresses and by nature of DayZ having different power levsl is completely fine.

Day Z has a natural levelling up/progress system called going west. But the beauty is that the terrain allows for unique circumstances where the lowest tier players can win against better equipped. The shotguns, blaze, SKS and mosins can still easily beat M4s, AUGs and AKs so long as you position right and can aim. It facilitates all play styles.

Day Z has a natural levelling up/progress system called going west. But the beauty is that the terrain allows for unique circumstances where the lowest tier players can win against better equipped. The shotguns, blaze, SKS and mosins can still easily beat M4s, AUGs and AKs so long as you position right and can aim. It facilitates all play styles.

In some cases civilian weapons do things that military weapons cannot.

The Mosin up until recently was the only viable "sniper rifle" in the game, and although the SVD was added recently it's still the Winchester, a civilian weapon, that has the longest ranged scope in the game.

Swiss Army Knife - Slashes are low damage as are stabs, but the knife also functions as a can opener and lockpicks, and can carry out other knife tasks, and taking up much less space in the inventory than carrying a full knife and these tools.

• Like 1

Swiss Army Knife - Slashes are low damage as are stabs, but the knife also functions as a can opener and lockpicks, and can carry out other knife tasks, and taking up much less space in the inventory than carrying a full knife and these tools.

A good multi-tool is the base of my "belt survival kit". On it, I have a sheath knife (Mora Heavy Duty Companion), a whistle, a firesteel, a flashlight, and an emergency blanket. Plus, 100+ feet of cord.

On this thread we are looking for weapons only, not creative tools like that.  However, that is an extremely good idea! 

Yes. It is a good idea. One that should be seriously considered.

Marlin XLR .45-70 - The Marlin XLR is a four shot big game short range lever action rifle. It boasts immense damage but short range and low penetration due to it's slow velocity and rounded tip. However, within short range it does more damage than the .308 with less recoil and a twice as fast action, making the gun a nice close range alternative to the Winchester and Mosin.

grizzly_custom_guns_marlin_1895_xlr_1895

• Like 1

Marlin XLR .45-70 - The Marlin XLR is a four shot big game short range lever action rifle. It boasts immense damage but short range and low penetration due to it's slow velocity and rounded tip. However, within short range it does more damage than the .308 with less recoil and a twice as fast action, making the gun a nice close range alternative to the Winchester and Mosin.

grizzly_custom_guns_marlin_1895_xlr_1895

its nice any lever action is good to look at though there's a problem with it, its chambered in 45-70 I'm not sure if its a unique cartridge or chambered in a lot of other guns. If they want more revolvers or reapeters maybe just add in .44-40 winchester used in revolvers and popular lever action guns like winchester 1873 and colt single action army I now there's aloot of other lever actions and revolvers. Or add more .357 magnum revolvers and lever action guns. The devs said they don't have planns now for adding more but they didn't say no.
  • Like 1

.45-70 is a very popular hunting cartridge particularly in the US because of its versatility. It's strong enough to take down all American big game, but the slow velocity of the round means it doesn't cause excessive damage to the meat, making it also viable to hunt practically anything (though the low velocity gives the cartridge a very round trajectory meaning zeroing is important.) Several other guns use it such as the Magnum Research BFR, navy line guns and converted Mauser 98s (much like the Repeater is a modern .357 variant of the old 1892 Winchesters that used .44-40.)

.45-70 is a very popular hunting cartridge particularly in the US because of its versatility. It's strong enough to take down all American big game, but the slow velocity of the round means it doesn't cause excessive damage to the meat, making it also viable to hunt practically anything (though the low velocity gives the cartridge a very round trajectory meaning zeroing is important.) Several other guns use it such as the Magnum Research BFR, navy line guns and converted Mauser 98s (much like the Repeater is a modern .357 variant of the old 1892 Winchesters that used .44-40.)

OK didn't know it was popular though its chambered for the BFR a big fuckin revolver yes for me a big revolver would make a great addition especially if it can mount a scope. More hunting rounds/old military rounds would be great like adding k98k rounds and give it the option to chamber ww2 weapons and some hunting rifles since its used for that reason now in Europe might be still in servise though I doubt it. The only thing I want noowww is a svt 40 or a reapeter with a scope. Edited by DaNic2553

Needs a blue t-shirt and brown vest to go with it, and would be doubly effective against all of the dinosaurs they clearly plan to add later in development.

• Like 1

To all community members...

Sorry for my long long long absence..

Several problems and difficulties had came up after the last update in November and i was unable to take time to update this thread.  

