alaskafish (DayZ)

Random Character Wipes/Resets when Joining the same Official Server? [Possible Bug/Discussion]

First off; let me get some things out of the way. It seems like people end up blaming it on reasons I state in a long paragraph.

• I am joining an official server
  • I am joining the same server
  • I am properly logging off when I play, there is no combat logging or alt+f4'ing going on
  • I am not hacking
  • I know this is an alpha
  • I did not change any settings
  • I'm not on a Private hive
  • Don't say anything about getting attached to your gear
  • My ping was 28, so nothing about ping lag/errors
  • Server did not have  the red chain
  • I did not die ._.

I was playing DAYZ:SA but I seem to have character wipes regardless of which server I join, time I play, or what ever. I can never advance and actually explore the game if my character just resets it's self. Everyday. Every Single Day. And it peeves me a lot. As an Early Access player, I understand that this game is not final, but it is hard for me to give feedback, explore bugs, ect. in order to make the game better if I can not over come this simple bug. 

I recently placed a topic referring to this same problem, but the attention was very minimal. And another user on this forum did as well. I'd like to address the problem formally and see if any other user is having this same problem, and if it is on the developers "to-fix" list.

My Story:

Just recently, I was playing DayZ:SA, and in fact I was doing very well. Probably the furthest I got. I had a pistol, the Mosin scoped, a gasmask I found in a house... quite well at night. And when my friends called, they asked if I'd like to meet them in Kamenka. I journeyed there, and met up with them. We then headed up to Zelengorsk, which on a side note, is the farthest north I've been in the Standalone, and looted the super market. After finding some fuel for our gas lantern, we decided to go up a mountain that over looked Zelengorsk. We tested out some light physics (which I personally love so far) by placing the lantern on the ground then walking away. I then decided to go to the bathroom and get my self a snack afterwards because we were just relaxing. So, I disconnect the server (as I always do because I don't want to see that some player found us) and do what I did. 

So when I return, I press the Play button, not the change server. It placed me back in the server, and while everything was loading, the sounds came in, and all I could hear was the sound of the ocean. And when the game loaded sight, I noticed I had nothing on me except the nine volt battery, the flash light, and the basic starting clothing. So, I called up my friends, and told them what happened. They came down to Kamenka, and picked me up. Later, we go close to Stary, and one of my friends has to walk his dog. So we stay in the tree line, and when he reconnects, he reconnects exactly where he was when he left. No character wipe no nothing.

This is very strange for me, since I cannot do anything about it. Assuming it was a bug, today, I reconnect to play with my friends, they all log in, say they're ready to raid Stary once more, but guess what... I spawned in Elektro, with the battery, flashlight, and pants. Yup, another character wipe. So I take the time to explore why this happened. I disconnected the server, and reconnected, but only to see that I was in the same spot, in the same position (Prone), and holding the flashlight in my hand. So, I go kill my self, and respawn. I try the exact same thing, still same result, it was working normally. Then, I join another server. And Same place, same position, same item in my hand. So, I join many other servers. By the time I finished testing and trying to figure out, I had to go (IRL) and do some things with some friends. I later return at about 9:20 pm, and join a different server (so I could see if it was my regular server or not). Sure enough, spawned in Cherno, with my battery, and you know what else. 

So, my question is if this is documented as a bug or not? Could it be some sort of server hopping prevention mechanic? Even though I was on the same server at first. I just can't understand what's causing only me out of a group of my friends to have it. I'd expect more people to have it, if not everyone, as everyone has the same game. Could there have been an update today? I have updates set to manual, so I know when they come out, and there was only one yesterday.... Not today.

Please, if you could possibly post your story, and if it so happened. If you have any idea why, also tell me. Lastly, if any developers or team members bring this to attention, that would be amazing. And if you have any questions, feel free to post hem.

Because, all in all, this whole problem makes it so players cannot "test" and explore the game. I put test in quotations because, believe it or not, some people are actually testing the game while they play it, like me and my group. 

