Sign in to follow this  
CGNoodlePot (DayZ)

Help I need to calm down...!

Everytime I meet a player I become a nervous wreck. Like HEART PUMPING HARD and feeling not so good in the stomach.

I just spawned with m4 and good gear i collected since playing inside a prison dorm in Balota Apartment Complex, I wasnt even twenty seconds when somebody suddenly came up the stairs with an axe.

I pointed my gun and told him to drop his axe and get on the floor.

He said he couldnt hear me, (might be a bluff and stalling) and eventually complied.

Meanwhile in RL: My dad came downstairs with his real gun and I told him I am talking to someone in the game.

Back to the Game: I checked if he has other guys with him and he said no and nobody seems to be waiting downstairs when I looked.

I asked if he needed food or water he said he had enough.

I told him to get down to the stairs and leave the building. He thanked me and left.

Damn but I feel sick after that. I gotta take a break...

How do you deal with this?

Edited by CGNoodlePot
  • Like 16

Welcome to DayZ!

It's freakin' awesome ain't it?  :D

• Like 1

Welcome to DayZ!

It's freakin' awesome ain't it?  :D

He's got a point. That will barely ever go away, as you're bound to lose something in DayZ and as long as you value that you will have your heart pumping when seeing other players. :)

Meanwhile in RL: My dad came downstairs with his real gun and I told him I am talking to someone in the game.

:P

Everytime I meet a player I become a nervous wreck. Lie HEART PUMPING HARD and feeling not so good in the stomach.

I just spawned with m4 and good gear i collected since playing inside a prison dorm in Balota Apartment Complex, I wasnt even twenty seconds when somebody suddenly came up the stairs with an axe.

I pointed my gun and told him to drop his axe and get on the floor.

He said he couldnt hear me, (might be a bluff and stalling) and eventually complied.

Back to the Game: I checked if he has other guys with him and he said no and nobody seems to be waiting downstairs when I looked.

I asked if he needed food or water he said he had enough.

I told him to get down to the stairs and leave the building. He thanked me and left.

Damn but I feel sick after that. I gotta take a break...

You get acclimated to it over time. I used to get that when I was playing the mod, but after a while your body compensates.

Sort of like being placed into real combat for the first time. Eventually, it no longer phases you. Hope this helps.

This happens to me in competitive games like Dota 2 or SC2 whenever I go ranked games.

I start shaking, not sure of what will happen next, my hands and feet get cold and I am in a tense situation.

Takes 10-15 minutes to recover after that.

In DayZ I try to control myself most of the times, I almost shot someone out of panic but I stopped after 2 bullets fired.

EDIT: @antiami No it doesn't phase out. I have 1500-2000 hours on DayZ Mod and Arma 2 and I still experience anxiety when I find a player.

It's because you fear dying, just like in real life.

Funny, how did Dean manage to do such a thing?

Edited by Hosty

I recall a post once about a neighbor calling the cops on someone playing the mod because they were screaming so loud. 

• Like 1

Here is a tip for you.

Next time don't say anything and start shooting. You know that saying. "Kill them all and let God sort them out." There was this guy in Elektro today. He thought he would impress me if he was fully geared. Dumbass started screaming at me to get down or he was going to shoot me so I sprinted arround the corner got behind a fence and waited for him to show his ugly face. As soon I saw him looking the other way I got out from behind the fence and shot him with my pistol. Sadly the guy didn't ruspawn but clicked Exit so the body disappeared.

Edited by raynor009

You get acclimated to it over time. I used to get that when I was playing the mod, but after a while your body compensates.

Sort of like being placed into real combat for the first time. Eventually, it no longer phases you. Hope this helps.

In real combat you get use to some things and at times you get complacent but my heart raced everytime I geared up, eventually you love the feeling of your heart racing. Also you have rules of engagement in real life, but in the game id just blast away.

This happens to me in competitive games like Dota 2 or SC2 whenever I go ranked games.

I start shaking, not sure of what will happen next, my hands and feet get cold and I am in a tense situation.

Takes 10-15 minutes to recover after that.

In DayZ I try to control myself most of the times, I almost shot someone out of panic but I stopped after 2 bullets fired.

EDIT: @antiami No it doesn't phase out. I have 1500-2000 hours on DayZ Mod and Arma 2 and I still experience anxiety when I find a player.

It's because you fear dying, just like in real life.

Funny, how did Dean manage to do such a thing?

I guess everyone is different. You can condition yourself to it somewhat and get yourself to the point where you can control your response. Gotta keep a lid on that adrenaline rush that is flooding your body.