My interest in Dayz Standalone, i will admit, has diminished greatly due to new video games that have been released have caught my interest in modding.

The main one that me and my brother are currently modding is the popular survival game called Project Zomboid.

Again, i deeply apologize to all of you and i hope i can release some updates to this thread every now and then in the future.

The new way i request updates to be handled is that you, the community members, write descriptions for your firearms when you suggest them.  (I prefer you private message me, but a post is fine too, even though it has a high chance of getting buried...).

Some people have already sent descriptions to me and i have had no time to review them yet..

Thank you all in the Dayz Community for sticking with me and this thread as it started roughly a year ago.. from there it exploded into a thread full of discussion, ideas, debates, polls, hell you name it.

Thank you all for hanging on and continuing to update the thread even though i was absent.

Now, i cannot guarantee an update every week or so, but an update will come out every now and then, so just hang in there.

Thank you and God Bless!

• Like 1

M-21 Sniper Weapon System: The M-21 is a simple semi automatic sniper adaptation of the M-14 battle rifle, yet an incredibly effective sniper rifle/designated marksman rifle by modern standards. Using a .308 Winchester cartridge from a 5, 10 or 20 detachable box magazine, the firearm gives any sniper significant firepower. The gun comes with a unique rifle scope pre attached, that instead of adjustable zeroing uses a built in range finder for snipers to make their own range adjustments when taking return fire from a contact. For close range, the sniper may detach the scope and use the built in iron sights, featuring a front post and rear peep style sights, familiar with American rifles like the M1 Garand and M-14. The rifle saw extensive use from the Vietnam War until the late 1980's, and sees limited usage by the American and Filipino militaries to this day in modern counter terrorism operations. It is unique to American chopper crashes with the rifle, scope and magazine only found there, although .308 Winchester is a common cartridge among civilian spawns. The ATLAS bipod is also able to be fitted onto the gun without further attachments required, making the M-21 a deadly accurate and fast firing weapon platform. Plus, it shall bring back a sense of nostalgia for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis fans, and give the SVD an American Cold War rival to compete with.

http://rs268.pbsrc.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/dsc001071jp2.jpg~320x480

Blackpowder musket: AKA the most sustainable firearm you are gonna get! No hard-to-make primers, no spent brass, no smokeless (aka hard to make) powder.

-Firearm:

Take a length of steel pipe and wrap it solidly in metal wire. This is to reinforce the pipe against the pressure of the explosion. (Black powder has relatively low pressures, so the wire might not even be necessary depending on the strength of the pipe. Cap one end (preferably, weld it shut), and drill a hole near this end (this is your "touch hole", aka how you ignite the gunpowder. Form a stock from some boards, and "attach" the stock to the barrel with some metal banding. (this will allow you to remove the barrel for cleaning).

Beneath the "touch hole", weld a small metal pan with a rotating cover. This is where you put the "priming powder" aka the powder that sets off the main charge.. Take a length of metal and form it into a "trigger and lock", so that when you pull the trigger, the lock rotates and brings the match to the pan.

Take a length of rope, and soak it in a solution of potassium nitrate. This will make the rope extremely slow-burning, and serve as your match.

-Powder":

Every couple of months, dig underneath your animal pen to find some whitish, powdery stuff. This is potassium nitrate. Make some charcoal from some form of softwood, and grind it up fine. Finally, locate a source of sulfur, either straight sulfur (easily available from any gardening supply store), some fertilizer (I am assuming the in-game fertilizer is sulfur-based, as the name and logo is literally a fire-breathing dragon), or just scrape down some match heads. You could also use finely-powdered rust, at reduced effectiveness. Mix these three ingredients in a 75% potassium nitrate/15% charcoal/10% sulfur ratio. After they are well mixed, mix them with some urine, and sieve it through a window screen. Boom (hahaha), you just made gunpowder.

-Bullets:

Take the wheel-weights off of wrecked vehicles, and melt them down into balls for shooting with. So long as the size is consistent, it doesn't really matter what size they are: a tight enough "patch" will make it more than accurate enough

-"Patches":

these are things that go over the gunpowder and under the bullet, to make sure there is a tight fit between the ball and the barrel (aka accuracy). You could use paper or cloth or leather (all, of course, are of different thicknesses, which means you could use smaller balls and get the same accuracy, but larger balls will do more damage). Using loose powder, you could get off 1 shot per minute.

Or, you could make a "paper cartridge", and make the reloading process MUCH faster, at the expense of accuracy. This would let you get between three and 4 shots off in a minute.