-Alaskafish

PS - Don't delete this thread... Ty.

• Like 2

There is simple solution for this. It works, no wipes for me anymore. Here is my method:

- when you refresh servers make sure screen loaded most of them (not 10 or 20), wait for more, don't rush
- join the server
- do not press any buttons or move your mouse until your character load

- check if loaded character is your actuall character

- if it's yours, grab your mouse and start playing

- if you spawned on the coast DON'T MOVE YOUR MOUSE or DON'T PUSH ANY KEY
- quick him ESCAPE button and EXIT

- rejoin to the server again and here you go, you got all your gear back

It worked for me many times.

• Like 1

There is simple solution for this. It works, no wipes for me anymore. Here is my method:

- when you refresh servers make sure screen loaded most of them (not 10 or 20), wait for more, don't rush

- join the server

- do not press any buttons or move your mouse until your character load

- check if loaded character is your actuall character

- if it's yours, grab your mouse and start playing

- if you spawned on the coast DON'T MOVE YOUR MOUSE or DON'T PUSH ANY KEY

- quick him ESCAPE button and EXIT

- rejoin to the server again and here you go, you got all your gear back

It worked for me many times.

I'll go try that. But Beck said that there was a complete character wipe just a few minutes ago. If I still get this problem. I'll try it. 

I'll go try that. But Beck said that there was a complete character wipe just a few minutes ago. If I still get this problem. I'll try it. 

Full database wipe just a few hours ago, you won't be getting your characters back from that.

Full database wipe just a few hours ago, you won't be getting your characters back from that.

But if what happened to me earlier... ill try  it

But if what happened to me earlier... ill try  it

Don't bother. Doesn't work. I've tried in 3 times in the past 2 hours, each time still losing all my gear -.-

I just started having this problem today since I started playing after the character wipe. It was all fine monday-wednesday. But today, I'll play for a little while, get off to do something irl and come back onto the same server and spawn on the beach as a fresh spawn. I just stopped playing for the night because it happened to me after a restart. It's just annoying. It's happening to another one of my friends as well. But not to my other friends. 2 of the 4 of us are fine, the other 2 are not... needs to be fixed

What is being done about this? I've lost several well equiped characters just because I switched a server to play with a friend. I don't mind dying and losing my character that way, but trying to play with friends and dying is another story!

(literally found a 35 spot backpack, axe, tons of food and water in an hour, relogged in 1 minute to play with a friend and my char was gone! wtf).

And earlier today, around 7, I developed a fairly well equipped character, and just logged back in at 10. Ran a little further east. Rested. Logged for 2 minutes, came back on, and he was deleted too.

i hate this, happening to me too. i hate it. game breaking, even if it is an alpha this shoudl be top priority, at least if we can just keep the same character there would be an incentive to keep playing from where you left off. that is the core gameplay and motivation to play dayz. its what makes the game the game day z 

Wrong area - moving to DayZ, not DayZ mod.

Unfortunately this being an alpha you have to expect that your character wont last too long. 

Remember the first rule of DayZ is........i forget.......

• Like 3

I just experienced this... just spent several hours crawling around in darkness gearing up... logged in today, had all my gear, went to switch servers and bam, im a new spawn with just a stupid flashlight.... even for an alpha thats really going to peeve people off.. ya you can equip yourself again but its wasted gameplay...

It's a common issue apparently to do with a server's ability to remain connected to the hive. Also, some servers have not yet been "white-listed" and so they will not have permission to access the hive yet and will not store your progress (or be able to retrieve your data from the hive, so logging in to these servers will effectively "wipe" your character).

rocket discusses the issue here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155698-serious-database-issue-bug/

Here's the tracker issue: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=78

You should go there, vote it up and add comments about your own experiences to increase visibility on this relatively critical issue.

In the meantime, I suggest you use the "Favorites" function to flag servers which reliably store your progress, then only play there.

