Roshi (DayZ)

Inventory space - same capacity but 4x number of squares

QStRYCq.jpg

The idea is to have the backpack and other containers divided into smaller squares, allowing odd shaped items to be not just take up a larger rectangle, and to allow for really small items (e.g. batteries, keys) to take up less space than currently is the case. 

Also means that if you are stowing a firearm in your backpack then addons and magazines take up extra space around the weapon so you have the option to remove these and put them elsewhere in your inventory to allow more flexibility. Removing stocks (or folding stocks as suggested here by Tedyuotube: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164282-suggest-an-item-thread/) would allow you more space also.

EDIT: Note the ACOG scope, MAGPUL buttstock and can opener which I've mucked with to attempt to show what I mean.

EDIT: Oh yeah - as someone suggested in a previous thread (sorry can't remember so can't give credit!) asymmetrical items should be rotatable through 90 degree intervals (like in tetris) to allow you to fit them in.

PS apologies to the person who's image I have adjusted - just grabbed a random inventory screen of the web to modify.

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 17

Also for vests that are designed as magazine carriers, separate the pockets into separate spaces so that you can't fit a pistol or medkit in there. Vests should have variety that makes you choose one over the other (e.g. knife sheathes, or holsters as well as pockets, etc).

Current:

WTV5b3V.jpg

Separate pockets:

7UXvrJk.jpg

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 7

I agree that clothing could be more then this is big new and green so its the best. I'd like to see not just the correct use of magazine pouches(which could easily be implemented by  restricting items that can be placed within to 1 slot wide) but also see the use of moly webbing bags on vest and backpacks to make a custom fit solutions for additional items.

• Like 2

I agree that clothing could be more then this is big new and green so its the best. I'd like to see not just the correct use of magazine pouches(which could easily be implemented by  restricting items that can be placed within to 1 slot wide) but also see the use of moly webbing bags on vest and backpacks to make a custom fit solutions for additional items.

Like the moly webbing idea for sure. How would that look in the inventory screen to you think?

depends on how they would want to implement them, but I imagine it would show as an additional slot set directly below the item its attached to. they could set it to be used instead, or in addition to the current vest slots on some military vest. and the molly bags could come in different sizes and designed for different uses (ammo carrier, regular storage, plate(armor) carrier, etc.) as in real life

the beauty of molly bags is they basically work like lego so they'd be easy to understand and the design could be brought as little or as far as the devs want to take it. for example they could start just by making a small and large molly bag that you could attach to certain vest and bags

it adds another level of modularity/customization that could make you think a little harder about your clothing options

• Like 1

Good idea. For now 9V Alkaline battery takes same space as can of beans.  :D

You must really like Tetris! While it looks good, all your idea really does is take away inventory space by ramping up the complexity within the inventory. Easy for people to do, but you've got to remember that the server will be doing this for every player when you pick up items as well and the computational complexity is going to ramp up very quickly.

Neutral on the idea, doubt it is parctical to code for.

You must really like Tetris! While it looks good, all your idea really does is take away inventory space by ramping up the complexity within the inventory. Easy for people to do, but you've got to remember that the server will be doing this for every player when you pick up items as well and the computational complexity is going to ramp up very quickly.

Neutral on the idea, doubt it is parctical to code for.

Tetris - the game of kings...

I'm not sure how this takes away inventory space - could you elaborate further? Do you mean because there will be more little free squares with odd shaped items? 

Also, while I'm not a computer guy, I wonder how much extra computational this would take up in comparison to the other processes the game is performing. Anyone else want to comment on this?

Ta

I don't feel like playing Tetris in DayZ.

• Like 2

Rotating items is not my idea but I like it a lot. Inventory management is going to become a much bigger deal as more item variety comes in to play, and having more options for managing your kit is a bonus in my view.

This sounds like a good idea and all, but I have enough trouble organizing items to allow more storage as it is. Just looking at that picture is driving my OCD insane.

Tetris - the game of kings...

I'm not sure how this takes away inventory space - could you elaborate further? Do you mean because there will be more little free squares with odd shaped items? 

Also, while I'm not a computer guy, I wonder how much extra computational this would take up in comparison to the other processes the game is performing. Anyone else want to comment on this?

Ta

Exactly. Those little squares that can't be filled meaning you'll have space you can't consolidate to be useful.

To the computational side, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packing_problem. To summarise and over-simplify all that so I don't full geek on you, There is no shortcut to finding a packing that will work without trying every single packing possible. Not a problem when you have an empty inventory, but as it gets successively filled, the problem becomes more computationally expensive.

And specifically, to quote the linked Wiki entry:

Packing of irregular objects

Packing of irregular objects is a problem not lending itself well to closed form solutions; however, the applicability to practical environmental science is quite important. For example, irregularly shaped soil particles pack differently as the sizes and shapes vary, leading to important outcomes for plant species to adapt root formations and to allow water movement in the soil.[20]

As an aside, it it usually a problem given to first year programmer who think they are all that, as a not so gentle reminder that not everything is easier by computer. Also, it is similar to various scheduling problems.

Sorry, looks like I went full geek anyway.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

I wouldn't mind having to store things in specific holders, but more squares and asymmetrical items.. no thanks. One of the least fun aspects of the game is the "tetris" of moving items around so they fit.

