oLoki182o

Alt Tab Death

So its cheating to use a map that is akin to what you might find on a GPS, with waypoints and points of interest...

got it. i'll happily cheat, then.

Pretty sure your GPS would be useless once there's no one maintaining the satellites, bud.

• Like 1

Pretty sure your GPS would be useless once there's no one maintaining the satellites, bud.

and once the internal battery is dead....

If you're lost and don't know where you are, just do what I do and find some powerlines and follow them. Best way to get around (knowing where you're going that is) between the larger towns

• Like 1

Because map pieces are so scarce, we are forced to use alt tabbing to view a map of the game thru a website. I have lost count of the times where I find a spot in a town and NO body is around.

I sit there for a few mins and then all of a sudden I alt tab to view the map and when I alt tab back into the game... there is a Zombie on me.

Yea that happened to me once,just alt tabed and got knocked out by a zoombie,luckly a friendly medic revived me though

The dayz db map was invaluable for the mod since walking in the wrong direction could mean certain death.

Now, with all the new loot buildings in the standalone, navigation tools are no longer essential since you will generally find a town with loot before youll starve to death no matter what direction you walk.

I do kind of miss the danger of getting lost...

I will agree with one thing. I think maps should be a bit less rare. ONLY by a little though. but at the same time I kind of like how rare they are to find as it makes them pieces worth murdering someone over IMO...but that wont ever be true due to all the meta in this game and the ability to just pull up the chernarus map on google.

I only used the DayZ SA Chernarus map when I was first starting the game. After a few days and I had my bearings for a couple towns, I left it to memory after that. It is so much more enjoyable to come across towns and sniper hides etc... when you're not staring at a chrome page with the loot map open

at the very least if people are going to use the Chernarus loot map, I would encourage turning all the indicators off to enhance your experience just a little. 

Do people seriously not use maps anymore? In my house, I have street maps for the major towns in my area, a USGS topo map for Massachsetts, then New England. In my actual backpack, I have trailmaps for all of the places I've recently gone hiking/camping. These maps are often topo maps as well, and they are free from the National/State Parks and Forests Ranger Office. The Scouts in my Troop know how to use a GPS, but they've never actually used one, as I beat map-and-compass skills into them since they first joined.

Seriously, knowing how to use a map and compass could be a lifesaver in a wilderness survival situation, and the skills take all of 1/2 an hour to learn. Maybe a little more, if you want to know declination.

Maps could even be useful even if you aren't lost. Block out gang territory on your map. Mark good hunting grounds. Look for, and use, the little dirt roads in East-Titty Bumfuck, so you can find your way about unseen and unheard.

• Like 3

I'd like to see you all in a zombie apocalypse. 

"Oh look a map of this area! Should I take it since I don't know this area at all and want to survive?" 

"NAAAAAH I'll just run around a country blindly until I get it down..."

Yeah maps are super rare, Kinda retarded, I mean did all the zombies burn most of them and tear up the rest in pieces? How can there be NO full maps left? come on lol 

it should be a challange.

No? 

I'd like to see you all in a zombie apocalypse. 

"Oh look a map of this area! Should I take it since I don't know this area at all and want to survive?" 

"NAAAAAH I'll just run around a country blindly until I get it down..."

But, it's game.

No? 

Having a map doesn't really make the game any less challenging. Now, you know where loot CAN BE, but not if it is there, and you still have to get there in order to grab it. You can actually play the game, instead of wandering aimlessly around before starving to death.

Well, i think first we need to determine who we are. Are we people who used to live in the area? If so, we should know the area at least a little. Or how do you know the way to the drugstore down the street? Now how could this be portrayed ingame? Or were you just transported there? Um, makes no sense so far. But but...it's a game, no reason to make it realistice or at least believeable. Who needs maps or GPS anyway, just grab a gun and KoS, obviously this is what everyone would do in a Zombie Apocalypse. Who cares about navigation.

But, it's game.

Indeed good sir, it is. 

Games are meant to be fun, and play them the way you want. Everyone has the freedom to do what they like. For me, I didn't buy the game to be a hiking and wilderness simulator. I bought it for the sandbox interactions between people, zombies, and the whole survival idea. 

Like I said earlier, I did not feel like wandering the lands blindly for hours, days, whatever, until I get the map down in my head.

I never used it for loot locations, honestly, I figured they were incorrect anyways.Just to have that basic layout of the area, where the towns were ect. 

• Like 1

Because map pieces are so scarce, we are forced to use alt tabbing to view a map of the game thru a website. I have lost count of the times where I find a spot in a town and NO body is around.

I sit there for a few mins and then all of a sudden I alt tab to view the map and when I alt tab back into the game... there is a Zombie on me.

If you have a tablet or a smartphone...

If you have a tablet or a smartphone...

Believe it or not, not everyone has a brand-spanking new tablet/smartphone that wipes your ass for you as you play meaningless apps. : P I, for one, can't afford one.

No? 

As a realistic standpoint, no it shouldn't be a challenge. Even these days, (at least here in the US) there are about 100 maps at every gas station, of the towns, state, country, and there is a gas station pretty much every city block. Millions of maps everywhere. Way more maps than there probably would be survivors. Now compasses.. Those you do not see at every gas station or store. They would be far more rare you would think.

Making them in pieces does not make sense in either perspective. It is unrealistic, and game wise, it just deters people from even picking up the pieces and using the website map or app. 

Having a plain map isnt that big of a deal. You can see locations, roads, terrain, ect. You still have no idea is what at any of those places though when you are new. The only thing you know is where they are. You can still go in circles or get lost somewhat, unless you have compass as well.You still have to read signs (which is more like picture matching when you dont know Russian), find and follow roads, landmarks ect. 

I think they should have full maps, make them more rare than the pieces, and make the compass rare. I think that would be more difficult than now, and more realistic. Now you just find 30 compasses and once you have one you can easily navigate using a website map or app.

Believe it or not, not everyone has a brand-spanking new tablet/smartphone that wipes your ass for you as you play meaningless apps. : P I, for one, can't afford one.

You can get good smartphones for barely more than the cost of this stand alone these days! Most 6 year olds these days have their own now :(  

I've memorized a good portion of the map so for the most part I know where I am at where ever I may be. 

• Like 1

Lol you don't NEED to use the db map.  Learn the map yourself or risk dying when alt tabbed.  Or as others mentioned, use a second monitor or something.

I too own 2 monitors.

I did use dayzdb when i started playing but when clicking anything in the browser of the other monitor the game minimizes..

There are plenty of other games in which you are able to manage stuff in the 2nd screen without it closing/ toggle to desktop.

Would be great to see this working with dayz.

//doublepost - My cellphone is weird.

Edited by QbitzR

There is no need to alt+tab and if you don't want to use the Steam Overlay no need for that either.

Simply add -window to the launch parameters in Steam and it'll load the game in a sizeable window. Then the game is always up when you're in another prog.

Edited by Symbiont