DropBearChick

Ella's standalone guide

I think the seagulls make zombie noises too.

I have found SKS and AKM in cars too

3 years from becoming (legally) an independent adult is not an excuse for poor spelling and grammar.

Since you're on the internet, laziness is a valid excuse for this though. Just go with that next time.

Do you have time to write a long ass book??? Write it, revise it, edit it? If you do that is pretty sad. But I think most people wouldn't have time to write that guide, let alone make sure everything is fucking correct. Go about your day instead of bitching about the fact she didn't have time to correct it.

• Like 1

I don't think new players take a liking to being called "noobs" and "bambis" (please don't ever use that word again)

And honestly most of the stuff you wrote is very self explanatory

Dude if you have ever played DayZ then you know that even bambis call themselves bambis. I really don't think they give a fuck.

i appreciate the effort and dedication, and the will to help should never be punished

that said, you could really improve the structure of your post:

use font formatting (size, color, bold, italic) for clarity and emphasis. having headlines, subtopics and content all the same size does not help.regarding colors: they are fancy and shit, but inconsistent use doesnt help. starting 9 out of 18 bullet points with random colors does not help. also: (dark)blue on black is highly unreadable, you want to change that

personal note: i despise shameless selfbumping. dont do that. (and dont ask others to bump your threads). its bad form. if your guide is good, and people like it, it will get the attention by itself. see Merinos in-depth guide for reference of a high-quality guide that was community-voted to be pinned.

I know right! I look at the post and it is very well written for such a long guide and all the author gets is hate.

You need to work on the formatting of the text, it's pretty hard to read right now. The justifying makes it look like the intro to Star Wars ...

There is some useful stuff in there but it's delivered in such huge chunks ... It'd be better if you wrote a guide per subject and linked to your other guides from within the text.

On the other hand, we already have something like that

I hardly, if ever, read forum guides. I prefer bite-sized Wiki pages 'cause I want to spend very little time reading and a lot of time gaming.

Agree with the Death Dealer guy. Just call 'm new players.

Amazingly you write 1000's of words in a day, trying to do something for the community and in the first 10 replies come the grammar nazi's and haters :rolleyes:

Amazingly you write 1000's of words in a day, trying to do something for the community and in the first 10 replies come the grammar nazi's and haters :rolleyes:

that's the dayz community for ya.

• Like 1

Great guide 'mam.  You may want to add some disclaimers/warnings under the looting section -- specifically under looting airports, military bases and military campsites near airports.  The warning should state that those areas, in populated servers, have the highest probability of having players nearby - most of which are bandits.  

A second suggestion, might I add, would be to new players that like playing on low slot servers.  If you are looting the above areas, airports/military bases and campsites, and you are alone or with a small group in a low populated server, have someone in your group always watching the ATC (Air Traffic Control tower).  Through learning the hard way, I've come to the realization that there are a lot of turds playing this game... that enjoy server hoping and spawning in those ATCs and sniping anyone that is looting the campsites or the hangers at the airport.  So something smart to keep in mind is to always watch for the rooftop of those ATC towers, and also the top floors of the fire department buildings.  Bandits love to join low-populated servers and spawn at the top and just camp and snipe... then loot the victim's body and move onto the next server.  Really sucks, but it is reality.

Other than that, great job! Very thorough.

Great effort, kudos. 

Also fly over here and move in please.

Edited by Greaves

Nice guide.

Sad you have to pretend to be a girl though...

So because I'm hot you think "oh a chick that hot can't possibly play dayz"

And thanks greaves I was actually thinking about moving to Europe lol

What this guide is missing is a section on player interaction. The magic that happens when you start using the in-game chat to make solid allies, deter potential bandits and even convince unwitting survivors to lower their guard long enough for you to make an escape or kill them for their loot. 

I'm a terrible marksman. I'm only able to overcome bandits if they give me enough time to speak-- I've managed to enter buildings my own group had besieged in order to kill them from the inside, just as I've gotten bandits to back off from a building I'd been holed up in. I've faced ridiculous odds and survived, all without directly fighting my aggressors. When on my own, I can find a group and become a parasite. 

If you're planning on holding a survivor at gunpoint (to neutralize him as a threat, to make friends or as a bluff because you're unarmed but out of sight), try to be menacing without being a bully. It's somewhat contradictory, but what I mean is that you need to let the other player know by your intonation that you're absolutely confident in your ability to follow through with an implied threat, without actually threatening to kill them. I've had a lot of success saying ''Keep your gun on your back. I am easily startled,'' after which point you'd walk the other survivor through the interaction. If you're interacting with another player directly, you want to keep your gun trained on him while his remains on his back or on the ground. Simply telling him why you're doing this goes a long way: ''Don't be alarmed, I'm <going to handcuff you/going to keep my weapon pointed at you> as a precaution.'' If you're creative, and don't resort to just yelling ''Friendly,'' you can easily gain another player's trust, even if he wasn't planning on being friendly from the get-go. Also, you'll often get bogged down by survivors who will attempt to stall you. Call them out on it: ''Stop stalling. Comply.''

It sounds bad, and a lot of it is-- I've led a lot of survivors to their demise for my own benefit, but you can do the opposite just as well. It's a good way to stop the bloodshed and come out on top. Most people will immediately pull their weapons out when they hear VOIP because they're convinced you're just going to make them drink disinfectant and then execute them. The very same people will listen to you if you know what to say. 

Edited by Very Ape

Unless you're posting your picture everywhere on this board I doubt anyone thinks you're 'hot'. Unless you claim that it's you in that avatar. Which I doubt most people wouldn't think was you anyway, since like maybe one out of a hundred people actually put themselves into the avatar.

I also doubt most people who consider themselves hot do that anyway, because A) They'd have to advertize it to everyone that it's them in that avatar and B ) No one would believe them, the only people who'd believe you would either send you shitty PMs or call you an attention whore. Then again human vanity is limitless so who knows.

<- I'm totes Matthew McCounaghey because he's in my avatarz.

Edit: KA-BOOM

Hello Ella ( or is it Alan??)

Interesting to see that they exposed you on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2f1e0s/dayz_pax_build/

The supposed 'PAX' picture of you with the Asian guy (see reddit thread) comes from this website: https://www.facebook.com/littlewindmillcosplay/info?ref=page_internal

Your profile picture comes from this website: http://www.stunnish.com/sexy-women-are-always-a-win/

So the loveliest Girl in Town seems to be a fraud.

----

Yes, I know this is offtopic.

It's Sunday and I don't have anything else to do.

Edited by Exorade

And thanks greaves I was actually thinking about moving to Europe lol

No, because every profile you've linked and your IP link back to an "Andrew"..

So well played Andrew, you attention seeker :)

Don't care if it's a guy or girl or space alien... Appreciate you trying to do something helpful for other players. Don't let it discourage you... keep revising it with new info and people will appreciate it.

6 hours ago, mopar350 said:

Thank You! very helpful

Wow, that's a hell of a necro there. I haven't read the guide but it will probably be way outdated by now. I'm sure it will be even more outdated once 0.63 hits.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2014 at 3:24 PM, DropBearChick said:

inception: I agree but I have only enough time to write it and hardly any time for editing, plus I am only 15 still not finished high school so u can hardly blame me.

Do you go to mt st micheals in bris ?  ^__^