Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

bump: My reply to the reddit thread which discusses the same issue. Thought I might share how I feel with you guys too.

I would say right now, No.

It's been taking shape slowly but surely the past few months, but I am taking an indefinite break until there is more of a fleshed out game. I don't want to burn myself out on it while it's still barebones.

I don't regret buying the Standalone at all, it's been almost an entire year since the first release and I can see how different it was from then to now.

I would just play the Mod: many Vehicles, Different maps, a plethora of different DayZ mod's (Dayzero, Overwatch, Epoch) , some of them are PVP focused, some of them are roleplay focused - there's something for everyone. This is what I envision the Standalone to be some day. When that day comes, then I will say it is worth buying.

edit: I have played 300 Hours. The worst thing was trying to get friends who had never even played the mod before into DayZ standalone.

I think the biggest issue with the game currently has to be how BUGGY and CLUNKY it feels to play.

What am I talking about?

• Getting punched through walls by a zombie

• Getting injured by a zombie hitting the air where you were 10 seconds ago.

• Trying to pull out a weapon, it not working, then when you eventually pull it out you just put it away again.

• Not being able to hear people shooting.

• Phantom zombie noises

• Randomly getting your character reset for no good reason.

• The fact that half the melee weapons are absolutely useless and cannot even hit correctly, or do way less damage than, for example a machete or baseball bat impact would cause. Add this to the glitchy zombie problem , and a new player with no knowledge about the broken melee weapons will have a severe rage quit because they cannot even fight the zed's.

• Loading into the game to "you are unconscious" because a zombie beat you 20 times before you had even loaded up the game correctly.

• Rare Items getting ruined from ONE HIT from a zombie. Infuriating. Also, a metallic pistol getting destroyed by a zombie punching is ridiculous.

I could go on, but the above list is just a select few of the reasons, that anyone I've tried to get to enjoy the game has just had, understandably, less patience in the game than I have and not returned. Its sad, but I just can't get new players interested in a broken experience. That's just the short of it. To reiterate. When the above list is sorted, I think things could be different.

I haven't given up on DayZ yet though, I love reading the development blogs every week, and seeing how things are coming along. I really hope that I can say there will come a time when I can make the same good memories from the mod occur within similar and unique experiences occur with the standalone that aren't ruined by small issues.

Edited by Forrelist

The DayZ Community

cwsVcRQ.jpg?1

Join us. We have beans.

hmm.. you probably meant to use those as an analog to imply how cute and cuddly we are as a community. However, all I can think of is how bad they smell! Seriously my sister had a couple, and her room smelled like a stable. Also she made the mistake of buying two females, and my father had to stitch one of them, after the other spilled its guts out :/ Edited by Mor

I was hoping that the game developement will focus on a bit important issues at first, but appearently they have different plans.

Anyway: wait for the beta. 

There are no intentions to make alpha playable. If you want to participate in testing you can get it now. If you want to play and enjoy it - wait.

Please don't spam this across the board to prove a point.

Hacking:

If you believe you have found evidence of an unknown hack, submit the evidence to one of the Forum Staff and it will be looked into and verified. Please do not make topics or post videos. They will be locked or removed.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

I came here to read "it's in Alpha" from a bunch of people who never played the mod and I was not disappointed!

I wanted to create an account just to add to this discussion:

After seeing the hype and watching some videos last year I decided to buy Dayz Standalone for this new survival gaming experience...

I'm an older gamer and the immersive elements of the game really appealed to me..

First off, my initial impression really blew me away. But after hours of running (and running), being chased by zombies for literal miles, only to be killed by some 12yo who wanted to feed his sadistic desire to force disenfectant down my throat because he watched some pre pubescent YouTuber do it... Or having my fully geared character die from a ladder, or spawning under a building... Or logging in to find all my gear had become "ruined" because of the constant rain etc etc...

