etherfreeze

DayZ Item Use Compendium

So one thing I'm loving about this game so far is how many items there are already, and how much potential depth this could offer in the future. The goal of this thread is to compile a list of items and their uses (or intended uses which may not be implemented). I will update this with correct names of everything, just kind of want to get something like this started and see what everyone has discovered so far. I will update the format as well to make it more visually appealing and whatnot. 

tl;dr: tell me stuff and I will add it to this list, and credit you. 

Contributions: FroztyReaper; tommy86; thejokerr; Ynneead; BigMike; Peanuted; Thoric; Golgo82

Edit: Constantly adding stuff in. Thanks for all the contributions everyone. Also going to be messing around with a color coding scheme to make this handier.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Food & Drink [basic Survival]

Canned Food: Recover Hunger and Thirst slightly. Multiple Use. Can be opened with Can Opener (best), Hatchet, Screwdriver, Kitchen Knife, and Bayonet. Hatchet /Screwdriver /Kitchen Knife / Bayonet causes loss of food.

Can of Baked Beans - requires tool to open. 1 slot. 
Can of Spaghetti - requires tool to open. 1 slot. 
Canned Tuna - no tool required to open. 1 slot. 
Canned Sardines - requires tool to open. 1 slot.

Dry Food: Recover Hunger. Seemingly made better by combining with wet ingredients and/or cooking but I have not been able to make this work. Maybe it's not implemented or I'm doing it wrong. 

Dried Milk - "Mix with Water". Can consume dry. 1 inventory slot. 10 uses. (have tried to mix with Water and this and doesn't seem to be implemented). 
Rice - Can consume dry. 2 inventory slots. 10 uses (I'd imagine you will be able to cook this eventually)
Cereal - Can consume dry. 4 inventory slots. (really hope you will be able to mix with water and dry milk!)

Fruit: Recover Hunger (potentially thirst?). Single use. May cause food poisoning if rotten, but still safe if the fruit is damaged. Just make sure it says "fresh". If you are dying of starvation, you can eat some rotten food and risk getting sick. 

Banana - 1 inventory slot. 1 use 
Orange - 1 inventory slot. 1 use
Kiwi - 1 inventory slot. 1 use
Apple - 1 inventory slot. 1 use

Soda: Recover Thirst and Hunger slightly. "Not healthy" (can anyone confirm the repercussions of this?).

Zluta Klasik - Lemon Flavored. 1 use. 
Zluta Kolaloka - 1 use
Zluta Malinovka - Strawberry Flavored. 1 use. 

Water: Recover Thirst. Can be contaminated if you drink pond/stream/lake water. Safe from Wells found in most towns. Purify potentially contaminated water using Water Purification Tablets.

Canteen - stores water. 2 inventory slots.  5 uses.
Water Bottle - stores water. 2 inventory slots.  3 uses.

Utility Items [Advanced Survival; Situational]

General Utility: Basic Items

Can Opener - Open Cans without losing food. Very useful. 1 slot
Disinfectant - Disinfect anything. Useful on rags. Poisonous if consumed. Can force feed to other players to make them sick. Take charcoal tablets to alleviate effects. 2 slots. 
Handcuffs - Handcuff other players. 1 slot. 
Handcuff Keys - Unlock Handcuffs. 1 slot

Power Supplies: Anything used to make something else work

9V Battery - Starting Item. Lick to test charge. Attach to Flashlight, Head Torch, Weapon Flashlight. 1 slot.
Small Gas Canister - Attach to Portable Gas Lamp, Portable Gas Stove. 1 slot
Large Gas Canister - Attach to Portable Gas Lamp, Portable Gas Stove. (Slot #? Is there a medium canister currently? I had one with two slots but can't remember)

Gear for Night Time: All the stuff that will help you survive at night

Flashlight - Everyone starts with one. Attach a 9V Battery, equip to your hands, and press SPACE to raise it (like a weapon). 
Weapon Flashlight - Flashlight that attaches to a weapon. Attach a 9V Battery. Requires Handguard RIS to attach to M4.
Head Torch - A flashlight for your head. Replaces "Head" Clothing. Attach a 9V Battery.
Portable Gas Lamp - Attach Gas Canister and light. Use indoors to light up a building (confirm?), but not useful outdoors. 

