Randy_Pie

two simple KOS resolutions

A very simple way to decrease the KOS rates in this game.

If you kill someone you have a 1 in 10 chance to die, fall unconcious, or become deadly sick yourself - Or a 1 in 5 chance to lose all or some of your stuff. Something like this. - That way even all the 13 year old wannabe-gangsters will think twice befor killing random people.
Or implement something like a "bad-luck" system. - The more people you kill the more bad-luck you'll have - like when running, you can trip and sprain your ankle, break your hand, or cut yourself, or having many weapon jammings, randomly lose stuff from your backpack, something like this. - The bad-luck value decreases constantly but slowly and faster if you help people, like bandaging their wounds.

I also like the other suggestions on that topic, like some sort of mental sanity system. But someone has to define right and wrong in such a system, which I think shouldn't be up to the developers.

ps: I think it's sad we even have to think about stuff like this...

edit: Also, I forgot to mention, I don't want such a system to be on every server. And if a server adds something like this, you shouldn't be able to keep your gear if you switch between servers.

Edited by Randy_Pie

No. No. No. And no.

So what will happen when you have met 20 people who shot at you, so you killed them in self-defence? 

And I really don't like the idea of randomly dying because I shot someone. Or losing all my stuff, its pointless and unrealistic.

• Like 3

...it's also unrealistic to walk around the zombie-apocalypse, killing random people...

...it's also unrealistic to walk around the zombie-apocalypse, killing random people...

Really bad argument and besides the point. This game is set in a fictional zombie apocalypse, but everything else is supposed to be as real as possible. And you just dying randomly for shooting someone is not very realistic. Nor is having bad luck. (or any luck for that matter). Do yourself a favor and just let this thread die really quickly. 

Not to be a dick, but your idea is really really bad and will never EVER happen. I'd give you all the money I have in the bank right now if this or anything similar was ever implemented.

Edited by phoboss

What the problem is at the moment is there isn't enough Zombies that people feel the need to shoot at, there's like five zeds per town there's no real reason to even have guns atm, but I'm not complaining about there not being enough zeds because I know that the team are working hard as fuck to get more into the game! Just chill out it will all be sorted, these sort of ideas have sprung out so much I'm sick and tired of people complaining about it, it's common sense, it will be sorted.

I don't think it will be implementet either. - Its only a suggestion for an issue that clearly needs to be resolved.
I also know this game is far from being even a beta, and maybe people will understand the real purpose of this game, once there will be more zombies... But, I didn't play the DayZmod, still - from videos, I know there were much more agressive zombies, and all people did was killing each other...

i really don't like that idea... it's totally random. Just hide if you see someone you are afraid of. And plan your movement, don't walk on streets and that stuff. I didn't get KOS in the SA yet, just because i know how to move. I got killed at Airfields and stuff, but thats just normal (:

But one suggestion i have. Implement a System similiar to the DayZ Origins Mod. So you get a feeling who is likely to KOS (just by the way he looks) and you get rewarded for being a "Hero".

There should also be benefits for being a Bandit though.

Also, I forgot to mention, I don't want such a system to be on every server. And if a server adds something like this, you shouldn't be able to keep your gear if you switch between servers.
(also added to the initial post)

Edited by Randy_Pie

@VCTRious, I didn't know there was such a system in the mod... but it sounds good. So, if you kill a hero, or a nobody, you'll become a bandit, and if you kill a bandid you'll become a hero!?

Edited by Randy_Pie

No. Humanity. System.

No. No. No.

That is the last shit this game needs.

Can you explain why you don't like it?

I for myself think this system worked very good on the Mod.

@Randy_Pie: Yes, like that. If you become a Bandit you start looking more "dangerous" and if you become a Hero you start looking more friendly. The System is called Humanity. If you give blood to somebody or bandage him your humanity goes up. If you kill somebody who is a hero/normal person your humanity goes down and so on. It had no impact on "skills" or anything. Its just "cosmetic" if you want so. And this humanity-lvl stayed even if you die.

I did like this very much, but i don't think they will implement something like that. And there are other ways to deal with the KOS thing (:

Also, I forgot to mention, I don't want such a system to be on every server. And if a server adds something like this, you shouldn't be able to keep your gear if you switch between servers.

(also added to the initial post)

Why should they pay for empty servers?

Nobody would play on a server where there's a chance of dying after killing someone.

@Randy_Pie: Yes, like that. If you become a Bandit you start looking more "dangerous" and if you become a Hero you start looking more friendly. The System is called Humanity. If you give blood to somebody or bandage him your humanity goes up. If you kill somebody who is a hero/normal person your humanity goes down and so on. It had no impact on "skills" or anything. Its just "cosmetic" if you want so. And this humanity-lvl stayed even if you die.

I did like this very much, but i don't think they will implement something like that. And there are other ways to deal with the KOS thing (:

Because there is no connection to real life. In real life you can't see from 400m away if I'm a "bad guy" or not. Sure you could argue that everybody has a conscience, and that should be reflected in the game. The thing is, you're trying to fix two things with one solution and that just wont work. Banditry and KoS are not the same thing. Thus can't be fixed with a conscience/sanity system. (besides banditry doesn't need "fixing"). 

Is KoS totally unrealistic and a problem in the game? Yes absolutely!

Can it be fixed by implementing a feature that punishes or rewards a certain playstyle (hero/bandit system)? No it can't.

Edited by phoboss

If you kill someone you have a 1 in 10 chance to die, fall unconcious, or become deadly sick yourself - Or a 1 in 5 chance to lose all or some of your stuff. Something like this.

Quite possibly two of the worst suggestions I have ever read on this forum. Come on. What possible explanation are you going to offer people as to why they just randomly drop dead after combat? What happens when someone shoots at me, misses, and I return fire and kill them. Now I'm "deadly sick" because I'm a better shot?

I mean, I don't even know why I'm asking you questions as if these are real suggestions.

Welcome to DayZ and the forums; I suggest you spend a month or two getting familiar with the game before you make any more Suggestions posts.

• Like 1

What if somebody shoots at you, you shoot back and kill them. I don't see why you should be punished for simply retaliating to an attempting KOS. Considering that many focus on the realism of the game, having some kind of luck system (Shoot somebody with a chance you'll die) wouldn't prove realistic.

Not really. In a situation where weapons, ammo, food and shelter becomes scarce and all while the undead roam the land looking for new food (you), people would be very willing to kill others - even at random. Anything to keep themselves surviving.

Because the sytem was extremely flawed.

If I shot people I wouldn't think "Hey, I should wrap this fucking towel around my head" or "Hey, I should wear this baby blue plaid shirt".

It shouldn't effect how you look WHATSOEVER. Plus it just was broken for the players that needed to kill to survive (i.e. self defence)

No! What sense does this make? This game is suppose to be how you would be in real life, so if i killed someone, i wouldnt die or drop my stuff in real life. Bad suggestion, i hope it dont happen.

Nothing is ever going to fully stop KOS. It is as much a part of the DayZ universe as Zombies. While I do not agree with KOS Babies, I understand why one would KOS others that are caring firearms. For now, it's the only thing that keeps the tension high in this game.

I am all for respecting everyones ideas and beliefs and I am always willing to give people a chance.

On that note, FUCK NO.