And, believe me or not, but a smoothbore musket can shoot tight groups out to 100 yards easily, and even further if you are skilled and know the firearm. The whole "muskets are stupid inaccurate" myth was true, in a sense, but only when used militarily. As a hunting weapon, they were quite good, to the point where Native Americans threw out bows in return for muskets.

Now, you might be asking yourself: why the hell would I want to use a (500 for a matchlock musket, 300 for a flintlock) hundreds-year-old firearm, when we have modern firearms right here? I will respond with SUSTAINABILITY. Yes, yes, right now there is a glut of ammunition of all types, to the point where you can wander around with hundreds of bullets jingling, but what happens later down the line? 

Realistically, Chernarus would run out of (quality. Who knows how many caustic acid-producing Soviet surplus ammo there is stockpiled?) actual "modern" bullets relatively quickly. Everything that goes into a "modern" bullet (smokeless powder, primers, brass, etc) essentially requires international trade, something that rather obviously isn't happening in a zombie apocalypse. So, there would be local stockpiles of both bullets, and the materials to make more bullets, but inevitably (realistically) they would run out.

Using a blackpowder firearm essentially removes you from that shortage. For the "survivalist", not relying on something from town is a gigantic blessing. You can literally make every part of the firearm, and it is infinitely easier than learning how to use a bow/crossbow/primitive ranged weapon.

Plenty of people (and not just in the US, either) today use blackpowder muzzleloaders for hunting, shooting, and recreational use. Anything on the North American continent can be killed with one of these, from a rabbit to a bear.

( I told you how to build a matchlock because they require less springs and such to make, compared to a flintlock. However, a flintlock could also be improvised relatively easily, say, with the striker from a lighter?)

M-21 Sniper Weapon System: The M-21 is a simple semi automatic sniper adaptation of the M-14 battle rifle, yet an incredibly effective sniper rifle/designated marksman rifle by modern standards. Using a .308 Winchester cartridge from a 5, 10 or 20 detachable box magazine, the firearm gives any sniper significant firepower. The gun comes with a unique rifle scope pre attached, that instead of adjustable zeroing uses a built in range finder for snipers to make their own range adjustments when taking return fire from a contact. For close range, the sniper may detach the scope and use the built in iron sights, featuring a front post and rear peep style sights, familiar with American rifles like the M1 Garand and M-14. The rifle saw extensive use from the Vietnam War until the late 1980's, and sees limited usage by the American and Filipino militaries to this day in modern counter terrorism operations. It is unique to American chopper crashes with the rifle, scope and magazine only found there, although .308 Winchester is a common cartridge among civilian spawns. The ATLAS bipod is also able to be fitted onto the gun without further attachments required, making the M-21 a deadly accurate and fast firing weapon platform. Plus, it shall bring back a sense of nostalgia for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis fans, and give the SVD an American Cold War rival to compete with.

http://rs268.pbsrc.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/dsc001071jp2.jpg~320x480

The military variant would use 7.62x51 NATO, not .308 Winchester, but that round is confirmed to be coming eventually with the FN FAL so it doesn't really matter.

I do like the concept of a scope with a built-in rangefinder, but I think that it should spawn as a loose item rather than coming pre-attached to a gun (and of course, it requires a battery).

On the weapon overall, I'd rather they add the M14. The M21 is essentially just an M14 modified for longer range combat, and such modifications (longer barrels, etc.) are confirmed to be coming eventually. So overall if they add the M14, which I think is more likely, there is no point in adding the M21 as a separate weapon.

*snip*

I thought of adding Flintlock/matchlock rifles and pistols to the list a while ago but decided not to bother. I'm in support of this weapon type being added, but only if the crafting mechanics for it are realistic (i.e. you need to have high skill and put forth effort to make one that will actually be able to hit anything, rather than just "1 Firewood + 1 Scrap Metal" or something exceedingly simple lime that).

I do like the concept of a scope with a built-in rangefinder, but I think that it should spawn as a loose item rather than coming pre-attached to a gun (and of course, it requires a battery)

The rangefinder in the scope is not electronic in the design I had in mine. The reticle simply has a series of horizontal markers that represent a man's shoulder width. If the target's shoulder width matches with the length of the line, the target is correctly ranged, with the shot striking in the centre of that line.

The M-21 would be redundant if an M-14 were added with match grade barrels, long range scopes etc, but I figured a true M-21 itself would be great just for long time OFP/ARMA fans as it was a classic gun from OFP: CWC so many years ago.