vitorsa

How about a change in Day/nigth cycle ?

Vote about what do you think in cycle Day/nigth of the game.  

242 members have voted

1. 1. about the cycle

• keep as it is now (24h)
    • Reduce to 12h
    • reduce to 6h
    • make the nigth brigther
    • add some collors to the nigth
    • Reduce to a time not stated here( say bellow)
    • Reduce to 8h
    • Reduce to 4h

at some point it comes to a kind of lose/lose situation, where it's going to be exploited or someone is going to be inconvenienced. the simplest thing (to me) is to let servers set their time, but not change the length of the days or cycles. maybe only let them set the time once every 24 hours, so they can't just set it back when it starts to get dark. they could also do it so the servers are tied to their timezone, but there's an option to offset the server by 12 hours

I agree that if someone can only play from 9pm to 12am, they shouldn't be forced to never see daytime, or join a server halfway across the world. there needs to be some compromise for them

but that will break the game atmosphere, i thinks is better if anyone can play at all times of the day.

I'd like   changed much bored playing on the day and all night because it's the day for some or for others night, the absence of color also do not like .......REDUCE THE F..... CYCLE

Edited by warfar

I'd like   changed much bored playing on the day and all night because it's the day for some or for others night, the absence of color also do not like .......REDUCE THE F..... CYCLE

calm down my friend, but i agree, i get bored playing in a only part of the day.

8 hour server because then it would be night time every other day in the normal guys "after work" time. Or make night darker. As it is now you don´t need your flashlight because you can just increase gamma and brightness. Which sucks

i really think the nigth should be really dark, but i really want some colors in it and i want to play in the nigth and in the day whitout having to change servers.

so i agree with you 8 hours would be great.

I think either -

• 12 hour cycle - 8 hours day. 4 hours night. 
  • 8 hour cycle - 6 hours day. 2 hours night. 

I think either -

• 12 hour cycle - 8 hours day. 4 hours night. 
  • 8 hour cycle - 6 hours day. 2 hours night. 

yeah but you can break it into 1h morning 6hours day, 1 h evening and 4 hours nigth.

and the same w 8 hours.

A shorter day/night cycle would definitely make more sense! I have been wanting this since the mod. 6 or 8 hours. Let's admit it, you don't want to be playing a game that simulates real life to that degree where your hours are just as long. Beside the fact that it's inconvenient for some people to be playing at night every time they log on due to their schedule, or vice versa and never see nighttime, your character is already set at a faster paced timing than real life with him being hungry and thirsty every 1-2 hours. They should go based off that and make it either a 6 or 8 hour cycle. That would basically equal 3 meals a day with 6 hours. 4 hours day 2 hours night. Perfect. Otherwise with the current 24 hour cycle who eats and drinks 20 times a day?

• Like 1

Enjoy the nights while there is no (overpowered) NVG in game and everyone is equal and has to use flashlights.

Enjoy the nights while there is no (overpowered) NVG in game and everyone is equal and has to use flashlights.

well, that will happen. i really hope the cycle will be shortened.

well, that will happen. i really hope the cycle will be shortened.

you can type "daytime" in filter and play on 24/7 daytime server

you can type "daytime" in filter and play on 24/7 daytime server

i want to play in day and nigth, i want to be able to see all not only a part of the day.

I do not want to play either day or night all the time, but once storage becomes possible, I want to stick to a single server. A cycle around 20-23 hours would be nice, still having a long night and realistic transitions, but forcing you to play at nighttime every so often. Given that the engine is on 24 hours, you could simply cut from one to three hours during server restart, preferably from the night.

• Like 1

There isn't even a cycle. It's either night or day depending on when the server last reset. I repeat, a server can not transition. It's not implemented yet and won't be for 1+ year(s) along with everything else. Which is good because the game is super awesome how it is now  :thumbsup: :D

There isn't even a cycle. It's either night or day depending on when the server last reset. I repeat, a server can not transition. It's not implemented yet and won't be for 1+ year(s) along with everything else. Which is good because the game is super awesome how it is now  :thumbsup: :D

Well, when they add a cycle then.

24h cycles actually break the immersion for me.

It is possible to die of starvation/dehydration several times within one day/night cycle of a 24h server. Dont get me wrong, I dont want total "realism" where i could go without food for 3 weeks or without water for 3 days, that would entirely defeat the purpose of the survival mechanics (looting, cooking, resting) already in place providing a meaningful experience to the gameplay and we all have to face one fact: As much as rocket calls DayZ some kind of anti-game it is and always will be a game. I still think that the overall baseline time to starve/dehydration should at least somewhat be reflected in the actual passing of time.

I also dont like that I am kind of "forced" to do one or the other.

Playing at day or playing at night. I would actually like to experience both..and not by logging from  a daylight server to a nighttime server but instead by the time actually passing in a somewhat simulated way that makes it possible to have that dynamic change of scenery gradually happen in a gameplay session. Especially for people with something similar to a 9-to-5-job this can get quite annoying, logging through servers until you can actually "do" something.

I think nighttime play and especially the lighting engine need a rework. Right now Flashlights come in two flavors and both kind of taste like shit.

