Sign in to follow this  
lord3n

Has anyone tried to start a group of friendlies? to combat KOS players?

just thinking quickly, the KOS is being created by players, so has anyone thought about creating a group of friendly players who work together and roll together to fight off the KOS players?

kinda like the guardian angles do?

i just think that the game mechanics should stay the same, and that players themselves should develop a way to stay safe. in numbers. if possible. maybe it wont work, i dunno.

but was thinking of a way to get the good guys organized, so they dont feel the need to go over to the dark side. maybe you cant cure KOS entirely, but for the server you play on regularly, you could make an impact.

when good men do nothing, evil prevails. and all that.

any ideas?

• Like 2

I've been trying to help everyone I meet for 2 days, just to show people that KoS isn't necessary, I think I'm alone though

• Like 1

I, while personally would not participate in a group as such, always loved seeing groups that would band together to protect one another. Like the people who would police a city, protecting the looters, killing zombies, fending off bandits, etc. Community creation is what makes sandbox games so incredible. The other thing I like is these groups tend to draw bandits in to attack them, it's just all win in every direction you go.

But it requires leadership, basically a group of people to get the ball rolling, normally with force, and letting others tag along as you go.

• Like 1

I've been trying to help everyone I meet for 2 days, just to show people that KoS isn't necessary, I think I'm alone though

i know for a fact you arnt alone, i think the like minded people just need to know someone is really trying to get something together.

maybe we could start a thread and people who play in the same regions can join up.

im sure a lot of people who KOS are doing it because there is no alternative to stay safe.

I, while personally would not participate in a group as such, always loved seeing groups that would band together to protect one another. Like the people who would police a city, protecting the looters, killing zombies, fending off bandits, etc. Community creation is what makes sandbox games so incredible. The other thing I like is these groups tend to draw bandits in to attack them, it's just all win in every direction you go.

But it requires leadership, basically a group of people to get the ball rolling, normally with force, and letting others tag along as you go.

i agree. i think the KOS can be handled by the players, in a similar way to how they would handle it in real life.

the group would def need structure, leaders, chain of command.

The problem with KoS is that it exists not only because it's an only way to survive, but because there is nothing else to do in the game after you find weapons. 

Edited by Gdaddy22

my problem is people don't listen... Last night was meeting a bambi friend in Balota and i see someone at night with flashlight on in a barrack's. Yell out and type "step out of the barracks slowly with your hands up by hitting f2 i WILL not shoot you jus want to be safe". Ignored me then came running out with a pistol and i think accidently ran right at me (was night i was prone). So i had to put him down i wasn't even going to rob him was going to give him some basic supplies if he needed them. Craziest part was the pistol didn't even have ammo so i still kinda feel bad.

my problem is people don't listen... Last night was meeting a bambi friend in Balota and i see someone at night with flashlight on in a barrack's. Yell out and type "step out of the barracks slowly with your hands up by hitting f2 i WILL not shoot you jus want to be safe". Ignored me then came running out with a pistol and i think accidently ran right at me (was night i was prone). So i had to put him down i wasn't even going to rob him was going to give him some basic supplies if he needed them. Craziest part was the pistol didn't even have ammo so i still kinda feel bad.

An unknown person ran towards you with a weapon. You neutralized the threat. If you were a cop IRL that would certainly be a justified shooting.

People who don't listen, or can't listen (as in no VOIP sound), are a threat to you and should be treated as such. Will innocent players get killed because of that? Sure, but that is on them not you.

Edited by Knightmare

An unknown person ran towards you with a weapon. You neutralized the threat. If you were a cop IRL that would certainly be a justified shooting.

People who don't listen, or can't listen (as in no VOIP sound), are a threat to you and should be treated as such. Will innocent players get killed because of that? Sure, but that is on them not you.

Yeah only Kinda felt bad...

• Like 1

It's a good idea, promotes good game play and is constructive so go for it.   I'm not sure how you plan to identify KOS'ers however without anyone actually having to die or get shot first though.

While i don't KOS myself, i have nothing against people who do as it add's good tension in game play.

You are not alone I plan on trying to restart the old tradition of the On Call combat medics. 

We should start a steam group and people can post there locations then we can come to the rescue. 

Have to watch for trolls that are trying to ambush though.

The problem with KoS is that it exists not only because it's an only way to survive, but because there is nothing else to do in the game after you find weapons. 

Just because the devs didn't program in any 'endgame', doesn't mean there is nothing to do. In fact, this thread is basically describing an endgame, one created by players. That is the kind of endgame we should have in DayZ, a player-driven endgame. You just need to think outside the box a little.

Edited by Clumzy
  • Like 2

Isn't the whole question a bit paradoxal?

You wan't to kill the KoS players, yet you become the same thing :?

And how are you going to determine who is a KoS player, since you don't know the name of the person that maybe killed you the last time.

Or are you going to kill the KoS players to restore balance? But what balance are you looking for? Because killing zombies doesn't get you anywhere, we can not rebuild the world or make our own town and rebuild civilisation. The only thing we have left to kill is each other apart from the Z's

what you need to do is form a pack and move together, a solo KoS player will not attack a pack and as a pack you are stronger than a lone wolf.

And the only thing you can do then is not fire your weapon on sight, live and let live apart from the Z's

For sure, yesterday we had a dedicated medic in our team. It's so cool to move as a group of six.

Edited by MCRoadkill

I don't shoot on sight unless I beleive the person is a definite threat, but I always help the bambi's.

I want to get a sort of police group going though to try and combat bandits that camp spawns, and to assist new players.