At least give me an "auto-sort" feature that places everything together for me.

Exactly. Those little squares that can't be filled meaning you'll have space you can't consolidate to be useful.

To the computational side, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packing_problem. To summarise and over-simplify all that so I don't full geek on you, There is no shortcut to finding a packing that will work without trying every single packing possible. Not a problem when you have an empty inventory, but as it gets successively filled, the problem becomes more computationally expensive.

And specifically, to quote the linked Wiki entry:

As an aside, it it usually a problem given to first year programmer who think they are all that, as a not so gentle reminder that not everything is easier by computer. Also, it is similar to various scheduling problems.

Sorry, looks like I went full geek anyway.

Ah well - thanks for the input. I'll leave it up to the powers that be to decide whether it's worth pursuing but I've put the idea forward.

Although I would have thought that those little squares that don't get utilized aren't a problem as they would normally be taken up by the larger rectangle or square surrounding the item anyway.

I've gone ahead and put together some sample images of weapon packing anyway... I'm a visual person and even if these are rough hash ups it gets the idea across a bit better. I haven't included the grey 'foot-print' of the M4 but just assume it would be there.

Backpack can't fit a fully kitted M4:

ZCv9BH5.jpg

A bit better sans the stock:

Stv0N2e.jpg

A quick re-jig and removal of magazine and ACOG (to be placed elsewhere):

fegRetb.jpg

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 1

I think a good compromise to this would be if you could combine particularly small items into a pile, for example if you could combine a battery, can opener, buis sight, and painkillers into one pile, taking one slot, maybe add a small (1 slot) baggie as a lootable or craftable item that works like a pelican case but only holds really small items

So perhaps I was unclear - I'm not proposing that the packing problem be resolved by the computer (which it seems is what you are talking about) - the player manually places items within the inventory as per the current system (i.e. the player deals with the packing problem). The only amendments to the current system are an increase in the number of squares (by subdivision), (manual) rotation of some items to fit into a space of the same area but a different orientation, and (possibly) odd shaped items not having a rectangular or square foot print.

Does this affect your response or am I still missing the point as to where the extra computation is coming from? 

Regarding some objects having an odd-shaped footprint in the inventory, I would be happy if that wasn't included - I can certainly see the aesthetic appeal of limiting the shapes of items to rectangles or squares. To me the logical approach would be sort the big items first, then the medium sized then the small, although I appreciate that this changes when you find new large size items. 

Inclusion of smaller squares makes sense to me to account for the relative size of small items (as per the can opener in the initial post taking up half the space). It also allows for more flexibility in object size - instead of the small square 'bitten out' as shown in the image in the first post, the ACOG and stock could be limited to three small squares horizontally (rather than the equivalent of 4 in the current system).

Commanderbash - As to stacking small items in one (currently sized) square, while I see what you're driving at I'm not sure of the benefits of this for accessibility in comparison to placing them directly into a subdivided square. 

Appreciate the critical responses.

Edited by Roshi

Nice idea, if for no other reason than it's silly that a set of keys or a battery take up the same space as a can of beans or a soda. I could fit 10 batteries in the same space as a can of beans.

Ah well - thanks for the input. I'll leave it up to the powers that be to decide whether it's worth pursuing but I've put the idea forward.

Although I would have thought that those little squares that don't get utilized aren't a problem as they would normally be taken up by the larger rectangle or square surrounding the item anyway.

I've gone ahead and put together some sample images of weapon packing anyway... I'm a visual person and even if these are rough hash ups it gets the idea across a bit better. I haven't included the grey 'foot-print' of the M4 but just assume it would be there.

Backpack can't fit a fully kitted M4:

ZCv9BH5.jpg

A bit better sans the stock:

Stv0N2e.jpg

A quick re-jig and removal of magazine and ACOG (to be placed elsewhere):

fegRetb.jpg

Brilliant!!!

I ve been thinking this for so long. So many instances in which, this, would be useful.

im totally agree with these new backpack system but i dont think dayz team able to do that. even if they do we gonna have major bugs on this for a moths.

But i must say how can a battery fills same space with bean cans ? i totally agree with that slots

maybe they add more space to backpacks but im sure they wont do that more squares thing lets keep dreaming :(

Also for vests that are designed as magazine carriers, separate the pockets into separate spaces so that you can't fit a pistol or medkit in there. Vests should have variety that makes you choose one over the other (e.g. knife sheathes, or holsters as well as pockets, etc).

Current:

WTV5b3V.jpg

Separate pockets:

7UXvrJk.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!qcFF+2p)Ky3BRo61WpjSw~~60_35.J Vests can hold a weapon, are even two as some GOPE (Special Operation Groups here in Chile) do, like Max Payne style and shit

$(KGrHqF,!qcFF+2p)Ky3BRo61WpjSw~~60_35.J Vests can hold a weapon, are even two as some GOPE (Special Operation Groups here in Chile) do, like Max Payne style and shit

Yeah that's kinda what I had in mind. Would also be great to use the crafting system too modify vests etc to add sheaths, holsters etc.

I just had the same idea of dividing each square in four this morning and came here to check if anyone already suggested. haha

It is really annoying that a battery, pen, lockpick, paper, keys and small itens take the same amount of space of a food can or something else.