crazyandlazy

Question on shooting on an incline and at an incline

So for zeroing purpose, I should always take less than the horizontal distance from me and my target for both shooting at target [a]above me below. This is correct right?

E.g I am shooting from the base of an incline at a target that is above me. The horizontal distance between me and my target is around 350. I should zero for 300. Correct? 

So for zeroing purpose, I should always take less than the horizontal distance from me and my target for both shooting at target [a]above me below. This is correct right?

E.g I am shooting from the base of an incline at a target that is above me. The horizontal distance between me and my target is around 350. I should zero for 300. Correct? 

Yes, on an incline the horizontal distance is always inferior to the actual distance between you and your target, so always zero accordingly.

Yes, on an incline the horizontal distance is always inferior to the actual distance between you and your target, so always zero accordingly.

so let me just confirm again just to make sure...

I should always take the horizontal distance [not actual distance] for both [a] above hill target and below hill target. Correct?

This is really interesting. I want someone to explain this theory of aiming lower for inclines both above and below.

I dont know in game... but irl, if shooting down hill the bullet will hit higher than distance if zeroed to that distance, and up hill lower... Not both the same way, opposites.

And it depends on angle by how much, i dont know the exact science to it... but your horizontal distance makes intuitive sense down hill, up hill... ummm it drops more, i guess because gravity as well as air friction is working against the velocity... We nned someone smarter and less lazy(with the ability o google probably) to figure this out. :D

Edited by KingOchaos

I dont know in game... but irl, if shooting down hill the bullet will hit higher than distance if zeroed to that distance, and up hill lower... Not both the same way, opposites.

And it depends on angle by how much, i dont know the exact science to it... but your horizontal distance makes intuitive sense down hill, up hill... ummm it drops more, i guess because gravity as well as air friction is working against the velocity... We nned someone smarter and less lazy(with the ability o google probably) to figure this out. :D

Thanks for the input. I was looking for an easy way out. Was hoping someone would easily describe the phenomena. I read the following on incline shooting and they said that both above and below shoots higher. I can't get my head around it so I had asked on here.

http://customturretsystems.com/shooting-at-angles-should-you-aim-high-low-or-dead-on/

Thanks for the input. I was looking for an easy way out. Was hoping someone would easily describe the phenomena. I read the following on incline shooting and they said that both above and below shoots higher. I can't get my head around it so I had asked on here.

http://customturretsystems.com/shooting-at-angles-should-you-aim-high-low-or-dead-on/

Im gonna take out a rifle tomorrow, and test this, ive always felt this is not true... especially with a bow(i got one o them as well..)  Ill test it with a 75lbs compound, a .270 and a .22, and get back to you... ;)  But im still fairly certain these experts are wrong :huh:

And after reading this http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/ShootingUphillAndDownhill.pdf ill admit im WRONG.... god knows how many times ive missed because o aimmin the wrong way :blush:  or decidin im just im over estimating range.

Edited by KingOchaos
  • Like 1

Im gonna take out a rifle tomorrow, and test this, ive always felt this is not true... especially with a bow(i got one o them as well..)  Ill test it with a 75lbs compound, a .270 and a .22, and get back to you... ;)  But im still fairly certain these experts are wrong :huh:

That is so cool to be able to test it out with a rifle and bow :]

Be sure to post the results! I will be keeping my eye on this topic. Thanks man!

Edited by CrazyandLazy

This is really interesting. I want someone to explain this theory of aiming lower for inclines both above and below.

If you're firing on a flat trajectory, gravity is working directly perpendicular to the shot direction, so it  only pulls the shot downwards hence we zero the sights to account for bullet drop (obvious)

If you're firing downwards, Think about the direction of the bullet and the direction that gravity is pulling it. Part of the force will be causing it to arc, but also part of the force will be accelerating it (negligibly). The important thing is that the whole force of gravity is divided on these two actions and thus only affecting the trajectory by a fraction of what it would on a horizontal shot.

Likewise for firing upwards except a portion of the force will be (negligbly) slowing the bullet rather than contributing to the arc...

EDIT: Pythagorus is difficult to use and implement unless you know the relative sea heights of both target and shooter... so in the field people use some trigonometry: cos θ = adjacent / hypotenuse (cosine of the angle above/below target = horizontal distance / actual distance in layman speak)...not gonna explain cosines, google it :)

Edited by phlOgistOn
  • Like 3

If you're firing on a flat trajectory, gravity is working directly perpendicular to the shot direction, so it  only pulls the shot downwards hence we zero the sights to account for bullet drop (obvious)

If you're firing downwards, Think about the direction of the bullet and the direction that gravity is pulling it. Part of the force will be causing it to arc, but also part of the force will be accelerating it (negligibly). The important thing is that the whole force of gravity is divided on these two actions and thus only affecting the trajectory by a fraction of what it would on a horizontal shot.

Likewise for firing upwards except a portion of the force will be (negligbly) slowing the bullet rather than contributing to the arc...

This was what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!!! Now I understand the why. Gravity has less effect at inclines[both below and above] which results in less bullet arc. Less bullet arc means you would need to zero less than what you would usually zero for the distance[distance of hypthenuse]. In other words, the distance of adjacent side or the horizontal/leveled plane is used.

Thanks!!!

It's a bit of a simplified explanation, but glad it helped :) http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/angle-shooting.php was where I first checked.

But for a more in depth look at the math (it's actually a bit more complicated than just using the horizontal distance...but it's near enough for most cases) and some diagrams etc...then check the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman%27s_rule although there's a lot of complicated math I didn't even start to wade through on there.

EDIT: clarity

Edited by phlOgistOn

It's a bit of a simplified explanation, but glad it helped :) http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/angle-shooting.php was where I first checked.

But for a more in depth look at the math (it's actually a bit more complicated than just using the horizontal distance...but it's near enough for most cases) and some diagrams etc...then check the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman%27s_rule although there's a lot of complicated math I didn't even start to wade through on there.

EDIT: clarity

Thanks man. I am not going to math it out but just going to predict the horizontal distance. Learn by experience and trial/error ftw :]

Where you one of those people that asked your math teacher, "when will i use this in real life?" If so, this is your opportunity!

I've used Pythagorean theorem and a little trigonometry to calculate distance tons of times when i'm sniping. It just makes it that much more satisfying when you land a perfectly zeroed headshot.