Navigation: Figure out where you are and where you are going 

Compass - Find cardinal directions. To use, equip to a hotkey. Press hotkey, press SPACE to raise. Look down and see direction. MUST be in 1st person. 
Map Fragment - Piece of Chernarus Map. Below are tentative map combinations, require further testing and confirmation)

Chernarus NW + Chernarus NE = Chernarus N Map
Chernarus NE + Chernarus SE = Chernarus E Map
Chernarus SE + Chernarus SW = Chernarus S Map
Chernarus NW + Chernarus SW = Chernarus W Map
Chernarus N + Chernarus E + Chernarus W + Chernarus S = Chernarus Map

Cooking: Everything for cooking a meal (not sure if this feature is implemented yet) 

Firewood
Stone
Wood Stick (maybe here or only for Medical - see Splint)
Matchbook - (Have not been able to light a fire with matches and firewood yet? Anything else required?)
Cooking Pot - (Place ingredients inside to cook? Anyone try this?)
Portable Gas Stove - Attach Gas Canister, set down and cook stuff. (Haven't tried this yet)

Medical: Keep yourself healthy. ***CREDIT TO LouisK for a great thread on the health system.*** LINK:  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157188-health-system-what-i-could-figure-out/

Antibiotics - These cover most of bacterial infections and are of moderate effect.
Injection Vial - These have injectable antibiotics most of the times. Effect should be fast.
Syringe - These are used to collect blood samples OR inject antibiotics from the vial.
Bandages - Both the green one and the ones in first aid kids are sterile.

Rags - Rags are non sterile improvised bandages made with shirts.
Painkillers - Used to alleviate the pain in a moderate-low effect.
Charcoal Tabs - Used to absorb poisonous substances in your stomach.
Saline - Saline is used to boost your current blood level. Often works with unconsciousness.
Morphine - Used to alleviate great amounts of pain. Instantly.
Epinephrine - Increases hearth beats, should work for most of unconsciousness cases.
IV Kit - Used to create an intravenous kit along with saline.
Blood Test Kit - Used to know your current blood type.
Blood Bag - It is always empty unless filled with your own or somebody's else blood.
Splints - Used to heal broken bones. Made with wooden sticks and a bandage.
First Aid Kit  - Contains all the elements to provide first aid: two bandages, syringe, IV kit, empty blood bag.
Defibrillator - Used to wake up someone from unconsciousness. Not tested. Can't be used to revive.

???: Use not yet determined. (If you have found use for one of these items let me know!)

Rope
Burlap Sack
Pliers

Clothing [Protection; Defense]

This section is organized by where it can be equipped. You can equip one item from each of the following categories. These items also take up a certain number of slots in your inventory when not equipped.

Head

Radar Cap
Ushanka
Baseball Cap
Beanie
Bandana - can be torn into rags. 2 slots
Motobike Helmet - offers some protection against attacks (confirmation?). 4 slots
Military Helmet (name check for the helmet you find at military bases?)

Eyes

Designer Sunglasses
Aviators

Mouth

Gas Mask - protects against harmful pollutants (use not implemented as far as I know)
Respirator - protect against inhaling harmful dusts, fumes, vapors, or gases (use not implemented as far as I know)

Chest

T-shirt - can be torn into rags. 2 slots.
Hoodie - provides 4 slots. takes up (?) slots.
Raincoat - provides 4 slots. takes up (?) slots.

Chest Auxiliary

Chest Holster - used for carrying a Pistol.
Vest - (confirm name of vest that is currently available, item slots, and how much space it takes up?)

Hands

Working Gloves

Legs

Jeans - provides 4 slots. takes up (?) slots.
Cargo Pants - provides (?) slots. takes up (?) slots.
Hunter Pants - provides 6 slots. takes up (?) slots.

Feet

Athletic Shoes
Jogging Shoes
Wellies
Hiking Boots
Jungle Boots

Weapons - [including every household object you can hit people with, Coming Soon]

Edited by etherfreeze
  • Like 28

I have found apples aswell. And as a side note, rotten food dont allways give you poisoning. I have eaten rotten kiwis as an emergency and was fine. But odds are high to get Foooked on it

I have found apples aswell. And as a side note, rotten food dont allways give you poisoning. I have eaten rotten kiwis as an emergency and was fine. But odds are high to get Foooked on it

Thanks for the info. Yes the lure of eating rotten fruit when you are starving .... it's always made my character sick. Maybe next time I die I'll try and do some extensive testing. and see how often it makes you sick / not. 

• Like 1

stones.Eventually used for making camp fires to cook probably with a wooden stick, matches, and a cooking pot

If you want to attach the weapon flashlight to the M4 you have to find the Handguard RIS. But unfortunately it does not really create much light for me (Yes, I attached the 9V Battery). Can anyone confirm that?

