hannibaldaplaya

Players who exploit the ability to server hop and players who don't.

Me and my friend, last night, we're surprised to see a player not log out once we handcuffed him and basically decided to steal his blood. The fact of the matter is that it takes a lot of maturity to not just log out whenever something threatens you in the game, as he could have just exited and went on another server, with no punishment. Plus, he wouldn't have lost an ounce of blood.

This reminded me of the fact there are two types of players when it comes to the meta category- Players who exploit things such as the lack of a log out timer and how easy it is to hop servers in order to get loot, gain an advantage in a gunfight, and escape other players and players who do not do this and try to have the most legitimate, server-hop / logout free experience they can. There are tons of times where I've met server hoppers on servers, and if I kill them, they're loaded with gear (most of the time.) If I kill another, normal player whose looted on military-style area on one or two servers, he barely has anything compared to the hoppers. His gun usually lacks attachments, and though he probably has tons of magazines (due to the spawns), he isn't as geared up as a hopper would. The only thing is that the hoppers and players who are likely to exploit the game in order to gain advantages and avoid situations that may harm them are a lot harder to kill, as they'll simply log off if they see you and then log back on right behind you. 

Plus, the fact people server hop high-loot areas is actually a bit scary for someone like me. When I finally get to NWAF, NEAF, or any of the Military Installations, I try to be as fast as possible so I don't get caught by another player joining in to get some gear. I'm extra careful. Is this a good or a bad thing? Normally you can scout the area to make sure noone is there already, but now you have to make sure noone is about to join the server to find some loot. 

Unfortunately, there will always be players who exploit the system to gain advantages. 

• Like 1

I  myself got a bit tired to start up with chars and as soon as I had some decent stuff that made me interesting fetched some bullets after a "friendly"-call from the other side.

Due to that I use to server hop until I have an axe, a firearm and a suitable backpack, so I see at least a small chance to survive longer than 5 minutes. After that, i stick to one server until I happen to be too stupd once again or run into a bunch of hackers.  :)

Edited by Calixus

We are a lot of people waiting for a fix...

I  myself got a bit tired to start up with chars and as soon as I had some decent stuff that made me interesting fetched some bullets after a "friendly"-call from the other side.

Due to that I use to server hop until I have an axe, a firearm and a suitable backpack, so I see at least a small chance to survive longer than 5 minutes. After that, i stick to one server until I happen to be too stupd once again or run in a bunch of hackers. :)

Don't ever server hop. It's not meant to be easy! You can just join a low pop server and stay there until you're geared.

• Like 3

i don't get the advantages of the global hive concept anyways... it just makes all the bad things possible (hopping, ghosting, oh its nighttime -> change server,...).

the thing for me to do in the mod was always to find a stable, well managed private hive and stick to it.

oh... medics ;-)

• Like 1

I just hate the fact that when I join a low-pop I am immediately kicked by some asshole and his buddies who dont wan't to play with anyone but themselves, where is the fun in that.. jackasses.

• Like 2

Plus, the fact people server hop high-loot areas is actually a bit scary for someone like me. When I finally get to NWAF, NEAF, or any of the Military Installations, I try to be as fast as possible so I don't get caught by another player joining in to get some gear. I'm extra careful. Is this a good or a bad thing? Normally you can scout the area to make sure noone is there already, but now you have to make sure noone is about to join the server to find some loot. 

This has surprised me to no end, Aradia. It happened while playing last night with a buddy of mine.

We were at the airfield near Belota, and someone popped up right behind me. Suffice to say, my friend and I drew our weapons quickly and made sure the guy was friendly.

I can freely admit to server hopping; not until I got onto these forums did I see it was an issue. I stream on Twitch a lot, and server hopping allows me to get gear faster so that I can do some of the more entertaining aspects of the game in front of my viewers.

However, I may need to rethink this a bit. Korsbaek mentioned just joining low population servers until I'm geared. Maybe that's the way? Unless you guys have other suggestions for gearing up efficiently (and, hence, not needing to server hop).

• Like 1

This has surprised me to no end, Aradia. It happened while playing last night with a buddy of mine.

We were at the airfield near Belota, and someone popped up right behind me. Suffice to say, my friend and I drew our weapons quickly and made sure the guy was friendly.

I can freely admit to server hopping; not until I got onto these forums did I see it was an issue. I stream on Twitch a lot, and server hopping allows me to get gear faster so that I can do some of the more entertaining aspects of the game in front of my viewers.

However, I may need to rethink this a bit. Korsbaek mentioned just joining low population servers until I'm geared. Maybe that's the way? Unless you guys have other suggestions for gearing up efficiently (and, hence, not needing to server hop).

Well, you're trying to provide live media entertainment in a game where in-context logic would dictate staying as far away from anything dangerous to stay alive, taking it slow, etc..must be pretty rough.

I think you might HAVE to do certain things in order to generate a certain entertainment. That's one advantage of Youtube videos over Streams for a game such as DayZ I think, you can isolate/compress such moments while not having to force them during live game-play.

