Spesago

Discourage career bandits

i think there should be more penalties to being a bandit.

The reason being, people that kill you for the tin of beans you are carrying are likely or a weapon you might have, thats fine. but people that just jump from server to server after raiding the NW airfield for top end gear killing people that have nothing are the actions of people that are detatched from reality (in this case by it being a video game but in reality by being a psychopath) as such extreme paranoia and delusions are not unexpected.

The standalone game should have a lot of non lethal options for robbing people without killing, so why should a game about realism and survival allow penalty free killing? in real life killing someone has real mental consequences.

some negatives i thought of for the bandits to represent their lack of humanity and likely unhinged nature:

Detatchment:

Due to lack of attatchment to humans the line between the living and the undead begins to blur

sometimes zombies will be rendered as humans with or without gear, and sometimes players will be rendered with zombie skin. (client side only)

Paranoia:

Due to the lack of empathy you have exhibited you find concepts such as trust harder to deal with than you used to. now you are just waiting for the next attempt to stab you in the back.

When another player is close by with a weapon drawn but out of sight the player will hear an attack sound, if the nearby player has a gun out then the bandit will hear a gun shot zip by as if the player just took a shot and missed, if the other player has a melee weapon out they will hear the sound of them swinging at them. these sounds are client side only

Extreme Paranoia:

You cant trust anyone or anything, there are people hunting for you and you can be attacked at any second!

If sitting in one spot too long a bandit my hear sounds of a player sneaking up behind them, when they turn to look where the sounds are coming from there is a 10% chance of a player being rendered with a gun pointed at them.

their symptoms can can keep progressing till they eventually get killed. for example if they keep having phantom players sneak up on them they will either shoot at nothing wasting ammo and giving away their position or they could ignore it going "la la la your not real!" just to be killed by the bandit that snuck up on THEM!

to clarify:

1) i acknowledge PVP is an important aspect, i think killing in self defence even preemptively should count minimaly against humanity.

2) these symptoms represent mental components of survival, after all retaining your sanity is a part of survival, needless killing goes against that.

3) players can rob you and leave you for dead without actually killing a player so this should not count against humanity or at least not much.

4) the only pvpers this should affect are the people that get the good gear then pick on new players and people just starting over. this isnt PVP this is bullying/ Player VS fish in a barrel

• Like 8

Wow,we never had THAT thread before EVER.

And the ideas are new and original as well!

Please just answer in other threads please.

I think the game already has a great way to discourage career bandits, its the bullet in your chamber ;)

• Like 4

Why should being a bandit be discouraged at all?

Why must there be that type of social engineering in what is supposted to be an open world sandbox game?

What would you say if people started saying that PvE should be discouraged?  Being "friendly" should be discouraged? 

Why dont you just play your game the way you want to and let others do the same?

• Like 6

I can't remember if the last thread about insanity was today or yesterday...

Why can't people just use the damn search function?...

• Like 2

I do kind of like the ideas apart from the one where another play is nearby and you hear a noise...mainly because that gives away that another player is nearby! Yes the insanity thing has been suggested lots before but I think these ideas are better than most :) Not that I am for punishing bandits really, I just think it would be funny to see someone tripping out and shooting at thin air!

Edited by Timmymachine109

IMO it shouldn't be "how do we punish the bandit playstyle".

It should be "how can we make being a friendly player more appealing" to even things out a bit.

• Like 3

IMO it shouldn't be "how do we punish the bandit playstyle".

It should be "how can we make being a friendly player more appealing" to even things out a bit.

I agree but there isnt much that can be done that doesnt give an unfair advantage (not a bad thing imo but leads to headaches)

could be something simple of if a player has high humanity, let them keep one melee weapon on ther next life, or they start with a map and compass.

then again maybe give them a bandage other ability that degrades a selected item of clothing (representing tearing a strip off their shirt to bind someones wounds rather than destroying a whole shirt to do it)

generally, those are wonderful, immersive suggestions. but  - as a medic carebear - i am against dictating or punishing a certain playstyle. the asshattery of vile sociopaths is countered by the unconditional love of enlightened humanists like me, and while murderous dickheads draw their satisfaction from killing others, i draw it from handing out transfusions and can openers. it wouldnt feel as good if everybody was a samaritan now, would it? also, every drama needs the potential redemption. i would like to think that evildoers can change into lambs on a moments notice if they so choose

also, the fourth point of your clarification leaves me shaking my head, as there is no way to track motivation behind the actions of a player, and thus discern between punishable and legitimate actions.