1. Get some teammates you can trust

2. Shoot anyone who comes 10m or closer to you, or/if that person doesn't listen to you, Just shoot.
3. Find a spot where no one can backstab you or corner you.

4. Play to survive.

My heart still sometimes races when I'm in an intense firefight situation. It happened to me back in July of 2012 because of the DayZ mod and still does sometimes on the SA. I've never had that problem in any other game like even standard Arma 2 or Arma 3 missions/wasteland servers.

Edited by Swordfish

You shot them, and then you don't have to deal with it... lol

I only ever have my heart pumping if I'm in a standoff with someone out in the open or if I'm in close quarters and know someone is in the area.

You get used to seeing people, especially if you like to watch things unfold from afar, but I personally can't get used to close quarters combat in DayZ. I'm afraid to shoot if it's not them, as it gives me away, but if it is them then I am dead.

May karma reward you for not just shooting him. Though the skeptic in me thinks you had no ammo.

Edited by RogueNZ

May karma reward you for not just shooting him. Though the skeptic in me thinks you had no ammo.

I do have ammo 30/30 stalag mags, 20/20 cmac and a few scattered inside my ammo tin box. Looks like having a lot of good gear makes me even more fearful to lose them but yeah, I don't like to shoot people if I know I have an advantage over them but I wonder what if the next one come in armed to the teeth like me? Would I be merciful?

I forgot to add to my story that I told the guy to drop the axe in 5 seconds or I'll open fire. I was literally counting on direct chat.

Shoot? Then chase their friends and send them to Gulag in a boxes? Well, works for me. Actually this pounding heart feeling keeps me playing and killing other players. Not so exciting with unarmed players though so unless they stick around my turf I prefer to let them go. And If they do stick around then I prefer to kill for safety reasons. I don't need no hatchet in my skull while I loot something and I don't need no explanations either. And If they care to come closer just to chat - they willing to take risk and die. Fair deal I guess, happy to oblige.

P.S.

Playing in a team from time to time (If there's enough foes for us to gather). Killed eachother plenty of times due to bad communication. Now it get better. Practice does matter :)

Edited by Jimmy Rustlers

When me and my mates play together, and someone engages on us with guns we just start yelling and laughing while we try to figure out where we are getting shot from.

Good times :D

• Like 1

My beans for you, that you solved the situation like a real man and everybody got out alive :) Many people on this topic seem to prefer the easy way out. You did a good job mate.

• Like 1

You did right, and this is exactly what DayZ is about to me: Getting extremely tense, but still keeping your sht together. I almost axed an unarmed guy yesterday because I heard a zombie nearby and saw a figure moving, but luckily that one sorted out with both of us leaving and the zombie going down.

Know that you can keep yourself above the beasts.

Why would you want to stop that feeling? What other games get you going like that?

I was attacked by a guy with an axe earlier, I ran out of the building pulled out my pistol and gunned him down. My heart was racing but its all about keeping a cool head and trying to solve the situation as best you can, just like real life :)

My heart always races when I encounter somebody as long as I'm not a new spawn, it's why I play this game. 

The longer I survive, the more paranoid I get. Once I found a can opener, an empty pistol and a map while I was quite freshly spawn. I met some guy in an office building. We both stared each other with axes raised and he asked "Friendly?" and I "Yeah". He still wasn't sure so I holstered my axe and we passed by with no blood spilled. If we traded blows I might have lost my precious can opener.

• Like 1

Some people like the adrenaline feeling, I believe that is because they do not have as strong a reaction as the OP, I also have too strong a fight or flight response and understand the OP. I do not do roller coasters or anything exciting that people with tame responses seek to get a slight adrenaline buzz.  Some people have to seek extreme things to feel a fraction of what others get too much of all the time, different wiring.

Adrenaline so much that you feel like barfing, your fingers and toes hurting from it, muscles charged as though for a real death battle is not good for you to have happen too often. Be sure to take breaks and not have that feeling all day long. Breath deep and slow and learning to control it takes time.  Also reccomend getting used to the body realising in game combat is not the same as real by playing pvp games that are lighter scaled for a while, like say Planetside 2 where the consequenses for getting defeated are trivial. After a time, I found I could play more tense games and enjoy them after working my way up to them, the practice has been a good thing.  Berserker barbarian subconcious brain is learning what is real and what is not I guess :)

I recall a post once about a neighbor calling the cops on someone playing the mod because they were screaming so loud. 

I remember that video aswell