Anyways, I felt behind the polished graphics that some really crucial game content was missing to complete or even remotely create a gaming experience that went beyond spawn killing noobs and appealing to the mis guided youths.

I poured over 200 hours into the SA and the more YouTube videos I watched trying to figure out how and why people enjoyed the game, I found one common variable... The people enjoying the game that weren't sadistic, or getting kicks off stealing pants and shooting noobs in the D!ck we're not playing SA, they were playing the mod....

I bought the MOD, and since downloading Epoch I have not looked back. It's been almost six months playing the mod and I can't believe that Dean Hall has managed to steal the money from so many countless suckers willing to white knight his ass yelling "ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA" at the top of their lungs like a group of morons who bought Alienware laptops thinking the branding would make it superior.

I think it's about time for the people who played the Alpha argument LAST YEAR to just stop and re-assess what's actually happened with the game... The updates seriously started slowing down after march, and by the earliest estimates the release went from late 2014... To 2015 and now we are talking 2016. Talk about getting your monies worth (rolls eyes).. I logged back in after a 7 month break only to find that now I can cook meat, die from hypothermia, and now when the zombies walk through the walls to get me, they have a chance to destroy my weapon (???) and ruin any means of healing myself.. As if their hands are ballistic or something.. Yet it takes all 30rds of my precious clip to their head to kill them, and my axe is as effective at killing zombies, as it is at getting myself a broken arm.

To say the game is broken is an understatement, and to say that it is leagues ahead of the mod is utter BS. Here's where the SA is ahead of the Mod: Graphics-by a slight margin because the frame rates in anything other than the woods is abismal at best... That's it... Immersion? Is it immersion when every gun you find is unusable after barely any use? Is immersion having no loot, no weapons, no form of transportation, and when you finally do find a means of survival it's broken at best. I don't know about you but I've never seen an M4 get damaged so badly it can't hit a target at 20yards... I get all these things are meant to make the game harder to play, all It does is make it easier for well geared groups of 12yo kiddies to fulfil their homo erotic needs of taking off another mans pants and dangling their animated nutsack over him (totally not gay)

All of the things SA was supposed to do to make it better than the Mod, it has failed miserably... The cheaters/hackers are barely present on my epoch server, I've seen one in the last six months, I played two days on the SA and encountered more Hackers than actual players.. The stability, what a joke.. The immersive aspects, what's more immersive than running for 6 hours to find rotten fruit and a orange construction hat... The gameplay. How's that new engine working out?? Oh wait, nothing's fixed it's actually worse! Persistance, here's a tent.. There's a 20% chance it will be here with your stuff on server restart... Loot, here's a bandana! Sorry we couldn't give you a bike, here's a different colored hard hat... Zombies, well they still glitch through doors, and now walls! But as a bonus they spawn on top of you, and can hear/see you from a town over.. Did I mention that the diseased little suckers are faster than a healthy adult male? YAY!!!

This is not an "Early Access Alpha", no matter how much steam or Rocket says in little messages when you log in. I can't believe fan boys are still screaming that this many years later. You don't make 60,000,000$ off an Alpha. Please name another game in the history of games that has even come close to this style of release schedule and been considered an early access ALPHA?!?!?!

Anyways, to answer the OPs question.. NO!

I would only suggest buying this, if you have some faith that SA will eventually become a real game that is comparable with the mod. I at this point lost faith.

I will wait around for the "you bought an Aplha" argument, and "have patience, next weeks update will add purple hard hats and bunny rabbits which will be game changing" comments.

• Like 7

<snip>

I would only suggest buying this, if you have some faith that SA will eventually become a real game that is comparable with the mod. I at this point lost faith.

I will wait around for the "you bought an Aplha" argument, and "have patience, next weeks update will add purple hard hats and bunny rabbits which will be game changing" comments.

Hello there

Its alpha. Have patience.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I came here to read "it's in Alpha" from a bunch of people who never played the mod and I was not disappointed!

