Sign in to follow this  
Niner

Night vision, GPS.

The question is how long has the apocalypse been going on for?

regardless, the satellites are in space, still sending things back, and still making electricity (solar panels). I think it's possible from them to work. 

Unless it's a GPS that requires data to be sent to an antenna first then to the gps. 

• Like 1

No, that just means that people without NVGs will continue to gamma hack. How is their addition even close to being a solution?

Its not a hack as its in all known game engines apart from Doom 3 and arma 3. It's not going away till he gets the bit of code from Arma 3 engine. Deal with it or leave, moaning about its alot like moaning about the rain people hate it but it will never go away.

I doubt the GPS will come back...there would be no satellites for it to operate on (assuming this is the apocalypse)

Why not? There would be some for several years. Now how many functional ones or relay stations is another question.

As far as Im aware, GPS satalites require some sort of positional update data sent to them regularly otherwise they quickly become inaccurate. This is explained on the first page of this topic. It goes on to say that it would not take a very long period of time before this takes affect. Perhaps a few days to a few weeks to become useless for Global positioning.

As far as Im aware, GPS satalites require some sort of positional update data sent to them regularly otherwise they quickly become inaccurate. This is explained on the first page of this topic. It goes on to say that it would not take a very long period of time before this takes affect. Perhaps a few days to a few weeks to become useless for Global positioning.

Well we do need to remember it is a game. Now could this be turned into something inturesting where the gps sometimes totally goes out of whack and sends you bad info? Absolutely! But should it be in our out of the game is a gameplay question more than a 'would they still be working' question.

I really hope they would soon add NVGs. Though, I wonder what "slot" they will take, the helmet, or the eye wear?

I really hope they would soon add NVGs. Though, I wonder what "slot" they will take, the helmet, or the eye wear?

Probably the same one that the masks take.

Probably the same one that the masks take.

I don't see how a night vision goggles would take the mask slot. I mean, they're goggles, not a full face mask.

Well we do need to remember it is a game. Now could this be turned into something inturesting where the gps sometimes totally goes out of whack and sends you bad info? Absolutely! But should it be in our out of the game is a gameplay question more than a 'would they still be working' question.

I think the point was realisim.

so funny how every second thread turns into a knowledge-battle...

lookin foward to NV, GPS is pretty useless if u know the map

I don't see how a night vision goggles would take the mask slot. I mean, they're goggles, not a full face mask.

I mean, you have a point. But helmet dont have attachments currently and it would probably be the best slot for it.

On that point it would be nice to be able to put nvg and the torch on a helmet. Not using any current slot.

not being able to put on the torch when wearing other head gear doesnt make sense at all...

this needs to be fixed soon. Right now they are useless imo, its allready dangerous to use a flashlight with a helmet ;)

Do we have any lore based on time in DayZ?

It could be a futuristic setting like in year 2370.. The mystic plague hit the earth.. :D

So in future patches we might discover new tech.

Edited by Ori42

Well if they add the NVG then people wouldn't use the gamma exploit. So adding NVG will eventually stop or lower the use of increasing gamma and brightness. I admit i use it as when its dark i can see nothing at all as the flashlight is useless. Plus i use it tactically i'm not going to use the flashlight on a pop server at night. It's like painting a huge bullseye on you with a giant flashing neon sign saying "Shoot me". Dayz does not depict night very accurately if i'm not mistaken the sky map depicts a full moon which in RL we should be able to see quite well as everything would be in grayscale till we got very close or shined a torch on it.

Have you met the internet? People will still use the gamma exploit, if they don't have NVG's, thus rendering them meaningless. Just as night time is meaningless in any game ever made because of this.

In ARMA/DayZ you can actually see pretty well by moonlight, but if it's cloudy you're screwed. And since there is no way to stop people turning up their gamma, there's no way to play at night without being seriously disadvantaged against those who do.

The solution isn't to put in NVG's, the solution is to remove night time. As much as I love it, there's just no way to level the playing field at night. Which is probably why server numbers drop slowly to zero after the server time reaches 17:00 or so. 

Edited by Rickenbacker
  • Like 1

I don't even know why you want the NVG as well... I'm not using gamma exploit, and I can see very clearly during the night ! Even thought its dark, use your flash light or get over it..

It a kinda cheated item I think for the Standalone, unless if its working on battery and one battery stand for 15 to 30 minutes... and you have to change it.. otherwise, we will see camper with their mozin showing and just killing people in the darkness of Chernarus.

I'm against those two because this is a survival game not arma 3 :p

Have you met the internet? People will still use the gamma exploit, if they don't have NVG's, thus rendering them meaningless. Just as night time is meaningless in any game ever made because of this.

In ARMA/DayZ you can actually see pretty well by moonlight, but if it's cloudy you're screwed. And since there is no way to stop people turning up their gamma, there's no way to play at night without being seriously disadvantaged against those who do.

The solution isn't to put in NVG's, the solution is to remove night time. As much as I love it, there's just no way to level the playing field at night. Which is probably why server numbers drop slowly to zero after the server time reaches 17:00 or so. 

You cant see very well at night with dayz if you have everything on default settings the screen is completely black apart from the sky map with it s white dots. your telling me you see quite well then im calling you out on BS and saying you got you brightness turned up.