Sign in to follow this  
catolm

When do tents arrive? (Sorry of redundant, new here)

Sorry if I ask a question asked before, but I did use the search function and it returned useless results.

Hello there. I wonder when will the tents arrive to the alpha? 80% of the fun in this game is gearing up, finding stuff, working to find a good and safe spot to set up camp, making sure that people are lured away from that location by distractions. Hiding the tents good, searching for other peoples camps, stalking other people to find their camp and raid them while they are out doing something else or ambush them with a surprise attack. Without server-spesific persistent storage this is not really a wasteland world, because this would be most peoples number one priority.

So, when will the tents arrive?
Cheers. Chariot

I heared will you be able to build your own house/base

Pretty sure tents and player made structures can't and won't be implemented until the servers are capable of handling persistence and loot respawning. Otherwise everytime a server restarted you would be starting your building from scratch.

So once you see we get persistent servers ; expect tents / building fortification soon.

In the devs words "when its ready" is when we will get everything lol. Lot of speculation on bases, rocket mentioned underground instanced bases, but that was a looooong time ago and i dunno if thats still the plan :)

Barricades are expected reasonably early, whatever that means.

I assume tents will come after barricades, as they first test simple persistent items, then persistent items containing other stuff.

Thanks for the quick answers folks :) I was afraid the super hardcores who hate tents had gotten their way and ruined the game :P
Be looking forward to the camps!

Cheers. Chariot

Hopefully after they spend a lot of time considering the mechanics of how they should work because it's just shit to let loot hoarders run back to their tent, filled with gear they server hopped/farmed to fill, after they die. 

It is fun to find someone's camp though.  A lot of fun.

I think the plan with bases is to make them underground and instanced, so when you login to a server your base door would be placed in world and what you did underground would be separate to the server. This way you could move servers on the public hive without losing your base. Not sure how this would work or how you would share a base with someone, if you were both on different servers. Point is I don't think they have fully decided on what they will do with bases but the general plan is to implement some kind of system in future.

Hopefully after they spend a lot of time considering the mechanics of how they should work because it's just shit to let loot hoarders run back to their tent, filled with gear they server hopped/farmed to fill, after they die. 

It is fun to find someone's camp though.  A lot of fun.

This made me laugh, first hoarding is bad....but not if i find the hoarders stash :)

Im a hoarder....had a lot of 5-6 tent camps on the mod. We once made an epic one with 5+ vehicles, the server heli and loooads of tents. Was private so no hopping...all hard work. Having that raided was one of the most emotive moments in any video game iv ever had. I think i spent the next 2 hours of gameplay searching the map edges to get it all back :D 

I think the plan with bases is to make them underground and instanced, so when you login to a server your base door would be placed in world and what you did underground would be separate to the server. This way you could move servers on the public hive without losing your base. Not sure how this would work or how you would share a base with someone, if you were both on different servers. Point is I don't think they have fully decided on what they will do with bases but the general plan is to implement some kind of system in future.

Whoa I really hope this doesn't happen. A base following through server changes would be horribly boring and bad.

Cheers. Chariot

This made me laugh, first hoarding is bad....but not if i find the hoarders stash :)

Im a hoarder....had a lot of 5-6 tent camps on the mod. We once made an epic one with 5+ vehicles, the server heli and loooads of tents. Was private so no hopping...all hard work. Having that raided was one of the most emotive moments in any video game iv ever had. I think i spent the next 2 hours of gameplay searching the map edges to get it all back :D

hoarding isn't bad.  Hopping and farming to fill tents is imo.   as i said, they need to reconsider the mechanics of it.  If you die, you shouldn't magically know where to run to regear with zero effort.  That's honestly my biggest issue with it.

Luckily, we have hardcore and regular so who knows what will come of it all.  I agree, getting raided and raiding camps is fun.  There is no denying that. :)

I guess it would be cool if your stuff moved with you, but then when you logged off it couldn't be found or raided. Also, sharing things would be difficult.

So they could either have servers that function like private hives: tents/bases persist on the server, separate character. Or they could have half-persistent servers like the vanilla mod: public character, but tents/bases tied to the server.

The way sharding works in most MMOs, is the first option, isn't it?