After seeing the hype and watching some videos last year I decided to buy Dayz Standalone for this new survival gaming experience...

I'm an older gamer and the immersive elements of the game really appealed to me..

First off, my initial impression really blew me away. But after hours of running (and running), being chased by zombies for literal miles, only to be killed by some 12yo who wanted to feed his sadistic desire to force disenfectant down my throat because he watched some pre pubescent YouTuber do it... Or having my fully geared character die from a ladder, or spawning under a building... Or logging in to find all my gear had become "ruined" because of the constant rain etc etc...

Anyways, I felt behind the polished graphics that some really crucial game content was missing to complete or even remotely create a gaming experience that went beyond spawn killing noobs and appealing to the mis guided youths.

I poured over 200 hours into the SA and the more YouTube videos I watched trying to figure out how and why people enjoyed the game, I found one common variable... The people enjoying the game that weren't sadistic, or getting kicks off stealing pants and shooting noobs in the D!ck we're not playing SA, they were playing the mod....

I bought the MOD, and since downloading Epoch I have not looked back. It's been almost six months playing the mod and I can't believe that Dean Hall has managed to steal the money from so many countless suckers willing to white knight his ass yelling "ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA" at the top of their lungs like a group of morons who bought Alienware laptops thinking the branding would make it superior.

I think it's about time for the people who played the Alpha argument LAST YEAR to just stop and re-assess what's actually happened with the game... The updates seriously started slowing down after march, and by the earliest estimates the release went from late 2014... To 2015 and now we are talking 2016. Talk about getting your monies worth (rolls eyes).. I logged back in after a 7 month break only to find that now I can cook meat, die from hypothermia, and now when the zombies walk through the walls to get me, they have a chance to destroy my weapon (???) and ruin any means of healing myself.. As if their hands are ballistic or something.. Yet it takes all 30rds of my precious clip to their head to kill them, and my axe is as effective at killing zombies, as it is at getting myself a broken arm.

To say the game is broken is an understatement, and to say that it is leagues ahead of the mod is utter BS. Here's where the SA is ahead of the Mod: Graphics-by a slight margin because the frame rates in anything other than the woods is abismal at best... That's it... Immersion? Is it immersion when every gun you find is unusable after barely any use? Is immersion having no loot, no weapons, no form of transportation, and when you finally do find a means of survival it's broken at best. I don't know about you but I've never seen an M4 get damaged so badly it can't hit a target at 20yards... I get all these things are meant to make the game harder to play, all It does is make it easier for well geared groups of 12yo kiddies to fulfil their homo erotic needs of taking off another mans pants and dangling their animated nutsack over him (totally not gay)

All of the things SA was supposed to do to make it better than the Mod, it has failed miserably... The cheaters/hackers are barely present on my epoch server, I've seen one in the last six months, I played two days on the SA and encountered more Hackers than actual players.. The stability, what a joke.. The immersive aspects, what's more immersive than running for 6 hours to find rotten fruit and a orange construction hat... The gameplay. How's that new engine working out?? Oh wait, nothing's fixed it's actually worse! Persistance, here's a tent.. There's a 20% chance it will be here with your stuff on server restart... Loot, here's a bandana! Sorry we couldn't give you a bike, here's a different colored hard hat... Zombies, well they still glitch through doors, and now walls! But as a bonus they spawn on top of you, and can hear/see you from a town over.. Did I mention that the diseased little suckers are faster than a healthy adult male? YAY!!!

This is not an "Early Access Alpha", no matter how much steam or Rocket says in little messages when you log in. I can't believe fan boys are still screaming that this many years later. You don't make 60,000,000$ off an Alpha. Please name another game in the history of games that has even come close to this style of release schedule and been considered an early access ALPHA?!?!?!

My god man, have my beans you beautiful human.

Lol, another guy who can't kill zombies worth a damn  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1. ive played the mod

2. i understand you

3. its an alpha

4. alpha means its a material of a construction, not the construction itself, neither its cover.