In the end there are no "laws" or anything. Server hopping might be frowned upon socially but that rarely stopped entertainment media in the past from "provoking" socially frowned upon actions to keep their viewers. Long as you don't hack and whatnot, it's as I said before..you and your mirror :)

Edited by Mutonizer

Well, you're trying to provide live media entertainment in a game where in-context logic would dictate staying as far away from anything dangerous to stay alive, taking it slow, etc..must be pretty rough.

I think you might HAVE to do certain things in order to generate a certain entertainment. That's one advantage of Youtube videos over Streams for a game such as DayZ I think, you can isolate/compress such moments while not having to force them during live game-play.

In the end there are no "laws" or anything. Server hopping might be frowned upon socially but that rarely stopped entertainment media in the past from "provoking" socially frowned upon actions to keep their viewers. Long as you don't hack and whatnot, it's as I said before..you and your mirror :)

That's very true about the different mediums, Mutonizer. I've watched some YouTube videos of DayZ, and they can just edit out the slogging around for gear. They just highlight the best moments. It's life with the boring parts taken out.

I can certainly see this as just a social thing (unless Bohemia decides to enforce some kind of restriction on server hopping). Most likely it'll never fully go away.I find that the longer I play the game, the less tolerant I am of running around trying to find gear. Does that make sense? I just want to get back to the good stuff, like an addict. I need that high again! :)

I just hate the fact that when I join a low-pop I am immediately kicked by some asshole and his buddies who dont wan't to play with anyone but themselves, where is the fun in that.. jackasses.

Report that server bud. They're not allowed to do that if they're using the public hive.

If you report it to the correct server hosting service, you can get them blacklisted which pretty much means they wasted $70-$100

Here is the instructions on how to report servers: (2nd post)

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/158966-dayz-standalone-server-hosting-rules-server-reporting/

Edited by MystoganXIX

Just make it so - that handcuff status is not removed on logout. The only way to get rid of handcuffs is either dying or being un-cuffed. 

Given the retarded KOS nature of many players in the community, it doesn't surprise me when someone wants to survive. As for logging out whilst cuffed, that won't help them (as mentioned previously.)

Given the retarded KOS nature of many players in the community, it doesn't surprise me when someone wants to survive. As for logging out whilst cuffed, that won't help them (as mentioned previously.)

So logging out to avoid other players is totally legit.

It isn't like in a real apocalypse you can't just hop to another universe to avoid some douchebags. Right?

• Like 1

So logging out to avoid other players is totally legit.

It isn't like in a real apocalypse you can't just hop to another universe to avoid some douchebags. Right?

"Everyone else do it, why not me?" is a very common excuse. Since a lot of people cannot assume responsibilities, it's great for them since it removes any sense of shame/guilt, transfers it through an arbitrary justification "they do it!", and therefore, it's not their fault, they're just being clever!

Personally I have way more respect for an honest douche-bag combat logging all the time to exploit the very nature of it, than toward someone who tries to justify it like that. At least the first is true to his douche-baggery :)

• Like 1

Am I the only one around here who thinks that currently server-hopping (not like all day, but 2-3 times) is like "meh", but still acceptable just because of loot respawning system is not in place yet and because not all loot locations are implemented (i.e. deer stands, log houses and a freaking lot of buildings, actually), so it comes down to NEAF,NWAF, Elektro, Cherno and Balota just to get a good backpack or a tactical vest, weapons aside. And 4 out of 5 are either camped or looted dry. If the actually useful loot wasn't grouped in 5 places on the map and only once after the server restarts, there would be no reason to hop at all (for me, of course; I can't say for everyone).

TL;DR Combat logging is disgusting, server hopping is at most "meh" because of the current state of the loot system.

P.S. Looking forward to be called "pussy".

Changing server because it never auto restarts, unstable, completely empty and whatnot is not really "server hopping" I think.

Server hopping is more, to me, the conscious act of constantly swapping server to obtain gear faster.

All in all though, it's indeed annoying but what can you do right? It's alpha and all that :)

Just need to wait for the team to put something in the works then we'll see how that turns out.

Without respawning loot, getting stuff is binary. Either it's there, or someone cleaned it out before you. Walk for 30+mins to NWAF to find it empty except for damage scopes and you'd probably find all the other bases are empty by then as well.

Although I personally don't jump about from server to server just to gear up as soon as I've spawned, I'll admit to having weakened at times - Last night, I had logged off nr Khelm, intending on getting some sleep when I heard a buddy on TS have their server restart on them...I was almost fully geared (mosin+pu+fnx+ammo box+multiple medkits+protective cases+fully camod) but I still wanted that hunter bp instead of the bright green mountain pack I was carrying - and the temptation was too great, so I joined their server and trekked up to NEAF, lotsa ammo but no hunter BP grrrr...then I figured since it was a quiet server that NWAF would probably still have spawns so I travelled the whole way across the map, reached NWAF and found a bp AND an M4+pristine ACOG and called it a night with both guns and a pretty much perfect inventory. I'm kinda glad that today I got wiped by a server glitch cuz that's the kinda karma I would give to myself :)

Edited by phlOgistOn
  • Like 2

Am I the only one around here who thinks that currently server-hopping (not like all day, but 2-3 times) is like "meh", but still acceptable just because of loot respawning system is not in place yet and because not all loot locations are implemented (i.e. deer stands, log houses and a freaking lot of buildings, actually), so it comes down to NEAF,NWAF, Elektro, Cherno and Balota just to get a good backpack or a tactical vest, weapons aside. And 4 out of 5 are either camped or looted dry. If the actually useful loot wasn't grouped in 5 places on the map and only once after the server restarts, there would be no reason to hop at all (for me, of course; I can't say for everyone).

