Sign in to follow this  
Erikp3

Render Distance Issues

I recently realized how annoyingly short my the distance i can see things is in game. I was wondering if anyone else had found a fix for this.

Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLkeuKqlCZs&feature=youtu.be

(I searched for other threads related to my topic but only found ones related to players specifically.)

I would like to be able to have things render at least as far as they seem to when I zoom in but all the time. Zooming in should only well... Zoom me in. It really breaks immersion for me as well when everything immediately renders all of a sudden. I can't even see to the back of the air hangers when I scavenge at the air fields. I can't tell you how many times i've gone to the very backs of those things and found nothing of use.

Edited by Erikp3

Object render distance in your config, I think.

Will probably have a strong adverse effect on performance though.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

Object render distance in your config, I think.

Will probably have a strong adverse effect on performance though.

I did another check in my settings and figured out what was wrong. Thanks.

Edited by Erikp3

could you post your adjustments so this thread might be useful to others later on?

Just to clear that out, object render distance in the config, is the distance upon which you are able to see static map objects, npc`s and player models, rather than spawned loot items.

Would be interested in a way to raise the visibility of loot items myself!

I have this issue on my POS laptop but not the desktop.
I know my settings are very different between the 2 due to hardware differences & capabilities of said hardware.

Do these seem correct?  or am i looking in the wrong area?

sceneComplexity=150000;
shadowZDistance=200;
viewDistance=1100;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1100;
terrainGrid=32.5;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

I too am very interested in hearing any adjustments that can be made, where, and why (explained). What was your solution? This thread is not very useful at the moment.

If you want to do any kind of manual tweaking to the view distance/object rendering, theese are the values you need to change:

viewDistance=????;

preferredObjectViewDistance=????;

They are found in documents/DayZ or documents/DayZ Other Profiles, simply find the file that has your current in game name on it and start editing :)
Theres no "golden setting" it is very different from pc to pc, but its a knows place to improve FPS in the Arma games, and since we cannot edit in ingame in DayZ, you have to do it manually.

Now one is for the view distance (fog of war basicly) and the other is for object rendering, a general rule is to have the object distance between 2/3 and 3/3 or the view distance :)

So basicly, if you have crappy ass FPS, and you have tryed everything ingame, in the video settings, lower the values abit.
If you have good FPS and want to see how far your PC can take it, raise them :)

Simple as that hehe

Edited by Byrgesen

If you want to do any kind of manual tweaking to the view distance/object rendering, theese are the values you need to change:

viewDistance=????;

preferredObjectViewDistance=????;

They are found in documents/DayZ or documents/DayZ Other Profiles, simply find the file that has your current in game name on it and start editing :)

Theres no "golden setting" it is very different from pc to pc, but its a knows place to improve FPS in the Arma games, and since we cannot edit in ingame in DayZ, you have to do it manually.

Now one is for the view distance (fog of war basicly) and the other is for object rendering, a general rule is to have the object distance between 2/3 and 3/3 or the view distance :)

So basicly, if you have crappy ass FPS, and you have tryed everything ingame, in the video settings, lower the values abit.

If you have good FPS and want to see how far your PC can take it, raise them :)

Simple as that hehe

Yeah i had those settings at like 1800 & 1800.. moved them down to 1100 & 1100 on the crapple laptop to help with lag..

I've always had the issue of having to be Nearly on top of items for them to pop up.. UNLESS i use the Zoom Feature.. then stuff just pops up fine.  I would say my view distance for basic items on the ground ect.  is about 5-10 feet.  Roughly 1-2 dead bodies length. :P

All settings are pretty much LOW or VERY LOW and.. Disabled. :(

My desktop that runs 2000 & 2000 doesn't have this issue.

Crapple Laptop

viewDistance=1100;

Yeah i had those settings at like 1800 & 1800.. moved them down to 1100 & 1100 on the crapple laptop to help with lag..

I've always had the issue of having to be Nearly on top of items for them to pop up.. UNLESS i use the Zoom Feature.. then stuff just pops up fine.  I would say my view distance for basic items on the ground ect.  is about 5-10 feet.  Roughly 1-2 dead bodies length. :P

All settings are pretty much LOW or VERY LOW and.. Disabled. :(

My desktop that runs 2000 & 2000 doesn't have this issue.

Crapple Laptop

viewDistance=1100;

Well, if you dont have a decent CPU, theres really not much to do about it mate :(

Im sorry but the RV engine cant get enough CPU, it just loves it and wants more and more and more.

Ive tryed DayZ on my laptop and its barely doable with a i3 processer (3rd gen), its just not enough tbh, the game wants more juice hehe

Although you might benefit from tweaking the object quality ingame, cant promise anything though :)

Edited by Byrgesen

could you post your adjustments so this thread might be useful to others later on?

Here ya go: http://youtu.be/N8t_y0wDFnk

I set view distance and preferred object view distance both to 2400. I honestly didn't realize that these changes would be all that helpful. The important ones to make sure you change are the items under the quality tab. You don't need terrain higher than normal but you should have objects somewhere high, otherwise you just end up with things disappearing 5 meters away from you. Like on my original post. 

(The Video Basically has how i tweaked all my video settings. I personally find a shallow DOF and motion blur really annoying while playing.)

P.S. I have an Intel i7 Processor, about 8GBs of RAM and i have no idea what kind if any I have for my video card. I'm not on a laptop so I can't really assist you guys who are on those much at all.

Edited by Erikp3

what the... this thread was about the view distance of LOOT ITEMS, not static map objects!

Or am i missing something? Because on my game preferredObjectViewDistance= has no influence on the range of Loot Items being displayed.

If you take a look at the Video OP posted, you would see that his static objects are displayed way farther than the loot items in question, so its not really the same setting is it?

So to repeat the initial question and come back to topic: How do you adjust the range of loot items being rendered?

PreferredObjectViewDistance= has no influence on that, at least not on my game.

Edited by SprStnd

what the... this thread was about the view distance of LOOT ITEMS, not static map objects!

Or am i missing something? Because on my game preferredObjectViewDistance= has no influence on the range of Loot Items being displayed.

If you take a look at the Video OP posted, you would see that his static objects are displayed way farther than the loot items in question, so its not really the same setting is it?

So to repeat the initial question and come back to topic: How do you adjust the range of loot items being rendered?

PreferredObjectViewDistance= has no influence on that, at least not on my game.

Just look at the second video i posted. Go to Configure>Video>Quality>Objects. Set that to something like very high or high