Asyrel

Framerate problems i dunno why...

so i just got dayz 2 days ago.. great game, im having alot of fun... but somethings been bugging me alot... the game feels like its running really low fps all the time.

So today i decided to check my fps i downloaded fraps... im getting 15-25 fps constantly.  i turned everything to very low it only went up to 30-40 fps.

my pc isnt great but it isnt that shit either.

ive got a MSI radeon 6850, Amd athlon 455x 3 and 8 gigs of RAM.... its not the greatest pc i know but its good enough to run most games at a decent fps @ medium - high settings.

so i dunno its really bugging me so any help would be appreciated at very low @ 30-40 fps theres definity something wrong with the game not my hardware... and i understand its in early alpha so if anyone could help maybe launch options that might help or things i can edit in the config file..

Some simple fixes that may help (Provided you didn't already do them)

V Sync - Off, V Sync is designed to prevent screen tearing at a high performance cost.

Post Processing - Off, Post Processing are added elements such as motion blur.

Ambient Occlusion - Off, Ambient Occlusion adds shaders to the world among other things, but when turned on and off the background should have a noticeable graphical and Frame rate change.

Anti-Aliasing - Off, Anti-Aliasing is a huge issue for many games on lower-end pcs. For example I can play games like "Tomb Raider" at near 40-60 with AA off, compared to the 20-30 I'd get tops with it maxed.

Shadows - Off, Shadows off will impact your framerate greatly, but shadows on anything lower than "Low" will leave the world looking strange due to the lack of shadows anywhere.

Edited by AllDayZSimon

30-40 FPS on low sounds about right for an Athlon in all honesty.

30-40 FPS on low sounds about right for an Athlon in all honesty.

yes but on very low(meaning everything disabled... some shitty resoultion.. every setting on low/very low)... if i can run crysis 3 @ medium/high gfx at 30-40 fps @ 1920-1080 with my shitty athlon i dont think this game comes remotely close to the performance requirements

so ur telling me its sounds normal for 30-40 fps is normal when i turn down the settings so low it looks like a game from 10 years ago.. i dont think so 

Edited by Asyrel

yes but on very low(meaning everything disabled... some shitty resoultion.. every setting on low/very low)... if i can run crysis 3 @ medium/high gfx at 30-40 fps @ 1920-1080 with my shitty athlon i dont think this game comes remotely close to the performance requirements

The difference is that Crysis isn't particularly CPU intensive, whereas DayZ is.

so basicly ur saying i can never play this game at a decent fps until i get a better cpu?

ive got a MSI radeon 6850, Amd athlon 455x 3 and 8 gigs of RAM.... its not the greatest pc i know but its good enough to run most games at a decent fps @ medium - high settings.

so i dunno its really bugging me so any help would be appreciated at very low @ 30-40 fps theres definity something wrong with the game not my hardware... and i understand its in early alpha so if anyone could help maybe launch options that might help or things i can edit in the config file..

To put it simply, your expectations are too high. On your hardware, you are not going to get the FPS you think you deserve. This is not meant as a slight, its just a fact. My system is only a little better than yours, but I am coming from long experience with the ArmA (RV) engines and so know that frame rates are going to be lower than with some other engines.

If I try to run everything on hig, I'm lucky to be able to get ~20 FPS out in the wilds. In any town, or village for that matter, forget it! So lower your expectations a little, go read the FPS thread (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154330-possible-fps-enhancer/) and try everything there, it may help.

Other than that, just get in game and ignore the FPS.

so basicly ur saying i can never play this game at a decent fps until i get a better cpu?

You can drop your render distance and other settings via the config (should be detailed in the topic Porter linked to) but no, there is no "miracle cure". You won't see a massive improvement without upgrading.

Edited by Mos1ey

i dont expect anything... i expect the game to run on medium graphics atleast above 30 fps.. where it doesnt look like my characters glitching out when i run..

i dont expect anything... i expect...

I don't mean to be rude but upgrade your outdated hardware then. You can't compare performance in a singleplayer game like Crysis to performance in a massively open world multiplayer game that requires huge amounts of rendering to be done at one time. It simply doesn't work like that.

i dont expect anything... i expect the game to run on medium graphics atleast above 30 fps.. where it doesnt look like my characters glitching out when i run..

Then I'm sorry. You ARE going to be disappointed. Unless you have the financial resources to upgrade your system to the bleeding edge, then you'll have to endure the situation with the rest of us.

Even after the 'optimisation' steps that will come with the games development, you are not going to be suddenly getting the FPS you want. Even with the bleeding edge systems, you aren't going to get that!

So, reality check time! Play as is and find some silver lining. Upgrade your system and hopefully be better off. Or just don't play. Your choice.

Oh, and starting your statement with: "i dont expect anything... i expect...". Umm, hello!!

PS: I'm going to stop now, because this thread can't go anywhere good from here.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

I don't mean to be rude but upgrade your outdated hardware then. You can't compare performance in a singleplayer game like Crysis to performance in a massively open world multiplayer game that requires huge amounts of rendering to be done at one time. It simply doesn't work like that.

how about world of warcraft then i run that around 40-60 fps at high settings, also guild wars 2 30-40 at high settings.. lets see what else.. diablo 3  also 40-60... PoE 40-60.... trust me im not an idiot i know my hardware is outdated... but comparing my performance to other "mmo's" and other games in general doesnt come even close... 

and most actual mmorpg's have a much larger player base than this game meaning that the area's are 10x more crowded actually dayz not crowded at all.... maybe the roads full of bugged dead corpses other than that rarely come across other people in full 40 man server i join thats hosted in my country...

