penumbra59

playing alone

Hi all

I'm very interested in a zombie survival game like dayZ but as I do like to play alone most of the time (yes i know , kind of a loner, but hey, every apocaliptic world has it's loners.. )

So my question  :  is it doable in dayZ or will I not be able to survive for at least a couple of days :p

or is there another game that is better suited for my kind of play ?  thinking of TDL or 7DTD...  but of course I would prefer dayz

thanks in advance

penumbra59

You can still play alone, yet you need to be more careful and recon cities more. I always play alone and gear up before meeting up with my squad. Avoid people and be as stealthy as possible 

You can play alone but I find it depressing. Plus my headset switches off if no noise has been made by me for 2-3 minutes. So I find myself having to make some sort of noise on my own... sad times. 

Edited by Victus Mortuus

I find it easier to survive for extended periods of time on my own to be honest.

• Like 4

I find it easier to survive for extended periods of time on my own to be honest.

Very true. I find myself getting a bit pissed off when my friends friend joins to play with us. "Oh great! another mouth to feed!". :D

• Like 1

Lone wolf gameplay is very suitable to DayZ, I'm playing alone 90% of time.

You just need to be more careful as nobody will watch your 5 and save you smart ass or take a bullet for you :D .

So play it the safe way, avoid all contact and spend some time in bushs/trees lines to observe a place before going into it.

Been playing alone since launch of the Alpha.

Have died by the hands of others 3 times.

Survived now for 2 days, have pretty good gear. Have met a few people in this current life, all have been reasonable, no shooting on site.

Of course lone survival is difficult, especially if you come across a group, but hey that is part of the game experience for me. One of the things that I will not be doing is death logging to survive or server hop. I am playing this game how it is supposed to be player, as a survival game.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

I had the best times while playing alone. The feeling of being on your very own adds to the immersion IMO. Just yesterday I encountered 2 other survivors which were heavily armed and the fact of taking both down on my own was greatly rewarding.

Plus I find myself learning more about how to survive most effectively since there's nobody else to blame than myself. Playing in groups can be great fun too, tho :)

Playing alone is doable. It's a bit more tense as you are always looking over your shoulder, and need to be a bit more careful without a numbers advantage. If your thing is surviving as long as possible, avoid big cities and hit up small towns. Avoid towns with doors already open, and stay inside the treeline / off main roads when traveling. If you're more interested in getting geared up as quickly as possible, rush cherno/elektro when you spawn straight into Zelengorsk + Green Mountain military loot. You may die, but the whole ordeal will take an hour to two hours tops depending where you start - high risk, high reward.

Playing alone is definitly doable. Playing in a group frightens of random single bandits, but you need to share equipment.

Hi all

I'm very interested in a zombie survival game like dayZ but as I do like to play alone most of the time (yes i know , kind of a loner, but hey, every apocaliptic world has it's loners.. )

So my question  :  is it doable in dayZ or will I not be able to survive for at least a couple of days :P

or is there another game that is better suited for my kind of play ?  thinking of TDL or 7DTD...  but of course I would prefer dayz

thanks in advance

penumbra59

Playing alone is very doable. That was how I originally played, but now I work with a select few.  The first person I started working with was another lone wolf.  Really two lone wolves getting together works very well.  They understand each others mentality, both self sufficient, approach situations very similarly, but with a two person team things don't get out of hand and you can easily disappear into the woods.

I found lone playing enjoyable. You are always on guard and most of the time avoiding other people. It gets more intense in my opinion...

When you play in a party with skype or teamspeak it's more caotic you don't "listen" to the enviroment that much, you are more rushing around and feel like in a pack.

My greates sutisfaction i had in dayz, was when after searching with very bad luck i finally made it to turn on a fireplace and cook my meat...i was satisfied! Even if i only had a makarov and 1 clip...that wasn't for zombies but just for people encounters.

In my opinion, what this game should be is more survival and less military stuff...something like 99% of civil weapons like hunting shotguns and pistols + melee and 1% of very very very rare military weapons! Would make this whole thing a superb experience!

• Like 1

I always play alone, i don't even team up if i meet nice people offering me this "opportunity"... i sometimes help other players if they are sympathic, but afterwards i go on alone.. it gives a.. deeper feeling of the game than playing together with other... if you got a group of a few well geared people, it just gets too easy and kind of boring.

at the moment i could play alone for a long period of time, if i won't encounter well geared KoS players everytime :/ thats the only contra

Thanks for the tips and opinions already  Looks like this could be my next purchase.   Just one more noob question, i did try to find some more info on crafting and such but i did not find very much..  Is there a decent part of crafting in the game also ?  That's the only other thing that makes me doubt between dayz and the dead linger.

Please convince me :)

Playing alone works just fine.

I prefer to roam with a friend, as you have more options when have 1-2 more people around. (People to watch your back, stand more chance against bandits, etc)

IMO Small Group > Alone > Big Group when it comes to Day Z.

Playing in a group of more than two-three can often slow things down to a grind. I often played the mod alone and did very well. You're at an disadvantage, when you get yourself in trouble, getting sick, hurt or attacked, but on the other hand you set your own pace and it's easier to get around undetected.

Since you're only relying on yourself, you have to be willing to learn on your own, because one of the advantages of playing in a group is the information sharing. There's a lot to learn and it's important to learn to increase your survival skills.

Edited by Dallas

At this point (Alpha is Alpha) there are exactly 2 items to be crafted. (rags, made by tearing up a shirt, and something for a broken leg which I don't even know how to make)
So I guess the crafting isn't a dealmaker yet :P But you can be sure that more crafting will follow :)

I have been playing alone since launch mostly (that really sounds depressing lol!) mainly because I'm using this alpha period to familiarise myself with the map and features etc.. Although I would like to group up with some people so I can loot towns and take down bad guys with some back-up. If you're in the UK feel free to add me, may not be on loads though as in my last year at uni and it's busy at the mo. I use a mic etc...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nick85