scubaman3d

[SA]WeaponZ Survey

Thanks everyone - I got tons of responses from this poll (almost 10,000!) and the community preferences for each category were are all very clear to me.  I have thought about sharing these data but I see mostly drawbacks with this - the only benefit being to satisfy people's curiosity.

Let me explain - 

There are a small number of weapons either in planning phase, in development, or finished, awaiting animations/configging.  However, according to the results of the poll, while the items in progress are items the wider community has demonstrated it does want, it does not want them most of all.  I was surprised, for example, to find (and I'll use this example since the double barrel shotgun has been made public) that people had a 2:1 preference for a pump action shotgun over the double barrel (full size and sawed off). 

However, at this point it is unreasonable to drop everything we're doing or have planned for the double barrel shotty and start working again on the Remington 870 (we have already shown one in progress at Gamescom, if I'm not mistaken).  Therefore, I'm afraid that if I do release the results and it does not appear that we are implementing the exact wishes in the same timetable suggested by the results of the poll, people will become resentful. On the other hand, if we do adopt a 'govern-by-poll' style, so to speak, we are exposing the development of our project to the 'whims of men', in keeping with the analogy.  

Therefore, the results of the poll have given me a clear understanding of the direction the community would like to move but it may be some time (weeks/months) before we can allow these data to influence our decisions.  Perhaps I'll post the results publicly at that time.

• Like 8

You didn´t mention the nuclear sub i wanted, therefore i must assume it´s not being considered, and start a campaign of rage posts to get it in. Besides shotguns are so unrealistic, everyone knows that when moon aligns with mars, there shouldn´t be any shotties left in chernarus, even more so since they´re in the sphere of jupiter and therefore nuclear weapons are to be expected.

On a serious note, it´s very nice to get stuff like this, don´t let the over expecters and nay sayers affect you too much and keep on doing great thigns.

Thanks everyone - I got tons of responses from this poll (almost 10,000!) and the community preferences for each category were are all very clear to me.  I have thought about sharing these data but I see mostly drawbacks with this - the only benefit being to satisfy people's curiosity.

Let me explain - 

There are a small number of weapons either in planning phase, in development, or finished, awaiting animations/configging.  However, according to the results of the poll, while the items in progress are items the wider community has demonstrated it does want, it does not want them most of all.  I was surprised, for example, to find (and I'll use this example since the double barrel shotgun has been made public) that people had a 2:1 preference for a pump action shotgun over the double barrel (full size and sawed off). 

However, at this point it is unreasonable to drop everything we're doing or have planned for the double barrel shotty and start working again on the Remington 870 (we have already shown one in progress at Gamescom, if I'm not mistaken).  Therefore, I'm afraid that if I do release the results and it does not appear that we are implementing the exact wishes in the same timetable suggested by the results of the poll, people will become resentful. On the other hand, if we do adopt a 'govern-by-poll' style, so to speak, we are exposing the development of our project to the 'whims of men', in keeping with the analogy.  

Therefore, the results of the poll have given me a clear understanding of the direction the community would like to move but it may be some time (weeks/months) before we can allow these data to influence our decisions.  Perhaps I'll post the results publicly at that time.

I think the AK series, the double barreled, under-over, etc, the old military weapons, shouldn't have been on the survey because THOSE ARE MUST HAVE it is really obvious for me. WTF DAYZ WITHOUT AK? WTF IS DAYZ WITHOUT THE DOUBLE BARRELED?? 

I hope you get my point

It doesn't really fit the setting, but I wouldn't mind seeing an M1 Garand.

Kinda sad to see this poll closed after like 2 days.

I, and many others, even did not get to vote since we were bussy with family stuff and such :-(.

Oh well, I hope we will see Sa vz.58 and some hunting CZ rifle....and tons of Russian goodies.

When Im thinking about it....I would love to have pistol and Bow / Crossbow combo!!

I'm almost extatic thinking about all the possibilities that DayZ SA has change to fullfill !!! Its overwhelming!

• Like 1

I wanted to vote but it says the poll is over. Please put a shotgun i the game, I have been to all but 1 military base and have yet to find a shotgun. I was hording shotgun ammo for a long time in hopes of finding one. Idk why we would get ammo spawns for guns that don't exist. :/

Brass knuckles please. Best weapon in the game only made better. Nothing beats fists. Except a motorcycle helmet, which is absolutely ridiculous since I have yet to see even a single rotted out motorcycle anywhere in chernarus. Why do these people have motorcycle helmets in their homes? It should at least reduce visibility. Put on an inexpensive full face bike helmet and tell me how well you can see. I'd like to see you try and shoulder a rifle and look down the sights on it too.

Let me explain - 

This is because double-barrel shotguns, while cool and very post-apoc chic, are extremely ineffective compared to any other weapons one might find, and they will therefore be the kind of weapon one picks up only because there's nothing else. They're nice flavor items.. but once people start to get geared up they will unfortunately not see much use.

Pump-action and semi-auto shotguns might actually have a place as primary weapons, though. Especially in cities, and with good amounts of both buckshot and slugs.