Edited by e47

Implying that all murderers have paranoia. lol. empty can for your idea.  :emptycan:

Sorry OP but this isn't Amnesia meets the ZA, If you want to get an idea as to where the SA will be going look at the Mod and its features, Some stuff in there might not be carried over or can't be carried over but its the general way its headed.

If your having problems with bandits, Either join them or clan up and play the game as a team.

also, the fourth point of your clarification leaves me shaking my head, as there is no way to track motivation behind the actions of a player, and thus discern between punishable and legitimate actions.

hahaa dude obviously most of da dudes out there just wanna pop a cap in yo ass and ur tryin to like philosophize why they do that ur dum

• Like 1

They're all sociopaths. Deal with it. They do what they do because there are no consequences at all. Hell, if you go toe to toe with these guys they'll just combat log off to another server and circle jerk with their friends til they feel better.

Anyway, we will have the tools to deal with them but not til later. Private servers, private db, and these guys can go shoot themselves. They sure as hell won't be playing on any of my servers.

Stupidest idea ever. OP probably crys when he steps on ants...

Something this reminded me of that I thought was funny. I'll do my best to not step on ants or any insect really, even if its incredbily awkward to do so - like I imagine anybody would -,and if I can't avoid it I'll probably have an errand thought or two about it later. BUT, in DayZ at the moment, when I see another players character - which has a person attached to it at the other end lets remember - I'll instantly drop them and have forgotten about the whole interaction before I've even collected the spaghetti/beans/rice from their bags... 

Just seems a bit odd when I think about it lol.

The easiest way to define between the two types of killing is:

1) a clean kill is when they have a gun ready and are aimed towards you. if they dont have a weapon or have not attacked you first then you should have to shout a warning that they can hear before firing. with enough of a delay to allow for comprehension. if they turn towards you then you can assume self defence and kill freely, if you shout to get down on the ground and they dont then you can kill freely, if they have killed another player recently and it wasnt a clean kill then you can kill freely.

if you are severly hungry/thirsty and there is no food or drink nearby you can kill but it will still cost SOME humanity

2) a dirty kill is one where the other player is unarmed, or has a weapon that cant be considered a threat, if you give an order and they comply and oyu still kill them its a dirty kill, if they have a weapon but are not pointing it at you and have not attacked you then its a dirty kill.

Any time a kill is not plausibly self defence then it is a dirty kill, the methods i mentioned are all things the game can track.

I think the game already has a great way to discourage career bandits, its the bullet in your chamber ;)

So killing other people will discourage bandits ? Sure

I really want something that would make a bandit look different from other people like skin or bandit mask. It will fix many problems. People with bandit skin will always try to kill other people, so a bandit will have a really hard time finding a friendly survivor, becuase people wouldn't even want to talk with a bandit. they would kill him on sight because they know he's bad. Survivors with normal skin/hero skin will be more likely "accepted" by other survivors (ofc people with normal skin will still kill other normal skin players, we can't fix that). So if you're a bandit and you're asking for help, blood, people will shoot you in the face. 

It worked in the mod, people liked it, nobody was saying it was unrealistic or something, everyone was happy, bandits were killing people, heroes were killing bandits, good community

Edited by Gdaddy22

It worked in the mod, people liked it, nobody was saying it was unrealistic or something, everyone was happy, bandits were killing people, heroes were killing bandits, good community

Not really. It actually just gave bandits an excuse to be bandits (since they could no longer hide their misdeeds and therefore resorted to killing everyone), gave survivors a "cool skin" to kill people for, and regular survivors KoS'd each other for gear and protection all the time. It didn't change anything about how people interacted in the mod. You are seriously over glorifying that feature.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I'm starting to think all these "Punish bandits" threads are made by alt accounts of just the same handful of guys that keep getting shut down in other threads. They are all so similar. Seems like nothing but trolling now.

• Like 1