Sign in to follow this  
jamestrendall

AMD/Nvidia display drivers crash work around (Your own risk)

Hi so i had a quick search and i found a few people looking for help about AMD/Nvidia display drivers crashing and recovering while playing DayZ, While this isn't the game's fault i thought i would post it here in the hopes i can help others get a "Work around" to this problem.

I was having AMD display drivers crash on me every 30 minutes or so while playing DayZ normally during city's or when my GPU was rendering ALOT. I had a quick search around on the internet and everyone say's to uninstall and re-install your graphic drivers,

I have tried that with no success i have also done a full fresh system install made sure all my drivers are up to date and i still had this problem and after a good search around i have found a great work around to help prevent this from happening (1 week crash free so far)

What cause's the crash=Windows waits for your GPU to render frames if this takes longer then 2 seconds windows restarts your display drivers causing your game to be black screened or you get a BSOD simply changing the TDR from 2 seconds to 60 seconds prevents this

I warn you if you are not confident with trying this DO NOT ATTEMPT this work around.

Instruction's;

Press start, Search for "REG EDIT",

Then navigate to,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ GraphicsDrivers]

Create a a REG_DWORD file called TdrDelay and set the value to 60 (Case sensitive)

ex. "TdrDelay" =dword:00000060

Then navigate to,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ GraphicsDrivers\DCI]

And create a Value called

"Timeout"=dword:00000060 (Sometimes you will see a reg already called "timeout" set between 2-7 you can just change that value.

Having created both of these words in the specified paths, you will need to reboot the machine. The time out  issue should now be fixed

Like i have said above only do this if you are confident you wont mess up any other Reg files. 

I hope this helps everyone else and if you want to see my source you can find it here

I had similer issues with my PC shutting down, It was caused by the PSU not being good enough, the crash was recorded as a driver crash under "dxgkrnl.sys"

Try reading your BSOD crash reports using Blue Screen View and see if yours is the same.

]