thedogfoodyayho

Base Building - What would you like to see?

Although we know base building is coming, there isn't any info on what exactly they're doing for it.

Personally, i'de like to see boarding up houses being the main thing. 

So you could board up a cabin, and once you do that no loot/zombies will spawn in/around it. In addition you could put a small amoung off loot in/on the cupboards, tables, dressers, ect.not a ton of loot though. If you want more space you can set up some crates or something.

However the only way to lock it would be to board it up from the inside, or you could lock people in by blocking the door from the outside. 

The only way to get in a door boarded from the other side is 15 minutes of axeing it or explosives.

For those who don't want that, good old fashioned tents, but with a twist: civilian camping tents.

No more surplus camo tents, this time, white, orange, blue, red, ect. An extremely rare military tent could also be found.

And now, you should be able to burn the tent (abd all it's gear) down with matches. 

For higher-level, maybe some wooden fences, a small shed-type thing, ect. But that stuff would take weeks to build.

And no stashing vehicles/tents in the debug plains!

Anyone elses thoughts?

Edited by thedogfoodyayho
  • Like 5

I'd like at the very least a sheet metal wall and some sort of storage. That can't be too much to ask, can it?

Underground shelters with hidden entry ways in the mountains, covered with surrounding twigs/dirt/etc. Or at least being able to dig yourself a spider hole big enough to disappear for a bit. Might stave off some combat logging, giving the user a real-world and more tactical option to escape/evasion.

Underground shelters with hidden entry ways in the mountains, covered with surrounding twigs/dirt/etc. Or at least being able to dig yourself a spider hole big enough to disappear for a bit. Might stave off some combat logging, giving the user a real-world and more tactical option to escape/evasion.

Awsome but not really possible/extremely hard to code.

It sounds like you want to be able to homestead which sounds pretty interesting. Being a bowhunter myself I'd be keen on seeing pack-able tree-stands introduced which could be used for hunting as well as in an observation post role.

i just want a lockable shed so i can place it near spawn locations but hidden away. but have it so you got to do maintenance on it or it collapses. but if they go full building i hope they go to the way of origin.

Epoch+Rust mechanics

All is invented, just add it)

Please no epoch-style building, those huge walls made of many small walls just look ridiculous. I like the idea of boarding up houses/sheds though.

• Like 4

Awsome but not really possible/extremely hard to code.

I believe I remember them saying at some point they want to do underground building actually. Might not be to the extent Radunas is hoping for though.

To the topic though, I would like to build up in the trees.. Treehouses i guess. I recall from the mod that you can bash trees with a vehicle and knock them over so theres a danger in having a hut in a tree. Still would be pretty awesome.. Gather lumber, chop down other trees to build it and such.

I believe I remember them saying at some point they want to do underground building actually. Might not be to the extent Radunas is hoping for though.

To the topic though, I would like to build up in the trees.. Treehouses i guess. I recall from the mod that you can bash trees with a vehicle and knock them over so theres a danger in having a hut in a tree. Still would be pretty awesome.. Gather lumber, chop down other trees to build it and such.

My first idea was of wooden boards that you could use to board up windows and doors like the original poster said , this should be level one "building". Higher level building would be mining caves / constructing tree huts or mud huts. The last level that would be put in the game last I assume , would be to build a full blown cabin , but they NEED to be destructible by fire/ axes so people don't plague servers with a bunch of structures . and the bigger structures would be built in complex stages with many materials involved, maybe you'd also have to level the ground so your structure doesn't topple haha I know the devs aren't going to settle for anything simple .( which Is a good thing , we don't want epoch OR origins style building in my opinion). And lastly we need locks like pad locks or just a gate that can be built that is already locked , maybe an upgrade system to doors/ gates that gives them locks after a certain amount of upgrades.

Booby traps? Placed around your tent/base. Could be just digging a hole in the ground and cover it with sticks(already in the game) and leaves. Bear traps? Could also catch animals for food

If they ever do allow to build stuff, it better make a ton of noise and draw a lot of attention.

Edited by JubeiDOK

To add, what I would like to see done to compliment base building is make it so you cant log out next to a base, log in another server and move 10 feet over. Log out and back into my server and be inside my base.. Fix this.

• Like 2

Bear traps. Barbed Wire. Tents. Campfire. It's all I need!

>.> How is base building going to be persistent after server restarts though? Private hives or something?

Edited by Rudette

Honestly, the most I would like to see is boarding up windows and doors.

Edited by ChekovP

Sandbags you could fill with a shovel would be nice.