The exception would be if you added a hacksaw, the possibility to use it to 'craft' sawn-off shotguns, and make the sawn-off take four slots like the handguns do. It would be attractive to carry around a small shotgun for urban use in addition to a rifle for use in the woods and fields.

Things like single shot rifles, shotguns, and generally non military grade weapons would be the most interesting IMO.

X10

Fully auto assault rifles should be RARE RARE RARE.

The point is to survice. This is a SHTF scenario. Not a Rambo Commando gay ass frag arena....there is no faster way to lose your player base than to arm everyone with a fully auto assault rifle...lol

Edited by BigCountry
  • Like 1

My idea would be not to make Military weapons rare but put in some sort of maintenance into the game then make the military weapons harder to maintain but the civilian/crafted weapons easy to maintain that way u could have the fun of having a nice shiny Sniper/Machine Gun but it wont last long or even mess up on the first round u fire that way people may think yeah that weapon is better but the chances of it going wrong are high so ill take my trusty shotgun over the nice shiny M4. This would keep both the sides of the argument happy IMO. Also once the base building mechanic is in the game id like to see fitted weapons on tower kinda like the flamethrower and Balista type weapons u see in Mad Max 2 that would be cool also could look into being able to retro fit weapons like that to vehicles who wouldn't want a pickup truck with a massive crossbow on the back. 

Idk why we would get ammo spawns for guns that don't exist. :/

Because it's alpher. The game is not even close to being finished. Get used to seeing shit that has no purpose, like gas stoves, and firewood. It'll all be implemented eventually.

Did the C96 get considered.

It can even use 9mm and clips or 7.63x25mm.

And can have a special stock that doubles as a holster <3

It is my one desire.

Because it's alpher. The game is not even close to being finished. Get used to seeing shit that has no purpose, like gas stoves, and firewood. It'll all be implemented eventually.

Gas stoves look cool though.

The exception would be if you added a hacksaw, the possibility to use it to 'craft' sawn-off shotguns, and make the sawn-off take four slots like the handguns do. It would be attractive to carry around a small shotgun for urban use in addition to a rifle for use in the woods and fields.

This is a fantastic idea. I really love it. Full size shotgun has more range but takes up the rifle slot, sawn off takes up four slots but has less range. Sawn off of course should have excellent power up close.

Aw the poll is already over? That was quick!

Hoping the community didn't vote for ultra modern weapons *crosses fingers*

Sawn off of course should have excellent power up close.

Yes, but you get the same thing with full-length barrels like most any shotgun... and it needs much more recoil, and much less accuracy due to the missing stock.

Yes, but you get the same thing with full-length barrels like most any shotgun... and it needs much more recoil, and much less accuracy due to the missing stock.

But a more than halved carry space, maybe usable as a sidearm in inventory or slung across your back?

Sawed off should be useable as a sidearm, inventory slots being 4x6. It would make the Izh have some use for high-level players. I think it would be great if you have a Mosin, and then switch to the Sawed-off when your looting a barracks, or something like that.

Did the C96 get considered.
It can even use 9mm and clips or 7.63x25mm.
And can have a special stock that doubles as a holster <3
It is my one desire.

If it is implemented, (which i hope, but am doubtful it will) and the Tokarev ( Which i'm sure will be added) is in, it should be in 7.63, but able to use 7.62 tokarev with much less accuracy. If there is no tokarev, Red 9 all the way.

It should be a VERY accurate pistol, especially with the Stock fitted. 

Herew a little-known fact. The stock is hollow and the gun can fit inside, so its basically a wooden holster. It would have enough room to store slimmer pistols like the Makarov, tokarev and C96, or some ammo. That would be cool, if you could have another pistol in it while its on the gun, or keep the C96 in it while its in your inven, saving space.

• Like 1

I posted my votes and i hope they DO add back in the 1866 but make it a rifle like it is chambered in 45-70 govt.

We need at least 2-3 more assault rifles, at least one more sniper rifle, one LMG and one more pistol. Also I really want the AK, why isn't it available to us? We've seen it in rockets youtube videos... and make silencers work ffs... oh and leg pistol holsters would also be nice.

Edited by raynor009

Here is a cool suggestion that would be realistically found in civilian hands.

Ruger m77/357

tn_1-tfb1.jpg

tn_2-tfb.jpg

The 77/357 is an effective tool for hunting medium-sized game – especially in heavy cover. Bullet velocities of .357 Magnum ammunition increase significantly when fired out of the 77/357′s 18 1/2″ cold hammer-forged barrel. In testing, Hornady® 140 grain FTX® loads were clocked at over 1820 feet per second. Furthermore, the flush-fit, five-shot rotary magazine does not protrude at the rifle’s balance point and, unlike tube-fed rifles, the Ruger 77/357 can be readily loaded and unloaded

Good way to make the .357 magnum gets a little more use than whats in game currently. 

Edited by gibonez

Sako6.5_2.jpg

Let the fins play!, Sako Bavarian in 6.5mm swede