5. dont complain, dispute new ideas

6. please dude

There may be glitches, and hackers and things that sometimes piss you right off; but there are the good times. Times like that day when you and that black dude you met in solnich gang beat a woman to death for her can opener, only to discover she also had peaches. You and black bambi rejoice in your spoils and run to a nearby lake to revitalize at which time you share said can of peaches. You can't help but notice these peaches don't necessarily taste good, but they feel good; each crescent shaped bite brings you closer to life, and closer to this black fellow who's name you don't know and will never see again. Suddenly. Black dude turns to you and says. "She didn't deserve it man, she was friendly and had no gun, therefore not a threat. That poor girl probably spent three hours getting equipped and we raped that from her for a can opener." It hits you.. You feel bad for killing an innocent girl. guilty even. The peaches, though having no taste, no longer taste right anymore. You're a murderer. Not some kid with a k d ratio. However before you can finish your thought you hear a couple quick bangs, the black kid shout Noooo, You turn just in time to see the barrel of an ak47 pointed at you. The man demands that you sing him a song. He makes you his bitch. Strips you of your manhood. It's funny tbh, though it takes a real toll on your pride. Never have i been so emotionally involved in a game, and this game doesn't even have story line to get involved in. However. just now, you created a story, the story of you and your black friend becoming prey to the cold unforgiving land or Chernarus .

• Like 1

There may be glitches, and hackers and things that sometimes piss you right off; but there are the good times. Times like that day when you and that black dude you met in solnich gang beat a woman to death for her can opener, only to discover she also had peaches. You and black bambi rejoice in your spoils and run to a nearby lake to revitalize at which time you share said can of peaches. You can't help but notice these peaches don't necessarily taste good, but they feel good; each crescent shaped bite brings you closer to life, and closer to this black fellow who's name you don't know and will never see again. Suddenly. Black dude turns to you and says. "She didn't deserve it man, she was friendly and had no gun, therefore not a threat. That poor girl probably spent three hours getting equipped and we raped that from her for a can opener." It hits you.. You feel bad for killing an innocent girl. guilty even. The peaches, though having no taste, no longer taste right anymore. You're a murderer. Not some kid with a k d ratio. However before you can finish your thought you hear a couple quick bangs, the black kid shout Noooo, You turn just in time to see the barrel of an ak47 pointed at you. The man demands that you sing him a song. He makes you his bitch. Strips you of your manhood. It's funny tbh, though it takes a real toll on your pride. Never have i been so emotionally involved in a game, and this game doesn't even have story line to get involved in. However. just now, you created a story, the story of you and your black friend becoming prey to the cold unforgiving land or Chernarus .

Although a you seemed to say all that is one breath; In one insane paragraph. I cannot agree more.

These days I'd rather play DayZ then watch TV. We make the story. We write the script. A little RP goes a long way. I can't exactly say I like being robbed but if it's gonna happen I'd like it to happen with a little wit. A little humor and attitude.

Nice post.

• Like 1

Indeed. I would probably pick it up now, check it out, and then you'll already have it a few months down the road when things really get going.

Haha this is so funny. Made me chuckle

Hello there

Its alpha. Have patience.

Rgds

LoK

Sorry, but you know as well as I do that this is a garbage response at this point.  If the developers cannot at this point commit to a date when it will move to "beta" then it is obvious they have coded themselves into a corner and know that they do not have the coding skillset to deliver a "complete" game as promised.  The only possible way out is to simply squawk alpha any time someone gets suspicious then hope that you can continue this tactic for a few more years until the players have moved on to another game.

I am not trying to cause a fight and you will not find a bigger supporter of the idea of DayZ but if the buyers of the alpha were stock holders the BI and the development team would be in court.  You cannot be taken seriously if you cannot stick to any commitment.  You grew out the "we tried our best" option when the BI bank accounts started growing over six figures.

Please prove me wrong.

