Sign in to follow this  
movebywire

Skill / Perk System Suggestion - May reduce KOS

Suggestion:

- Implement a simple perk system where a character starts with a certain skill based on his/her former life.

- Perks are random at character creation.

- Players can teach each other those perks over time.

Goal:

- Encourage teamplay / reduce KOS mentality.

- More character diversity.

- Characters that survive longer and are social get more skilled overtime.

Example:

Player 1 was a car thief so he knows how to hotwire cars. He can start cars even without a car key. He can teach

that skill to Player 2 by hotwiring a car in close proximity to Player2. Player 2 then tries to hotwire the car

with Player 1 watching over his shoulder. The first try may have a success rate of 10%. The rate rises with

every try untill Player 2 succeeds and thereby learned the skill.

The success rate may differ depending on the difficulty of the skill.

So maybe you are lucky and worked as a doctor in your former life, or you have to find someone patient enough to

teach you how to use a defib kit without killing your buddy.

Edited by movebywire
  • Like 5

i came in here to say, fuck! really!!! But your idea is actually different, so beans for you... even if im not so sure on the idea. ;)

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/161563-rewarding-players-for-actually-staying-alive-and-surviving/

I do like the idea of actual skills like hotwiring a car and such but how would they fit the skills in the game?

I think randomly generated start perks like cooking. car jacking. or something would be neat but how would it FIT with the dayz system?

Edited by Slyguy65

As long as it doesn't affect things like weapon recoil, damage from bullets, better accuracy, more health or other game breaking things i'm ok with this idea, things like hotwiring, faster bandaging, bloodbaging, maybe something with crafting, hunting and repairing are ok.

I don't want it to be random, because people will keep on killing themvelves to get what they want so it would just waste time but the result would be the same, I would just let them choose who they were before zombie apocalypse.

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 1

Perks sound good. Maybe there could by some kind of "RPG like" improvement through the books or magazines (Fallout style). Or learning new things (mechanics, medicines, repairs, weapons upgrades). And maybe a bit off topic, finding special loot places mentioned in a rare documents. ;) Just an idea ...

DayZ is aiming for transferable knowledge from real life to the game, so there wont be any perks restricting

your real life knowledge to do something and frankly i do not believe it would reduce KoS at all, if anything

people would become super protective of their skill sets and have a friend suicide non-stop to teach them

all the possible skills and they teach him/her afterwards.

• Like 1

Perhaps there could be a quick progression system. Just constructing an idea, and its not quite a full thought, but what if there was an xp system that leveled your characters up quickly, but then lost all skill progression once your character died?

Not sure of any other games that do that, plus itd be a bit more to try to advance on, other than just getting more tuna fish than everyone else.

To keep in with the rest of the game's "permadeath", all xp and skill points are nullified and returned to zero upon death.

It crosses my mind that later gamers may be more powerful than those spawning on the coast, but again, just a quick idea.