• Like 1

I wanted to see it be able to happen from scratch, with the bare minimum of retarded Minecraft-style "recipes", and minimal menu interaction required to craft-- you make things in first person, for better realism.
You get the option to gather rocks from the ground in any rocky area, and sticks from the ground anywhere beneath trees, and long grass in grassy areas. Rock, stick and grass, when combined over a brief time period [in the menu, yes], make an improvised axe. With that axe, or with a real axe, or with a chainsaw, you can go into the woods and chop down a tree or smash up some furniture inside a house. 

Chopping the tree will drop 2 large Timber Pole items [and make the tree a stump until items respawn], too tall for your backpack, about the height of the player which can be carried in the hands only. Further bashing this with your axe/chainsaw reduces it into 8 Planks [which are also yielded from breaking furniture], which do fit inside a large backpack, stack in twos and are about a metre long and 25 centimetres wide each, taking up 2 inventory slots by 6. Bashing these planks even more break them down into Firewood chocks, which take up a single inventory slot.
Planks are very versatile, and can be thrown into a Barricade of 8 planks by inserting them into the ground, or can be nailed to doors on buildings with a hammer to board them up and render them unopenable. These Barricades can be used to shut off an entire street block. You can also carry and then place down Timber poles horizontally or vertically on solid ground or on other Timber Poles or Planks to form a nice big log cabin with the criss crossy edges, or a tall tower.
Using a Hacksaw will neatly cut Timber and Planks in half as you require vertically or horizontally, giving you 1/2 Timber Poles, Beams, 1/2 Planks, and Stakes.

Doors/Gates can also be formed with gathered-grass, or rope, hinges which affix Planks to a vertical Plank or Timber Pole.
There would be a fair few logistics to work out with this method, such as restricting players from building mile high towers, detecting how a log cabin was fully enclosed and therefore warmer, and the issue of destruction of constructions, but it would mostly be the best method in terms of realism [rather than simply combining "Wood Logs" in your inventory to instantly put down a House item.]
From there, we could also get Signposts and dig Pits or Ponds on grassy/dirty ground which fill with rainwater when it rains. Players could capture wandering domestic animals such as cattle or beavers [pretty sure Eurasia has beavers] and fence them in a grassy enclosure to farm them for food, and the rainwater you get from your Pits or Ponds would allow players to become mostly self-sufficient [depending on the weather]. Also crossbars to "lock" doors from the inside.

I would like to see anything that can keep my stuff safe from everything. An invincible hidden storage facility.

I would be fine with having to gather things in order to craft such a hidden base. Like first start with tents that can be found, looted, destroyed, but if they are not found/looted/destroy, you can use your tent to store and gather stronger materials for say a wooded shed which is harder to be found, looted, destroyed, Then with the wooden shed you can build find and safely store materials for a concrete bunker that would more difficult to be found, looted, destroyed (painted, planted trees around it, etc...), Even if the bunker has to be underground. A tent should be a very rare find, the materials for a shed will fit in a tent and should be rare enough to make several play session a necessity, and so on and so forth.

Anything like that would be awesome in my opinion. Not that any other ideas would be worse, but that's kind of how I would like to see it progress.

Maybe, instead of building a house/camp/base somewhere out there in danger. Why not the dev make a city which is a safe zone (no one can shot you) and in this city we can sell stuff we found out there in a shop. With the money we have, we can buy a room, house depends on how much in-game money we have so that we can make it as our safe house. Since we already have town scatter all over the map. 

Edited by mareak
  • Like 1

Maybe, instead of building a house/camp/base somewhere out there in danger. Why not the dev make a city which is a safe zone (no one can shot you) and in this city we can sell stuff we found out there in a shop. With the money we have, we can buy a room, house depends on how much in-game money we have so that we can make it as our safe house. Since we already have town scatter all over the map. 

No. No safezone. Society has collapsed.

And invincible locked storage? That was the worst fucking thing epoch ever added. Every retard had 20 safes sitting in the middle of a field. What is the point of invincible storage? Its not invincible IRL... a safe can be pried, cut, or blown open, "lockboxes" are more shitty than that.

It should be up to you to hide your gear. Thats right, no putting your invincible safe at elektro with 50 M4s inside. Hide it up north, in a house, in a tree... and if it is found, anyone can get in/destroy it.

I would be ok with a small hotel safe. It would be weak, able to be opened with a crowbar or explosives (damages contents) and VERY small. About the size of an assault vest. In addition it would be so small someone could pick it up and carry it away.

• Like 1

UNDERGROUND construction for clan bases.  Not griefable.

Way too many asshats in the Epoch mod would run around at 3am just blowing shit up.  For all of you that like to use the "reality" argument so much........you would have people DEFENDING your base 24/7 all the time, you would NOT leave your base (and your loot) undefended.  Someone would not be able to just walk up to it at 3am and blow everything up.

For above ground construction I'd like to see LIMITED "fortify for PVP" construction that goes away after a server restart.