Edited by Asyrel

how about world of warcraft then i run that around 40-60 fps at high settings, also guild wars 2 30-40 at high settings.. lets see what else.. diablo 3  also 40-60... PoE 40-60.... trust me im not an idiot i know my hardware is outdated... but comparing my performance to other "mmo's" and other games in general doesnt come even close... 

No, traditional MMORPG games aren't really comparable either as they tend not to require huge chunks of the map to be loaded at one time. Those games aren't particularly hardware intensive. Try PlanetSide 2 (which actually loads much smaller areas than DayZ and still requires a pretty good system to play), ArmA 2 or ArmA 3...

I'm not calling you an idiot, what I am saying is that you seem to be slightly misguided regarding how games actually work and why DayZ requires as much power as it does, regardless of the fact that it isn't very well optimised at the minute.

Edited by Mos1ey

No, traditional MMORPG games aren't really comparable either as they tend not to require huge chunks of the map to be loaded at one time. Those games aren't particularly hardware intensive. Try PlanetSide 2 (which actually loads much smaller areas than DayZ and still requires a pretty good system to play), ArmA 2 or ArmA 3...

I'm not calling you an idiot, what I am saying is that you seem to be slightly misguided regarding how games actually work and why DayZ requires as much power as it does, regardless of the fact that it isn't very well optimised at the minute.

you could of explained that on the first post instead of calling out my shit cpu with no attempts to help.... anyways will try fps improvements that the other guy linked to earlier... guess its time to save up for a cpu upgrade then

you could of explained that on the first post instead of calling out my shit cpu with no attempts to help.... anyways will try fps improvements that the other guy linked to earlier... guess its time to save up for a cpu upgrade then

To be fair you blamed the game and said that you were sure it wasn't your hardware, I was just informing you that that was not correct.

Anyway, have a look through that topic and you'll probably be able to squeeze out a few more FPS. Stuff like the scene complexity and render distance commands should help.

I'd recommend an i5 if you can stretch to one, they're by far the best CPUs for DayZ.

Stop comparing dayz to wow or crysis... dayz is a heavy game

I get 40/55 in wilderness and 20/35 in cities with this:

i5 750

Ati 5850

4gb ram

1tb hdd

Edited by Synton

I think they did not deployed any optimization patches yet. Lets wait and hope they will.

I'm with the rest on this one in saying that it is definitely your processor, and a problem I'm noticing in a lot of recent games. I've seen people that can run it at decent settings and with fraps or twitch streaming on that get a bit better performance than I do, and from the testing I've found it's looking like my processor is the problem. 8 gigs of ram, dual 7770's for my graphics cards and a phenom II 955 clocked to 3.8ghz x4. Using all the tips they use on the tweak guide I get a very respectable 48-55 fps out in the wilderness, but when it comes time venture into the city, I'll bottom out at around 28-34 depending on the size of the town (Kamenka and small towns on the higher end, cherno and elektro on the low. It's the same issues I have with dayzmod and games like TSW. No matter what graphics settings I use on my card, and for the most part the game (very low to high) I see virtually no changes in performance. The only time I did see a change was when I started oc'ing the cpu again, pushing it from 3.2ghz to 3.8ghz. Doing that got me an average jump of about 5-10fps depending on the situation. I know that most people in general are only getting 25-38 fps in most city areas on here, so it's largely an optimization issue, but it's looking pretty obvious to me after playing dayz and certain other games that the major bottleneck I'm having is in my cpu area. Your card is decent enough that it should be able to handle everything on normal settings, which means you're taking all your hits from cpu bottlenecking and optimization. Optimization and .cfg editing is the only thing you can do for the latter, and for the former...you can always try overclocking the cpu until you can afford a new proc. It may give you just enough of a boost to keep things from getting frustrating.

To be fair you blamed the game and said that you were sure it wasn't your hardware, I was just informing you that that was not correct.

Anyway, have a look through that topic and you'll probably be able to squeeze out a few more FPS. Stuff like the scene complexity and render distance commands should help.

I'd recommend an i5 if you can stretch to one, they're by far the best CPUs for DayZ.

i thought since the game was in alpha alot of ppl were having the same problem after googling it also alot of ppl do have the same problem.. but yea i know my hardwares old.. i5 would be great but then i would need a new motherboard since ive got a am3 cpu slot on mine... was thinking of just getting a better am3 cpu like a phenom IIx6.. but yea thats not a dayz issue will sort it out on my own...

A Phenom would be better than the Athlon but they still aren't great for DayZ. Intel just perform way better for some reason.

i have found that by simply lowering my resolution from 1920x1080 to 1024x768 i was able to run everything else on medium-high with all the rendering turned on and stuff and achieve 30-50 fps almost everywhere.  the only time it dips into the upper 20s is in certain areas of the woods where there is a lot of tree shadows to render and obviously in the apartment complex area of Cherno.

the game looks beautiful at the expense of a little crispness, but i dont mind that

Edited by mjf6866

check to see what your cpu is doing my brother had similar issue, we reduced strain on cpu and problem fixed

I upgraded my cooling system, video card, motherboard and processor over the last 4 months all in hopes of being able to play Dayz competitively on pvp servers.  This game/mod is no more processor intensive than a rated bg in warcraft ( in which I play on ultra settings with 60 fps ).  I log into Dayz and am lucky to see 19 fps while walking in the woods.  From what I understand the the standalone suffers the same issues.  I have been a Dayz fan for years, but can't say I would recommend it to any newcoming player that doesn't have more money than sense when it comes to their gaming pc.