Flavor one is the handheld flashlight..which is the single most useless object in dayz. Even more so than toiletpaper in the mod.

Your flashlight barely helps you see anything and it gets worse (you see even less) the closer an object is to you. Trying to look for food in a rural home? Get fucked!

Handling is clunky and weird, light doesnt work like that IRL and every enemy (currently: every player not on your steam friends list) in a 2km radius can see you lighting up the house like its an asian paper lamp. Oh yeah..and it gives away your location. You are an "idiot" if you dont try to exploit gamma like every bushcamping wannabe-bandit or selfrighteous wannabe hero already does. Another thing to note is that you are utterly defenseless thanks to the flashlights apparent weight of 20 pounds which forces your Survivor to wield it with both hands, unable to equip even a knife or pistol.

Best usage for a flashlight at night while having a buddy around? Stay outside of the location you want to loot. Flick the switch and point the torch at the approximate location of the desired room, have your friend go inside and enjoy a house that is lit up like amsterdams redlight district. Because apparently houses in Chernarus are made of indestructable paper.

The other one, the headtorch does at least shine where you want it to. Kind of. But dont you dare switch to a weapon and aim down sights. Btw same thing to do when skulking about the nights with a buddy, let him enter, hide in a bush flick the switch and just look at the house - easy loot for the bros.

Something just has to be done, not "right naow" of course, because its alpha, but somewhere down the line some hard calls have to be made design-decision-wise, regarding what nighttime-gameplay should be like, same with the third/first person debate, combatlogging (and yes, if I tell you to drop your weapon, get on your knees and you just log out - that is combat logging), serverhopping, ghosting and so on.

Edited by Golgo82
  • Like 1

24h cycles actually breake the immersion for me.

It is possible to die of starvation/dehydration several times within one day/night cycle of a 24h server. Dont get me wrong, I dont want total "realism" where i could go without food for 3 weeks or without water for 3 days, that would entirely defeat the purpose of the survival mechanics (looting, cooking, resting) already in place providing a meaningful experience to the gameplay and we all have to face one fact: As much as rocket calls DayZ some kind of anti-game it is and always will be a game. I still think that the overall baseline time to starve/dehydration should at least somewhat be reflected in the actual passing of time.

I also dont like that I am kind of "forced" to do one or the other.

Playing at day or playing at night. I would actually like to experience both..and not by logging from  a daylight server to a nighttime server but instead by the time actually passing in a somewhat simulated way that makes it possible to have that dynamic change of scenery gradually happen in a gameplay session. Especially for people with something similar to a 9-to-5-job this can get quite annoying, logging through servers until you can actually "do" something.

I think nighttime play and especially the lighting engine need a rework. Right now Flashlights come in two flavors and both kind of taste like shit.

Flavor one is the handheld flashlight..which is the single most useless object in dayz. Even more so than toiletpaper in the mod.

Your flashlight barely helps you see anything and it gets worse (you see even less) the closer an object is to you. Trying to look for food in a rural home? Get fucked!

Handling is clunky and weird, light doesnt work like that IRL and every enemy (currently: every player not on your steam friends list) in a 2km radius can see you lighting up the house like its an asian paper lamp. Oh yeah..and it gives away your location. You are an "idiot" if you dont try to exploit gamma like every bushcamping wannabe-bandit or selfrighteous wannabe hero already does. Another thing to note is that you are utterly defenseless thanks to the flashlights apparent weight of 10 pounds which forces your Survivor to wield it with both hands, unable to equip even a knife or pistol.

Best usage for a flashlight at night while having a buddy around? Stay outside of the location you want to loot. Flick the switch and shiny the torch at the approximate location of the desired room, have your friend go inside and enjoy a house that is lit up like amsterdams redlight district. Because apparently houses in Chernarus are made of indestructable paper.

The other one, the headtorch does at least shine where you want it to. Kind of. But dont you dare switch to a weapon and aim down sights. Btw same thing to do when skulking about the nights with a buddy, let him enter, hide in a bush flick the switch and just look at the house - easy loot for the bros.

Something just has to be done, not "right naow" of course, because its alpha, but somewhere down the line some hard calls have to be made design-decision-wise, regarding what nighttime-gameplay should be like, same with the third/first person debate, combatlogging (and yes, if I tell you to drop your weapon, get on your knees and you just log out - that is combat logging), serverhopping, ghosting and so on.

well said my friend

Nighttime would be fine if there were actual moonlight.  As I said in another thread, if the moon is obstructed by clouds, then pitch black is appropriate until the clouds move.  Otherwise the moon is quite bright and you can actually see very well at night with a full moon (or even a partial one).  But being completely pitch black all the time is unrealistic.

And yeah, the flashlight mechanics need fixed for sure, but I think that's obvious.

adding more colours to night time doesn't seem realistic, this game is more realistic than any other for the time being. it'd take the survive part out of it and give players an advantage not to use a flash light at all which seems unrealistic at all in real life

adding more colours to night time doesn't seem realistic, this game is more realistic than any other for the time being. it'd take the survive part out of it and give players an advantage not to use a flash light at all which seems unrealistic at all in real life

is not about being realistic, its a game, things like this (in my opinion) wont make diference in the game.