LMKa

Bohemia interactive PLEASE READ

I have registered here for only one reason -  to share my thoughts about what should be done next.

We all know how marketing and greed affected the game industry and how we get railroad Call of Duty style games

which are fairly easy to develop but which does not contain anything new and are worthless from the ART point of view.

Big companies now are completely blind and do not know what the actual gamer wants and also too afraid to take risks.

They have huge marketing departments which is the main game industry decease.

Games first of all are states of ART! Like poetry and novels evolutioned in music and movies , the last now evolutioned

into games. An interactive stories where you are the main character.

The problem is that ART cannot be measured by bunch of people and they cannot predict what is going to be forgotten

and what is going to take it's place in human hearts. However, having no real choice people still buy games which are

crappy because they do not have any alternatives and marketing guys think that they have done their job right

and this circle goes on and on. The fact that DayZ Standalone in it's poor condition still hit the skies with it's sales

is the confirmation of how hard people are starving for something of a good quality.

Another side of story is that there are just too many games where you are the main character of a story which was already

written for you and sadly scenarist can't really invent anything fairly new because all the good scenarios their imagination 

could create were already written by them and they can't just go on and create 1,2,3...10 games of the same IP with the

same level of quality.

DayZ Standalone on the other hand gives you an opportunity to be the writer of your own story and that's the main point

I guess. You don't know what is going to happen and that's why it is interesting. You are not on the railroad and you have

all the ingridients to go on a one-time journey where you both the main character and storyteller and it feels really... alive

and it's the reason of DayZ success.

Taking this into consideration we have to understand that it is very hard to put all your imagination into one game and properly

implement it. Bohemia interactive is not Rockstar or Valve and it does not have so many resources and... believe me Dayz fans

nderstand it and accept DayZ in such poor quality only because they understand it. They would have never accepted

the game on such early stage released by Rockstar&Valve, people would have burried them but Bohemia's Dayz is not the case.

People gave Bohemia and Dean Hall their trust and putted their hopes into DayZ Standalone which is the pure state of

Art. They've invested their money not into the game but into their own dreams hoping that one day they could create a perfect

story out of the sketch Bohemia Interactive gave them and that's the step where my suggestion starts.

Please, I am asking you Bohemia Interactive management, please invest a huge part of money you've got from sales

into development and at least double or even triple the team which currently works on DayZ game. It is absolutely

clear now that this game cannot be finished in a timely manner by the same amount of people which currently work on it.

There are just too much work to be done and too many things which should be redone from scratch and that obvious even to me.

If the same amount of people continue work on this game it will fade in history sooner than you expect. I hope you do understand

that such companies as Valve never miss the oportunity so be aware that they made their outcomes from the level of

sales DayZ hit even in Alpha stage. They saw that there is a huge demand for such type of games on the market and I bet they can

achieve the same level of development in which Dayz currently is in a 1 year if not less including map-design from scratch.

You now have money and choice to finally make it right and hire a lot of people to finish this game in time and take place

in world gaming history as the example of the classic art and not as the unfinished modern design example.

Dayz is the Bohemia key to success. You will never get that level of sales with Arma series and that's your only chance in

history.

I know that being inside you understand everything much better but from the outside I see that Bohemia has wonderful level

designers and artists but awful internal code&engine which must be redone. You have to either change the game engine completely

or finally take risk  and hire the professionals which can properly rewrite it because right now it's performance is on the unspeakable level

and small code optimizations won't help. There is a huge disaster in this area and you have to stop ignoring it.

(Take into consideration that I have i7 4770k&GTX 770).

Imagine Mona Lisa in Alpha stage when it was just a black&white sketch - that's where you are now! and if you won't get help

from the outside your Mona Lisa will end up being redone by someone else.

You have a chance! I hope all the trust we gave you won't be for nothing.

Edited by LMKa
  • Like 10

I hope also they put big invest from sales and maybe hire some more pro coders for assist ;)

• Like 2

I too, really hope, that DayZ will flourish and grow, and eventually become the magnificent and majestic beast it deserves to be.

Key is for developers to collaboreate with the fans, and invest more into the game(development)

Edited by XA3

Bohemias key to success is VBS3 not dayz.

The amount of money they made from Dayz is tiny compared to what they do from selling virtual mil sims to the Armies of the world.

• Like 5

I do agree with the whole "make your own story thing" as well as hirering new devs, in my opinion they should hire specificly from the modding community.

