Rancor

Starving to death very quickly on experimental branch

Hey fellows,

i think i just discovered a bug on  the experimental branch. 

When you are stuffed and hydrated, and then get hungy, you are going to starve very very quickly.

This is reproduceable. It happens several times to me.

But when i am not hydrated and stuffed it takes way more time until i am going to starv. ( like on stable branch )

Intended or bug?

Edited by Rancor

Happened to me as well. And I also fell over while running when I got the starvation message.

The did mention in the patch notes that "Hunger and thirst was slightly modified". I guess that "slightly" was a bit of an understatement.

If you are stuffed and hydrated then you are stuffed on water not food.  When you Eat a lot of food it will say you are energized.  Eat until this shows up and you should be fine.  Once your character gets to the hungry stage, your characters energy and food level is severely low and need to eat ASAP. 

• Like 3

Yep, same here. Happened to me too on my first char.

Hey fellows,

i think i just recovered a bug on experimental branch. 

When you are stuffed and hydrated, and then get hungy, you are going to starve very very quickly.

This is reproduceable. It happens several times to me.

But when i am not hydrated and stuffed it takes way more time until i am going to starv. ( like on stable branch )

Intended or bug?

So why didn't you look it up on the Bug tracker or if you didn't find it, file a bug report instead?

Basicly this; 

uh2u.jpg

• Like 1

I think that the thing with food/water right now looks like this.

When You eat and drink You can get stuffed like before but now there is no gap between stuffed and vomiting so when You get stuffed icon then Your dude/duditte will vomit right after. That pretty much empty Your stomak and dehydrate You. Problem is that stuffed icon does not disappear so people still see icon and they dont eat/drink! But actually You are not stuffed! You can eat and drink but just not too much! And when You dont have stuffed Yet just try to not eat/drink to much after getting those two new status effects.

Of course its bug but You dont need to die. :)

EDIT:

Also You can get stuffed replaced with sick and then remove sickness effect with berries for example!

Edited by Gaweu

Yeah i had this too then realized it was my own fault DO NOT eat till stuffed ever as soon as you vomit you lose the contents of your stomach and it seems while you have stuffed status or after you've puked (i think) you come sick but it's not telling us because food seems to drain extremely fast after you puke.

I thought it was broken at first but now after figuring it out and playing with it a bit i think it's more of a learning curve to not just spam water taps anymore till the stuffed message comes up!

Thats because in the experimental you throw up immediately after you are stuffed which makes you extremely hungry.

You go straight to starvation and if you are not able to eat some food in the upcoming minutes, you die.

This is a realistic feature and I'm looking forward to it, if a person drinks several liters in only 1-2 minutes he/she should absolutely throw that up.

People can easily avoid this by just clicking ~10-15 times (depending on current stomach capacity) on a pot instead of 20 or even 30 times...

Edited by YassirX
  • Like 1

Thats because in the experimental you throw up immediately after you are stuffed which makes you extremely hungry.

You go straight to starvation and if you are not able to eat some food in the upcoming minutes, you die.

This is a realistic feature and I'm looking forward to it, if a person drinks several liters in only 1-2 minutes he/she should absolutely throw that up.

People can easily avoid this by just clicking ~10-15 times (depending on current stomach capacity) on a pot instead of 20 or even 30 times...

Ahh okay, that makes sense...

To avoid getting the stuffed status keep an eye on your status as you eat and drink, once you get to Hydrated stop drinking, and at Energized stop eating.

Before long you will need to top up again to stay at a good level.

I like it, means you cant just spam drink a couple of gallons when you first spawn, wait ten minutes, eat a bag of rice and be good to go.

Though i am seeing a few reports that the stuffed icon might be bugged and doesn't go away even after long periods of time, not a big problem though if you just watch your water and food intake.

But then we should get some warning about getting stuffed BEFORE we actually vomit no?

I mean in reality you would feel that you are about to puke from eating / drinking too much and while this is a game, we need to know as well.

