SgtStiffler

Fix for AMD FX-8350?

Hey guys,

I know it's in its alpha stage, but I can't seem to even play the game at all. Even with very low settings I can barely sustain 30FPS. I've tried the config settings and the 8 core command on Steam's boot options - none of which have worked. Is there any way I can boost performance with AMD processors? I've tried turning everything down with no luck. If there isn't, it'll take ages before I can play the game...

I'm playing it on an old Phenom II quad core at 4Ghz, it runs plenty above 30fps. What gpu have you got? Must be something not quite right somewhere because that processor should run it easily. 

Got  a AMD FX-8120 8 core @4Ghz and getting poor performance-CPU utilization. Getting average of 30fps, goes up to 50+ in woods and as low as 18-20fps in major citys. Even small towns its at like 25-30fps. I know AMD processors isn't exactly top of the line but i'm getting around 80% usage on one core and like 10-20% on the rest.

Hey guys,

I know it's in its alpha stage, but I can't seem to even play the game at all. Even with very low settings I can barely sustain 30FPS. I've tried the config settings and the 8 core command on Steam's boot options - none of which have worked. Is there any way I can boost performance with AMD processors? I've tried turning everything down with no luck. If there isn't, it'll take ages before I can play the game...

Know it sucks, have been experiencing the same. You can see my findings and my perfomance in this thread:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159972-dayz-amd-vs-intel/#entry1606304

Got  a AMD FX-8120 8 core @4Ghz and getting poor performance-CPU utilization. Getting average of 30fps, goes up to 50+ in woods and as low as 18-20fps in major citys. Even small towns its at like 25-30fps. I know AMD processors isn't exactly top of the line but i'm getting around 80% usage on one core and like 10-20% on the rest.

You must be doing something odd. Had 90% load on all 8 cores on my FX-8350. Still crap perfomance tho.

Those AMD cpu's are actually pretty powerfull. You just need good software to take advantage of it. Dayz sa is based on a very poorly optimized engine and sadly this wil always be the case. People wil flame me for this but im sure these performance issues will never get fixed. They would need to rewrite the engine wich isnt going to happen.

You must be doing something odd. Had 90% load on all 8 cores on my FX-8350. Still crap perfomance tho.

I've got the FX-8350 as well (+ GTX 770) and on 1280*720 at everything low I still only get around 40-50 ish in the woods.

And I also have that problem that core0 does all the work and the other cores dont seem to do much. My overall usage stays around 30%, which isnt good cos I think i could get more fps if only my cpu would use more of its power.

Did you OC or something to get all cores working an equal amount?

Try switching some settings (object detail especially) to normal instead of low/ultra low. This will shift some work to your gpu(s) and take the load off your cpu. For example, I just tested this out in Cherno while looking at the city and fps went from 30-ish on the lowest object detail to 50-ish with it on normal.

2600K@4.8 and 2 GTX 680s in SLI

• Like 1

Would help if you told us your GPU as well, considering that's a vital part of gaming. And maybe how much RAM you have.

The fix to your bad frame rate is to throw your AMD CPU out and buy an Intel one. Works 100% of the time.

There is no multithreading in this game, and AMD comes nowhere close to later generation Intel CPUs in terms of single-core performance.

• Like 1

The fix to your bad frame rate is to throw your AMD CPU out and buy an Intel one. Works 100% of the time.

There is no multithreading in this game, and AMD comes nowhere close to later generation Intel CPUs in terms of single-core performance.

So true, but in this case even Intel is struggling with this ancient engine

i53570k 4ghz

7950 OC

SSD

Horrible fps lag in towns.

Im glad the Dice dont have this mentality

Instead of asking the customers to throw out their cpus,they have instead have opted to optimize the game/s for those cpus/gpus.

Johan Andersson discusses AMD's revolutionary Mantle API

So true, but in this case even Intel is struggling with this ancient engine

Yep, the scripting engine in Real Virtuality is horrible, basically a glorified string parser from 1992...

Im glad the Dice dont have this mentality

Instead of asking the customers to throw out their cpus,they have instead have opted to optimize the game/s for those cpus/gpus.

Frostbite was written from the scratch with multi-core support in mind though. It's 10 years younger than RV is.

I'm sure Bohemia have all the intentions to properly multi-thread the engine, perhaps some of all the money they've made on SA can be used to accomplish that goal.

Edited by Tansien

Yep, the scripting engine in Real Virtuality is horrible, basically a glorified string parser from 1992...

Frostbite was written from the scratch with multi-core support in mind though. It's 10 years younger than RV is.

