Sign in to follow this  
Fixatedspace

CPU or GPU?

Hi there,

I'll just start by saying i'm new to the forum, but have played Dayz since the early mod days. Moving on to topic though, is my lack of quality and performance in-game due to my CPU or GPU?

System Specs:

Intel® Core i-3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 

8GB RAM

GeForce GT 630 Total: 4GB Dedicated: 2GB

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Operating System

1TB Hard Drive

In-game, i have been playing in very low, low and normal video settings, in 1080p reaching atleast 30fps. As for my CPU, its not over-clocked as i've read up it isn't worth it. My Graphics Card is over clocked to run at:

GPU Clock(MHz): 910

Memory Clock(MHz): 2000

i'm looking to spend £150-£200.

So which one should i upgrade? A few people have told me that my CPU is just borderline fine to run the game but my graphics card struggles to play games on medium quality. If i turn up the video settings it lags and drops fps. if i drop the video settings i run smooth as silk. Its probably going to be my graphics card that needs upgrading to pull more video quality but just need conformation.

Thank you in advance and happy Dayz!

These games (DayZ/ArmA) are very CPU dependant. Your GPU is better than mine, and I can still run DayZ at decent frames.

If you've £150-200 to spend, I'd recomment something like an Intel i5 4670k as initial reports indicate DayZ works better with Intel CPUs than AMD CPUs.

Be aware though that a latest model of processor may require you to update your Motherboard also, as the socket to which the CPU is fitted may have changed.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the quick reply! I will do some research on upgrading to i5 then :) thanks again!

• Like 1

GPU; a 630 is very weak. You should get something like a GTX760. Make sure your power supply has enough wattage.

Edited by atrika

would follow atrika. Your Graphics-adapter is very low end of 600 generation of nvidia

Ok thanks for the quick reply! I will do some research on upgrading to i5 then :) thanks again!

What Motherboard do you have?

If you move to an i5, make sure you get a "K" one as they're unlocked and can be easily overclocked past 4GHz.

As other have said, your GPU will be holding you back once you have a decent CPU.

The GT 760 is a whole lot of performance for £205 at the moment.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32865-4.html

If the choice is between upgrading an i3 or a GT630, theres no discusion really :)

Upgrade the CPU, you will get far more performance in this game with that upgrade, then any GPU will ever give you mate.

If you move to an i5, make sure you get a "K" one as they're unlocked and can be easily overclocked past 4GHz.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this. What Terminal said!

Don't listen to all the GPU haters. Whilst they are correct that your GPU is quite old, the CPU will take priority if you're focusing on DayZ/Bohemia Interactive titles.

I'm running a Powercolor HD5700 or something ancient like that, and I can still play DayZ to a decent standard 'cos of my AMD FX6300.

And you are completely welcome.