Ozelot (DayZ)

Bring back weapon lengths obscuring your movement indoors.

How does it make sense to be able to swing a long ass rifle with a bayonet attached to the end inside of a little tiny hallway? It doesn't.

This needs to come back so that players are forced to make more tactical decisions about what weapon they carry on them and what weapon they use in doors.

If you have a long rifle you need to be forced to switch to a sidearm inside, or carry a more compact weapon. This changes the rules of engagement and makes it so that not one gun will rule them all in the game. you shouldn't be allowed the best of both worlds, both inside and outside engagements.

• Like 4

Alpha

• Like 4

I had always assumed it was an issue with backpacks, not weapons. But you have a point.

Was funnily enough thinking about it earlier. Don't know if that's currently even possible, to be honest. But with my bayonet and my Mosing, which is long enough to mess things up when turning around already - that would be impossible to do in any way.

I'm sorry but who swings a rifle with bayonet? Wouldn't that be a stabbing motion?

Melee weapons already collide with the environment, I don't see the problem.

Yup, I'd totally love to see that beeing implemented!

I'm sorry but who swings a rifle with bayonet? Wouldn't that be a stabbing motion?

'd you ever put a bayonett on the mosin? That thing is like a comms tower :D You wouldn't be able to turn around inside! So that needs fixing

Edited by Weparo

Swing in a sense of turning around indoors. How would you possible be able to turn around with a huge bayonet stuck to a Mosin? That combined is >2.5m already - there's no possible way to turn around indoors.

Alpha

Derp.

I had always assumed it was an issue with backpacks, not weapons. But you have a point.

That is also an issue. The amount of crap you have on your body should also restrict your movement.

Derp.

That is also an issue. The amount of crap you have on your body should also restrict your movement.

All the features that are planned or being thought about are not going to come until later in development, hence Alpha.

Be patient.

Oz: the only problem with it, though, is that it forced you to crawl or vault through some doorways :(

Dude, there are what? Three firearms in the game at the moment? We have some time to wait.

Alpha

Beans!  :beans:

Derp.

Derp right backatcha. Can we get stability and continuity in game before we worry about petty shit? Who cares if your gun clips through a wall if zombies and players do to?

Priorities.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Im pretty sure they're working on it. The cqb stock for the m4 which looks alot like a vltor stock, allegedly increases weapon handling at the cost of some bullet spread...no idea if it actually does that yet tho lol. this brings up some interesting points like randomized bullet spread depending on your attachments 

Beans!  :beans:

Derp right backatcha. Can we get stability and continuity in game before we worry about petty shit? Who cares if your gun clips through a wall if zombies and players do to?

Priorities.  :thumbsup:

I don't care how they priortize it.

The point is that they fix it.

I believe DayZ SA has implemented the Shacktac movement mod, which effectively removed the collision models for weapons allowing you to maneuver inside buildings easier. Me personally, I prefer it is the way it is now. I know it makes sense that the weapon shouldn't clip with the walls and doorways, but it was just soo damn inconsistent that it got too frustrating in both calm and tense moments. 

I am starting to think now though that because it's very easy to lower a weapon, that the ST movement mod should be on when the weapon is lowered, but off when it is raised. Would be a lot realistic that way, it's just a matter of responsiveness. 

• Like 5

I am starting to think now though that because it's very easy to lower a weapon, that the ST movement mod should be on when the weapon is lowered, but off when it is raised. Would be a lot realistic that way, it's just a matter of responsiveness. 

I like this solution. I prefer realism, so having people running around in the tiny post-Soviet peasant huts with their four-foot rifles without constantly knocking over furniture definitely ires me, but having to shoulder your weapon every time you enter a house ires me even more. Gun collision being on except for lowered weapons sounds like the perfect compromise/solution to me.

• Like 1

Thats a terrible idea because it makes the already terrible movement mechanics worse. There's a fine line between realistic and silly.

• Like 1

Thats a terrible idea because it makes the already terrible movement mechanics worse. There's a fine line between realistic and silly.

The movement mechanics aren't actually that terrible. I have no issues whatsoever maneuvering out in the woods, or even in urban environments. The only time they feel clunky is inside of houses.

Why? Because inside of houses are cramped. You're probably used to running everywhere, because that's what you always do in video games. In reality, running in a tiny farmhouse is quite difficult, and as such, the clunkiness only makes sense. Try walking inside of the houses some time, I'm sure you'll notice how it doesn't seem very difficult any more.

One thing they could adjust here is make walking faster. Right now, walking is really fucking slow, it's like a proper ridicilously slow walk. Increase it by like, I dunno, 50% and you have a reasonable speed that is realistic enough and lets you maneuver inside of houses without constantly running into furniture.

Edited by Dejecaal
  • Like 1

Switch to your pistol or an smg.

• Like 1

Instead of restricting movement, it may be better if the character raises the weapon to avoid collision with the wall or objects. I've seen that in another games and it seems to work well. It puts you in a disadvantage if you have to turn 360º you cant use the ironsights and must wait until the weapon is leveled to aim.

Edited by Tourdion
  • Like 2

How does it make sense to be able to swing a long ass rifle with a bayonet attached to the end inside of a little tiny hallway? It doesn't.