Are you familiar with Brooks Law which basically says that getting more staff resources to work on a project willy nilly does not mean speeding up or improving the project beyond a certain point? More people means more management, more second guessing, more duplication and inefficiency. Hiring has to be done very carefully and only get the right people to do specific things that the team requires. Sometimes the best products come from very small teams with a pure vision. Software development always takes time and I think people with experience in the field would be feeling pretty good about where DayZ standalone is right now.

• Like 5

Are you familiar with Brooks Law which basically says that getting more staff resources to work on a project willy nilly does not mean speeding up or improving the project beyond a certain point? More people means more management, more second guessing, more duplication and inefficiency. Hiring has to be done very carefully and only get the right people to do specific things that the team requires. Sometimes the best products come from very small teams with a pure vision. Software development always takes time and I think people with experience in the field would be feeling pretty good about where DayZ standalone is right now.

Case in point, Silent Hunter 3 GWX 3.0 Gold. Silent Hunter 3. Good submarine simulator. GWX 3.0 Gold? The game goes from being a good submarien simulator to a OH MY GOD, I'M THE SKIPPER OF A GERMAN U-BOAT! game. And the guys who worked on the Grey Wolves expantion...were just a bunch of modders. No on got paid to do it. Modders are often as good, if not better, than the makers of a game...IF they are allowed the tools to make a game better.

Edit- Just to add in a newer game, take a look at Kerbal Space Program. ALOT of the original modders of the game...are now developers of the game.

Edited by Illusive Tabby

Laws are made to be broken.

I have registered here for only one reason -  to share my thoughts about what should be done next.

We all know how marketing and greed affected the game industry and how we get railroad Call of Duty style games

which are fairly easy to develop but which does not contain anything new and are worthless from the ART point of view.

Big companies now are completely blind and do not know what the actual gamer wants and also too afraid to take risks.

They have huge marketing departments which is the main game industry decease.

Games first of all are states of ART! Like poetry and novels evolutioned in music and movies , the last now evolutioned

into games. An interactive stories where you are the main character.

The problem is that ART cannot be measured by bunch of people and they cannot predict what is going to be forgotten

and what is going to take it's place in human hearts. However, having no real choice people still buy games which are

crappy because they do not have any alternatives and marketing guys think that they have done their job right

and this circle goes on and on. The fact that DayZ Standalone in it's poor condition still hit the skies with it's sales

is the confirmation of how hard people are starving for something of a good quality.

Another side of story is that there are just too many games where you are the main character of a story which was already

written for you and sadly scenarist can't really invent anything fairly new because all the good scenarios their imagination 

could create were already written by them and they can't just go on and create 1,2,3...10 games of the same IP with the

same level of quality.

DayZ Standalone on the other hand gives you an opportunity to be the writer of your own story and that's the main point

I guess. You don't know what is going to happen and that's why it is interesting. You are not on the railroad and you have

all the ingridients to go on a one-time journey where you both the main character and storyteller and it feels really... alive

and it's the reason of DayZ success.

Taking this into consideration we have to understand that it is very hard to put all your imagination into one game and properly

implement it. Bohemia interactive is not Rockstar or Valve and it does not have so many resources and... believe me Dayz fans

nderstand it and accept DayZ in such poor quality only because they understand it. They would have never accepted

the game on such early stage released by Rockstar&Valve, people would have burried them but Bohemia's Dayz is not the case.

People gave Bohemia and Dean Hall their trust and putted their hopes into DayZ Standalone which is the pure state of

Art. They've invested their money not into the game but into their own dreams hoping that one day they could create a perfect

story out of the sketch Bohemia Interactive gave them and that's the step where my suggestion starts.

Please, I am asking you Bohemia Interactive management, please invest a huge part of money you've got from sales

into development and at least double or even triple the team which currently works on DayZ game. It is absolutely

clear now that this game cannot be finished in a timely manner by the same amount of people which currently work on it.

There are just too much work to be done and too many things which should be redone from scratch and that obvious even to me.

If the same amount of people continue work on this game it will fade in history sooner than you expect. I hope you do understand

that such companies as Valve never miss the oportunity so be aware that they made their outcomes from the level of

sales DayZ hit even in Alpha stage. They saw that there is a huge demand for such type of games on the market and I bet they can

achieve the same level of development in which Dayz currently is in a 1 year if not less including map-design from scratch.

You now have money and choice to finally make it right and hire a lot of people to finish this game in time and take place

in world gaming history as the example of the classic art and not as the unfinished modern design example.

Dayz is the Bohemia key to success. You will never get that level of sales with Arma series and that's your only chance in

history.