• Like 1

Same have happend for me 2 times, one time yesterday and onetime today, when i relogged server due to a crash i started back at the beach with no gear, i was at the airfield big one at top, and suddenly im at the beach, i tried to relogg the server again but nothing my gear was gone, i restarted the game and computer but nothing helped.

Hope this can and will be fixed in future patches :)

I just experienced this... just spent several hours crawling around in darkness gearing up... logged in today, had all my gear, went to switch servers and bam, im a new spawn with just a stupid flashlight.... even for an alpha thats really going to peeve people off.. ya you can equip yourself again but its wasted gameplay...

indeed, me and my friend ran all the way from Skalisty island --> Elektrozavodsk --> Staroye --> Gorka --> Grishino --> and stopped at the big airfield, me and my friend then got lagg and swapped server, and then poof i started at the beach with no gear,pretty horrible feeling but then again it's an alpha they will properly fix this in future patches, i hope :)

Had the same issue multiple times now and it just seems to be random, no matter what.

I play fine for several hours on different days on the same server, loggin in and out fine with all gear there.

But after the server crashes suddenly, after logging back in i'm at the coast again with no gear.

I just made it to the RP-Settlement and wanted to have some good time there, getting teleported half map away again will not make this any easier.

If this is really a problem with servers connecting to the hive, why not then allowing it for server owners to host a server with a private hive?

The community i play on, has a really reliable server and database so you could enjoy more of the game then just "gearing up".

If this is really a problem with servers connecting to the hive, why not then allowing it for server owners to host a server with a private hive?

Because that's a long term solution to a short term problem. You fix bugs by fixing the code, not by fundamentally changing the server hosting rules.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Because that's a long term solution to a short term problem. You fix bugs by fixing the code, not by fundamentally changing the server hosting rules.

Well, by giving the opportunity to others, it may be that they approach similar problems on a different way and thereby find a possible sollution for the problem itself.

But that's just me, not knowing anything about it ;)

I already had my character "Reseted" something like 6-8 times in 3 days... Today, after again, my character "Reseted" I exited the game and came here, after a while I logged back again but I was still with noting (A fresh spawn), I tried changing servers and on the 3rd try I got my old character (before the "Reset") back... try doing it, maybe it'll help, maybe not... but I guess it's worth trying

Never had a character wipe, until today.  Every time i log out now, i get a fresh new spawn. Doesnt matter which server or if i relog on the same server. still fresh new spawn. I can understand an occasional character whipe, but this is pretty much game breaking.

Hive is being DDoS'ed and the chaps at Bohemia have been asleep because it's only just turned 6am over there

had my second character reset today. First was a couple of days ago. Just got an M4. Logged off for dinner. went to log back in...gone.

Second - had everything. couple of revolvers, a rifle, all the best gear, food, water, meds, etc....and once again. Logged off to go to the shops. come back and it's gone...

God it's soooo frustrating. So much work to get to a certian point and then bang. you go to log on and suddenly you are respawning...

i understand it's an alpha, but it should be the no.1 issue to fix. People will stop playing and subsequently stop giving feedback to help make the game better if they just cant have any fun.

both times during the loading it would be saying waiting for host and then time out and send me back to the lobby. all I can think of is that the servers were unable to recognise my char and reset it. i'm going to stop playing for a while until i stop being mad.  

Interestingly the background of my steam dayz page still shows my character with all his gear....i wonder if this means there's a way to get it back?

Edited by Cantora
  • Like 2

Just find some safe servers, bookmark em and use only those. If ya wanna be sure then just hit change server every time ya wanna play and select a trusted one. Dont know about this database wipe though, my guy is still ok and hes more than a week old now.

Acctually hes more like 2 weeks or more lol, had him well before christmas. I dunno why so many are loosing toons. BTW i play on Fox company gaming, since day1. Never lost a toon there atall.

Edited by Karmaterror

Had a similar problem, thought it was the wipe. Logged out and back in a little while later, and my old character was back. My thinking now is maybe network lag to the hive servers or (hopefully not) those retard DDoS kiddies.