Freyed

You should have just let him eat the rice..

Once you get the basics down this game (so far) is pretty basic. Gear up, get supplies and learn the layout of the map. The choices you make afterwards is what actually defines the game for you. Do you want to roam forever alone way up north and live by yourself all the time or do you want to initiate contact by travelling to the more populated areas.

My first few days I played up north out of fear of being shot over my can of soda and splitting axe, as it had happened about 5 times before. I decided to distance myself so I could get used to the controls without having to worry too much. Once I figured most of the stuff out I went hunting for military loot. I died a few times to fully geared players just appearing beside me and shooting instantly. After going through the cycle a few times I was able to gear my character up when it dawned on me....is this it? What do I do now? This is where you make the game your own. Do you run around killing everyone you see, try to initiate contact instead, help people, make friends, or just collect food and water and move around by yourself. I decided to try and help people.

I went to the coast where I knew the new players would be to try to find and help them. Maybe save them some of the frustration I went through from being slaughtered over and over again for really no gain to the opposing player. I seen what I though was a zombie at first as he was just standing there, sort of bobbing. As I got closer I realized it was a player. I watched him from a distance for a bit not wanting to scare him. I could tell he was trying to figure out how the inventory system worked. I went up to him and raised my hand, asked if he was okay. He said yes, thanks. He explained he was new and was trying to figure stuff out. I explained as long as he didn't attack me I wouldn't hurt him. I dropped him a bottle of water, a bag of rice, and a loaded pistol on the ground. It was actually quite funny to watch. He would eat some rice then throw the 75% bag on the ground, pick up the water and drink it, throw the bottle on the ground. Repeat. All the while the loaded gun is just sitting there on the ground. It made me realize I had truly found a first time spawn. We talked for a bit, me on my mic and him through in-game text. He thanked me up and down and then I decided I was going to move on to help the next player. As I was typing my steamID out in chat in case he would like to add me to play, or answer anything it happened...

3 fully armed players ran into the building and just blew him up instantly. No warning, nothing. I was already out of the building so I don't think they even saw me. I got about 3 buildings down then I said to myself fuck this. I crept back to the building we were in and the 3 players were standing over the body of my new friend. I couldn't really make out what they were saying over voice chat. I emptied my entire clip into them and then a second clip into their bodies just to make sure. All 3 of them lost everything over a bag of rice and a bottle of water. Worth it.

I'm writing this in hopes that the dead player reads it. He probably thinks I killed him as it happened so fast. GeneralTragedy if you do see this feel free to add Freyed1 on steam. I still have the bottle of water and rice if you need it. To the 3 players that died, thank you for the backpack and extra clips. They will serve me well in my attempts to help new players until the inevitable happens. I either get an axe to the head for my efforts, or the bandits get the drop on me. 

Have fun everyone.

• Like 35

Nearly every day I find myself wishing there were more players like you. And not just the days I die with my hand raised greeting a player I just met.

Edited by TheKindred

I had the same idea as you, but the server FPS was slow, the three people I dropped stuff for where gone before they picked up their stuff.

Then one tried punching me after I fed him.

I found myself at the cargo ship and fell off :)

Edited by Guest

I glad to see there are other people trying to help others.... I always run the moment I suspect there are other players around....

I was with this guy running easterly out of Elektro, he really didn't trust me standing 100m away in a treeline.

I'm not sure what he was thinking, I had a gun so if I had wanted to I would've shot him.

Whenever you're playing Standalone again, if you press "Shift + Tab" and select "View All Players"

you can find out who your friend was, if you wanted to add him xD

P shows all players.

Does shift tab show steam players?

добрый пожаловать в DayZ форум

awesome story man, and welcome to the DayZ forums

if you are every looking for someone to roll with or a clan to join feel free to send me a friend invite, Steam ID is AOD_Samiam_Jr

Nearly every day I find myself wishing there were more players like you. And not just the days I die with my hand raised greeting a player I just met.

That's why I don't raise my hand anymore.

Excellent first post, here's the link to your friend also; In-game names are the same as Steam names ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198005723752

Don't consider yourself a bandit or a KoS' either, you're one of the good guys ;)

I consider myself and my group to be bandit hunters, defending ourselves against those who shoot first.

I just need to get the right structure and communications going for tactical gameplay, before we move down Balota with snipers and ground troops to clear out all the bandits and help the fresh spawns.

I hope you don't mind if I add you on steam.

I don't mind at all. Always looking to meet new people. Thanks for the help on finding players. Ya Norris, it lets you see steam players you've encountered and on which game. I didn't know that either. Nice feature.

Once you get the basics down this game (so far) is pretty basic. Gear up, get supplies and learn the layout of the map. The choices you make afterwards is what actually defines the game for you. Do you want to roam forever alone way up north and live by yourself all the time or do you want to initiate contact by travelling to the more populated areas.

My first few days I played up north out of fear of being shot over my can of soda and splitting axe, as it had happened about 5 times before. I decided to distance myself so I could get used to the controls without having to worry too much. Once I figured most of the stuff out I went hunting for military loot. I died a few times to fully geared players just appearing beside me and shooting instantly. After going through the cycle a few times I was able to gear my character up when it dawned on me....is this it? What do I do now? This is where you make the game your own. Do you run around killing everyone you see, try to initiate contact instead, help people, make friends, or just collect food and water and move around by yourself. I decided to try and help people.

I went to the coast where I knew the new players would be to try to find and help them. Maybe save them some of the frustration I went through from being slaughtered over and over again for really no gain to the opposing player. I seen what I though was a zombie at first as he was just standing there, sort of bobbing. As I got closer I realized it was a player. I watched him from a distance for a bit not wanting to scare him. I could tell he was trying to figure out how the inventory system worked. I went up to him and raised my hand, asked if he was okay. He said yes, thanks. He explained he was new and was trying to figure stuff out. I explained as long as he didn't attack me I wouldn't hurt him. I dropped him a bottle of water, a bag of rice, and a loaded pistol on the ground. It was actually quite funny to watch. He would eat some rice then throw the 75% bag on the ground, pick up the water and drink it, throw the bottle on the ground. Repeat. All the while the loaded gun is just sitting there on the ground. It made me realize I had truly found a first time spawn. We talked for a bit, me on my mic and him through in-game text. He thanked me up and down and then I decided I was going to move on to help the next player. As I was typing my steamID out in chat in case he would like to add me to play, or answer anything it happened...

3 fully armed players ran into the building and just blew him up instantly. No warning, nothing. I was already out of the building so I don't think they even saw me. I got about 3 buildings down then I said to myself fuck this. I crept back to the building we were in and the 3 players were standing over the body of my new friend. I couldn't really make out what they were saying over voice chat. I emptied my entire clip into them and then a second clip into their bodies just to make sure. All 3 of them lost everything over a bag of rice and a bottle of water. Worth it.

I'm writing this in hopes that the dead player reads it. He probably thinks I killed him as it happened so fast. GeneralTragedy if you do see this feel free to add Freyed1 on steam. I still have the bottle of water and rice if you need it. To the 3 players that died, thank you for the backpack and extra clips. They will serve me well in my attempts to help new players until the inevitable happens. I either get an axe to the head for my efforts, or the bandits get the drop on me. 

Have fun everyone.

Very good story .. Exactly what this game is about.

YOUr STORIES WOOo