Sign in to follow this  
Niner

Night vision, GPS.

I used the search function, nothing came, do they intend to add these items? I would hope so, seeing as they aren't just used by military, my father had a pair of night vision goggles and binoculars as well.

As for the GPS, it was actually made by the military and found it being used by civilians, so, hopefully.

I doubt the GPS will come back...there would be no satellites for it to operate on (assuming this is the apocalypse)

models of NVG, gps and binoculars are already in the game files, it's a matter of texturing and adding animation to those items.

I doubt the GPS will come back...there would be no satellites for it to operate on (assuming this is the apocalypse)

Fairly certain satellites can last a long time without maintenance

• Like 4

Fairly certain satellites can last a long time without maintenance

The question is how long has the apocalypse been going on for?

GPS dosen't make sense because you would need constant clear sky and an aligned satellite, which is wildly unrealistic. Nightvision on the other hand I dont see why not; as long as it's not OP. Green glow on the front end maybe? Extreme battery usage?

These items are pretty low if not the lowest on the priority list. Major bugs and sound glitches need to be attended to and fixed first.

The question is how long has the apocalypse been going on for?

Hubble Telescope been in space over 20 years, i imagine it could last hundreds of years, if not thousands due to their being extremely low chance of being destroyed

Edited by The Legit Pie

GPS dosen't make sense because you would need constant clear sky and an aligned satellite, which is wildly unrealistic. Nightvision on the other hand I dont see why not; as long as it's not OP. Green glow on the front end maybe? Extreme battery usage?

These items are pretty low if not the lowest on the priority list. Major bugs and sound glitches need to be attended to and fixed first.

its not like there is a person directly connecting you to the satellite like its an old school phone or something. its unrealistic to think these kinds of services would just suddenly fall apart and stop working. perhaps lower the accuracy to account for bad weather. it gives you a general idea where you are.  

The only thing i understood from that was that you wanted to know if night vision goggles were going to be added, here's a link to the 3D models. 

http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-leaked-standalone-3d-models/

Was asking if they intended to put those items in game and brought up the fact that my father owned the items just in case someone brought the argument of "Those are military items."

GPS dosen't make sense because you would need constant clear sky and an aligned satellite, which is wildly unrealistic.

Ummm, how do you think it works right now...?

• Like 4

GPS dosen't make sense because you would need constant clear sky and an aligned satellite, which is wildly unrealistic.

How exactly do you think GPS works? "an aligned satellite" there are dozens of them, and all they do is transmit an ID and a timestamp, your GPS does the rest by triangulation.

• Like 1

Within a few months the GPS info would become largely incorrect due to the timeshift and orbit shift of the satellites. Their orbit information has to be continuously updated or they fall out of sync and drift.

• Like 3

Satelites will not cease to operate in just few days.

NVG shouldn't be added until gamma exploit is fixed or they will be pointless.

No, but if the position updates to the GPS satellites stopped, the accuracy would start to degrade in a day or so, and within a few months (some sources say up to 180 days) they would be so far off they'd be completely useless.

• Like 1

So, you might be saying to yourself, “I’ll just use my trusty GPS system to get around – that never fails me.”

And you’d be DEAD wrong.

To understand why, it’s important to understand how GPS works. “Satellites right?” Sure thing there Isaac Newton, but let’s look at it in a little more detail.

GPS or Global Positioning System is a project run by the US Government, The Air Force Actually. The Air Force keeps a minimum of 24 satellites orbiting the Earth broadcasting a radio signal with their time and position. Currently there are a number of redundant systems should a problem occur.

That’s the technology part. However, the weakest link in the security of any system is the human part.

These satellites need constant adjustment. The ground operations are relative complex, and handled by 2nd Space Operations Squadron (2SOPS) . Their operations consist of a Master Control Station in Colorado, as well monitoring stations and antennas all over the world. This system allows the military to fire a cruise missile form a ship and have it fly through the correct window of the building.

So, in ZA world, we have to assume an eventual breakdown in society, and perhaps the military becoming overwhelmed. What if the monitoring or Master Control Station were abandoned? How long would the GPS system serve us?

Turns out, not very long. Without constant adjustments to the satellite’s clocks, they will be useless almost immediately.

Now here’s some science stuff: Because of relativity (you know the Einstain stuff), time is actually different on Earth than it is in Space. So the clock shift in the satellites put the GPS coordinates off by 11 kilometers a day. 11 klicks is some extreme discrepency – enough to mean the difference between arriving at a well-stocked military base and becoming zombie poop. (Do zombies poop? We’ll examine that at another time).

So Mr. Fancy Technologypants, where does that leave you. Well sonny, when I was a boy, they made these things called maps and compasses. Turns out they still make them, and they still work. Get yourself some topographical maps and a compass, take a course in orienteering.

Source: http://www.zombieprepnetwork.com/survival-navigation/rely-gps-apocalypse/

Edited by fox0rz
  • Like 3

i would really like to see good binoculars in the game... nvg are ok but should be extremly rare.

i dont really see the need for gps, compass and map is all you need...

Skyline-GTRs arguement sounds valid... but im no expert on how long those things could correctly operate without communication from a ground station...

if it really is a world wide epidemic those sattelites would be useless... if its only local on the other hand... but hey like a said, gps isnt really needed imo.

Edited by Sonic-NKT

Seriously GPS is a most recent invention.

We as humans actually plotted the entire globe before said invention.

Im pretty sure map and compass would do just fine.

Ok, so it seems GPS's should eventually become useless (thanks for pointing this out). But then again, the game takes place just after the apocalypse... I wonder if their degradation should be an in-game process - that would be funny :)

NVG shouldn't be added until gamma exploit is fixed or they will be pointless.

Well if they add the NVG then people wouldn't use the gamma exploit. So adding NVG will eventually stop or lower the use of increasing gamma and brightness. I admit i use it as when its dark i can see nothing at all as the flashlight is useless. Plus i use it tactically i'm not going to use the flashlight on a pop server at night. It's like painting a huge bullseye on you with a giant flashing neon sign saying "Shoot me". Dayz does not depict night very accurately if i'm not mistaken the sky map depicts a full moon which in RL we should be able to see quite well as everything would be in grayscale till we got very close or shined a torch on it.

Satelites are satelites, so long they recieve sun energy they can function. That's ofcourse it doesn't have any issues...

Well if they add the NVG then people wouldn't use the gamma exploit. So adding NVG will eventually stop or lower the use of increasing gamma and brightness. I admit i use it as when its dark i can see nothing at all as the flashlight is useless. Plus i use it tactically i'm not going to use the flashlight on a pop server at night. It's like painting a huge bullseye on you with a giant flashing neon sign saying "Shoot me". Dayz does not depict night very accurately if i'm not mistaken the sky map depicts a full moon which in RL we should be able to see quite well as everything would be in grayscale till we got very close or shined a torch on it.

No, that just means that people without NVGs will continue to gamma hack. How is their addition even close to being a solution?