Mallow88

Mosin vs M4A1

Looking for some healthy debate here. Spent most the afternoon browsing the forums on these two topics, and so far I'm coming up with some pros and cons for both weapons, but I'd love to hear your opinions on the matter as well.

Mosin

Pros

• Greater accuracy
  • Superior range
  • 1 shot kill (verify?)

Cons

• Slow rate of fire
  • Slow reload

M4A1

Pros

• Fully automatic
  • Easy reload
  • Less cumbersome (verify?)
  • Greater customization

Cons

• Poor accuracy > 200m

This is just a rough list put together after PvPing for the last couple days, and browsing the forums. It seems like it's more up to your play style. The m4a1 is probably the better option for close-quarters, urban environments, while the Mosin is your standard sniper I've also heard a lot of crying about the M4 accuracy, so perhaps that might get buffed in a future patch. The main reason I pose this question, is mainly due to the fact that you can't carry two rifles. In the Arma 2 mod, I would simply carry a sniper in my backpack. That seems much less feasible with the standalone, seeing as how much of your inventory is required for other survival related stuff. 

• Like 1

Accuracy is extremely important to me. I like to be able to engage from a safe distance and have never been too great in tight quarters, so I much prefer the Mosin. However if they fixed the M4A1's accuracy, I'd prefer it for semi-automatic firing.

• Like 2

I think so far the best pro i have noticed is that 7.62 ammo is a bit more abundant than 5.56. Most 5.56 ammo i find is only in military areas. I have found 7.62 in every thing from police cars to residential houses. Also since it does not posses a mag it does not take up as much space carrying additional ammo. The downside is i have been unable to figure out how to use the bayonet and i have not found a way to reloading using a hot-key like R.

I don't know what gives but im still being able to hit targets with the m4 400m+ usin a ACOG and up to 400 just fine with the red dots,...i think its just about proning, using the bipod and not being out of breath....and zeroing.....

Mosin

Pros

• 1 shot kill (verify?)

Buddy got attacked yesterday by some guy with an axe and shot him in melee range with a Mosin, then he got the axe in his head and the guy crawled away. Probably no 1 shot in arms/legs, even at melee range.

I don't know what gives but im still being able to hit targets with the m4 400m+ usin a ACOG and up to 400 just fine with the red dots,...i think its just about proning, using the bipod and not being out of breath....and zeroing.....

Hmm, good point. I've tried all of that, except for using the bipod. Suppose the bipod has that big of an impact on accuracy? 

As far as the Mosin being 1-shot, I've only been shot by a Mosin twice and both times my screen instantly went black. There could be many factors involved i.e headshot without a ballistic helmet vs with helmet.

M4 does need its accuracy tweaked a bit. Even with a fully pristine M4 with an ACOG, the shots regularly go wide left/right from prone with a bipod inside even 100m and get worse the longer the distance.

Tested mine earlier on a storage facility up north lying prone on the road at 100m, 200m, and 400m. Zeroing was set to 100m and ranges based on the range guide inside the ACOG sight itself. You know those short horzontal lines underneath the crosshairs. They are actually the width of the shoulders of a target standing at those ranges. Love me some ACOG. The farther the distance the more shots went left or right. (no pattern detected) It needs to be tweaked.

I personally would take the M4, over the Mosin, but if you're in a group, it would be good to have 1 or maybe 2 guys with a mosin for overwatch.

I prefer the M4 because you can make do in ranged encounters, and if need be, you can flank, and re-engage from close-med distance, where the M4 will almost always outgun the mosin.

• Like 2

Just a few minutes ago I decided to have some target practice, as I rarely hunt players, and found a zombie 300m or so away.

Went prone. Lined up the shot. Fired.

The shot registered on the ground immediately in front of the barrel even though I was on a hill sloped down and I was aiming straight across.

Tried it again and garnered the same results.

I have a bipod on my Mosin and when I crouched instead, the shot hit exactly where I intended.

Prone may be iffy atm depending on certain situations. I'd say it's better to go crouched for now or try standing shots if prone isn't working for someone.

Mosin is definitely not one shot kill, even as a headshot.

I've landed a couple headshots with the mosin, it's always a one hit kill.

• Like 2

I like the mosin over the m4. but personally....Im a pistol man. I like to be up close and personal with my victims.

• Like 1

I've killed 3 people with a mosin and it's always appeared to be a one shot. However, all were above the waist.

I don't know what you guys are smokin, but the M4 even without ACOG is damn accurate. I hit running targets on the reg from 200-300 meters standing without optics (pristine parts). Anyone telling you different is lying, butthurt or a poor shot. Are you guys playing in 1080p or much lower res? that could be a factor.

Edited by dystopeon

Me and my buddy are running with one M4 and one Mosin. Feels like a really good combo. I'm not a huge fan of running around with the Mosin on my own though, although I do like using it to scope out areas.

• Like 2

OK I complained about M4 accuracy before but now I tried to film the test and the M4 was very accurate. Easy long shots with ACOG. Something was bugged maybe because I checked that everything was pristine including all the mags and still is. So if you're experiencing weird accuracy try another server or something. Need to find what was causing that.

If you change your FOV scopes are no longer accurate.

Any more info on this? How much accuracy do you lose, and does it apply to all scopes? (ie. redpoints too)

By hitting the '-' key or some other way?

I've got 1 kill against players with the Mosin and all it took was one shot right to the heart.  Silly guy thought he could take on 4 people.

The accuracy on the M4 is shit, but it's still my preferred weapon. 

to quote another player regarding the M4 " believe the dispersion in dayz SA is 0.1, whereas it was 0.00175 in Arma."

Yeah changin your FOV will mess up the mildots in relation to your character eyes, but not the bullet spread, maybe that is the problem most ppl have been experiencing.

Also i think your general wellfare has something to do with your performance on shooting, try going for a shooting session with your belly full and thirst completely quentched, as in eat 3 cans of beans and spam a water tap then rest a bit and try shooting, in my test i was 90% accurate on every shot i called, ranging from 50m to 600m. And yes i use modified fov, maybe 80 degrees on FOV i would guess.

Also would be nice if someone with various medical suplies did some tests as in bloodbag yourself, then shoot, then saline yourself ,then shoot, painkillers, then shoot, so on with all the subtances that are usable right now.

I am pretty sure my accuracy went to shit when i was force fed disinfectant, could not hit anythig, not even closer than 100m.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc

This is with a PU Scope as well. There is literally no zoom using the current PU score which I assume is because the game would have to double render like in Arma3 cause insane lag. 

But yeah. Mosins can hit 1000 yards consistently. The bullet dispersion needs to be reduced. 

Yeah changin your FOV will mess up the mildots in relation to your character eyes, but not the bullet spread, maybe that is the problem most ppl have been experiencing.

Also i think your general wellfare has something to do with your performance on shooting, try going for a shooting session with your belly full and thirst completely quentched, as in eat 3 cans of beans and spam a water tap then rest a bit and try shooting, in my test i was 90% accurate on every shot i called, ranging from 50m to 600m. And yes i use modified fov, maybe 80 degrees on FOV i would guess.

Also would be nice if someone with various medical suplies did some tests as in bloodbag yourself, then shoot, then saline yourself ,then shoot, painkillers, then shoot, so on with all the subtances that are usable right now.

I am pretty sure my accuracy went to shit when i was force fed disinfectant, could not hit anythig, not even closer than 100m.

Interesting, there could be a lot of hidden mechanics affecting accuracy and the base dispersion people have been quoiting could be just a starting point modified by your health/energy, weapon attachment and bullet condition.