exomonkeyman

Radios/Walkie Talkie Idea + (Pics)

First off. Walkie Talkie sounds stupid so I'm going to call them Radios.

CAUTION THIS IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Here is my radio idea and concept.

So me myself I'd find it very useful to have radios to communicate in this game. Not many people would use them cause Skype and teamspeak3 is actually a thing but I.d find them super useful. I'd always look for them and keep a free slot for at least 2. So when I meet someone nice I can give him one so we can keep in touch at all times.

Stats.png

How will I talk to my team with them?

Simple. Direct communication: will talk to anyone near you

Radio com: a new chat channel will do the same but it will also activate the radio so you can talk to your team mate or your team mates as more than one radio can all be on the same channel.

Radio%20Com.png

How will they be on my character?

Now this is the cool part. The radio will take 2 slot spaces up and can be put in your hand and then will only work if you get the radio is out or you can drag it over the character and you can clip it on your T-shirt, TAC vest, jumper ect ect that will allow you to use the radio at all times. Make your character look really cool help character development and will also help show if people are potentially in a crew of people. People could wait to see if anyone is talking on the radio.

Radio%20on%20guy.png

Where will I find them?

Military camps, Houses, barns, barracks, airfields they can be found almost anywhere but there not super common but they are far from a rare spawn item. They can be found under beds chairs almost anywhere where radios can fit or stand.

Anything els?

Yes they will be battery powered however the battery can last at MAX 12-24 hours.

So how will the radios actually communicate with each other?

Now this another hard implimentation. Here are my ideas.

1.The radios can communicate via channel. So you can select either channels 1 to 10 some radio channels might even already be oqupied by other radios. You could listen in on there chat.

2. You get 2 radio in your inventory you right click on one and select make prime radio. Will now have a symbol at the top saying A-1. You can now drag the second radio over that one and now that radio will have A-2 above it showing that A is the radio type and the number showing what radio it is. So if you have like 6 different radios going off you can get radios called H-1 and H-2 so no one can tap into your radio unless they get hold of the prime radio also when you goto Radio com chat it will say now talking in Radio Com H-1 ect ect

Set.pngB-1.pngBind%20Radios.png2%20Radios%20B-1%20B-2.png

Why radios so badly?

I believe that they will create some super useful and epic moments

Why I think having radios will make this game even better

1. Will make character creation even better

2. Will show other players that the other player probably has mates on the other end of the radio showing that he has a potencial crew

3. Adds a level of interaction and it will be super useful for roleplay and talking to sayinf that you just seen a guy near elektro

4. Ads for some really fun and good moments where if your mate gets killed they will take his radio and start talking into it to find your on the other end of the radio, or they handcuff him and threaten to kill him if you don't get them weapons or food. And they can do all that through the radio they stole from him

5. It could also be used a distress signal in need of help. Right click your radio and click SOS and it could start doing a ringing sound effect to other radio com's in the area. Or it just be a way set up a trap.

Radio must have the following!

1. Clippable on all clothing and they must be seen on your character

2. Easy chat channels

3. Must have radio style noises when the radio is activated. I.E bleep and a quick static sound that must heard from all players around near you to prove its a radio going off.

4. When your mate talks to you through the radio it must be hearable to anyone near you like if it was a real player. So people can hear your radio if there close just like how direct chat works

Other ideas for radios

Std radio 1,000m range distance "Comes in Blue\Black" smallish size

Police radio. 2,500m range distance "comes in black" big police like radio mediumish antena

Military Radio 3,500m range distance "comes in army green\woodland colour/spray" big military radio big antena

This idea is possible I'm almost certain its what they did in arma 2 takistan life mod with the police.

SOS%20ect%20ect.png

Sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mc-TXP4qs

I really hope rocket/devs could consider the idea. Thanks so much if you read through this SA.

Edited by exomonkeyman
  • Like 16

Great post, would very much hope the proposed radios function in the manner you are suggesting. Would also like to see the addition of terrain based effects on transmit and receive as found in ACRE for example. 

