Sign in to follow this  
ZedsDeadBaby

End Spawn Suicide

Disabling the Respawn button for healthy players was a good step toward making suicide less viable for new spawns, but it obviously only went so far to solving the problem.

People just find the nearest lighthouse or smokestack and throw themselves off, or attract a bunch of zombies and get themselves ate.

This disregard for survival is anathema to the idea of being a "Survivor," as we all are meant to be. It also trivializes the spawn system design, which is meant to challenge players by isolating them and forcing them to get their bearings and travel some distance before meeting up with squad mates, finding high-value military loot, or just getting clear of the coastal war zone.

In short, killing yourself should never be an advantageous course of action. It should be a last resort for incapacitated, starving or hopelessly lost survivors who have given up.

In the interest of this, a very simple change:

If it has not been at least three hours since your last spawn and you die to anything except hostile weapons damage player action, you spawn in precisely the same location as you did before.

If you survive for three hours or die to hostile aggression, then you are assigned a new spawn point.

The exception for hostile weapons fire aggressive action prevents spam-camping spawn points. Otherwise, this change means players are no longer able to simply run and kill themselves because they don't like where the spawned.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 22

Sounds good, I think I'd be interesting.

Many people won't like it though >:(

In the end you probably can't change a thing though, I've had quite a few people coming up to me saying "Hey dude, friendly, please kill me"

How about a 20 to 30 minute respawn timer?

good idea, killing yourself isn't really advantageous at the moment, as there's no guarantee that you'll get the spawn you want, and that's another 20 minutes wasted. 

but yeah, forcing players to play the hand they're dealt would be better. i would like to add that 3 hours is a bit much, make it an hour and that should be enough, if the noobs are willing to waste an hour of their "precious" time then that's not my problem, but at least in that hour they should have either gotten to where they want to be anyway, or gotten enough gear to justify not killing their character. 

although as the guy above me said - you'll probably end up with freshies trying to get other players to kill them so they can respawn so....

idk, it's a good idea, but depending on how much work it would take to implement it might not be worth it, or we won't see it for a long time. 

• Like 1

Sounds good, I think I'd be interesting.

Many people won't like it though > :(

In the end you probably can't change a thing though, I've had quite a few people coming up to me saying "Hey dude, friendly, please kill me"

The respawn timer is a horrible idea.. you can suicide to Z's... what if yah mess up (get a phone call or such and get killed by Z's) and yah fcome back to find your locked out for 30min... i would rage so hard! Think of the poor key boards out there that will be abused if  such a thing was adopted!

• Like 7

I actually would really like a death timer. Would stop people from killing themselves, people looting their own dead bodies, and it would make people be more cautious. 

• Like 1

I actually would really like a death timer. Would stop people from killing themselves, people looting their own dead bodies, and it would make people be more cautious. 

too harsh, dying is bad enough if you play properly as is. 

• Like 1

too harsh, dying is bad enough if you play properly as is. 

Well aparently not?

30 minutes might be a bit hard, but 15 minutes isn't too long of a wait, yet it should stop you from suiciding. When I personally die, I take a short break anyways, so I wouldn't notice a 15 min timer....

You seem to forget that the majority are killing themselves because they spawn on the east coast and their friends in Kamenka.

If you're going to put up a 20-30 minute timer on respawning in the same location you might as well let us choose our spawn to begin with so we don't try killing ourselves.

Believe it or not, a lot of people just log out when a player in their group dies and spawns 45 minutes away.

Edit: Also, if it's only registered from combat damage - What's to stop me from camping the same guy for 30 minutes and force feeding him rotten fruit until he quits?

Edited by AllDayZSimon
  • Like 1

Good idea OP.

You have to stay alive or wait for atleast 30 minutes to earn a new (random) spawnpoint. If you die within that periode you keep respawning in the same area you originaly spawned, not necessarily at the exact same spot.

Edited by Drabik
  • Like 1

Drabik, on 13 Jan 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Good idea OP.

You have to stay alive or wait for atleast 30 minutes to earn a new (random) spawnpoint. If you die within that periode you keep respawning in the same area you originaly spawned, not necessarily at the exact same spot.

You thought that unarmed kamikazes were bad before.. Now they'll just keep retrying until you leave the area.

Unfortunately this idea doesnt really work. You can always suicide to zombies and there just cant be some specific

kind of suicide that gets you around the spawning timer. Spawn timer itself is not valid idea at all simply because entire

spawning area is a WARZONE and you are more likely to die there as fresh spawn then you would inland.