This needs to come back so that players are forced to make more tactical decisions about what weapon they carry on them and what weapon they use in doors.

If you have a long rifle you need to be forced to switch to a sidearm inside, or carry a more compact weapon. This changes the rules of engagement and makes it so that not one gun will rule them all in the game. you shouldn't be allowed the best of both worlds, both inside and outside engagements.

It makes perfect sense ffs lol  .... in real life would you turn around holding your hands  and weapon horizontal in tiny hall ways ? no.... you would hold it vertical but the game wont allow this and if it did it would be very clunky and awkward as its arma engine after all and in real life moving your weapon into vertical would happen seamlessly and almost instantly.

Sorry but you haven't thought this through at all and your topic is useless :)

Edited by Massicor

you would hold it vertical but the game wont allow this and if it did it would be very clunky and awkward as its arma engine after all and in real life moving your weapon into vertical would happen seamlessly and almost instantly.

I wouldn't call it "almost instant" -- rifles aren't only long, but also heavy and the kind of objects you tend to want to handle with at least slight care. If a video game accurately replicated handling a large rifle in confined spaces, you'd probably think it extremely slow and "unrealistic". This is because you're probably used to seeing very fast-paced streamlined arcadey video games that don't model things particularly realistically. Anyway, with raising/lowering your weapon vastly improved in the standalone, I still think lowering your weapon allowing you to move freely indoors would be a good solution.

Instead of restricting movement, it may be better if the character raises the weapon to avoid collision with the wall or objects. I've seen that in another games and it seems to work well. It puts you in a disadvantage if you have to turn 360º you cant use the ironsights and must wait until the weapon is leveled to aim.

This is also a good idea, although it takes a little work to implement. Even if this is to be eventually implemented, as a temporary solution I would prefer the "collision on, weapon lowering turns it off" idea from earlier on in this thread.

Edited by Dejecaal

I wouldn't call it "almost instant" -- rifles aren't only long, but also heavy and the kind of objects you tend to want to handle with at least slight care. If a video game accurately replicated handling a large rifle in confined spaces, you'd probably think it extremely slow and "unrealistic". This is because you're probably used to seeing very fast-paced streamlined arcadey video games that don't model things particularly realistically. Anyway, with raising/lowering your weapon vastly improved in the standalone, I still think lowering your weapon allowing you to move freely indoors would be a good solution.

This is also a good idea, although it takes a little work to implement. Even if this is to be eventually implemented, as a temporary solution I would prefer the "collision on, weapon lowering turns it off" idea from earlier on in this thread.

The things is its just adding shit for the sake of adding shit. When i said instantly i meant very fast ...think about it in real life your in a small hall way and have the rifle in your hands and holding it horizontally and turn around but as you turn around you instantly notice the wall and send signals to your brain to quickly move your weapon in a vertical or almost vertical position as it will hit a wall if you don't. That message is instant and you carry out and complete that action within a few seconds ...a rifle isn't heavy enough to add several seconds to doing this and that's just common sense and not just a view held because of watching streamlined arcadey video games as you put it.

In a game your cant replicate this kind of thing especially in the arma engine as its so slow and clumsy ...you would have to think of the gun your using then think about the way you would have to move your character and then the button you would have to press to change the way your character is holding his weapon then you would have to actually carry out the action of pressing the button then having to wait for the character to then carry out and complete the animation/action and all this takes way too long and just makes the game feel painfully slow and unrealistic.

Anyways the topic is moot as the OP seems to think people move around holding guns only horizontally in tight spaces lol.

Edited by Massicor

The things is its just adding shit for the sake of adding shit. When i said instantly i meant very fast ...think about it in real life your in a small hall way and have the rifle in your hands and holding it horizontally and turn around but as you turn around you instantly notice the wall and send signals to your brain to quickly move your weapon in a vertical or almost vertical position as it will hit a wall if you don't. That message is instant and you carry out and complete that action within a few seconds ...a rifle isn't heavy enough to add several seconds to doing this and that's just common sense and not just a view held because of watching streamlined arcadey video games as you put it.

In a game your cant replicate this kind of thing especially in the arma engine as its so slow and clumsy ...you would have to think of the gun your using then think about the way you would have to move your character and then the button you would have to press to change the way your character is holding his weapon then you would have to actually carry out the action of pressing the button then having to wait for the character to then carry out and complete the animation/action and all this takes way too long and just makes the game feel painfully slow and unrealistic.

Anyways the topic is moot as the OP seems to think people move around holding guns only horizontally in tight spaces lol.

It's not "adding shit for the sake of adding shit". Being able to run around unobstructed indoors with your 4-foot Mosin with a footlong bayonet attached to its muzzle is part the reason people are able to play this game like an arcade deathmatch shooter with zombies. It also reduces the effectiveness of short guns like submachine guns, pistols, shotguns (especially sawed-off ones) etc, as they lose one of their advantages compared to long rifles.

As I've said numerous times in this thread, by pressing spacebar you can lower and raise your weapon at will. You can do this in any position, while walking and running, and the animation is very fast. As I've also stated numerous times, the idea of weapons having collision except when in the lowered position sounds very good to me. As you have repeatedly shown in your replies here, you seem to completely ignore this idea.

• Like 1