Zedicologist

Blood VS Saline.

Do you guys think the amount of health or blood you receive should be raised a little bit after a transfusion?

I mean you have to find the bags, which are fairly common.  Next you need to find a donor either willingly or force someone to donate.  When you take blood from someone it turns your screen pretty grey.  So whats the point of helping your friend out, if it puts you in the same state.  

Next you need to find your characters blood type and test the donor for hi/her blood type.  Thus you need a blood tester which is rare as hell, but im sure will become a lot more common later on in the game, surely.

But a saline bag restores almost all health/blood and is fairly simple to find and use.

So blood transfusions at this point are kinda a last resort thing.  Do you guys think this is suppose to be like that.

I personally think that the amount of blood/health you get from a transfusion should be up to par with the saline bag.

Your thoughts...

At the moment it's completely unbalanced.

Saline bags return full blood levels, blood bags only about 20%

This will most likely change

EDIT: Just saw you'd already mentioned that - so yeah - I agree :)

Edited by phlOgistOn

I think they should make the saline bags ware off. It's not real blood anyway. This would make blood bags a bit more sought after.

• Like 1

i never find anything to even build a blood transfusion.

but atm there is no reason to use bloodbags rather than saline.

saline is very common and has no disadvantages.

i always have at least three saline transfusions with me.

I have not done enough testing on them but have heard from a few people that the saline does wear off. If that is not the case then I think it will be the case. A blood bag "should" give you 100% blood, but then what is stopping your friend from taking a bag of your own blood and giving it right back to you? I think maybe if you lose 10% (total blood) when you donate and gain 33% (total blood) it would be ok. Then at least you would need 3 blood bags to get it done. And make it so one player can't donate more than 2 bags with having medical side effects, so you can't farm yourself on the spot to get to full blood.

• Like 1

Iv kit and blood kit in every med kit. :thumbsup:

That is pretty much how it works IRL so I'm fine with keeping it the way it is. No balancing needed.

I have no idea why anyone would use blood now... You have to find a donor of the right type, which means finding 2 blood testing kits, along with a blood bag and IV starter kit. Saline is just 2 items and restores health to full, whereas blood bags only give you 1000. Blood bags are pretty redundant imo, unless you cannot find any saline, or if they make it so you can do it to yourself.

Edited by Musketeer

I have no idea why anyone would use blood now... You have to find a donor of the right type, which means finding 2 blood testing kits, along with a blood bag and IV starter kit. Saline is just 2 items and restores health to full, whereas blood bags only give you 1000. Blood bags are pretty redundant imo, unless you cannot find any saline, or if they make it so you can do it to yourself.

If you're lucky enough to find one of your group has o- blood then you can just use him to fill up all your blood bags and can use them on anyone... but you gotta give him lots of time to regenerate in between donations.

If you're lucky enough to find one of your group has o- blood then you can just use him to fill up all your blood bags and can use them on anyone... but you gotta give him lots of time to regenerate in between donations.

Exactly. It would be easier to find a couple of bags of saline in Elektro and Cherno than to find a blood testing kit and take blood from someone.

That is pretty much how it works IRL so I'm fine with keeping it the way it is. No balancing needed.

That is not how it is IRL. You can just live off of saline. All saline is for is to keep your volume up, it is a temporary fix.

• Like 1

If they changed the name of saline to blood and changed it from white to red and didnt change the item itself suddenly it would make people happy. Why does a functionality have to have a specific name?

Treat Saline bags as "full Blood bags" and blood bags as "partial blood bags" and it's fine.

The way it is now, Blood bags return only as much as you drew from someone. You drain 20% blood, you gain 20% blood. There is no balancing this or people would just draw blood from the wounded target thats at about half and give the blood back to suddenly have more blood?

Just read the word "saline" as blood and pretend its in a white bag and not clear.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't know what's the point of blood bags atm. They wanted to created that whole advanced mechanic for transfusions and after that they just added the old ones with just other name which makes it even more unauthentic.

If they changed the name of saline to blood and changed it from white to red and didnt change the item itself suddenly it would make people happy. Why does a functionality have to have a specific name?

Treat Saline bags as "full Blood bags" and blood bags as "partial blood bags" and it's fine.

The way it is now, Blood bags return only as much as you drew from someone. You drain 20% blood, you gain 20% blood. There is no balancing this or people would just draw blood from the wounded target thats at about half and give the blood back to suddenly have more blood?

Just read the word "saline" as blood and pretend its in a white bag and not clear.

You have my rotten kiwi!

