Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

I'd really like to hear some definitive answers on this. I got my a thread locked today because I was asking about whether it was legal to use a macro for autorun. I posted the macro (not knowing that it was against forum rules to do so) and was redirected here. It's not going to allow me to AFK. That's a great way to die (running right into enemy players, running off a cliff, etc.). It would just help the joints in my fingers not get as strained over long play sessions. I get that this is an "anti-game" or whatever you want to call it, but I don't see why the control scheme can't be a tad more ergonomic considering the amount of holding "W" that you currently have to do to get anywhere or do anything.

This is the first time I'v ever looked into macros and I don't support cheating. I just want to know if I'm in danger of getting banned for what amounts to a small customization for comfort, no different really than rebinding keys or changing my FOV. Can we at least get some kind of confirmation one way or the other?

I'd really like to hear some definitive answers on this. I got my a thread locked today because I was asking about whether it was legal to use a macro for autorun. I posted the macro (not knowing that it was against forum rules to do so) and was redirected here. It's not going to allow me to AFK. That's a great way to die (running right into enemy players, running off a cliff, etc.). It would just help the joints in my fingers not get as strained over long play sessions. I get that this is an "anti-game" or whatever you want to call it, but I don't see why the control scheme can't be a tad more ergonomic considering the amount of holding "W" that you currently have to do to get anywhere or do anything.

This is the first time I'v ever looked into macros and I don't support cheating. I just want to know if I'm in danger of getting banned for what amounts to a small customization for comfort, no different really than rebinding keys or changing my FOV. Can we at least get some kind of confirmation one way or the other?

There is fundamentally no difference between using macro software and using a programmable keyboard; the latter's use can neither be detected nor prevented. Furthermore, to my knowledge there are as yet no terms of service in place and so it would be outrageous to get your license revoked for having a tool like autohotkey running whilst dayz/battleye were active without being expressly forbidden to do so by an authorotitive representative of Bohemia Interactive.

To wit, go ahead and run your autorun macro until you hear otherwise or, more likely, they finally get around to giving us this missing control mechanism.

Fair enough. The script runs through the LUA API that Logitech uses for the software that they bundle with all their gaming peripherals. I simply modified the activation characteristics from "hold" to "toggle". Whether they can detect it or not is really kind of secondary to me though. In the spirit of the game and out of respect for both the devs and my fellow gamers, I don't want to do something that the devs consider to be cheating.

yeah, there are like a billion posts between this and the OP, & surely a zillion people have already said this...  but...

just make a toggle W macro & feggin fuhget about it!

You start adding auto run keys to the control set and players are gonna forget what computers do &  start demanding gamepad support... :blink:

Edited by sushimaster

Game lacks an auto run button, but since I am in a good mood. I got an easter egg for ya'll.

Shift + W and pull your keyboard connection out and in. Voila.

Have fun. 

Edited by JohnyBravo

Wish it worked on a laptop. I gots me a little trick I do using the steam overlay and an old credit card, real mcguyver stuff.

In the beginning i was using 2 bottle caps and a leatherman, mcguyver hacks works aswell. ;)