I know that being inside you understand everything much better but from the outside I see that Bohemia has wonderful level

designers and artists but awful internal code&engine which must be redone. You have to either change the game engine completely

or finally take risk  and hire the professionals which can properly rewrite it because right now it's performance is on the unspeakable level

and small code optimizations won't help. There is a huge disaster in this area and you have to stop ignoring it.

(Take into consideration that I have i7 4770k&GTX 770).

Imagine Mona Lisa in Alpha stage when it was just a black&white sketch - that's where you are now! and if you won't get help

from the outside your Mona Lisa will end up being redone by someone else.

You have a chance! I hope all the trust we gave you won't be for nothing.

This

Are you familiar with Brooks Law which basically says that getting more staff resources to work on a project willy nilly does not mean speeding up or improving the project beyond a certain point?

From Wikipedia: According to Brooks himself, the law is an "outrageous oversimplification."

Yes, it's true that you can't make a project go faster just by throwing money and people at it, but it's ridiculous to suggest that the DayZ team shouldn't grow under the circumstances. DayZ is not a free-to-play iPhone game. It needs more than a half-dozen people to see it through to the end. I really do hope they hire.

The problem with DayZ (IMO) is even though it is being developed by BI it still feels like an indie game, it seems that development is moving at a very slow pace and major features are a long way off, it seems to me that they need to hire more people to help with the huge task at hand.

it's ridiculous to suggest that the DayZ team shouldn't grow under the circumstances.

OH WHOOPS I must have slipped and typed they should never hire a single person by mistake, sorry!

Good ol' internest.

I wonder why People think that art assets have to be redone from scratch. I guess since the bohemia titels share the same Arma engine you can port over alot of functionality ect.

What we see for now is typical Alpha. I have worked for a games Publisher and trust me when i say ist even a really good Alpha at that. You wont belive what things i had to endure.... :rolleyes:

Software Development takes TIME. Testing changes in netcode takes time.

Ist fortunate that there are so many People feeding the System data through playing.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

I hope DayZ will become something special. It's been so long since I have played a game that's is interesting and new. An example is 'EA'. I loved sim city and the sims. Out came 'Sim city societies' (was so much hype) for 40 pound and I bought it >< Played it for 2 hours and was so disappointed (was a simplified version of the game type with new graphics). Also used to play need for speed, but felt it was the same stuff churned out again and again. Along with other issues the faceless company had (and a dispute I won after some effort), I felt it was time to stop buying their game (also hear the latest sim city had its problems). I see so many games that are just clones of other game and haven't felt the need or want to buy all but a very few games made today (Diablo 3 was another hyped fail). May Elder scroll games cuss of its Modder (excluding ESO) and civilisation games.

Also do think they need to speed up things now (and before someone like 'EA' publish a cheap hyped version that kills the interest of this type of game). Don't know how, and progress is reasonable (imo), but as motioned above another company could just move in on the ideas and beat Dazy to the punch, now that the community has show its interest in the Dazy concept.

Where do you get the idea that the dev team consists of 4 men, a tea lady and a work experience kid?

The dev team has grown and BI haven't placed the Dev Team in a broom closet beside the Arma 3 team you know.

Laws are made to be broken.

Not this one... You just can't speed up the process in the way people expect, just because there is a better cashflow. 

my biggest worry is that too much is imported from ArmA. What works for a functional milsim, doesnt necessarily work for a atmospheric post-apocalypse survival game. With proper budget, more things are possible. I'd rather have them take time to do things properly.

i love this game, and i will play it with all the many current flaws. but in my heart, i would love to see it achieve its full potential.

I find it interesting that Rocket clearly stated that he advised only those prepared to wait a long time for the full and finished game, and that if your not prepared to play a very early stage development then dont buy it. His words, not mine. So why is everyone expecting it to ve finished now with more 'this' and 'fix that right now' , alot of you need to pay attention to what your saying imho. Nuff said, and beans are disgusting ;) BEEF SOUP

Where do you get the idea that the dev team consists of 4 men, a tea lady and a work experience kid?

The dev team has grown and BI haven't placed the Dev Team in a broom closet beside the Arma 3 team you know.

I guess the idea comes from development times.

Since not many on this forum appear to have ever coded anything in their life, they would never understand how difficult it can be to fix a bug that can not be readily reproduced on command.  Many underestimate the sheer complexity of what goes into video game production.

• Like 1

OP

Do you know how insulting your letter is? lol 

It's like a kid telling a teacher how to teach bro.

Don't you think they know they need more help in everything? New upcoming businessman like Dean aren't going to put they're money in a savings and wait for the yearly interests. They're young and hungry, they're going to try to make whatever they have the best they can with the best of there resources.