Sign in to follow this  
armor9

Serious Database Issue!? "BUG"

Please note I am NOT discussing the Database wipe that occurred, I am fully aware of that. 

This has been happening for the last 48 hours, before and after the wipe. 

Two nights ago I logged out by a lake a little north of the dam to get a RL drink.  I logged back in and I was on the coast with a starter character. 

I used that new character and played for 2-3 hours, got some decent stuff and logged off for the night.  I log back in yesterday morning and I am again on the coast with nothing.

I loot Electo, find the market has not been looted and get some good stuff.  Then the DB wipe came, fair enough, I know why I lost this character.

Last night I spawn into the coast with a new character and I am right by the South AF, I loot and get an M4 (my first) I head north, loot military base (nothing) and head to the town just North and log off for the night. 

This morning I log in and again I am on the coast with a new character.  So I start over again.  Get some stuff and then log off to get some work done.  Log back in and I am AGAIN on the coast with nothing. 

There are a few times I've logged back in or hop to a different server as the area has been picked clean (I look for a server with shut doors, not server hopping for good loot, just want to make it a little fun to even find a piece of fruit since loot does not respawn.)  But most of the times I have logged back in I am on the coast with nothing.

Please note, I am not complaining, I know this is an Alpha and that is why I am posting this so it can hopefully be looked into.  There IS an issue with characters not saving to the DB.  What IS odd though, when I first get to the main menu, I SEE my character there with all his gear, but when I load into the game it is gone.  Then when I leave the game, I see the new starting character on the main menu. 

Is anyone else having these issues?  I have not seen the DEVs address this issue yet. 

• Like 3

Many including me are having this issue. Its a bug. When you logg out with connection issues.

Check it out here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154078-save-data%C2%BF/?p=1549805

Also here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154592-temporary-solution-to-lack-of-hud-info/?p=1549898

Please use the search function, or look in the recent Radio Chatter box. Thanks

Edited by Zarniwoop

If a server:

• Is not properly whitelisted
  • Loses connection to the database

Then your character will not save.

As new servers get rolled up, there can be some delay before it gets whitelisted.

• Like 4

Are you seriously proud about your character by hopping through servers ?

Edited by Ozar

Thanks for such a fast reply Rocket.

Is there a way to have the server providers not name of the server listed until it is whitelisted or have "Not WhiteListed" start the name of the server? 

Literally every server I have played on looks like one of the "official" ones.  Is there a way to know if it is whitelisted or not on our end?  Thanks.

Are you seriously proud about your character by hopping through servers ?

I am not hopping to say, loot the AF over and over.  But yes, I do just to a server that has not been picked clean.

How else are we supposed to survive?  I have "died" because I HAVE stayed on a server that had been picked clean.  I could not find a SINGLE food or drink item and YES I was inland not on the coast.  Every single door was wide open and there was not a SINGLE piece of loot.  I ultimately passed out from hunger and thirst.  So yes, so I do not waste 3 hours going over someone elses tracks, I have hopped servers. 

Sorry but until loot respawns, this is kinda a fact of life.  But I do think hopping server to server to server to loot the same area is wrong.  That is NOT what I am doing. 

• Like 1

How else are we supposed to survive?

I get what you saying, and i am not angry (anymore).

My Opinion is:

you dont, you will die, live with it. (thats life, only the lucky once survive)

I get what you saying, and i am not angry (anymore).

My Opinion is:

you dont, you will die, live with it. (thats life, only the lucky once survive)

So only those lucky enough to get on a random server that has either not been looted or just restarted should be lucky enough not to have wasted hours and should just let their character die because loot does not respawn yet?  Sorry but that is just stupid.

Edited by Armor9

Anyone know how we could see which servers are whitelisted?

I don't think it's possible right now. Your best bet is to favorite servers and play on those once they have been on your favorites list for a few days, as you can be reasonably assured they have been whitelisted by then.

Would be nice if a "Filter" was added to the server browser to show only whitelisted servers, but I don't see that happening.

• Like 2

Your best bet is to favorite servers and play on those once they have been on your favorites list for a few days, as you can be reasonably assured they have been whitelisted by then.

Excellent idea.  Going to try that right now. 

Something needs to be done about this. I have lost 4 characters since SA launch and my brother lost 2 this morning alone. Everytime we finally get gear we lose it later, randomly, and with no warning. This is making it impossible to play. If it is a whitelist problem then there needs to be a better process in place so they dont show up in our list at all. If it is a server connection issue, there needs to be a solution found because it happens way too often to brush under the rug. The bug tracker is full of topics with hundreds of people reporting this same problem.

I would politely like to suggest we change the title of this thread to "Character Wipe on Server Change" or something similarly descriptive and pin it for now. We are getting like two dozen threads a day from people who are suffering from this problem, and so far this is the only thread where rocket explains that it's a known issue and how to avoid it.

I would politely like to suggest we change the title of this thread to "Character Wipe on Server Change" or something similarly descriptive and pin it for now. We are getting like two dozen threads a day from people who are suffering from this problem, and so far this is the only thread where rocket explains that it's a known issue and how to avoid it.

Rocket just told us WHY this happens.  There really is nothing you can do to prevent it other than finding some servers thru trial and error and favoriting those servers that dont wipe your stuff at logout/logon.

I just lost two characters (last night and this afternoon) by joining what looked like "offical" servers.....  yes this is alpha... but until the hunger/thrist is fixed, or loot spawns, so I can survive long enough to get off the coast,  Im done "testing".

Rocket just told us WHY this happens.  There really is nothing you can do to prevent it other than finding some servers thru trial and error and favoriting those servers that dont wipe your stuff at logout/logon.

Right, but knowing why it happens means you don't have to post a thread asking why it happens.

You suggest the most reliable way to avoid the issue. Find a low ping server, favorite it, and then let it "cook" for a day on your favorites list. Then you can play on it with a reasonable level of assurance that it has access to the hive.

Above all, don't "server hop." You're very likely to delete yourself by randomly jumping around to different servers.