KnightFall1856

How many of you can read/write russian?

I am just happy that this is not some area of ​​China then we would ged something like this 多倫多,邁阿密, 拉斯維加斯 :D

• Like 1

Actually it is "reading russian", as cyrillic is not a language but a set of characters. Russian differs quite a lot from other countries that use the cyrillic alphabet.

Anyways the cyrillic alphabet is very similar to latin alphabet as it is simply different symbols for more or less the same letters

Actually the signs around DayZ are written in Cyrillic but the names are based on the Czech language, not Russian

or maybe not... LOL

Edited by hypergolem

Actually the signs around DayZ are written in Cyrillic but the names are based on the Czech language, not Russian

Are you talking about the town/village names? Because they are russian-based, not czech.

For example a czech equivalent of Chernogorsk would be Černá Hora (Black mountain) if it were based on that.

Edited by Ceallach

Are you talking about the town/village names? Because they are russian-based, not czech.

For example a czech equivalent of Chernogorsk would be Černá Hora (Black mountain) if it were based on that.

I always thought that Chernogorks means black forest as in my laguage (bulgarian) gorsk is close to gora, wich means forest and mountain is planina.

Edited by overdosed

Are you sure? The landscape is modeled after a czech area but the names sound rather russian. For example from my veeeery limited understanding of russian I would translate

Chernogorsk = Black heights, valley or something like that

Zelenogorsk = Green heights, valley or something like that

Zub = Tooth

Pobeda dam = Victory dam

Also the words gorsk, jarsk, ovo (endings of town names sound distinctively russian). And in arma2 all the civilians spoke russian

I might as well be talking out of my tush, I dont know anything about the czech language.

*I dont claim any of this is correct, did all the translating from what I know about russian, did not check against a dictionary

Edited by alleycat

Well, If I had to specifically translate Zelenogorsk into czech, it would be Green Mountain. If I am not mistaken.

Of course, I am no linguist. Just basing this on the czech mindset of the developers.

... but now you know where the name for that hill with a radio tower come from, eh? :P

Edited by Ceallach

the words green and mountain are similar in russian and czech. However Chernarus =Black russia, similar to Belarus =White russia is a clear indication the country was modeled after a russian speaking small country bordering russia, like belarus. + civilians speak russian in arma2

And the official wiki says:

People

The population of Chernarus is a combination of Chernarussian and Russian peoples. Russian populations are mostly condensed in the Northeastern region of South Zagoria in towns such as Krasnostav. The two nationalities share tensions, especially on the topic of politics. In times of war, civilians have created insurgencies, most notably in the 2009 Chernarus conflict. Insurgent groups made attacks against ChDKZ and Russian military groups.

My girlfriend understands ancient Greek, if that helps.

Is she a demi-god? :P

I have no idea how to read/write russian, I just remember the roads around / near towns I travel to often so instead of reading street signs I 'read' the environment around me and try to figure out where I am and where I should go. It works most of the time but sometimes I'm walking aimlessly in the woods in a direction (N, E, S, or W) until I eventually come upon a familiar area.

So I took 2 years of russian in college and I am the designated translator when we run into a street sign. I am by no means fluent but I am able to read the street signs and sometimes Im really grateful for that ability lol. So im curious..any non-native russian speakers that share in this ability? 

Nope, can't read any of the street signs.  Unfortunately we don't have any Russians in our group.

Not very realistic.  How realistic is it that when the Apocolypse happens, ALL of the street signs in your town change to a language you can't READ.

They should use English.  Most players either can read English, or have a friend in their group that can.  <-----------------definitely WANT THIS

iZurvive. It's free app on Google Play. The english translation is under the russian version.

To simplify things, just take the first three characters of the first russian word of the town, then match them to a location name in iZurvive.

See, simple isn't it ?

Edited by zaphodity

It's so nice. I love knowing exactly where I am as my friends are telling me they are in backwards R (space invaders) W town

My missus is Lithuanian, I just shout her over when I need to work out where I am...  

Not very realistic.  How realistic is it that when the Apocolypse happens, ALL of the street signs in your town change to a language you can't READ.

What's realistic about Russian towns having English signs?
Edited by Martmital

i dont speak russian and i have no desire to learn. speaking murrican is good enough for me

Maybe you are right. I was reading somewhere that the names are basically Czech but written in Cyrillic. It could be that what I read was wrong.

My language is Slovenian and I can understand the names completely, but I cannot tell what language they are. I based my knowledge on some info found somewhere on a webpage... not very reliable hehehe

Maybe you are right. I was reading somewhere that the names are basically Czech but written in Cyrillic. It could be that what I read was wrong.

My language is Slovenian and I can understand the names completely, but I cannot tell what language they are. I based my knowledge on some info found somewhere on a webpage... not very reliable hehehe

Names are def russian. That much I can tell by just how they sound.

There is no need to speak or read Russian in order to navigate.  I took a semester of Russian in college with the goal of simply being able to pronounce words as I came across them.  Learning how to pronounce Cyrillic characters is a pretty short process with some flash cards.  Being able to pronounce entire words actually turned out to be quite difficult as Russian, like English, has multiple levels of stress and no formal rules to guide the reader on how each syllable is stressed.  This is unlike, for example, Spanish -- which has two levels of stress and a very formal system for determining which syllable is stressed.  In Spanish, if a word doesn't fit the formal rules, an accent mark is explicitly placed in the word so the reader knows exactly how it's pronounced.  Written English and Russian simply don't contain all of the information required in order to know how to pronounce the word.  They have to be heard and memorized or you have to look the word up in a dictionary and decipher all of the stress marks in the pronunciation guide.

However, with some flashcards anyone can memorize the sound each Cyrillic character makes in pretty short order and will have no problem navigating.  Virtually all Cyrillic characters only make one sound -- with few exceptions -- unlike the mess that is English.  Stress levels won't be correct if the word is spoken but it's a quick 90% solution.

As a bulgarian Cyrillic alphabet is my native one, so it makes me feel Chernarus like home :)

Same here, might aswell team up sometime. Send me a private message if youre up for it.

Could some one translate those posters near svetloyarsks church, I can read zombie word and then there is pictures from handwashing but I wonder what they really try to say.