• Like 1

Rocket has planned for radios to be a lot like what you've suggested.  We'll be able to switch to different channels and use them to communicate with anyone else on the server with a radio.  The radio will have a certain amount of distance it can pick up feed.  We will be able to find headsets to use with it.  We can leave it on the ground with the volume up so people walking by could hear what is being played out the radio.  Or we could turn the volume off and keep the mic on so we can hear what is going on where we leave it.  

There's some extra features for the radio also that I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Like 1

I would love to just pick up a radio, turn it on, and here two guys talking about where they left their camp, or something along those lines

Glad people like the idea two. Really glad that rocket is making some very good radios as well (:

I really dig this idea! This would add an entirely new layer to single/team gameplay. I really hope that rocket uses implements some of these ideas into the final game.

I'm a friendly survivor and can't wait till radios are enabled. I would totally try to establish radio contact before entering a new area, or help other making distress calls. Should reduce unintentional KoS as well.

• Like 1

I'm a friendly survivor and can't wait till radios are enabled. I would totally try to establish radio contact before entering a new area, or help other making distress calls. Should reduce unintentional KoS as well.

That's a really good idea. Asking if people are in towns.

Edited by exomonkeyman

Nice idea man i was thinking maybe the radios be different types depending what the are, there's 3 types of radios that operate on different frequency ranges, VHF very high freq, HF high freq, and UHF ultra high like real life each with different ranges as they get comms in different methods so you would need different radios for different areas or situations.

I think it would be cool if they have channels that add to the story behind DayZ like NPC transmissions or mayday recordings, aswell as channels that move frequency so you would have to work to find them that give the coordinates to something like supply drops or caches.

• Like 1

Nice idea man i was thinking maybe the radios be different types depending what the are, there's 3 types of radios that operate on different frequency ranges, VHF very high freq, HF high freq, and UHF ultra high like real life each with different ranges as they get comms in different methods so you would need different radios for different areas or situations.

I think it would be cool if they have channels that add to the story behind DayZ like NPC transmissions or mayday recordings, aswell as channels that move frequency so you would have to work to find them that give the coordinates to something like supply drops or caches.

Really awesome idea. I really like the idea of NPC radios. There could actually do random calls where an NPC would say "We got supply's at NWAirField" or "We gotta chopper down near cherno"

More people would have radios then n_n

Edited by exomonkeyman

Indeed, I'm pretty sure the whole radio concept will be pretty close to what you have suggested here exomonkey.. and its a pretty damn exciting idea :D

• Like 1

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/141731-dayz-standalone-community-radio-station-applications-now-open/

I dont know what is the current status on this but i would like to listen some fallout style radios while exploring chernarus+

Rocket has planned for radios to be a lot like what you've suggested. We will be able to find headsets to use with it.

Radio station idea seem really cool idea/implementation. Good to get some ear buds and start listening to some radio or tunes, then a zombie will lunge at me break the ear buds ill be F$£%! HACKING AT A TREE SAYING "F$&%ING ZOMBIE FREAKS!

But no seriously add earbuds/headphones that would be amazing, you could get the jump on some guy if it looked like there he was listening to music. Or maybe you could hear a SUPER faint sound of some music.

Edited by exomonkeyman

Really like the idea but I think two things should be added. Earpiece and Speaker.

As you said speaking into the radio should be head on direct chat. People should also be able to hear sound coming through your radio in a short vicinity (maybe 75% of direct). An earpiece would prevent anybody else from being able to hear in coming sounds while also reducing the effcts of local sounds on the clarity of incoming messages.

The speaker should have the complete opposite effect. This would allow you to place a radio with a speaker attached on the ground somewhere and communicate with that. You could, for example, leave it at the side of a road while you sit in nearby trees. When someone comes past you could tell them to drop their stuff or you will shoot.

Radios could also be used to advanced crafting. Instead of having satchel charges a person would be able to make an IED and have various ways of blowing them up. One way could be to add a radio to it which would cause it to set off the explosive if the speaker is activated (by incoming sound). Lower quality radios may have electrical faults that may prematurely set off the explosive if the battery is left in.

• Like 1

Should reduce unintentional KoS as well.

Indeed, should make a big difference ! probably one of the most exciting concepts this awesomeness has to offer  :D

Edited by liquidcactus