Blood products (here we are talking about suspended red blood cells) are useful when your haemoglobin is low and further dilution (e.g. with IV saline) is dangerous. In world of DayZ, this would either be rapidly because of IV saline administration or delayed, after 'internal transfusion' where fluid moves into the blood stream to compensate for reduced circulating volume.

In terms of game mechanics you could have down sides to repeat saline administration for a patient who is bleeding (decreased exercise tolerance, chest pain, unconsciousness). If 'blood' is beefed up with IV saline, there should be a regeneration mechanic to restore red blood cells as they are produced by bone marrow post-bleed (depending on nutritional status).

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 1

All saline is for is to keep your volume up, it is a temporary fix.

That's pretty much all you need to do. Normal human blood can be diluted quite a bit before it becomes life threatening.

If your patient will soon be enjoying a nice hospital bed in Germany there may be benefits to whole blood transfusion [1], but in the world of DayZ if they are bad enough that whole blood is going to make a difference they probably aren't going to last long without a surgeon anyway.

It's not uncommon for MDs responsible for well-equipped wilderness expeditions to pack half a dozen liters of saline, but despite their much easier portability, I've never heard of one packing blood typing and collection kits. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in some situations.

With all of the above being said, nothing about the blood/saline bagging -> health regeneration system has much basis in reality so it doesn't really matter. I guess I just like the idea that there are multiple paths to reaching a goal and some of them are long, convoluted, and ultimately pointless. Kind of like life. Besides, everybody likes to collect things and I'm sure once persistent stashes are added some creative psycopath will start filling his with blood type cards from his victims.

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18594261

I think they need to implement a way to administer a saline drip yourself. You can do it IRL so why not in the game?

I think they need to implement a way to administer a saline drip yourself. You can do it IRL so why not in the game?

I believe it is one of the ways they are artificially trying to encourage team play rather than solo KOS does it work not really but i believe thats the point (even though as you state its not realistic well unless your unconcious that is lol ) saline should help far less than it does and it should wear off its a stop gap for the bodies natural healing and should be in game to something to tide you over till eating drinking and time does the real healing.

Perhaps some ill affects should be added to saline as in reduced running ability blured vision when looking down gun to simulate hard to concentrate when ya wounded as hell just been given saline to help you heal (but as it stands now ya right and ready to rock with a fully fit player....

I misread this as "Blood vs Saltines," and only came in to figure out why you thought crackers would be a viable blood substitute.

I am leaving disappointed.  

• Like 1

I thought that blood transfusions were a 12 second process restoring 1,000 blood per second.... ? And that salines only restored roughly 9,000, or your character to 9,000 of 12,000??

I thought that blood transfusions were a 12 second process restoring 1,000 blood per second.... ? And that salines only restored roughly 9,000, or your character to 9,000 of 12,000??

I honestly don't think it has been tested that well yet. Need some subjects.

@heiduk my point is that IRL saline is not great than blood. Even if you make a case for them being equal, this game has them as better according to some people, which should not be. Especially when you take this being a game into account and the fact that blood is a lot harder to use so should come with some type of reward for doing so. Also the people on those expiditions take saline because it won't go bad, isn't bound by type, is cheaper and it is only a stop gap until they can get medivac'd out and get some real treatment. I flew on medivac helo's for five years and never carried blood with us for many of those same reasons.

• Like 2

I believe it is one of the ways they are artificially trying to encourage team play rather than solo KOS does it work not really but i believe thats the point (even though as you state its not realistic well unless your unconcious that is lol ) saline should help far less than it does and it should wear off its a stop gap for the bodies natural healing and should be in game to something to tide you over till eating drinking and time does the real healing.

Perhaps some ill affects should be added to saline as in reduced running ability blured vision when looking down gun to simulate hard to concentrate when ya wounded as hell just been given saline to help you heal (but as it stands now ya right and ready to rock with a fully fit player....

I hope they do. I understand this is an alpha game, and I am excited to watch it progress.

Taking blood from one person and directly transfusing it into another is not the same as transfusing blood products in a controlled medical setting (and would be potentially hazardous even with the same ABO and Rhesus group typing. Aside from screening for viruses, donated blood is processed to separate it into different products. Blood products are also leukodepleted (white blood cells taken out) to avoid other immune reactions. There are also other antibody-based typing systems (e.g. Kell, Kidd) that can lead to hemolysis (but not as severe as I recall).

Or find a bandit with O- and keep them permanently restrained and used as a blood cow.

At least..that's the idea.

Reducing blood given by saline, reducing spawn rate of saline, and increasing spawn rate of blood test kits (possibly include them in medkits) would make it a bit better imo.

To be honest from an authenticity point of view I'd ditch the blood bag idea and just use saline for the purposes of the game.