I think it would be really fun.

When I started playing the SA, I came at it with the same mind set that I did when I first played the mod, and when I started playing rust.  I always start out pretty friendly, never KOS yet always be suspicious of other players.  It only takes me about a day to realize that being friendly will get you fucking killed.  Even if you come across a fresh spawn and decide to spare him, he'll probably come up behind you and start punching you when you turn your back.  Or if you are a fresh spawn, they will come at you with an axe and chase you for eternity because they have nothing better to do.  People act like fucking idiots in this game.  One time I was in cherno, about an hour in on a new character and I happened to have a mosin with like 20 rounds of ammo.  I ran into two guys with axes, I didn't shoot on sight, but they kept creeping closer to me, I kept aiming at them and telling them to back the fuck off.  They'd back up  a bit, I'd turn around to leave them I see them trying to come at me from behind, this happened a few times until I said fuck it and shot one of them in the gut, he started bleeding profusely and his buddy ran like a bitch, I thought that was enough to show them I'm not playing.   Every person I've run into that has a gun has opened fire on me instantly, whether I saw them first or not. It doesn't matter if I'm completely unarmed.  Also I've been playing with a buddy ,and it's too often that one of us dies and the other has to run all the way back and meet up because of people KOS.  So needless to say, from now on we'll be killing anyone whose gear even looks threatening if we are able to.

Edit: One day I was feeling really jaded after being killed a few times, I had an m4 in one of the towns on the east coast, maybe Berezino.  I was walking towards one of the hospital buildings and I realize someone is behind me.  I sprint to the building, up the stairs, and to the balcony and aim at him.  He instantly puts his hands on his head and surrenders.  I pause for a few seconds to contemplate, and put two in his chest.  See what this game has done to me already?

Edited by beardedcap

Just because the devs didn't program in any 'endgame', doesn't mean there is nothing to do. In fact, this thread is basically describing an endgame, one created by players. That is the kind of endgame we should have in DayZ, a player-driven endgame. You just need to think outside the box a little.

No, the endgame is either to kill anything that moves for no reason or try to help other people. When you help other people they get to an endgame and they have the same choice, and the boring circle between killing people and helping people goes forever. There is really nothing else to do, like focusing on your character and making it better, and better over a very long time. Also I wish  our character's life would have greater value, because right now it's like I'm having some items everyone else already has and that are all over the map, If I die, I don't care, I'll just pick them up again. We need something that would make our character special and that would allow us to put lots of hard work into our character. 

Imagination won't help, I can pretend that I'm saving the world but I'm not so... 

Edited by Gdaddy22

The difficulty of remaining unseen increases severely - almost exponentially - with each additional person to a group. With that in mind: 

1 well positioned (and skilled) player >>>>>>>> a squad of  - let's say -  five players of mixed skill level maintaining a high profile in a large city. 

A single sniper can wreak havoc on a small crew merely by understanding zeroing and displacing along a tree line. 

So no, I have not formed lasting bonds, only brief, peaceful encounters. When I help people, I do it with a long reach, or in a way that involves leaving. When I team up, I do so with only one other person, and for the most part we work separately while staying in communication. 

I would never, ever agree to meet up with more than one player I didn't know IRL. 

No, the endgame is either to kill anything that moves for no reason or try to help other people. When you help other people they get to an endgame and they have the same choice, and the boring circle between killing people and helping people goes forever. There is really nothing else to do, like focusing on your character and making him better, and better over a very long time. Also I wish we our character's live would have greater value, because right now it's like I'm having some items everyone else already has and that are all over the map, If I die, I don't care, I'll just pick them up again. We need something that would make our character special and that would allow us to put lots of hard work into our character. 

Imagination won't help, I can pretend that I'm saving the world but I'm not so... 

I know it's annoying to say this, but it's an Alpha.  When all of the items and gear are in the gaming, it will feel like there is a lot more purpose.  Eventually you'll be able to have camps, you can stockpile gear and whatnot.  You'll be able to search for a lot more things that are more rare.

im just tossing things right out of my ass, but...

what if groups formed and were dedicated to protecting one town, or one section of a city. they could be a known presence in one area, that over time built a reputation, where noobs could find their way in, and bandits might stay away from.

its like real life, gangs are going to form simply out of a need for protection. now, if those gangs are good guys, or bad guys, well, thats up to the leaders decisions. their actions and reputations will follow them. you could have one of the deadliest towns, or one of the safest.

if the servers are going to have 40-150 players on them, its going to be busy. i would think larger groups would be formed.

if say, a group took control of cherno, they can simply make that their home. assign existing houses since we can go in them, see if rocket can program in a way to put storage boxes in places where they dont disappear and are locked (we can make picking locks a skill to be worked on over time and improved) then people can just have a house, put in storage, gather some lights and what not and breath some life back into an existing town. all player driven. we just need rocket to give us the tools to make it happen.

you can own one of the deadliest towns, or one of the safest. all up to you. but so long as you stay on the same server, you can own that area. get rocket to give us tools to paint over walls, and paint signs. warning or welcoming.

imagine running up to a town where a whole bunch of houses are lit up inside from lamps, they have a cache of food, water and supplies? imagine sneaking into that town, picking locks on chests and taking items? or getting a group to ambush and over run them?

any thoughts?

You're playing to show people KoS isn't necessary, but if nobody KoS'd then what you're doing would be completely useless and you would basically be left with "nothing to do," as you say.

People KoS'ing gives you a purpose in the game, by your own admission. Why would you want to get rid of it? That's completely self-defeating.

If everyone's a Hero, nobody is.