Sign in to follow this  
doctorbadsign

Standalone Loot Table Survey Idea

Okay so Rocket has said that the loot table needs balancing. I think that the best way to get an idea for how to improve it would be by using a survey that follows the formula outlined below.

The first question should be "How many hours have you spent playing DayZ?" this can be used to eliminate statistical anomalies (people who've only played for 15 mins will not have found as much loot as people who've played for 12 hours).

The following questions should take this formula:

Q: How often have you found [insert loot category here (e.g: melee weapons, clothing items)]?

A: [A range of options from 'never found any' to 'I often find this item']

Followed by:

Q: How badly do you need [insert loot category here]?

A: [A range of options from 'can't play without it' to 'don't bother picking it up']

I don't know how to set up such a survey, but I'd imagine it would give some useful data for the devs to take into account when trying to balance the loot. If for example a certain item was often found, but never needed it could be changed.

I don't mean to suggest that DayZ should give us exactly what we need everywhere, all the time, but using such a survey might give an idea of how to balance the loot based upon users experience.

Cheers
DoctorBadSign

• Like 1

I think (from community voice) we need a slower rate of hunger and also for cans to be openable by any bladed weapon, including axes, maybe even shoot cans open?

I think (from community voice) we need a slower rate of hunger and also for cans to be openable by any bladed weapon, including axes, maybe even shoot cans open?

I haven't noticed the hunger so much, but I would certainly say the same for thirst. I had a drink and about 5 mins later I was thirsty again. 

In terms of food, I hadn't actually found any so I can't speak for opening tins (I hadn't found a tin opener either).

• Like 1

yeah, make a survey so all the whiny kiddies will say that they didnt found any item in 40+ hours of gameplay, that rocket needs to bump the spawn rates.

Then we have a dayzmod 1.8.0ish game.

yeah, make a survey so all the whiny kiddies will say that they didnt found any item in 40+ hours of gameplay, that rocket needs to bump the spawn rates.

Then we have a dayzmod 1.8.0ish game.

I think this should more be for something that is consistently causing death, even when in groups.

The idea of dayZ for me is long term survival, maybe nobody's good enough at the game yet, but from what I hear surviving sounds like its mostly whether or not you get a can opener, otherwise you're forced to eat rotten fruit and are 100% doomed.

They need to make knife + can = opened can + knife, because can openers are silly their only use is a safer way to open a can without dulling your knifes blade.

You can open a can on a rock or a tree of you're strong enough, on a building or some concrete, slam a fricken door on it.

theres so many ways to open a can Its kind of silly that you can die because you don't have a can opener.

• Like 1

I think this should more be for something that is consistently causing death, even when in groups.

The idea of dayZ for me is long term survival, maybe nobody's good enough at the game yet, but from what I hear surviving sounds like its mostly whether or not you get a can opener, otherwise you're forced to eat rotten fruit and are 100% doomed.

They need to make knife + can = opened can + knife, because can openers are silly their only use is a safer way to open a can without dulling your knifes blade.

You can open a can on a rock or a tree of you're strong enough, on a building or some concrete, slam a fricken door on it.

theres so many ways to open a can Its kind of silly that you can die because you don't have a can opener.

Yeah I agree. This is kinda what I was getting at with the it shouldn't be about what people want in the game, cause you will then just get people asking for guns all over the place. 

What I was getting at was essentially the above. Finding out if there are any items that people cannot survive without, yet also cannot find as well as items that people never pick up that they find everywhere. The latter could be replaced with more of the former to give players a better chance of survival.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree. This is kinda what I was getting at with the it shouldn't be about what people want in the game, cause you will then just get people asking for guns all over the place. 

What I was getting at was essentially the above. Finding out if there are any items that people cannot survive without, yet also cannot find as well as items that people never pick up that they find everywhere. The latter could be replaced with more of the former to give players a better chance of survival.

Yes, the game shouldn't be easy.

But as far as basic equipment needed for the first couple hours of survival goes, I don't think that should be overly rare.

I actually really wouldn't even like to be seeing players with M4's so soon.

I would be happy if most only had mosins and shotguns at his point at what is probably at-least 8 hours in for a lot of people.

But I'm seeing pics of people with payday masks and 50 7.62 rounds M4, Mosin, fireaxe.

I suppose there's a chance they ran right away from the spawn and server hopped...

Consider they haven't added wildlife yet, which will be killable with your knife

though i agree, a can is easy to open, with a knife you can make some small incisions and then grind it on concrete, lid lifts off easily, no strength required.

• Like 1

jesus, it's as easy to open a can with a knife as it is with a can opener, if you cant do it on the game, something's wrong...

• Like 1

I find now that I'm further in game and up north away from the ransacked coast food is less scarce and I literally haven't batted an eye for the past few hours.

Keep spamming food & water until it says your stomach feels full and you never seem to get the messages again :)

Guns = perfect

Clothes = perfect

Tools = perfect

Ammo = perfect

Food is probably fine for now, but as Agentneo said wildlife is coming and I think it needs to be decreased at that point.

It needs to be more authentic in that you can open a can of food with just about any tool. In reality you can just scrape the can on some asphalt and open it that way. Obviously they implemented the fix with all sharp tools being capable, but as of now it isn't working. 

As far as the loot not respawning until server restart I believe that spawns should be randomized to anywhere on the map instead of the coast.  Putting spawns on the coast when the server has been up for 2 hours means that everyone is forced to run north towards the people who will have guns. Having spawns anywhere also balances what areas will be cleanly looted so the entire map should be balanced that way.

Gun spawns are nowhere near perfect. It is from what I've seen impossible to find anything other than a mosin in a residential area. This is not a good mechanic. Pistols, rifles, and shotguns should be in residentials. Gun spawns should be higher and ammo spawn should be rare to the point that it is difficult to get a pack full of rounds.  If you loot balota military base on server restart you will basically find more ammo than you can carry. It should be balanced better.

Could we have a hunger-/thirst-rate thats configurable by servers? Also maybe a configurable loot-table?

I plan on opening a server and I dont want this game to be easy-mode.

- I want starvation to be an issue... and weapons (like guns) to be barely found.

- I want this game to be a game where people can, will and must struggle to survive, fight for their lives and be in real danger.

- I want people to develop their own inGame-characters. You dont need to roleplay, but this game is nothing for 12yo kids who need to turn off mobs in minecraft. This game is a SURVIVAL-game.

TL;DR?: Easy-Mode is for pussies.