Edited by thejokerr

Also the cereal is Crunchin Crisps Cereal!

Headgear:

Hoxton Mask - A carnival mask popular among the children of Chernarus. Most commonly worn during the end of harvest festivities.

Black Ushanka - A classic Russian hat made from black dyed animal fur or artificial fur with ear flaps to protect against the cold. It is also known as a trooper or trapper's hat.

Rocket Aviators - with oversized tear-shaped lenses and a thin metal frame, this form of protective eyewear, popularized in the late 1960s, will protect the eyes from the sun.

Designer Sunglasses - Made with plastic with a fashionable wrap around design, gray frames, and broad temple arms, this protective eyewear will protect the eyes from the sun.

Edited by Peanuted

The kitchen knife can also be used to open cans (loss of food), Bayonets are suppose to as well (the one time I had one it did not work, may have been glitched)

Thanks for the contributions, 

Also the cereal is Crunchin Crisps Cereal!

Headgear:

Hoxton Mask - A carnival mask popular among the children of Chernarus. Most commonly worn during the end of harvest festivities.

Black Ushanka - A classic Russian hat made from black dyed animal fur or artificial fur with ear flaps to protect against the cold. It is also known as a trooper or trapper's hat.

Rocket Aviators - with oversized tear-shaped lenses and a thin metal frame, this form of protective eyewear, popularized in the late 1960s, will protect the eyes from the sun.

Designer Sunglasses - Made with plastic with a fashionable wrap around design, gray frames, and broad temple arms, this protective eyewear will protect the eyes from the sun.

Will add this in the Clothing section. Can anyone confirm if there is only one brand of cereal. I guess I didn't pay attention to the one box I ate while prone under a table because my inventory was full. ^^

Splitting Axe - Requires about two hits on a zombie's body to kill, one hit to the head. Can also be used to open cans of food but you lose food and durability.

Firefighter Axe - Requires one hit to kill zombies.

The sodas are called: Zluta Klasic Soda & Zluta Kolaloka Soda. Moreover I am pretty sure that you can only drink 3 times of the water bottle (therefore 33% each time) And you should never open cans with the firefighter axe, I usually lose around 50-60% of the content :D

Rice can be used 10 times.

Edited by thejokerr

The sodas are called: Zluta Klasic Soda & Zluta Kolaloka Soda. Moreover I am pretty sure that you can only drink 3 times of the water bottle (therefore 33% each time) And you should never open cans with the firefighter axe, I usually lose around 50-60% of the content :D

Thanks, was just checking my inventory for the names ^^. Also found a "Zluta Malinovka". 

Canteens are 20% a gulp. Water bottles are 33%

Hmm I found two different map fragments as well but could not look at them.

Is there some magic trick to looking at the map?

I'm pretty sure I equiped it and raised it but no luck.

Strange.

Hmm I found two different map fragments as well but could not look at them.

Is there some magic trick to looking at the map?

I'm pretty sure I equiped it and raised it but no luck.

Strange.

Bind to hotkey and use.

On topic: Some clarification for the gas stove - after you add a canister to the stove, you need to place it on the ground, switch it on and only then you can drag the cook pot on top of it.

Doesn't cook anything currently, but it looks cool I guess.

Edited by Thoric

Bind to hotkey and use.

On topic: Some clarification for the gas stove - after you add a canister to the stove, you need to place it on the ground, switch it on and only then you can drag the cook pot on top of it.

Doesn't cook anything currently, but it looks cool I guess.

Thanks, I wanted to try exactly that but never had all the components at one time. . 

Anyone else try the portable gas lamp at night only to be disappointed by the big white ball in front of them that casts no light? :D

Thanks, I wanted to try exactly that but never had all the components at one time. . 

Anyone else try the portable gas lamp at night only to be disappointed by the big white ball in front of them that casts no light? :D

No but I've been carry around all this gas shit and cooking pots for nothing :(

Chernarus Map Parts and Combinations:

Chernarus NW + Chernarus NE = Chernarus N Map

Chernarus NE + Chernarus SE = Chernarus E Map

Chernarus SE + Chernarus SW = Chernarus S Map

Chernarus NW + Chernarus SW = Chernarus W Map

Chernarus N + Chernarus E + Chernarus W + Chernarus S = Chernarus Map

Maps I have found so far came in quarter and half pieces (ie Chernarus NE or SW as well as Chernarus S or E) not sure if complete maps are also in the loot tables. I am also unsure wether you can combine an N Map with an SE map for 3/4 map coverage.

Edited by Golgo82