TL;DR Combat logging is disgusting, server hopping is at most "meh" because of the current state of the loot system.

P.S. Looking forward to be called "pussy".

my experience is that the amount of loot is just obscenely high, and many servers additionally restart every few hours thus refreshing the loot points. but i dont see a point is speed-gearing, i enjoy slow exploration, so maybe thats just me

Me and my friend, last night, we're surprised to see a player not log out once we handcuffed him and basically decided to steal his blood. The fact of the matter is that it takes a lot of maturity to not just log out whenever something threatens you in the game, as he could have just exited and went on another server, with no punishment. Plus, he wouldn't have lost an ounce of blood.

Yeah, as has been pointed out already you missed the update from like last week or something.  If you log while handcuffed or unconscious...YOU DIE. (also in real life)

To me, I do server change, but never in combat. I prefer either log out before a fight happens or fight until death (without logging out).

There is one thing for the server hoppers that worth mentioning, the chance/risk of "surprise attack" remains on both the hopper and people close to the hoping point. Usually before you spawn, you have one or two seconds immobility such as the system starts, load data, etc., that you still see the whatever loading scene while others see you standing, without a weapon out in hands. One time I was looting a military barrack and a guy just spawned right in front of me and a second later, he started yelling:" friendly! just spawned!" I didn't know if that was a hopper or sudden attack or newly spawned, but I still have the initiative to shoot him due to that second-long immobility (I took his axe, M4 and ammo and asked him to log out instantly, then quickly retreated).

I believe server hopping is a value of person, so take it as an external pressure to be more careful (to your back) and remember: Dayz SA is now alpha and don't bring the REAL WORLD BS into the discussion because this IS A GAME. In REAL WORLD, no matter how unfair it seems to you, you don't get a chance to post a thread online trying to justify it.

• Like 2

There is one thing for the server hoppers that worth mentioning, the chance/risk of "surprise attack" remains on both the hopper and people close to the hoping point. 

So much this. Lost gear this way a couple of times, but today the same way got away with mosin and meds of some poor soul. What else would you do if you have only axe and a person with mosin spawns 1m in front of you? I just shat my pants and hacked his head, actually.

Ehhm. Where did I left? You got a great point there. Server hopping can get you behind defences or net you some loot fast. But if you're unlucky you lose it all without even a chance to retaliate. Didn't actually thought about that this way.

P.S. Also saw a glorious sight today. Luckily, from a distance and through a scope. Server hopper spawns on the airfield, loots for a while and gets another one hopping right into his face. Of course, he kills him and starts to loot. But I'm just sitting here like w00t because third one hops in at the same place and manages to kill the first. Tried to shoot him afterwards but he logged. It would be a nice and juicy pile of loot, I suppose.

if people want to survive they should go inland - blah blah it's all been said before, but it's true.  

also yeah op, you have to get hoppers with the first or second shot or they'll prone/log. good hunting. 

All this handwringing and bitching about "R/L" in the zombie apocalypse.  KOS wah!  Server hopping wah!  Combat/precombat logging wah!  3rd person wah!

Yet nobody blinks an eye at TeamSpeak?  How R/L zombie apoc is it to have communication with some guy 200km away without a radio?  Where are the cries to make SA shutdown if it senses you using 3rd party commo software?  In for a realism penny, in for a realism pound.  Why not have to buy the game again after you get shot?  That'd be a pretty r/l consequence for death.

Oh wait.  It's a game!  In alpha no less.  And it might...just MIGHT be geared towards financial and critical success rather than satisfying those Doomsday Prepper boners who just want to dig a 1st person bunker and rub one out to their giant wall of bean cans and badly damaged canteens.

Edited by WierdBeard
  • Like 3

Yet nobody blinks an eye at TeamSpeak?  How R/L zombie apoc is it to have communication with some guy 200km away without a radio?  Where are the cries to make SA shutdown if it senses you using 3rd party commo software?  In for a realism penny, in for a realism pound. 

Would love that, but it's never gonna happen. It's actually a form of hacking to me to some extent but I don't think modern gamers can survive without Teamspeak/Mumble/etc :)

Hopefully they'll put in a working radio system however, so that people actually playing core DayZ can communicate over long distances.

Also please don't mix clear game abuses like Server Hopping/Combat logging with other discussions, it's unbecoming...

Edited by Mutonizer