If your in the game looking for survival mechanics then now its well above the mod. A temp system you actuall have to pay some attention to, much more in depth food and drink system and better hunting, now the animals behave with a little self preservation, it needstweeking a bitpre release but its much more immersive than a boar running a perfctly strait line while you swing away with your hatchet. 

If its zombies you want then not worth it yet, they are still sparse and on a prototype navmesh (but working very well from my experience past couple of days). Cornered couple of zeds in houses and locked myself inside wth zeds outside, lot of fun now they cant open doors. 

Its all about patience, if you have it buy now and justplay a bit while they build it. If not (and you dont mind paying a bit more) wait for full release. Always remember whenever you buy in you wont have to pay again later for the full game. 

Personally i got no problems with dev speed, they spent a year getting the cloths system, building interiors, food and drink systems and basic balistics systems. Then opened it up and have done nearly everything they promiced for first year except basebuilding implementation. But stuff like hunting, temp, navmesh, animals ect they delivered on, these are core mechanics needed for dayz gameplay :)

Wait at least a year.

If you look at 2014 roadmap, you will notice that most of the features planned for Q3 and Q4 2014 weren't implemented. Once again we're getting promises of incredible, cool features but looking at what they have accomplished so far I'm not convinced at all if they got what it takes to deliver a proper product.

• Like 1

Wait at least a year.

If you look at 2014 roadmap, you will notice that most of the features planned for Q3 and Q4 2014 weren't implemented. Once again we're getting promises of incredible, cool features but looking at what they have accomplished so far I'm not convinced at all if they got what it takes to deliver a proper product.

If the games development has disappointed you that much then stop playing.  

• Like 1

Stop being stingy and just drop the money for the alpha. Don't listen to the "You should wait cause right now the game is too bugged" crowd, their logic is faulty. Why would you wait? Buy it now, for cheaper, even if it is too buggy for your taste right now, you can just hold off playing the game until it's further into development. Waiting just means you'll pay more, and face it, the fact that this is a difficult decision for you just shows you're gonna end up buying it at some point anyway.

Checking calendar...oh wait I see it is still 2014. Nothing proven...yet. One thing that BI has not mastered is milestone estimations.

If the games development has disappointed you that much then stop playing.

Come on man you are better than this. There are valid concerns with this project drifting into vaporware territory. Don't be a zealot.

Stop being stingy and just drop the money for the alpha. Don't listen to the "You should wait cause right now the game is too bugged" crowd, their logic is faulty. Why would you wait? Buy it now, for cheaper, even if it is too buggy for your taste right now, you can just hold off playing the game until it's further into development. Waiting just means you'll pay more, and face it, the fact that this is a difficult decision for you just shows you're gonna end up buying it at some point anyway.

Faulty logic is the assumption that this game will ever reach Beta with the milestones they list, or assuming that by the time it comes out there will not be a competitor who creates something better.

• Like 3

You should wait because nobody guarantees that SA will be finished at some point. It's a risky investement, especially when you still have the free mod that offers similar experience.

It's 30 bucks, stop calling it an investment. I already got my money's worth out of this game, and then some.

Similar experience?!?! the mods are 10,000x better than the PoS Sa will ever be.

There is even talk on other forum sites about starting a class action suit for the BLATANT lies the Devs have used. It would make me cackle to see them try to use their excuses in a real court of law.

How the hell do I have no warning points??! I've been banned several times

Edited by mortaug
  • Like 1

Similar experience?!?! the mods are 10,000x better than the PoS Sa will ever be.

There is even talk on other forum sites about starting a class action suit for the BLATANT lies the Devs have used. It would make me cackle to see them try to use their excuses in a real court of law.

How the hell do I have no warning points??! I've been banned several times

Oh please let this be a real story.

What lies did they tell you exactly? This game is in early alpha stage? Many game-breaking bugs may occur? THIS GAME IS NOT FUCKING FINISHED YET?

Asshat.

• Like 1