Or are you traying to say, that it is no longer good to have stuffed effect and you need to somehow know, how much you can eat & drink before getting that status?

Sorry if i'm not interpreting this correctly, but doesn't this means you have to balance water/hydration and food consumption ?

Before we could run only on water, now it seems we really have to balance all supplies and no top of that not get stuffed.

Sorry if i'm not interpreting this correctly, but doesn't this means you have to balance water/hydration and food consumption ?

Before we could run only on water, now it seems we really have to balance all supplies and no top of that not get stuffed.

I don't think that before you cou run only on water at all.

You could get stuffed with water, but that would not solve your hunger problem at all.

It was just considered as best upon spawning to find water pump, get stuffed on water and head inland in search of food.

I don't think that before you cou run only on water at all.

You could get stuffed with water, but that would not solve your hunger problem at all.

It was just considered as best upon spawning to find water pump, get stuffed on water and head inland in search of food.

Sorry to disagree, but went all across the map, from NE airfield, jogging and sprinting, through all the N end, up to the pass, and then south on my way to the capital city. I didn't eat a thing and only drank 1 bottle of water and half a canteen. This was on purpose to test the Healthy status. So there was no need for food in a 42km marathon, fully equipped :)

Mind you, i'm not pointing it is not a "unwanted effect" but will jump into experimental and test it through tonight given I can spare the time.

Cheers.

edit: typos

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Sorry to disagree, but went all across the map, from NE airfield, jogging and sprinting, through all the N end, up to the pass, and then south on my way to the capital city. I didn't eat a thing and only drank 1 bottle of water and half a canteen. This was on purpose to test the Healthy status. So there was no need for food in a 42km marathon, fully equipped :)

Mind you, i'm not pointing it is not a "unwanted effect" but will jump into experimental and test it through tonight given I can spare the time.

Cheers.

edit: typos

Hmm that's weird. 2 days ago, me and my buddy spawned in Kamyshovo, which was (ofc) completely looted. So we found water pump and got stuffed with water.

Then we ran to Tulga (also looted dry), to Msta (we found powdered milk there!) and proceeded north-west to Guglovo. My friend got very hungry status and reported his colors were turning gray, so I would say, he was definitely losing blood because of hunger. 

To avoid getting the stuffed status keep an eye on your status as you eat and drink, once you get to Hydrated stop drinking, and at Energized stop eating.

Before long you will need to top up again to stay at a good level.

I like it, means you cant just spam drink a couple of gallons when you first spawn, wait ten minutes, eat a bag of rice and be good to go.

Though i am seeing a few reports that the stuffed icon might be bugged and doesn't go away even after long periods of time, not a big problem though if you just watch your water and food intake.

This would lead to you being constantly on the edge of dehydration and starvation, and needing to eat and drink every few minutes.

Stuffed needs to be a warning that you MIGHT throw up if you eat/drink more, not insta-puke. We need to be able to fill up on energy (i.e. eat enough to store it in our fat cells) without puking.

Or are you traying to say, that it is no longer good to have stuffed effect and you need to somehow know, how much you can eat & drink before getting that status?

Being stuffed was always bad, but in the current version it doesn't cause you to insta-puke.

Being stuffed was always bad, but in the current version it doesn't cause you to insta-puke.

In real life, measuring how full you are is actually pretty easy. In DayZ we rely on messages, so you get the "Stuffed" status when your character says "I feel really full" or something like that. I don't think that message should be tied to the status in such a way that makes it seem like being stuffed is actually a good thing.

I don't really see the problem with how the system works right now, except for the stomach capacity. But insta-puke without proper warnings would be very annoying.

Edited by Ghostflux
  • Like 1

In real life, you can go roughly 3 weeks without food before becoming incapacitated, so it seems like the current rate of starvation just a tad skewed...

• Like 1

i would agree,however there is no intermediate warning to let you know that your nearly stuffed...

i'm sure if you ate until you puked, you would have a few warnings to your brain before hand.