prix

DayZ. AMD vs INTEL

Intel I7 4770K @ 4.2GHZ, Nvidia GTX 780, H100I pcu cooler, Asus Maximus VI HERO mother board,  16 gigs of vengeance RAM 60+ FPS on high in towns.  

btw SSD wont help with FPS just makes you load in quicker.

having an SSD will improve your FPS, some HDD's cannot keep up with loading textures or data. I know this from experience.

I Upgraded the old HD that i had in my system to a solid state and got about a 7-8 fps increase overall. Its not much, but the game ran much smoother and did not twitch as much.

Edited by Hoj0

I've benchmarked BF4 on the AMD Setup before I took it apart. And did it now on the i5 setup.

Battlefield 4

AMD setup: Avg: 79.588 - Min: 47 - Max: 121

Intel Setup: Avg: 77.085 - Min: 51 - Max: 134

It's not that the FX-8350 is a crap CPU, or that the i5 is so superior. It's just that Arma 2/3, DayZ wont play well with AMD. Has nothing to do with AMD and Dice partnership since Intel will keep just as high frames if not higher in BF4 aswell.

Yeah the RV engine is quite ''special'' on this matter.

The FX chips just lag behind with instructions per cycle, that's where intel excel and is why AMD chips tend to go to their knees near towns.

I mean, that game is such a mess, EA is being sued by their shareholders for pushing it out the door and selling stock before hand, knowing it was going to be a dud.

I hope EA burns to the ground its way too long overdue already if I'm honest. Dice should prevail though.

Intel are currently the better CPU's for gaming.  If you're happy with your AMD CPU, then thats fine :) but Intel are better.  Just an fyi for anyone in denial.

As for GPU's,  nVidia are definitely going to pull ahead of AMD in the next couple of months with gsync on the horizon.  Nothing that AMD can come up with will be able to provide a better gaming experience than what gsync can give.

• Like 2

im running amd 8150 clocked at 4.8ghz and im running on very high everything is smooth for me i get steady 60 fps and my gpu is gtx 480x2 sli

im running amd 8150 clocked at 4.8ghz and im running on very high everything is smooth for me i get steady 60 fps and my gpu is gtx 480x2 sli

Steady 60 FPS? No one has that. Please use facts in this thread and not estimations.

Steady 60 FPS? No one has that. Please use facts in this thread and not estimations.

For some reason people think if they lie about there fps it will come true or something. I see it all the time on this forum, "yeah 60fps in Cherno no problem...." - Bullshit

Arma engine does not play well with hyper threading, turn that off in bios and you will get some more frames out of your Intel rig

This is true, but we are talking small earnings in FPS here :) It DOES performe better, but not that much that I would throw away HT for everything else just for that minimum increase in DayZ.

But good tip non the less :)

Will Sir accept screenshots showing Afterburner stats?

This is true, but we are talking small earnings in FPS here :) It DOES performe better, but not that much that I would throw away HT for everything else just for that minimum increase in DayZ.

But good tip non the less :)

Is there anything that does use HT?

• Like 1

Im using an AMD cpu with a Nvidia Graphics Card and im not seeing any problems.

What startup parameters do you use for the amd setup? i've seen elsewhere that the RV engine doesn't recognise the newer shared module design of the AMD FX chips correctly, so setting -cpuCount=4 for the fx8000 series can give quite a performance boost.

Also its worth noting in the OP that you are comparing a £134 amd cpu to a £174 intel cpu so that people can make a fair conclusion.

Id say AMD GPUs are bad for gaming.

But i have to say the FX 8350 is a great CPU.

Just my thoughts.....

Will Sir accept screenshots showing Afterburner stats?

I will accept a benchmark log from fraps when you run throu cherno.

Benchmark should not be done in 640x480 with lowest possible settings on empty server.

Is there anything that does use HT?

It's good for video/audio encoding and decoding.

Also good when running VMware. Good for much more.

What startup parameters do you use for the amd setup? i've seen elsewhere that the RV engine doesn't recognise the newer shared module design of the AMD FX chips correctly, so setting -cpuCount=4 for the fx8000 series can give quite a performance boost.

Also its worth noting in the OP that you are comparing a £134 amd cpu to a £174 intel cpu so that people can make a fair conclusion.

Yes, I know the i5 cost tiny bit more. But that cost is minimal imo.

Check the price difference just now, it's 22 GBP.

Never used FRAPS. Doesn't it cause a huge performance hit?

Will get an Afterburner log.

It is ridiculous performance hog, I've always used the - bandicam.com which is lesser evil   

It is ridiculous performance hog, I've always used the - bandicam.com which is lesser evil   

I use Mirillis Action! best recorder i have ever used.

Resolution: 2560x1440

Objects/Terrain: Normal

Clouds/Shadows: Off

AA: Normal, everything else on "Rendering" on lowest/off

Textures: High

Rout benchmarked:

2zg5lc9.jpg

Fraps log:

2014-01-04 00:42:42 - DayZ

Frames: 19632 - Time: 364875ms - Avg: 53.805 - Min: 32 - Max: 102

Edited by prix

So where is that log?

But that is not in Cherno :)

I know you saw my FPS in the other thread where that little rat didn't think you could get 60 FPS in the wild. I'm not saying that. You can get stable 60 FPS in wilderness. No doubt, i have it.

But now it was in Cherno. Where you can't get 60 FPS.

And btw, I know where the locations are. Been playing the mod for too long.

And, since I saw your hardware in that other thread aswell. And It's equal too mine in ways. I know you can't run throu cherno with 60 FPS stable.

So lets just drop it. Thanks for sharing data for wilderness tho :)

Edited by prix

Intel are currently the better CPU's for gaming.  If you're happy with your AMD CPU, then thats fine :) but Intel are better.  Just an fyi for anyone in denial.

As for GPU's,  nVidia are definitely going to pull ahead of AMD in the next couple of months with gsync on the horizon.  Nothing that AMD can come up with will be able to provide a better gaming experience than what gsync can give.

You know that G-Sync will require special hardware in the monitor. So you will need too get a new monitor for G-Sync, and since the hardware is in the monitor AMD will be able too use G-Sync aswell.

Tho, AMD cards of newer generations all have built in support for variable refresh rate. Wich is just what G-Sync does. I'm guessing Nvidia cards do not have this, thats why it's a hardware solution, but will also be backwards compatible etc working with all cards when the new hardware is in the screen.

So, no. G-Sync will not make any difference what so ever.