Sign in to follow this  
SvU_Saber

Can opener vs sharp tool

I think this system needs to be a refined more. When the game came out the only thing that could open a can (besides tuna and sardines) was a can opener. Then the devs added sharp tools Yay! no more hunting for that can opener.

The draw back is that all sharp tools open cans the same way as a can opener. I think that there should be disadvantages to using tools to open cans.

I would like to see the following:

1)If using a screwdriver or knife increase the risk of stabbing yourself. For every attempt at opening a can with a knife or screwdriver damage can be inflicted on the character.

2)Also increases risk of getting an infection if the tool is anything but "Pristine" including the can opener in this instance.

3)Plus it should take longer to open a can when using a tool or damaged can opener. Either fails to open it or script it to take longer. 

4)Using a tool or worn/damaged tool/can opener should increase the risk of spoiling the food.

Basicly Risk v's Reward system 

• Like 3

I think this system needs to be a refined more. When the game came out the only thing that could open a can (besides tuna and sardines) was a can opener. Then the devs added sharp tools Yay! no more hunting for that can opener.

The draw back is that all sharp tools open cans the same way as a can opener. I think that there should be disadvantages to using tools to open cans.

1)If using a screwdriver or knife increase the risk of stabbing yourself. For every attempt at opening a can with a knife or screwdriver damage can be inflicted on the character.

2)Also increases risk of getting an infection if the tool is anything but "Pristine" including the can opener in this instance.

3)Plus it should take longer to open a can when using a tool or damaged can opener. Either fails to open it or script it to take longer. 

4)Using a tool or worn/damaged tool/can opener should increase the risk of spoiling the food.

i like it.

you loose a significant amount of the food using a sharp tool... but I agree on some of those it should at least take a little longer to get into a can with a screwdriver...

you loose a significant amount of the food using a sharp tool... but I agree on some of those it should at least take a little longer to get into a can with a screwdriver...

Yes agree, loosing part of the food is definitely a 'risk v's reward' situation.

1. Its not like Im gonna hold the can on my knee while I smash it with a knife? No hurting please. But change of breaking the knife, ok.(depending of the condition)

- If I had no bandages I would take extra cautions to not hurt myself, I wouldnt like if games RNG decided it time to loose a finger.

2. Infection/contamination rate/change shoudnt be tied to item condition, any item should have value for infected of not. Thats why we have desinfected spray.

3. agreed.. except if its an axe, wont take long... the amount of food slashing on the walls could be adjusted.

4. No, if item is not desinfected it should have change of being infected.

-> There should be change(depends the item condition) of food being already spoiled if the container is damaged (ie, damaged 20%, badly damaged 45%, ruined 75%)

Any item should have value of infected or not, that would determine the change of infecting something else... could be can your opening or the other items in the same clothing/backpack.

Edited by Zeppa

Although solid ideas, i don't know why people insist on this hyper-realism by adding mechanics that would happen very rarely in real life

• Like 1

WAAAAAAAHGH 

I GOTZ ME UGE AX' AN IM GONNA CHOP UP THESE 'ERE SARDINES

you open the can with your fireman's axe and lose some of the contents in the process

your can has magically turned from badly damaged to pristine because of the unquestionable glory of the axe

Edited by Wookieenoob
  • Like 1

God damnit...I could open a can of beans with my bare fingers if I wanted too...the can opener is silly. I mean...if a guy has a pack full of canned beans and he manages to die from hunger because he dosent have a can opener then the dayz dev team must think our characters has a IQ of 20 or less.

Edited by svisketyggeren

God damnit...I could open a can of beans with my bare fingers if I wanted too...the can opener is silly. I mean...if a guy has a pack full of canned beans and he manages to die from hunger because he dosent have a can opener then the dayz dev team must think our characters has a IQ of 20 or less.

since yesterday you can open them with any sharp impliment, losing some of the contents.

this includes the axe

• Like 1

Why waste the time on inplementing such things? Fix the god damn thirst instead.

Btw I can open the can with the teaspoon easier than with the can opener in rl. Those can openers never work for me.. if you open your cans with an axe you might get infected, thats why those sterilisers are all over the place. If you just killed the zombie with your axe you must sterilise it. But anyways I will die from thirst before I get infected..

Edited by Nienko

If you havent noticed, using a "sharp tool" makes the canned food lose a bit of its content while using a can opener gives you 100% of the content.

Yup, when i use my axe on cans of food I lose about 30-40% of the food. Jsut got a can opener an hour ago and it does not spill any (:

On 12/19/2013 at 9:58 PM, Zeppa said:

1. Its not like Im gonna hold the can on my knee while I smash it with a knife? No hurting please.

You'd be surprised at the things that may happen when trying to open cans with knives.

However it's not going to break the knife or spoil the food or destroy part of the food. It might make it horribly dull or chip the blade but your food will be okay and the knife will be fixable. Unless you're using something unspeakably flimsy, like a Vic Classic.

Edited by -Gews-

You'd be surprised at the things that may happen when trying to open cans with knives.

IMGP9700.jpg

However it's not going to break the knife or spoil the food or destroy part of the food. It might make it horribly dull or chip the blade but your food will be okay and the knife will be fixable. Unless you're using something unspeakably flimsy, like a Vic Classic.

Oh god the irony in thay picture is killing me :)

I've opened thousands of cans with the knife, and never hurt myself. For me its much more handy then a stupid can opener. Yep its damages blade, this why i have special cheap unsharped knife at home, for cans. I don't know how moronic and clumsy you need to be to hurt yourself, or spill some content, while opening can whit the knife.

Also i'm field geophysicist and have some experience of surviving in the wild. And from my older colleague i've hears a story about one moron geologist ( indoor bookworm taken into field first time maybe) lost his squad and was find almost starved to death with a backpack full of canned meat and fish. BUT IT IS A STORY, LEGEND. EPIC FAIL!!! Why all characters in game a same fags that can not open can without anything sharp. 

Why all characters in game a same fags that can not open can without anything sharp. 

Sorry, I am attempting to understand what sexual preference has to do with ability to open cans. Care to explain?

Edited by Mercules

this.

Sorry, I am attempting to understand what sexual preference has to do with ability to open cans. Care to explain?

Sorry i misused the word, not meant to offense homosexual people. Lets say imbeciles instead.  

I am just wondering: Around here you cannot buy cans that require a can opener. Everything has the same pull ring as the ingame tuna. We have a can opener somewhere in the kitchen, but I would be hard pressed to remember exactly where.

Can opener will leave your canned food at 100%. If you open with other tools there will be different percentage of spillage. (you will only get certain x% of the content)

There is also a disadvantage...you lose some food if you dont open it with a can opener.

if you open a can with an axe you have a chance to infect the food in the can with the Z virus if you previously used the axe to chop zombies.

then the infected food could be used to force feed other survivors muahaha.

DO IT ROCKET!