-Gews-

Correcting SA ballistics

Unless, they wanted it that way, to make it seem like we are civilians and not trained soldier. However we can only speculate.

Watch out I see the 12 gauge getting nerfed LOL

• Like 1

would be nice to see, but i got really mad at your autism awareness profile picture. please change it

• Like 3

would be nice to see, but i got really mad at your autism awareness profile picture. please change it

pretty sure its autistic to have an issue with somebody else's interests.

pretty sure its autistic to have an issue with somebody else's interests.

pretty sure all runners in the special olympics are winners 

I approve of science... Game wants to be realistic, it should practice what it preaches.

Unless, they wanted it that way, to make it seem like we are civilians and not trained soldier. However we can only speculate.

I don't think you've understood the topic. One's level of training has nothing to do with a projectile's muzzle velocity or its behaviour while in flight.

As well, this is not recommending any changes in damage or weapon characteristics so it can hardly be called a nerf...

• Like 10

No

• Like 4

Any idea if they added wind into the equation now ? or are shots that are hitting left and right just due to the dispersion ?

WOW, good to see someone questioning the in depth dymaics of the game. :D

Your hard work is appreciated have my beans sir ;)

• Like 1

Doesn't matter, civilian or soldier. The bullet and the gun are the same

• Like 1

Any idea if they added wind into the equation now ? or are shots that are hitting left and right just due to the dispersion ?

AFAIK it is just the dispersion

The M4A1 has 100 times the dispersion of an ArmA 2 M16A2, the Mosin has 5 times the dispersion of an ArmA 2 Lee-Enfield.

I would like to see very realistic ballistic profiles for all DayZ weapons. I did two 6 month tours in Iraq as an Infantryman.

• Like 4

AFAIK it is just the dispersion

The M4A1 has 100 times the dispersion of an ArmA 2 M16A2, the Mosin has 5 times the dispersion of an ArmA 2 Lee-Enfield.

If they go to reality with round-ball ammunition (like that being fired from buckshot) they should be using Journee's Formula.  And, if they did your ballistic equivalencies and ranges / speed may be off significantly. 

I just want my bullets to go where I aim them. I've been shooting at zombies less than 50 meters away and standing completely still on a roof and watched the bullets fly everywhere. 

• Like 1

If they go to reality with round-ball ammunition (like that being fired from buckshot) they should be using Journee's Formula.  And, if they did your ballistic equivalencies and ranges / speed may be off significantly. 

I'm aware of how round ball ballistics don't correspond to your normal ballistic coefficients. I used both Don Miller and SAAMI spherical drag tables for 00 buckshot and checked them against each other, they gave very similar results.

As for maximum ballistic range, it is always wrong in ArmA due to the simplistic nature of the ballistic system. You have to make ballistics correct over the effective range of the weapon, no one will be making shots with a 7.62 at 3,500 meters, so it is better to have it perform correctly over the first 1,000 meters or so. For buckshot, the first 100-150 meters.

Journee says 00 buckshot should go 726 yards but this is irrelevant in ArmA - no one will be hitting at that range with buckshot. Anyways, a real-life tracking of 00 buckshot proved it went just under 625 yards at an angle of 30 degrees with a muzzle velocity of 1,020 ft/s, SAAMI and Miller give 600 yards max range... in this instance, closer than Journee.

• Like 2

Yeah, so basically the new .357 Magnum fires its bullets at over 3,050 ft/s... unless you use a speedloader, in which case it's only about 850 ft/s.

class B_357_Single : ChamberedRound {

initSpeed = 930;

};

class B_357_Six : ChamberedRound {

initSpeed = 930;

};

class M_357_Speedloader : PistolMagazine {

initSpeed = 260;

};

Mm hmm. This needs to be fixed ASAP before players start using it en masse, otherwise people will complain about it being "nerfed" if they ever reduce the velocity to the correct levels.

• Like 1

So basically the .357 is the new "sniper" assuming dispersion isn't horrible?

:facepalm:  

Why did they....? I don't even....

So basically the .357 is the new "sniper" assuming dispersion isn't horrible?

:facepalm:  

Why did they....? I don't even....

Dispersion is pretty terrible but the bullet will only drop about 1 meter at 350 meters, and it will basically behave like a revolving M16 otherwise.

I hope it's just another placeholder. Right now it only appears to take the speedloaders though, which are too slow (like the FNX that would mean no chambering single rounds).

• Like 1

Ah ok then, not as bad as I was thinking then. But still bad enough. Thanks Gews for keeping us updated.

So the new SKS is almost ready to go. It shoots 7.62x39mm.

However it has the same 930 m/s (3,050 ft/s) muzzle velocity as the M4, the Mosin, and the Magnum, which have all had that value copy-pasted from ARMA's M16s.

The M59/66A1 should have a muzzle velocity of 748 to 756 m/s. In addition the ballistics for the round are still incorrect, the same as in ARMA. It loses far too much velocity over range.

Updated the OP.

• Like 1

How is it that they screwed up the ballistics so much in dayz ?

Really hope this was not intentional.

Great work Gews!

I usually don't crunch the numbers from the code itself, but I could tell the ballistics were definitely off.

Like you said, hopefully a lot of the values are placeholders for now.  The game seems to strive for authenticity, so I imagine at some point this will be corrected - but you are right in that the real danger here is too many players "getting used to how it works" when it is incorrect and then complaining once it is working properly.

I think posting the raw data here along with your alterations is great, it allows those less educated in ballistics to understand what we're talking about - hopefully the Dev team takes your suggestions.

• Like 2

I approve of science and caring about the details so almost gave you beans but disapprove of useless charts without scales [1] so I took them back. So what exactly is the velocity difference between a DayZ .45 ACP at 150 meters and a real .45 ACP round, 0.00001 %, 0.1%, 10%, 50%?

[1] http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi