lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

Will third person be removed in SA or will we still have to handle this via server splitting still?

If third person isn't going away, will we finally get standardized difficulty levels?

i.e.

-Rookie: third person on + w/e other aids needed

-Veteran: third person off - other aids

I'd do more of an in depth discussion but I think this topic has been argued over long enough anyway.  If Rocket hadn't allowed third person in the first place, this problem wouldn't have existed at all.

• Like 26

It won't be removed due to the simple reason that a massive chunk of this community is dependent on it.

• Like 1

Separate hives.

Anyway, I still believe third person makes its far harder for bandits to get the jump on you which makes it easier for you but harder for them.

The flipside of the coin, it makes it easier for bandits to get a drop on people who refuse to use third.

edit:  Lots of ideas and solutions have been proposed for this.  I strongly suggest everyone search for the various threads and read them for yourselves.  It'll help progress the debate.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 2

I remember saying Mr. R that he would not allow third person, or would somehow limit it to when running and such. I don't mind if it's removed, I like the first person better, makes it easier to shoot and respond to any situation, however I use third person most of the times as it really gives you an advantage at overlooking interiors, places, etcetera. If everyone has access to that advantage I would have a disadvantage by not using it; yet if none were allowed to have an advantage then it would be fair for all. Just like the argument for the gamma trick; while it's there it will be used, there for, people who refuse to use it lose greatly over those who use it.

Edited by LouisK
  • Like 9

Even when 1st person gets implemented... Most people will shoot like this including myself!

Cv8DXMR.gif

because the sensitivity is uneven.

We need to push for a 1:1 mouse ratio  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Edited by Aussie Bogan
  • Like 24

There was an interesting idea proposed a while ago... Basically third person would not render any player or zombie which isn't actually in your line of sight. So periscoping over and around walls with third person wouldn't even be possible. Also moving the third person camera tighter on to the player could help as well.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 15

Separate hives for 1st and 3rd person servers. Make it an option that can be easily searched for in the server list. Personally I prefer first person, but as it stands now you are at a sever disadvantage if you do not use third person.

Oh and third person gives the advantage to everyone yes, but it also removes a good chunk of the suspense and unknown from the game. You easily gain intelligence without having to risk something to gain it.

• Like 5

I thought rocket confirmed awhile back that there would eventually be "hardcore" servers that had features such as first person only?  I may be wrong.  Anyways, I doubt they'll ever completely remove it, but keep your eyes open and I'm sure first person only servers will show up.

• Like 3

I remember saying Mr. R that he would not allow third person, or would somehow limit it to when running and such. I don't mind if it's removed, I like the first person better, makes it easier to shoot and respond to any situation, however I use third person most of the times as it really gives you an advantage at overlooking interiors, places, etcetera. If everyone has access to that advantage I would have a disadvantage by not using it; yet if none were allowed to have an advantage then it would be fair for all. Just like the argument for the gamma trick; while it's there it will be used, there for, people who refuse to use it lose greatly over those who use it.

This pretty much.

• Like 1

There was actually some interesting mod work done recently regarding line of sight and third person.  Here it is:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23768

Personally though I think the mod is more trouble than its worth mostly due to the fact that it is hard to handle cases like interaction with objects and what type of objects should show up and which shouldn't when LoS is broken (the creator did some interesting things with vehicles that I don't necessarily agree with).

I like playing in third person because it's more visually appealing to me. Therefore everyone should be forced to play in third person

• Like 6

Give us separate hives. I'm not dependent on 3p for peering around corners but I am not a fan of any game outside of FPS lobby games that force first person. 

Edited by Aelus
  • Like 1

You really need to prove you can fill up enough servers to justify separate hives.

I just don't understand, why a player, who prefer playing in third person view, would gear up on a third person server and then switch to a first person server to engage in combat. Easiest place to gear up has nothing to do with camera view, but with player count, so night servers and first person servers, would be the preferred servers to gear up on.

You really need to prove you can fill up enough servers to justify separate hives.

I just don't understand, why a player, who prefer playing in third person view, would gear up on a third person server and then switch to a first person server to engage in combat. Easiest place to gear up has nothing to do with camera view, but with player count, so night servers and first person servers, would be the preferred servers to gear up on.

Not the problem. If people want first person servers let them go enjoy unpopulated servers. The rest of us shouldn't be forced into a first person server because they can't handle not being able to camp a corner.

• Like 4

I've been pretty active on the topic in the past. I began to change my mind because of this video by Dslyecxi:

Very interesting food for thought. Especially the fact that FOV in 3rd isn't actually wider; it just affords an extra metre or two of vision due to being behind the player.

It has been a hotbutton issue for many in the past. I think the only way to put it to rest is to have it as a server option. Well... That or everyone promises to buy an Oculus rift when the consumer version comes out. I certainly am.

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 30

I agree, Third Person is as close to cheating as ghosting, hopping, duping, etc as it gets. It really pisses me off. However, I do admit that I myself cheat by looking over walls and around corners and the rest of it. I really wish they would add lights and electricity from the power plants, and forcing everyone to play in the dark. However, there should be 2 Dayz days inside of one RL Day. Evading the night is cheating too. Just has minimal impact.

Edited by ThatOleSerpent

Best solution is to change third person view completely.

Have third person view face the front of your character like so.

skyrim.jpg?w=545&h=435

This would allow people to still see their character in the enviroment and would demonstrate their characters progression through the game. At the same time players can not hide behind rock formations or peek around corners.

Third person is fine. If you give me a game with impeccable sound that lets me hear other people breathing and footsteps, as well as more effective leans and some way to simulate peripheral vision, I'll concede 3rd person removal.

Until then, nah. Third person compensates for the lack of other senses. FPS view is not realistic to human perception. I'm not weirdly limited to viewing a box in front of me in real life. Sure, I can't float above myself either but if someone's running down the street on the other side of a wall to me, I can gauge their relative position and speed just based on sound. The game needs some way to recreate this perception, and right now 3rd person view is the best you can do.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 8

Your use of "cheating" is very loose. Making use of a feature that is available to all players isn't cheating. That said, it is very unrealistic, and if it were removed, I wouldn't complain.

• Like 1

Third person is fine. If you give me a game with impeccable sound that lets me hear other people breathing and footsteps, as well as more effective leans and some way to simulate peripheral vision, I'll concede 3rd person removal.

Until then, nah. Third person compensates for the lack of other senses. FPS view is not realistic to human perception. I'm not weirdly limited to viewing a box in front of me in real life. Sure, I can't float above myself either but if someone's running down the street on the other side of a wall to me, I can gauge their relative position and speed just based on sound. The game needs some way to recreate this perception, and right now 3rd person view is the best you can do.

You have a very easy to use FOV slider now no daam excuses .

There is no place in stand alone for third person. The negatives far outweight the positives.

• Like 11

Dslyecxi clearly added a lot of passion and nice footage, but he really didn't add anything new to the discussion.

I just can't see, how you can remove a feature, that's been part of the gameplay since OFP, since the launch of the mod and now since the launch of the standalone. Whether you like third person or not, it's not only popular, it's also a legit part of the game.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1