I'm sure Bohemia have all the intentions to properly multi-thread the engine, perhaps some of all the money they've made on SA can be used to accomplish that goal.

I think Arma 6 will have multi-core support and then my old phenom ll x 4 might be finally be utilized if its not landfill by then.

• Like 1

i had an 8350 and sold it and bought the i7 3770k for arma2 and dayz and many others.. sadly 8350 was absolutely crap for this game specially it being poorly optimised or should i say unoptimised….  when i had the i7 3770k i was nailing 50 tp 60fps in the cities and 120 to 130 in the forest mind you u i did also have a gtx 780 oc edition...

I'm currently using an AMD Phenom II x6 1055t with 8GB Gskill 1600 Ram all combined with my new OC R9 270X VaporX.

When I'm in towns like cherno and big towns I cant get out of 30 fps with low settings too...

The fact that the game can't use all cores it's not an AMD fault, Phenom II and FX series are some of the greatest Multicore CPU made at a reasonable price.

I'm running an AMD FX-8150 @ 4.2 GHz & GTX 560 Ti. I'm getting roughly the same FPS as melvindorf, but as this is camparible to FPS in ArmA II & III which used various versions of the RV engine, I don't see this as an issue.

As has been stated in other FPS threads, you aren't ever going to get an equivalent FPS from the RV engine as with, say, the Crysis engine. The RV engine is doing far more than just handing off data to the GPUs. So lower your FPS expectations a little and find some settings that compromise between looks and playability you can live with, and just get in game and play.

@Tansien

AMD vs. Intel isn't doing anybody any favours. The differences in performance between the two and not statistically significant in any real world situation or when tested in anything like a double-blinded bias-controlled test. So changing from AMD to Intel is not going to be the panacea you suggest it is.

@AussieBobby

Mantle wouldn't help here. Its a different API, to be sure, but even if you believe the stated claim of a 45% speed increase from their PR department, you'd still only be looking at an 8~9 FPS increase in towns, IF that speed increase is even applicable within the RV engine, which I doubt. It would also mean completely rewritting the engine to accomodate it, as it is stated by AMD themselves, this API is an alternative to DirectX/OpenGL. It also means no nVidia cards will work with it, since it is designed to directly access the AMD GPUs. Moot point, anyway. Mantle isn't out in the wild yet.

Having no particular issues with an FX 8350 here.

@Tansien

AMD vs. Intel isn't doing anybody any favours. The differences in performance between the two and not statistically significant in any real world situation or when tested in anything like a double-blinded bias-controlled test. So changing from AMD to Intel is not going to be the panacea you suggest it is.

I wouldn't say TWICE the performance per core and lower power usage is "insignificant".

In this engine, that performance really means a whole lot of FPS. AMD just does not have the single-thread juice to match Intel.

Check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html for example. You have to scroll down a depressingly long way before you find your first AMD.

My PC:

AMD FX9590 CPU @ 5.5GHz

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro Series 32GB Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit Geforce GTX Titan 6GB

DayZ sits on a Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD

I lag even at low settings in the city's. The difference between Very High and Low is maybe 2 - 5 FPS difference, I go from solid 60+ FPS while in the woods with my GPU usage at 56%, to 20-30 FPS with GPU usage at 23% in cities.

I was able to push a little more FPS outa DayZ with this launch line in steam.

-nosplash -noPause -world=ChernarusPlus -cpuCount=8 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=6144

Remember to MATCH this to your system or this line will do one of two things, crash or lower FPS.

i have AMD 8350 4Gghz, 16gb Ram, 128gb SSD as boot drive and a 2Tb HDD as stortage and games with a GTX Titan (now dead being replaced by a GTX 780 Ti) i got steady 60+ FPS everywhere no slowdowns whatsoever. must of been lucky

I have AMD as well!  Do I want an intel i7? yes. Do I have more important things to spend $300 on? Yes. Truth is not everybody has a money tree in their backyard. Stop bashing AMD and go bash noobs in DayZ. Seriously by making comments like that you are doing nothing but wasting my time and everybody else's.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't say TWICE the performance per core and lower power usage is "insignificant".

In this engine, that performance really means a whole lot of FPS. AMD just does not have the single-thread juice to match Intel.

Check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html for example. You have to scroll down a depressingly long way before you find your first AMD.

Again most of us on this thread has an AMD cpu. If you have an intel, GOOD FOR YOU! You have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more money than I do! I would rather use $300 on something important.... Like I said earlier not everybody has a money tree :) I am 15 and cant get a job where I live because I am too young. Little income = AMD :)