Its not fun to anyone if you die shortly after you start the game and have to wait for 5 minutes, just to be killed by bandits again.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this idea doesnt really work. You can always suicide to zombies

Also, if it's only registered from combat damage - What's to stop me from camping the same guy for 30 minutes and force feeding him rotten fruit until he quits?

Allow me to clarify, you get a new spawn point only if you die from hostile player action (including force feeding). 

Suicide by zombie would not assign you a new spawn point. Being poisoned by a player would.

You thought that unarmed kamikazes were bad before.. Now they'll just keep retrying until you leave the area.

Good point.

The main solution I see is that if you die within 10 min then you incur a 5 min re spawn penalty.

This would mean that by the time you spam re spawn to your preference you could have actually walked there.

It woulds also not have too much of an effect on new players as a single death would only cause 5 mins which is not that bad and that's only if its within 10 mins.

However if they die by accident a lot they could become frustrated, but really, you would need to changing up your play style if you can't live for more than 10 mins.

I'd like to see spawning in the nearest city of a friend I am trying to join in with. Who cares if others kill themselves.

• Like 1

If thats will be added i will sell mi kidney,buy ticet to personal hely and go to that bitch who allowed that shit to that game. After that i will enter emty setver, run to weapon spawn point, hop weapons and bullets, will ask friends to do the same, go on coast robb ppl and make it die from zombie so they will need to wait that fucking amount of time and have huge pain in the ass as i will

I will make newspawn suffer from that "innovation" And then all of them will protest about that shit.

If thats will be added i will sell mi kidney,buy ticet to personal hely and go to that bitch who allowed that shit to that game. After that i will enter emty setver, run to weapon spawn point, hop weapons and bullets, will ask friends to do the same, go on coast robb ppl and make it die from zombie so they will need to wait that fucking amount of time and have huge pain in the ass as i will

You make a very compelling argument... NOT

Name one reason why this is a bad idea? You're not supposed to respawn until you find a spot you like. And I'm fairly certain that rocket is already thinking about similar methods. 

You make a very compelling argument... NOT

Name one reason why this is a bad idea? You're not supposed to respawn until you find a spot you like. And I'm fairly certain that rocket is already thinking about similar methods.

probably you did not thinked while read my post, campers will rape you on coast or make you die from zombies or from chemical poison, so you must wait that time between respawn. And if you spawned and could mot find any loot and zombies simply ate you,i just do not have time to wrote more for explaining. Plus we need more spawn points then Solnechnoe,
  • Like 1

Re-spawn timers?! this ain't WarZ folks and that idea can fuck right off,

Forcing players to re-spawn in the same area that's not such a bad idea, the east coast is just a field of dead bodies, hell I went there today to help the freshies, seems the only help they wanted was a bullet in the skull. Even ran into the same guy twice, the second time he said "oh hey you again" I just cut him down and as I ran past his lifeless body heard a heartfelt "Thank you"

So either the timer as OP suggested or remove the other spawn points.

Maybe this will become less of a "problem" in later builds, I've only spawned on the south coast once, and Benz is almost always ready for looting and almost no chance of getting shot.  Maybe if they dropped a fire station in the town or something it would be more attractive.

• Like 1

including an average surviving time would do something about that too.

probably you did not thinked while read my post, campers will rape you on coast or make you die from zombies or from chemical poison, so you must wait that time between respawn. And if you spawned and could mot find any loot and zombies simply ate you,i just do not have time to wrote more for explaining. Plus we need more spawn points then Solnechnoe,

I think you don't get it. You only respawn in the same place if you're NOT killed by a player. Meaning if you suicide of a cliff in order to get a better spawn location, that will not work. Only if a player kills you you will get a new spawn location. So no camping and no timer or what ever. Edited by phoboss

just 1 hour timer would be sufficient. no point waiting for an hour for new spawn since you'd run there faster anyway.

i don't see the point of including getting killed by a hostile players. why would you need a new spawn point then? just change server if you don't want to get spawn-raped again. there's a chance you'd spawn back to same place anyways.

just 1 hour timer would be sufficient. no point waiting for an hour for new spawn since you'd run there faster anyway.

i don't see the point of including getting killed by a hostile players. why would you need a new spawn point then? just change server if you don't want to get spawn-raped again. there's a chance you'd spawn back to same place anyways.

Because maybe you don't want to switch server because your friends are on that one or you can't because it's a private hive.